HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management

Old
03-03-2013, 10:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Bull, and a cop out. Simple fact is that it is up to a team to get the best out of it's players and most of our players look much worse this year than last. As for "not killing other teams". What have you been watching we are so far from killing anything it's a joke.
How is it bull? Are they supposed to just magically play like they've been playing in the league for years? You think the 18 year olds are just as good as everyone else?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Hire Burke. Seriously. Quickly before Calgary does. Just don't let him offer sheet anyone.

At least you know he gives a **** and will look like someone just pissed in his breakfast every time the team loses.

There's complacency in the organization from the top down, time to get someone in there who breathes a little fire.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hire Burke. Seriously. Just don't let him offer sheet anyone.

At least you know he gives a **** and will look like someone just pissed in his breakfast every time the team loses.
Jordan Eberle for Francois Beaucheman straight across!

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Yeah, but lets not forget before that they missed the playoffs 7 out of 8 years, and were always one of the worst teams in the league in that stretch.
You can say exactly the same thing about the Oilers. 4 seasons of 5th in the division, 3 seasons of 4th and one lone playoff year as the 8th seed. And the NW is a much worse division than the Central.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Hire Burke. Seriously. Just don't let him offer sheet anyone.

I agree, losing would be so much easier if the GM stomped around angrily about it. We could finally have someone to sympathize with in the management group!

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Jordan Eberle for Francois Beaucheman straight across!
If you actually look at Burke's trading record, he wins most of the deals. He also drafts very well and doesn't need a 1st overall to get a good player (hint: he drafted Justin Schultz too).

The move to offer sheet Kessel had the fingerprints of an impatient ownership group anyway.

The Leafs are better than the Oilers, despite the Oilers having three 1st overalls and hitting pay dirt with Eberle too and another two top ten picks in Gagner and MPS. Burke inherited pure crap when he went to Toronto, Tambellini is bumbling around with all this talent unable to ice a competent team even.

Old
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think some people around here thought with three first overall things would change over night. Next year if we see this stuff then I start panicking. This year is about developing the kids.

The only thing I complain about is we need a guy who can bang on the boards and cresh the net and play15+ minutes a night
You never answered the question. Half of our team looks m,uch worse than last year. Eberle and RNh are not the same players, petry and smid look suspect. Nick schultz is an abomination.

Absolutely no one expects the oilers to light it up all the time but there is something very wrong when we just look very bad and that is not attributable to just having young players.

And yes it is okay to panic beecasue we have some really great young players who can easily be ruined by the boneheads. This league has had just as many teams that have failed after getting a series of high picks than ones that have succeeded. There seems to be a perception that management and coaching and team dynamic mean nothing, it's all a matter of birthdays. Simply not true.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:48 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
If you actually look at Burke's trading record, he wins most of the deals. He also drafts very well and doesn't need a 1st overall to get a good player (hint: he drafted Justin Schultz too).
Did HE draft Schultz or did his scouts? There's a world of difference.

The thing that worries me about Burke is he absolutely cannot identify good goaltending. If you don't have it in this league you're even worse than we already are.

Old
YEGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
This team will never go far as long as Steve Tambellina is the GM of the team.
Or Lowe remains involved

YEGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
How is it bull? Are they supposed to just magically play like they've been playing in the league for years? You think the 18 year olds are just as good as everyone else?
How did they play last year, how are they playing this year. EVen our older players are faltering. Jeff Petry has been bad. Nick Schultz is just awful.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Yeah, lets jump the gun and trade our young guys before they are anywhere near their primes, because everyone here is too impatient to handle a team trying to grow into the NHL. Look how long Quebec/Colorado was ****** before they came to the forefront, same with Pittsburgh and Chicago.

I guess with the fanbase we have here though, and their history for running players out of town, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one of the kids gets run out.
Ah yes, the tired hyperbole of saying the only trade to make is one where we trade our young guys.

Ignoring the idea that most people want to surround our young talent with quality veterans and not the garbage we put out most nights.

03-03-2013, 10:55 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Ah yes, the tired hyperbole of saying the only trade to make is one where we trade our young guys.

Ignoring the idea that most people want to surround our young talent with quality veterans and not the garbage we put out most nights.
Sounds great. Who do we give up and for whom?

Old
03-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Soundwave

The only good thing about this year outside of decent goaltending and decent starts for Yakupov/Schultz is that Hemsky and Gagner have tremendously boosted their trade value.

Tambellini can't say he has nothing to work with on the trade market. Start addressing needs. Now.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Sounds great. Who do we give up and for whom?
Ales Hemsky should be a piece dangled.

A gritty physical forward who can score goals and dig pucks out should be targeted. Troy Brouwer is an option. Brooks Laich(when healthy) another option.

Ryan Clowe could possibly be had if the Sharks continue to struggle, though I doubt it costs Hemsky.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Ales Hemsky should be a piece dangled.

A gritty physical forward who can score goals and dig pucks out should be targeted. Troy Brouwer is an option. Brooks Laich(when healthy) another option.

Ryan Clowe could possibly be had if the Sharks continue to struggle, though I doubt it costs Hemsky.
Washington MIGHT want Hemsky, but there's no way in hell San Jose would. Even with Clowe off the books they can't afford him. Washington only has just over 5 mil in cap space themselves, so it's unlikely.

I like that Hemsky's producing this year but that doesn't automatically make him a hot commodity around the league. He's still on the softish side and there are still health concerns. Not to mention he's got another year left on his deal.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:05 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I think we need to make at least five more fire management threads.

And two more fire Kruegers.

THAT should get the Oilers attention!
Sarcasm aside Tad, what, in your opinion, is it going to take to "get management's attention"?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:05 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

Hey if we can get something useful for Hemsky or Eager or even Harti or Petry I'm all for it. I just think with a team on the ropes who's fans are going nuts like ours, other teams are going to try to poach, and that's probably why there hasn't been as many moves as we've liked.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
The only good thing about this year outside of decent goaltending and decent starts for Yakupov/Schultz is that Hemsky and Gagner have tremendously boosted their trade value.

Tambellini can't say he has nothing to work with on the trade market. Start addressing needs. Now.
a desperate GM like Tambo will lose every time when he's looking for a shake-up

plus, I dont trust this management group...years of player mis-management, bad trades, bad UFA signings and questionable coaching hires has made me cynical

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
We need to address toughness/size. That to me is our biggest weakness, surely it doesn't require a huge price?
Several teams are in the same boat as the Oil. In need of size and toughness in a player that can actually play more than 4 minutes a night. It would probably cost more than you think to bring in a player like that

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Several teams are in the same boat as the Oil. In need of size and toughness in a player that can actually play more than 4 minutes a night. It would probably cost more than you think to bring in a player like that
Just look at Brandon Prust's salary...

Old
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

The team can't draft or develop players whatsoever and any player that is brought in via free agency or trade plays the worst hockey of their career. The years we managed to get the surefire first overall picks that we don't have to have any kind of extra skill develop, happened to be some of the most mediocre first overall drafts in recent memory. There's no winning tradition with this team. It's a graveyard.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Sarcasm aside Tad, what, in your opinion, is it going to take to "get management's attention"?
Stop going to the games

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Asher

Quote:
Just look at Brandon Prust's salary...
Sometimes you gotta overpay to fill a team deficiency. If the Oilers go out and sign a guy like Prust for that kind of money I, for one, won't complain about it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Ill leave this here...

We all want to talk trades and fire coaches... But for those talking about needing personnel change, look at the 2009-2010 roster on hockeydb, out of the 40 players that played that season, over 75% of our roster has been overhauled in 2 years.

Yes, 7 skaters and 2 goalies remain from FOURTY!!!

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Sometimes you gotta overpay to fill a team deficiency. If the Oilers go out and sign a guy like Prust for that kind of money I, for one, won't complain about it.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying look at what those guys are commanding.

I can already see Clowe hitting UFA status and demanding 3.5+