HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your final tweaks?

Old
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
FlavorFlav

vCash: 500
What are your final tweaks?

Now that the Habs have made some additions, trades and signings, the rest should be minor stuff. What changes would you like to see happen before the season begins to make the team that much better?

I would like to see:

-Ribeiro gone-zo. Adding Samsonov sealed it for me, I just don't see him having a role anymore, let's add a kid in there to develop.

-Abescher traded. Signing Huet was a big deal, and I think Danis is more than capable of handling the back up duties. I really like him, but I think he will be more of a distraction until he's gone.

-Buy out the Bonk-man. OK, we made a mistake, let's just admit and move on. Pay him off, and see ya later. Look at the bright side, it wasn't as bad as the Yashin signing...(then again, will there ever be such a massively retarded signing???)

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
MM425

The departure of Riberio and/or Bonk =

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
Now that the Habs have made some additions, trades and signings, the rest should be minor stuff. What changes would you like to see happen before the season begins to make the team that much better?

I would like to see:

-Ribeiro gone-zo. Adding Samsonov sealed it for me, I just don't see him having a role anymore, let's add a kid in there to develop.

-Abescher traded. Signing Huet was a big deal, and I think Danis is more than capable of handling the back up duties. I really like him, but I think he will be more of a distraction until he's gone.

-Buy out the Bonk-man. OK, we made a mistake, let's just admit and move on. Pay him off, and see ya later. Look at the bright side, it wasn't as bad as the Yashin signing...(then again, will there ever be such a massively retarded signing???)

- Trade Ribeiro when it looks like Plekanec can take over during preseason or whenever, or if an experiment involving moving Higgins or Kovalev back to center works out

- Trade Aebischer when it looks like Huet can hold his own close to like he did last year

- Let Bonk play because buying him out will have some of his contract count against our cap and we wouldn't be able to find ANYONE as effective as him with the money we'd save by buying him out. It only makes sense to keep him for this final year. Also, in the contract year, who knows what could happen

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
tritone

Quote:
-Ribeiro gone-zo.
Quote:
-Abescher traded.
Quote:
-Buy out the Bonk-man.
1. Ribs may surprise people this year, maybe not , but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for one more season before trading him , we've taken too much time for him to develop to just let it slide after one mediocre/bad season.

2. Keep Aebi until Huet has proven he wasn't a flash in the pan. Don't want to reach December with a goalie letting in 5-6 a game and having an unproven NHL starter in Danis.

3. Bonk's contract is ridiculously high for what he brings to the table BUT , I'd rather have him on the third line than in Hamilton. The problem here is that people tend to bash him because he's overpaid . Being overpaid doesn't mean he's not useful to the team. Bonk is a solid defensive forward with a great face-off percentage. Begin Bonk Johnson will be a third line worth their combined salaries IMO

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Bonk is not THAT overpaid. 2.3M$ this year, It's a lot, but not this worst!

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Bryzga lol*

All that can wait til mid season. I wouldn't even try to move those guys right now unless a team presented Gainey with a nice offer.

If Bob waits for a while, teams will end up wanting to trade more for Abby or Ribeiro, likely teams that are fighting to make the playoffs and are missing a key element.

The only harm in not getting rid of these guys now is the salary (which isn't a big deal since Montreal is well under the cap) and a rookie won't get a spot on the team unless someone gets cut. Which isn't a big deal, they're all still young (with the exception of Danis) and playing in Hamilton won't hurt their development.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Traitor8

Bonk makes 2.4 M $ .....buying him out means u pay 2/3 so now you are paying Bonk 1.6 M $ to have him not play for you

so you saved 800k ...I don't think we can get a player for 800k that would be as effective as Bonk so I would rather just have him here.

Traitor8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
Bonk will be replaced by Chipchura next year (not this year, next year) IMO. No way there's a team interested in him at this salary, let's make the best of it. The Habs will roll 4 lines like this year so he fits great on the 4th and PK.

I don't think Aebischer has much value at this time. I never liked him so maybe I'm biased.

I don't like the fact that Ryder is always wanting more money and I think he had a bad season compared to his first year. His wrist shot was not even close to be as deadly as before the lockout and that's what I thought made him great. Maybe it was due to his injury. Can't wait to see what he can do this year fully healthy. But I wouldn't mind seeing him get traded for more speed.

I'd trade only Ribeiro if we can get a great center in return (maybe a package deal with Sourray and/or Ryder) but I personnaly think he'll do great under Carbonneau and with two talented wingers instead of a Bulis/Dagenais on left wing.

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No tweaks, just re-sign Ryder and I'm good to go. I don't think we have any reasonable way of replacing any of Ribeiro/Bonk/Aebischer right now. We have to play with the cards we've been dealt, and I'm ready to see if Ribs and Bonk can bounce back. No risk, really, it's just 1-year deals left on all of these guys. And I think we need Aebischer big time until we've seen how Huet plays. I probably wouldn't trade him even if the market wasn't severely depressed for goalies right now. Given the G-depression, however, there's no way Jose that I just dump him for nothing!!! Not an option.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Marchy79

Ièd still like to see a decent RD coming to the team. If we can score Danny Markov to play with Andrei... thatès what I would want most, however if not... a depth signing, (7-8 guy with a BIT of potential still, not like Todd Simpson) would be my final tweak (other than getting Ryder on a contract that is )

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Ièd still like to see a decent RD coming to the team. If we can score Danny Markov to play with Andrei... thatès what I would want most, however if not... a depth signing, (7-8 guy with a BIT of potential still, not like Todd Simpson) would be my final tweak (other than getting Ryder on a contract that is )

Daniil Markov is a lefty. Unless you meant soemone else?

But overall I do agree with you.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledemers View Post
Daniil Markov is a lefty. Unless you meant soemone else?

But overall I do agree with you.
Actually, on the national team, I believe it was Daniil playing the RD to Andrei's LD... They paired them up (and one of them was playing the right side) and did a good job...
I would be signing on the context of that performance and definately ask him if he's interested in playing his off side defence with his National partner

The Markov's

But if he didnt want to play the RD... yea I would mean another player who does

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

I would like to see:

The Tooth Fairy won't visit you soon. Ribeiro and Bonk will stay for the season and the market for goaltenders is saturated with better ones than Aebischer. Luongo, Denis, and Raycroft have already been moved. Now teams are looking over Belfour (or what remains of him) and pondering the asking price for Biron, Giguère, Weekes, Garon, and others.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
Bonk makes 2.4 M $ .....buying him out means u pay 2/3 so now you are paying Bonk 1.6 M $ to have him not play for you

so you saved 800k ...I don't think we can get a player for 800k that would be as effective as Bonk so I would rather just have him here.
800k pays a rookie....

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
znk

I'll wait until I see part of the training camp.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
800k pays a rookie....
What rookie is better than Bonk????

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:05 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I would like to see:

Sign Carter

Old
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Actually, on the national team, I believe it was Daniil playing the RD to Andrei's LD... They paired them up (and one of them was playing the right side) and did a good job...
I would be signing on the context of that performance and definately ask him if he's interested in playing his off side defence with his National partner

The Markov's

But if he didnt want to play the RD... yea I would mean another player who does
I think I simply mis-understood what you were trying to say.

I thought you were saying that we needed a Right handed defenceman. lol

BUt yes you are correct. Daniil Markov was playing on the right side with Andrei and they did m ake quite the pairing.

The only thing I would not like about having D. Markov is that we would probalby take Komi form playing with A.Markov and I really think he was instrumental in Komi's development. (Not to mention Komi is one of my favorite players).

But D. Markov would be a good addition to the team.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What rookie is better than Bonk????
huh? Lappierre, Chipchura... they have far more potential then what Bonk brings to the table and more hearth

Old
07-21-2006, 08:45 PM
psychonaut

Quote:
huh? Lappierre, Chipchura... they have far more potential then what Bonk brings to the table and more hearth
Potential for sure, better right now maybe. But I would still keep Bonk for the last year, if he is having a good year maybe trade at mid point of the seson, the 2,4 wont be so big there, could be a team in the west that could used some help send us a 4rd or something.

For the rest, I wanted Ribs out, but with samsonov in I want too give him a other chance lets see what he can do, he might just be great with Kov Samy and Ribs, but you have 3 players there that like too dangle the puck too much, I could see Carbo changing that line.

Huet should be great maybe not like last year but I think he can get the job done, but why risk it keep Abi for a bit see how Huet does, look arround if any team need a goolie, there no rush we are under cap.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They couldnt produce at his level this year. I saw chip play junior many times and he has a ways to go. It is a big leap from Prince Albert in the bush to the bigs. Bonk isnt totally useless.

Old
07-21-2006, 09:16 PM
madbox

Still wish we had a better #2 centre, wouldn't have minded Danny Markov either... but in the end I'm pretty satisfied. Our young guys have some room to continue improving and I don't see the need to trade any of them.

As for Bonk, I'd like him to stay. Money aside, I loooved that Begin-Bonk-Murray line when put together. They did great work.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
They couldnt produce at his level this year. I saw chip play junior many times and he has a ways to go. It is a big leap from Prince Albert in the bush to the bigs. Bonk isnt totally useless.
Chip coudn't bring 2 goals and 4 ***? Chip can't be usefull defensively?, can't win face-offs? with only 1 year remainig we could probably trade him for a pick somewhere, we already have Higgins, Pleckanek, Bégin, Murray and Johnson to play in PK, we don't need Bonk