HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL talk Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
  #326
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,910
vCash: 500
How does that work with the salary cap, in the event he plays?

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
  #327
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,733
vCash: 50
Clemmensen 2 goals on 9 SOG.
Maybe Tallas gets in haha

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  #328
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
How does that work with the salary cap, in the event he plays?
does he even play for it to be a cap hit? Doubt its a issue with Florida tho.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
  #329
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Cam Ward just blew out knee or pulled groin or injured his back ... ugh


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  #330
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 94,752
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
The shootout needs to die a quick and painful death.
Ties sucked

Nothing worse then teams playing to a tie and not trying with game tied late

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
  #331
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 955
Looks like Montreal wasn't satisfied with their high scoring game yesterday; another one brewing in Boston.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
  #332
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ties sucked

Nothing worse then teams playing to a tie and not trying with game tied late
Same can be said for the SO; some teams, especially ones good at SOs in OT don't really try to win there. They just play to not lose to get to the skills competition.

In short, shootouts suck worse cause teams can get extra points for something more for an exhibition than a game.

FlyingPhilly is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
  #333
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ties sucked

Nothing worse then teams playing to a tie and not trying with game tied late
Now you have the exact same situation, except that before both teams got "penalized" by only getting one point, whereas now one doesn't. So how exactly does your argument work?

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
  #334
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
should be 10 minute OT beforte shootout

thelos is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:34 PM
  #335
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ties sucked

Nothing worse then teams playing to a tie and not trying with game tied late
cant imagine how the league survived with ties for 80 years. Suprised the league didnt fold.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
  #336
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ties sucked

Nothing worse then teams playing to a tie and not trying with game tied late
Shootouts aren't the problem so much as the volume of games decided by such a gimmick. If the NHL had no option but ties or the shootout, the weight of the argument in favor of the shootout would be increased. The 5-minute 4-on-4 overtime can be and usually is an exciting forumla to determine games. If an expansion to 10 minutes was implemented, easier said than done considering other issues pertaining to the labor issue, but for the sake of conversation the decided games would be held in higher standing than the skills competition which is better suited for All-Star Game formats. Shootouts can be routinely punned by traditionalists and despite Bettman's assertion last season that 75% (or whatever number he used) of respondants were in favor, that number should be mocked not in dispute but as a measuring stick in which 25% of viewers find a potentially important fundamental of the game to be unpopular. Even though I question his 75% support on the matter I maintain that, even if accurate, is an outrageously high unpopularity number for such an event.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-03-2013 at 09:25 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
  #337
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Shootouts aren't the problem so much as the volume of games decided by such a gimmick. If the NHL had no option but ties or the shootout, the weight of the argument in favor of the shootout would be increased. The 5-minute 4-on-4 overtime can be and usually is an exciting forumla to determine games. If an expansion to 10 minutes was implemented, easier said than done considering other issues pertaining to the labor issue, but for the sake of conversation the decided games would be held in higher standing than the skills competition which is better suited for All-Star Game formats. Shootouts can be routinely punned by traditionalists and despite Bettman's assertion last season that 75% (or whatever number he used) of respondants were in favor, that number should be mocked not in dispute but as a measuring stick in which 25% of viewers find a potentially important fundamental of the game to be unpopular. Even though I question his 75% support on the matter I maintain that, even if accurate, is an outrageously high number for such an event.




Unrelatedly, the Oilers were just held shotless by the Wild in the second period. Seven shots through two periods, total.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:54 PM
  #338
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,523
vCash: 6115
I'd be fine with a 10-minute 4 on 4. If neither team can score doubling the length of OT, then it deserves to go to a shootout, no one was obviously good enough for it not to.

GKJ is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
  #339
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 94,752
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
cant imagine how the league survived with ties for 80 years. Suprised the league didnt fold.
By your logic the NHL shouldn't have adopted OT's since they had survived with ties forever

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:54 PM
  #340
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
just watched the Rags-Sabres game. Good god that Kaletta is a dickbag. What a brainless play. If Harry Z gets 4, he should get 25 for that

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:55 PM
  #341
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
By your logic the NHL shouldn't have adopted OT's since they had survived with ties forever
yes, that is my logic.
LOL.

the shootout is a gimmick and stupid way to decide who gets the extra point. Ive hated it since its inception and the whole idea that it makes the game a better product is flawed logic.
the college game has ties after 65 minutes. What a poor product that is

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
  #342
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yes, that is my logic.
LOL.

the shootout is a gimmick and stupid way to decide who gets the extra point. Ive hated it since its inception and the whole idea that it makes the game a better product is flawed logic.
the college game has ties after 65 minutes. What a poor product that is
Ties are awful. To pay/watch/play for 65 minutes and walk away without a winner in professional sports is garbage.

sobrien is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:33 PM
  #343
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
That Kaleta crosscheck was so soft and light that the entire thing confuses me. That's the type of tap that would send Briere flopping.

Not saying Richards dove at all (who would dive INTO the boards) but the hit wasn't that bad, in fact it was barely a "hit".

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  #344
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,171
vCash: 500
So NHL.com's latest pun title for the report on the NYR - BUF game is B-Rick-layer. Yes, he just laid one right there in the middle of the game

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:34 PM
  #345
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Ties are awful. To pay/watch/play for 65 minutes and walk away without a winner in professional sports is garbage.
the shootout is a garbage gimmick.
How many people were hockey fans on this board before the shootout.
I never minded ties. Then again I am older then most folks on thos board.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:54 PM
  #346
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
That Kaleta crosscheck was so soft and light that the entire thing confuses me. That's the type of tap that would send Briere flopping.

Not saying Richards dove at all (who would dive INTO the boards) but the hit wasn't that bad, in fact it was barely a "hit".
And the fact that there was so little contact to generate that result just goes to show why the NHL has (and pretty much was FORCED to) crack down on hits to the back around the boards. It doesn't require much force to knock a guy down from behind when he doesn't see it coming and can't brace for impact, and when his head/neck is basically being jammed right into the hard boards, it doesn't take much for there to potentially be a very serious spinal injury.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:21 AM
  #347
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the shootout is a garbage gimmick.
How many people were hockey fans on this board before the shootout.
I never minded ties. Then again I am older then most folks on thos board.
Ew, you think there are people that young on these boards?

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
  #348
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Ties are awful. To pay/watch/play for 65 minutes and walk away without a winner in professional sports is garbage.
And a shootout is an absolute garbage way to decide a professional game. Go 5 minutes 4 on 4, then another 5 minutes of 3 on 3, someone will score.

And this sounds ridiculous and probably is... but give a half point for a tie, and two points for the win. We'll see how many teams play for a tie after that.

healthyscratch is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:40 AM
  #349
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the shootout is a garbage gimmick.
How many people were hockey fans on this board before the shootout.
I never minded ties. Then again I am older then most folks on thos board.
I'm with you and would be all for going back to ties and no overtime.

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:07 AM
  #350
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
Been actually thinking about coding NHL teams in the terms of "face" and "heels". Just mainly from current general perceptions of them. There's also neutral as well which is mainly for teams that play against heel teams or face teams to basically just be the opposite of that. I tried to looks at this as subjectively as I could.

Faces
Rangers
Devils
Bruins
Hurricanes
Maple Leafs
Jets

Heels
Canadiens
Penguins
Flyers
Sabres
Lightning

Neutral
Panthers
Capitals
Senators
Islanders


Not too sure about the west yet. Thoughts?

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.