HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  #451
CanadianDefenceman
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Curfew for these games is two hours so not an issue. One ten min overtime played, if still tied one point awarded to each. If tied at 5 points each, a game six is required, usually scheduled soon after to meet sched constraints. In this case, game will be played Monday. Have participated in a game 7 in one of these series, where game 6 remained tied after 3 OT periods.

CanadianDefenceman is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
  #452
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDefenceman View Post
Curfew for these games is two hours so not an issue. One ten min overtime played, if still tied one point awarded to each. If tied at 5 points each, a game six is required, usually scheduled soon after to meet sched constraints. In this case, game will be played Monday. Have participated in a game 7 in one of these series, where game 6 remained tied after 3 OT periods.
Game 7 very rare but agree over shootouts!

skating101 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #453
Hockeyplayer9723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
SU 3/3/2013 2:45 PM Brampton 45s vs Southern Tier Admirals -Mohawk 4 Pad - Cogeco
SU 3/3/2013 4:45 PM Oakville Rangers vs Halton Hurricanes -Mohawk 4 Pad - Cogeco

Any predictions?

I'm going with Brampton and Oakville.
Oakville has been on fire and they will win. Brampton and their goalie have been hot while STA has been awful this weekend. STA basically tied guelph and got killed by oakville. Final will be Brampton vs. Oakville.

Hockeyplayer9723 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:24 PM
  #454
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Draft seems stronger than originally thought. Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Spencer, McKenzie seem like serious talents.

Daneurism is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
  #455
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Draft seems stronger than originally thought. Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Spencer, McKenzie seem like serious talents.
Hoping the Petes get their hands on one of these players preferably the first 4!

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
  #456
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,945
vCash: 50
Wow, I've really missed this thread this year.

It's tough being away from Minor Midget Hockey, I've been following it religiously for 5 years now.

I really apologize for coming in with barely any knowledge, but if Sean Day applies for Exceptional (has he officially?), what are the odds that he gets it? 100%? 90%?

This will also be the first OHL Cup that I've missed in 4 years, really heartbroken about that too.

__________________

Senators | 67's | Texans | Blue Jays
Formerly: Manked, Mighty Manked, SeanMonahan
Follow me on Twitter @TyFi10
Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  #457
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Wow, I've really missed this thread this year.

It's tough being away from Minor Midget Hockey, I've been following it religiously for 5 years now.

I really apologize for coming in with barely any knowledge, but if Sean Day applies for Exceptional (has he officially?), what are the odds that he gets it? 100%? 90%?

This will also be the first OHL Cup that I've missed in 4 years, really heartbroken about that too.
Yes Sean Day has applied , that is official. Id say the chances of him getting ES are 120%. Should be announced in the next week or two.

I hear you about minor midget hockey, some of the most exciting games Ive ever seen in my life are from minor midget. For me minor midget is the best hockey to watch, anywhere in the world. Just my preference.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
  #458
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Yes Sean Day has applied , that official. Id say the chances of him getting ES are 100%. Should be announced in the next week or two.

I hear you about minor midget hockey, some of the most exciting games Ive ever seen in my life are from minor midget. For me minor midget is the best hockey to watch, anywhere in the world. Just my preference.
Thanks so much for the info, and completely agree with everything you're saying.

Even something like the OHL Cup is so fun to go to. Getting to see players and then in 4 years seeing them in the NHL is an amazing thing.

Hopefully next year I'll be back to my normal self, going to 3-4 tournaments a year. That would be awesome! I'm going to have to dedicate an afternoon to reading this thread to get my knowledge up for the Priority Selection.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:22 PM
  #459
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Thanks so much for the info, and completely agree with everything you're saying.

Even something like the OHL Cup is so fun to go to. Getting to see players and then in 4 years seeing them in the NHL is an amazing thing.

Hopefully next year I'll be back to my normal self, going to 3-4 tournaments a year. That would be awesome! I'm going to have to dedicate an afternoon to reading this thread to get my knowledge up for the Priority Selection.
Watching a player grow from peewee, bantam, minor midget and onto OHL and NHL is interesting and exciting to watch. Even watching some of the players peak early and tail off is interesting and somewhat sad . Hockey is the best sport in the world. OHL cup is great , u can feel the intensity in the air. I love Silver Sticks too and the top teams from the USA that are involved. Watching Teams from Russia play in the Bantam/Minor midget tourney, watching them shakes hands before games with coaches and players, The full sized flags they wave in the crowd, I love it.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
  #460
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Mark my words on this. By the time the OHL cup is done, every GM will have Dylan Strome as the #1 ranked player in the draft not named Sean Day. He makes everyone better, I cant stress that enough. Strome has elevated his game, to another level in the playoffs. He is unbelievable. Erie will have to decide what they want to do with the #2 pick in the draft. I think Erie need a Dman really badly for example Matt Spencer or a winger for Mcdavid like Crouse. The thing is if Erie have been scouting the GTHL playoffs on the regular they will walk out of the rink confused and probably convinced that its too hard to pass on this big centerman. Strome is the best player Ive seen this year in Ontario. I would not have said that in October, things change. This kid is incredible. I know stats dont mean everything but Strome will surpass 200 points at years end. If u compare his regular season to Hosang 79 pts and Mcdavid 72 points, He had them both beat with 84 points. His skating has grown this year, excellent on the draws, tape to tape passes, surreal playmaking, one of the most accurate shots in his age group. Decision making is off the charts. Strome and Korostelev for me are the 2 best players at using there body to shield the puck. That is huge in the OHL. There is no other player in the OHL draft this year that elevates the other 4 team-mates on the ice like Strome does. He is all meat and potatoes, doesnt need to showboat and turn the puck over, its north/south efficient style of play.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:08 PM
  #461
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mark my words on this. By the time the OHL cup is done, every GM will have Dylan Strome as the #1 ranked player in the draft not named Sean Day. He makes everyone better, I cant stress that enough. Strome has elevated his game, to another level in the playoffs. He is unbelievable. Erie will have to decide what they want to do with the #2 pick in the draft. I think Erie need a Dman really badly for example Matt Spencer or a winger for Mcdavid like Crouse. The thing is if Erie have been scouting the GTHL playoffs on the regular they will walk out of the rink confused and probably convinced that its too hard to pass on this big centerman. Strome is the best player Ive seen this year in Ontario. I would not have said that in October, things change. This kid is incredible. I know stats dont mean everything but Strome will surpass 200 points at years end. If u compare his regular season to Hosang 79 pts and Mcdavid 72 points, He had them both beat with 84 points. His skating has grown this year, excellent on the draws, tape to tape passes, surreal playmaking, one of the most accurate shots in his age group. Decision making is off the charts. Strome and Korostelev for me are the 2 best players at using there body to shield the puck. That is huge in the OHL. There is no other player in the OHL draft this year that elevates the other 4 team-mates on the ice like Strome does. He is all meat and potatoes, doesnt need to showboat and turn the puck over, its north/south efficient style of play.
So based on this.. How do you think the top 5 plays out?

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:15 PM
  #462
Hockeyplayer9723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mark my words on this. By the time the OHL cup is done, every GM will have Dylan Strome as the #1 ranked player in the draft not named Sean Day. He makes everyone better, I cant stress that enough. Strome has elevated his game, to another level in the playoffs. He is unbelievable. Erie will have to decide what they want to do with the #2 pick in the draft. I think Erie need a Dman really badly for example Matt Spencer or a winger for Mcdavid like Crouse. The thing is if Erie have been scouting the GTHL playoffs on the regular they will walk out of the rink confused and probably convinced that its too hard to pass on this big centerman. Strome is the best player Ive seen this year in Ontario. I would not have said that in October, things change. This kid is incredible. I know stats dont mean everything but Strome will surpass 200 points at years end. If u compare his regular season to Hosang 79 pts and Mcdavid 72 points, He had them both beat with 84 points. His skating has grown this year, excellent on the draws, tape to tape passes, surreal playmaking, one of the most accurate shots in his age group. Decision making is off the charts. Strome and Korostelev for me are the 2 best players at using there body to shield the puck. That is huge in the OHL. There is no other player in the OHL draft this year that elevates the other 4 team-mates on the ice like Strome does. He is all meat and potatoes, doesnt need to showboat and turn the puck over, its north/south efficient style of play.
Speaking of spencer, from what i saw he was very good in the SCTA playoffs. His slapshot is more deadly then i thought.

Hockeyplayer9723 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
  #463
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
So based on this.. How do you think the top 5 plays out?
Tough to say, right now, because Im not 100% sure about the Petes pick. I think the Petes might take Korostelev not because he is #3 but for other reasons. I know a few of the kids for a fact will not report there. I think Strome will decide between Erie and Kingston. Kingston for me is the best fit for him with 2 excellent wingers like Watson and Bennett. It couldnt be more perfect for Strome and his playmaking to go to Kingston and combine with 2 excellent fast wingers who can finish.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
  #464
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Tough to say, right now, because Im not 100% sure about the Petes pick. I think the Petes might take Korostelev not because he is #3 but for other reasons. I know a few of the kids for a fact will not report there. I think Strome will decide between Erie and Kingston. Kingston for me is the best fit for him with 2 excellent wingers like Watson and Bennett. It couldnt be more perfect for Strome and his playmaking to go to Kingston and combine with 2 excellent fast wingers who can finish.
And what is the deal with Korostelev anyways? Not a lot of positive things to be said about him on here? Lots of offensive skill? No drive/heart sometimes? Not defensively responsible?

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  #465
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
And what is the deal with Korostelev anyways? Not a lot of positive things to be said about him on here? Lots of offensive skill? No drive/heart sometimes? Not defensively responsible?
I think that sometimes when someone mentions some of a players negatives that they can speak louder than his positives. He missed 8 weeks in the heart of the season. He has heart and drive. He has been back checking more and more from what I see. He is playing the PK. His shot needs NO wind up, just load his stick and its like a sling shot. His hands for me are top 5 and so is his shot and so is his puck shielding abilities. Not many 15 yr old forwards are 100% focused all the time on the other side of the puck. Korostelev is a top notch prospect easily Top 10 and he has lots more potential to grow.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
  #466
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer9723 View Post
Speaking of spencer, from what i saw he was very good in the SCTA playoffs. His slapshot is more deadly then i thought.
Spencer has mind boggling feet and 1 or 2 more gears than most players Ive seen, OHL size, huge shot. Best DMan in my opinion in Ontario. Strome to be honest has blown me away in the last 3 weeks. Thats why I think he is #1 now and Spencer nipping at his heels for #2, for Ontario. Both are incredible. Team needs will play a factor, it would be hard for me to pass on Strome. His hockey IQ the way he see's the ice, Its unbelievable and for me has created a big gap between him and every other forward including the Elgin player who is also extremely talented. No one can elevate his team-mates like Strome. U put any 2 marlboro players on his line and they look like so much better as compared to when they dont have him as there centerman.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:57 PM
  #467
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Tough to say, right now, because Im not 100% sure about the Petes pick. I think the Petes might take Korostelev not because he is #3 but for other reasons. I know a few of the kids for a fact will not report there. I think Strome will decide between Erie and Kingston. Kingston for me is the best fit for him with 2 excellent wingers like Watson and Bennett. It couldnt be more perfect for Strome and his playmaking to go to Kingston and combine with 2 excellent fast wingers who can finish.
Wouldn't Mississauga also be involved here?

ottsabrefan is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:59 PM
  #468
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Spencer has mind boggling feet and 1 or 2 more gears than most players Ive seen, OHL size, huge shot. Best DMan in my opinion in Ontario. Strome to be honest has blown me away in the last 3 weeks. Thats why I think he is #1 now and Spencer nipping at his heels for #2, for Ontario. Both are incredible. Team needs will play a factor, it would be hard for me to pass on Strome. His hockey IQ the way he see's the ice, Its unbelievable and for me has created a big gap between him and every other forward including the Elgin player who is also extremely talented. No one can elevate his team-mates like Strome. U put any 2 marlboro players on his line and they look like so much better as compared to when they dont have him as there centerman.
Ottawa- Day
Erie- Spencer
Petes- Korostelev
Fronts- Strome

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:01 PM
  #469
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Wouldn't Mississauga also be involved here?
Doubt it. Erie and Kingston are the front runners.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
  #470
JLowery
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Hearing Spencer going NCAA! Has recently visited U of M and Michigan State a few weeks ago. Agent pushing the O, parents and the kid want scholly.

JLowery is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
  #471
checkmate3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowery View Post
Hearing Spencer going NCAA! Has recently visited U of M and Michigan State a few weeks ago. Agent pushing the O, parents and the kid want scholly.
Seems that is the rumour and is being kept quiet. Heard the same thing from several sources. Looking for a scholarship.

checkmate3 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:42 PM
  #472
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mark my words on this. By the time the OHL cup is done, every GM will have Dylan Strome as the #1 ranked player in the draft not named Sean Day. He makes everyone better, I cant stress that enough. Strome has elevated his game, to another level in the playoffs. He is unbelievable. Erie will have to decide what they want to do with the #2 pick in the draft. I think Erie need a Dman really badly for example Matt Spencer or a winger for Mcdavid like Crouse. The thing is if Erie have been scouting the GTHL playoffs on the regular they will walk out of the rink confused and probably convinced that its too hard to pass on this big centerman. Strome is the best player Ive seen this year in Ontario. I would not have said that in October, things change. This kid is incredible. I know stats dont mean everything but Strome will surpass 200 points at years end. If u compare his regular season to Hosang 79 pts and Mcdavid 72 points, He had them both beat with 84 points. His skating has grown this year, excellent on the draws, tape to tape passes, surreal playmaking, one of the most accurate shots in his age group. Decision making is off the charts. Strome and Korostelev for me are the 2 best players at using there body to shield the puck. That is huge in the OHL. There is no other player in the OHL draft this year that elevates the other 4 team-mates on the ice like Strome does. He is all meat and potatoes, doesnt need to showboat and turn the puck over, its north/south efficient style of play.
Based on that I am starting to think Erie should take Strome. Think of having McDavid and Strome as your centers. That looks like that could be the best line 1 and 2 centers in the league a season or two from now. It would be tough for Erie to turn that down because they do need another center in my opinion.

OHLFan8771 is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
  #473
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowery View Post
Hearing Spencer going NCAA! Has recently visited U of M and Michigan State a few weeks ago. Agent pushing the O, parents and the kid want scholly.
Playing the US card.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:14 PM
  #474
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Based on that I am starting to think Erie should take Strome. Think of having McDavid and Strome as your centers. That looks like that could be the best line 1 and 2 centers in the league a season or two from now. It would be tough for Erie to turn that down because they do need another center in my opinion.
Sherry Bassin and Erie love the big power forwards, and seem to always pick a big forward in the first round, except for McDavid last year.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
  #475
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Sam Bennett will not move from centre to play wing, for any draft eligible player this year. No one in this year's OHL draft is good enough to replace Bennett at centre.

chewerjones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.