HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 05:03 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
My wish would be to sell the team, but then start up a Canadian equivalent to the US-NTDP, give top 16 and 17 yr old Canadian kids who are considering the NCAA a high level place to play for a couple years until the reach college age. I think a lot of the kids who get drafted at 16 into the OHL almost have to play in the CHL otherwise they have to play down a level for a couple years and stunt their development and head into their NHL draft year playing tier two. Top American kids can play on the U18 team and keep their college eligibility.
Not financial feasible as a business,the USDTP team in 23 home games at Ann Arbor

is averaging 289 yes 289 per game in attendance,heck La Salle Vipers do much better

then that

Old
03-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Ottomatic

^I'd see if I could get them on the USNTDP schedule/set-up. They're based out of Ann Arbor, so basing the Canadian team out of Windsor wouldn't be much of a logistical/travel issue. Could the NCAA pressure the USHL to allow Canadians to play to keep their eligibility.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
^I'd see if I could get them on the USNTDP schedule/set-up. They're based out of Ann Arbor, so basing the Canadian team out of Windsor wouldn't be much of a logistical/travel issue. Could the NCAA pressure the USHL to allow Canadians to play to keep their eligibility.
The USHL allows Canadian players on their member teams,several teams have them

Some teams 2 or 3,there might be an import rule not sure what it is

Old
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Not financial feasible as a business,the USDTP team in 23 home games at Ann Arbor

is averaging 289 yes 289 per game in attendance,heck La Salle Vipers do much better

then that
I guess not. Where does OHL players lose their NCAA eligibility as amateurs? The measley stipend they get weekly? Or playing against players who've signed pro-deals and are sent back?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
The USHL allows Canadian players on their member teams,several teams have them

Some teams 2 or 3,there might be an import rule not sure what it is
Interesting to know. I always thought you had to be American to play in it. I think as that league grows into a better feeder system to the pros that more Canadian kids will head over there.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Who would they play against? Right now those kids do have the option to play in the OJHL or wherever, but most chose the OHL route. If there were enough players interested in the NCAA route, the quality of players would already exist in the OJHL.

I think the OHL scholarship fund is actually pretty good and allows kids to go to good Canadian schools for basically a full ride. I think the quality of education you can get at top Canadian schools outranks what you can get at most of the US schools that offer out hockey scholarships (obviously Cornell, Harvard etc. excepted).

EDIT: N.B. - It is only their NCAA eligibility that they lose by playing in the CHL, they still have the opportunity to play at Canadian Universities and have their schooling paid for.
Difference being that you can play and go to college at the same time in the states. Here, you finish playing in the OHL to get 4-5 years paid for and you're 21 years old heading to college, and will graduate when you're 24-25.

I also think the OHL is in the wrong how it screws over the top players - if you sign a pro-contract than your education package is voided. I think that's bush given you play in the ohl and earn a year of tuition for every year you play in the league - but if a player plays pro than he played for free those four years in the OHL? So the good players, the ones who put the butts in the seats, can't get any special treatment while they're on the team but in reality their teammates who cash in on their scholarships were paid 3-4K a year, whereas the pro-player essentially got nothing? All players get the same coaching and opportunities and perks, but a Kevin Lanoe gets 20K for his time hear, and Adam Henrique got nothing?

Last edited by Ottomatic: 03-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Sec108

Would an AHL team be viable here if a franchise opp. was available???

Wonder how much it would cost to get in the league???

Keep the Spitfires name and be in a real pro league.

When that arena was supposed to be built in Tecumseh on manning near the 401 it was mentioned, we should try to revive those ideas here for the WFCU.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:18 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Difference being that you can play and go to college at the same time in the states. Here, you finish playing in the OHL to get 4-5 years paid for and you're 21 years old heading to college, and will graduate when you're 24-25.
Almost certain you can start your post secondary education while still playing in the CHL. You can then pick up playing university when your OHL days are done and still graduate at the usual age.

Quote:
I also think the OHL is in the wrong how it screws over the top players - if you sign a pro-contract than your education package is voided. I think that's bush given you play in the ohl and earn a year of tuition for every year you play in the league - but if a player plays pro than he played for free those four years in the OHL? So the good players, the ones who put the butts in the seats, can't get any special treatment while they're on the team but in reality their teammates who cash in on their scholarships were paid 3-4K a year, whereas the pro-player essentially got nothing? All players get the same coaching and opportunities and perks, but a Kevin Lanoe gets 20K for his time hear, and Adam Henrique got nothing?
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I would say:

- Players who end up playing pro do get some compensation. They get a stipend (peanuts) and room and board. That's probably worth 4-5k year.

- Players who do not play pro get that 4-5k per year plus another 8+k a year for university.

It's not the Henriques of the world I feel sorry for, it's the Marcus Smith's (former Ranger, did some night school with him at York) who could have had a chance to play pro but it wasn't guaranteed. He couldn't risk losing the scholarship so couldn't risk going to the Marlies tryouts.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Sec108

It's too bad the Red Wings have their afflil. in Grand Rapids.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
It's too bad the Red Wings have their afflil. in Grand Rapids.
I see Verbeek is back in the line up. Windsor should have suspended him for the rest of the season also, for his cowardly act against Saginaw.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
I see Verbeek is back in the line up. Windsor should have suspended him for the rest of the season also, for his cowardly act against Saginaw.
We've got enough players out.

BTW, not to downplay what Verbeek did, but does anyone know what happened (verbally) between Verbeek and the Spirit player? I'm just curious as to whether it was Verbeek going ******* for no reason, or if something was said that he took offence to?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
We've got enough players out.

BTW, not to downplay what Verbeek did, but does anyone know what happened (verbally) between Verbeek and the Spirit player? I'm just curious as to whether it was Verbeek going ******* for no reason, or if something was said that he took offence to?
He took a high stick in the lip,got 3 stitches,I know because I saw and spoke to him,

he also had to write a letter to Mr Branch explaining his actions

Old
03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Libbs

Remember that Ice Track fiasco? Tecumseh had these huge plans with the race track owners to build a 10,000+ seat arena (plus surrounding complex for minor hockey). Well the main promise to tax payers was an AHL franchise. When there was no interest shown (as well as no franchises being available for relocation), the deal fell through.

Why all this diatribe Sec108? I have zero idea what the point is you're trying to make.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Sec108

Just ranting Libbs, this league turns my stomach and am just looking for a way out.

Seeing even with this mem cup bid, and London going out already and selling cup pkgs before the fact, makes me want to puke.

Like they really need to show how much fan support they have.Really???

They sellout regularly and just hosted in 05' and still have to show support.???

No.....the fix is in.

but just as well they deserve it

Theyre the Yankees of the OHL remember

Old
03-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Libbs

You can just stop watching if it bothers you this much... It's just a bunch of kids playing hockey.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Interesting to know. I always thought you had to be American to play in it. I think as that league grows into a better feeder system to the pros that more Canadian kids will head over there.
Ih fact 1 Spitfire draft pick from 2011-D-Mark Freidman a team of Adam Batemans
previously from Toronto is playing for Waterloo,one of the better teams in the USHL
He told the Spits when they drafted him that he would report to camp,but later reneged
like alot of kids do to teams,as he is committed to Bowling Green

Old
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

18 goals + 1 EN. I understand Koekkoek and Sieloff are out but that D out there guys are still in the plans for next year well maybe they should rethink that plan. Compete level isn't good enough. Spits have already given up more goals than they did all of last year. With defensive minded coaches like Boughner and Jones that is completely unacceptable.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Ih fact 1 Spitfire draft pick from 2011-D-Mark Freidman a team of Adam Batemans
previously from Toronto is playing for Waterloo,one of the better teams in the USHL
He told the Spits when they drafted him that he would report to camp,but later reneged
like alot of kids do to teams,as he is committed to Bowling Green
Aren't these kids that are playing in the USHL from Ontario due to their parents having duel citizenship? Sam Gagner played a year in the USHL, Tyler Biggs played GTHL and then moved to USDP for a couple years, Kerby played Belle Tire because he was born in LA and could have played USHL I am sure.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
SimonKnightsman

Canadian kids can play USHL and most that do are slotted already for NCAA scholar deals. Playing on any USNDTP team is a must being American but not other USHL teams.

The USHL, NAHL are all the same as OHL where Canadian/ US kids can play in any league.

Probably 25 percent of teams up here will be yank soon enough with hockey really growing in US at rapid rate.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
18 goals + 1 EN. I understand Koekkoek and Sieloff are out but that D out there guys are still in the plans for next year well maybe they should rethink that plan. Compete level isn't good enough. Spits have already given up more goals than they did all of last year. With defensive minded coaches like Boughner and Jones that is completely unacceptable.
I would not use these 3 past 3 games a measuring stick,especially with 3 of the top 4 defensive ability D out,Bateman defensively is better then Murphy and Sanvido at this time,Spits after the trade deadline went 5-0-0-1 and allowed 11 goals ,and thats with
4 against Sarnia in the last game of a 5-4 win,Koekkoek played the 1st 2 games, and the spits allowed 3 goals, seiloff and bateman were in the lineup for all 6,then the injuries all hit,plus the suspensions thrown and we are where we are,relying on 2 16 year olds,a 17 year old, vail who has never played D before,and Ebert who is the 3rd best D on the team behind Seiloff and Koeokoek
Defensemen except for Ebert should be playing 5-6-7 minutes ie Murphy PP Spec,Sanvido and Brown,are now playing 3-4,1-2 minutes against guys like Strome and Ritchie,big differnce,I prefer to call it short term pain for long term gain
This team when healthy was very competetive,especially on the back end,the short roster has killed this team
As I mentinoned before 1st 30 games Spits missed under 10 man games due to injury,rhe last 33 games its 100 plus another 25 man games due to suspennsions league or team imposed
In fact the spits the 1st 30 games were 12-12-1-5 with a team that could not score
and few injuries as illustrated above,while the nest 33 games a record of 12-19-1-1-
including a 7 game losing streak resulting in trades/moves at the deadline,then post trade deadline 84 man games missed due to injury including 35 plus to the best 2 D
the record the past 24 games is 10-12-1-1 with all the injuries ans susp
I am willing to show latittude ,I would most Spit fans or those who knoe the game would to

Old
03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

There is some latitude I agree but I still think there are large coaching issues on this team and the compete level. There was another goal scored in the 1st minute of the 2nd period today, add in the OT winner in the 1st minute. Some of this stuff goes back to preparation. Over double digit goals given up throughout the year by giving up a goal in the 1st minute of the game, that's not a good sign at all. Forwards have to back check as well but win a bid or not I think you need to clean house.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
OHLTG

I think team confidence is a huge issue, too. When you lose to Erie like they did, that kills your spirit. They came into today's game on a low, then have a powerhouse Niagara team walk all over them in the first period. It makes you go "wtf do we have to do?" Simple. Score a few goals. They did that, got their momentum back, and then POW, Niagara scores their 6th goal. That was the TSN turning point; come back from a large deficit, only to see the deficit grow very shortly thereafter. Any confidence they had was shattered. You could see it in their faces; frustration, fatigue, and just a "what else can we do?" feel.

There are things I'd change, but I'm not the coach. We mentioned a couple of them at the game:

- stop the constant line juggling. How do you get used to your teammates if you never know who you're playing with?

- How is Brady Vail on defence 5-on-5, yet forward on special teams? Who's idea was that?

I'm still waiting for Pavelka to go crazy on someone. It's just a matter of time.

Big crowd in Niagara today, but they weren't overly energetic. Still, it was a fun trip. You can't go wrong with old school barns like that.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:25 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I think team confidence is a huge issue, too. When you lose to Erie like they did, that kills your spirit. They came into today's game on a low, then have a powerhouse Niagara team walk all over them in the first period.
Is Niagara a powerhouse this year? They look pretty pedestrian on paper...sub 500, bottom half of the league in points and middle of the pack on goals for (including that outburst on Windsor today). They looked to be a onel line team and now they are without two of their top 5 players in Theoret and Hamilton. It looks to me like the Strome, Ritchie, and Shipley show now, and not much else...

Old
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Is Niagara a powerhouse this year? They look pretty pedestrian on paper...sub 500, bottom half of the league in points and middle of the pack on goals for (including that outburst on Windsor today). They looked to be a onel line team and now they are without two of their top 5 players in Theoret and Hamilton. It looks to me like the Strome, Ritchie, and Shipley show now, and not much else...
Yes it was the Strome,Ritchie and Shipley show vs Windsor missing 3 of their top 4 defensive dmen,Nfalls coming off a high beating Belleville in Ot at Belleville, while Windsor short rostered and demoralized after losing at Erie
I t should be noted Windsor was missing 6 players missing out with inj/sus and Nfalls had 1 player out big difference

Old
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Strome and Ritchie don't even show that much. Before those guys left for the WJ's they were right there as a 3 seed. Bottom fell out during the WJ's, NHL lockout ends and Hamilton goes pro. Judging a team strictly at one point isn't very smart. They likely get Oshawa round 1 which will be a terrific series if Strome and Ritchie are interested.

Closed Thread