HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released Today

Old
02-21-2013, 10:33 AM
SuchySays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Hahah oh god Sony, you fumbled again with the controller. When will they learn?

In other news.. Todaso: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/s...play-on-a-ps4/
what do you mean again?

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:46 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Wow, Sony. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible?

So, my glorified bluray player PS3 can't play PS2 games, and now my future PS4 can't play PS3 games? Haha, what a joke.

You'd think Sony would learn from past mistakes, oh wai...

Quote:
"The technology is so advanced that some day we could easily stream PS1, PS2, PS3 and the PS Mobile games on any device, including the PlayStation 4," Perry added.
I hope this doesn't mean they're going to try reselling me games that I already purchased and own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
what do you mean again?
Read my previous posts in this thread:

Quote:
Haha I guess. I was in the same boat as you: PS1 over N64, PS2 over Xbox. But then I actually got an Xbox.. It was a much more powerful machine. Graphics were much better (draw distances in San Andreas on PS2 vs. Xbox are laughable) and it had a hard drive where you could burn music CDs to, then play your tracks in-game. I like how San Andreas had it's own radio station dedicated to the music on your hard drive.

I will agree, the original Xbox controller was HUGE and uncomfortable. Pressing the white and black buttons was almost a struggle. Microsoft realized the problem and designed the Xbox Controller S (not to be confused with the 360 controller).

Sony, on the other hand, has refused to change the biggest problem with their controller: the triggers, or lack thereof. The R2/L2 buttons pale in comparison to the triggers found on the Xbox controller. I honestly thought the PS2 controller would feature triggers, but it did not. This didn't really bother me until the PS3 was released and we found out that the R2/L2 buttons were still crappy. I mean, hell, the Sega Dreamcast controller was awesome and it came out a couple of years before the PS2. You would think Sony would take a look at the advancements made by other companies and copy them. Nope.

Button placement isn't the issue. You compared the NES, SNES and PS1 controllers yet failed to include the fact that the button placement is the exact same on the XBox controller that you're so strongly against. Button placement isn't the problem, it's the fact that Sony REMOVED a feature (rumble), installed a cheesy motion feature to compete with Wii (Sixaxis) and failed to change the R2/L2 buttons into triggers. In my opinion, they need to move the left analog stick to the current d-pad location. The left analog stick is generally used for movement and should be aligned in front of you, not in an offset position.

Anyway, speaking of Dreamcast, I really miss some of the games on there. Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Seamen and of course, the start of the 2K Sports franchise. The Dreamcast memory card was pretty freaking awesome as well.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Wow, Sony. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible?

So, my glorified bluray player PS3 can't play PS2 games, and now my future PS4 can't play PS3 games? Haha, what a joke.

You'd think Sony would learn from past mistakes, oh wai...

I hope this doesn't mean they're going to try reselling me games that I already purchased and own.
That isn't a huge issue to me. I had a backwards compatible PS3 and I only played PS2 games for a very short time. I had a PS3, why play the old games? I imagine the affect of this will be similar. I am shelling out big bucks for a new system, why do I care if it can't play my old games? I still have my PS3. As long as it can play used games (which it appears it can), I don't care about backwards compatibility, especially when they are offering it in a streaming format if I really needed to play a PS3 game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Krishna

Galvo, are you willing to pay the extra money for the backwards compatibility? The Cell processor they used was expensive. Putting that back in the console is just ballooning the cost of the system. It's not like you are selling your ps3 right away..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Serious question: before the advent of the internet and next-gen consoles, did people care about backwards compatibility?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Krishna

Probably not really

Old
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

No. If you wanted to play an old game, you just hooked up that system and played it.

02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Probably not really
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No. If you wanted to play an old game, you just hooked up that system and played it.
Yeah that's what I figured. It is a cool idea, but at least for me that function would be rarely used outside of the initial period when I am still finishing up some old PS3 games. And if they are offering this streaming ability and I really wanted to play something like Killzone 3 or Skyrim for some nostalgia purposes, I could play it that way.

That's just me though. I guess I can see some people who are more hard-core gamers than me wanting the ability to play old games.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah that's what I figured. It is a cool idea, but at least for me that function would be rarely used outside of the initial period when I am still finishing up some old PS3 games. And if they are offering this streaming ability and I really wanted to play something like Killzone 3 or Skyrim for some nostalgia purposes, I could play it that way.

That's just me though. I guess I can see some people who are more hard-core gamers than me wanting the ability to play old games.
I use my PC emulators for most of the old games I loved:

Super Metriod
Super Mario 3
Final Fantasy III (VI really)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana

Playstation 3 allowed me to buy digital versions of my favorite PS1 games and I gladly shelled out 5 bucks a piece for them.

PS2 games there's really only a few of them that I would want to replay.

I haven't yet decided if I am going to get a PS4 and if I do, it will not be until after the price drops considerably.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Obviously, but I don't think it is going to affect the feel of the controller other than making it heavier. It looks like for the most part the buttons are all in the same place, no?
The boomerang had the same buttons in the same place too. I suppose in all honesty it really isn't that different, it looks a bit longer then the regular dualshock which isn't a bad thing. I just don't understand what that could possibly be used for. The touchpad I mean.

In reference to the not having things backwards compatible, I'm ok with that. Me personally I don't typically play games more then once, but when I do its usually way old stuff. And typically they will be able to be had for a couple bucks. It sounds like its going to have something like Steam which would be awesome. I never messed around with the PS Store so I'm not sure they had that before but if they do then I am perfectly fine with that.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
I work in an "XBox store" (A GameStop where most employees own 360s, and push their sales over other competitions), but my manager and I were frothing over what Sony pitched for the PS4. It sounds great so far, and it'd be interesting to see if they pull it off. The fact that they completely made this game to appeal to each and every game developer was incredible, AND they went back to a GAMING system, not something to surf the web, download tv/movie apps, play music, etc...play games.

The bar is set high for Microsoft.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I work in an "XBox store" (A GameStop where most employees own 360s, and push their sales over other competitions), but my manager and I were frothing over what Sony pitched for the PS4. It sounds great so far, and it'd be interesting to see if they pull it off. The fact that they completely made this game to appeal to each and every game developer was incredible, AND they went back to a GAMING system, not something to surf the web, download tv/movie apps, play music, etc...play games.

The bar is set high for Microsoft.
I feel bad for you. Also, it's kind of really being dishonest by not giving the customer a choice in a system when they are all sold equally (as in chance to to be sold).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:19 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Galvo, are you willing to pay the extra money for the backwards compatibility? The Cell processor they used was expensive. Putting that back in the console is just ballooning the cost of the system. It's not like you are selling your ps3 right away..
No, the Cell processor was lame. I would sell my PS3 to raise money to buy a PS4. It would be safe to say that if I owned a PS4, I would not own a PS3.

****, my TV only has four HDMI inputs anyway. Cable box, PS3, 360, computer - I'm all out of ports And what gigantic entertainment systems do you guys own that would house all of these components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Not if you sold the old system to raise money to buy the new system. I have also given my old systems away to family members who couldn't afford to buy the systems themselves.

Quote:
That isn't a huge issue to me. I had a backwards compatible PS3 and I only played PS2 games for a very short time. I had a PS3, why play the old games?
Because some of the old games are still very good games.

Last edited by ihatebraydenschenn: 02-25-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Krishna

So I started a be a gm mode with the oilers and did a fantasy draft

After the 6th round, I went for mostly high prospects..

I am currently 5-22-0

Old
02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
So I started a be a gm mode with the oilers and did a fantasy draft

After the 6th round, I went for mostly high prospects..

I am currently 5-22-0
Maybe the game is more realistic than we all thought...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Krishna

Also I forgot to post it..

This is how we lost a game in OT last night

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/152346974

Perfect chop.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So apparently the new Tomb Raider is a really good game. With a coupon, I can get the PC version for 35.99.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:44 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So apparently the new Tomb Raider is a really good game. With a coupon, I can get the PC version for 35.99.
Conan did one of his funny video game reviews on that game last night and I was dying of laughter. I <3 Conan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Or free

Old
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Has anyone found good sliders to play with for NHL 13? It seems like whatever I do the players skate and turn to slow or too fast.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Has anyone found good sliders to play with for NHL 13? It seems like whatever I do the players skate and turn to slow or too fast.
Check operation sports' site

They usually have pretty good ones

Old
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Pretty crazy game sale on Xbox Live.. I got Arkham City for $15.

Bunch of games ranging from $5-$30. Borderlands 2 is $30, which is definitely worth it.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Check operation sports' site

They usually have pretty good ones
Thanks for the info. I found some pretty good sliders that have made the game a lot more fun

Old
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Thanks for the info. I found some pretty good sliders that have made the game a lot more fun
You mind providing a link? I've been searching but can't really find too much.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
You mind providing a link? I've been searching but can't really find too much.
let me look for it real quick

Edit: Here it is

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-sliders.html

The only adjustments I made was I put the game speed one higher than he wrote and I put manual passing on.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Flyerfan808

3 days later, still can't play Sim City.

Go ahead and say I told you so.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote