HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Prospects depth

Old
07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
yoteshot

vCash: 500
Prospects depth

I was looking to our prospect pool and the depth is just incredible. I think we all agree that these young players won't all do it to the NHL nor that they will with the Habs. But the quantity of players who have the potential to get to the big league and play on a regular basis (top-9 forward, top-5 D-men, 1st goalie) is just incredible.

Looking at it quickly, here's which players I can see becoming regulars someday:

Price
Chipchura
Latendresse
Danis (with another team)
Emelin
O'Byrne
Grabovsky
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Mikus
Aubin
Lapierre
Korpikari
D'agostini
Fischer
Maxwell
White
Valentenko
Cepek
Gleed
Carle
Wyman

What do you think about such a great depth?

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_kovalev_7 View Post
I was looking to our prospect pool and the depth is just incredible. I think we all agree that these young players won't all do it to the NHL nor that they will with the Habs. But the quantity of players who have the potential to get to the big league and play on a regular basis (top-9 forward, top-5 D-men, 1st goalie) is just incredible.

Looking at it quickly, here's which players I can see becoming regulars someday:

Price
Chipchura
Latendresse
Emelin
O'Byrne
Grabovsky
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Mikus
Aubin
Lapierre
Korpikari
D'agostini
Fischer
Maxwell
White
Valentenko
Cepek
Gleed
Carle
Wyman

I wouldnt put in that list those players, since they could really go either way.

O'Byrne
Mikus
Carle
Maxwell
Gleed
Cepek
Valentenko
White
Korpikari
Aubin
S.Kost
Danis(any team)

So the list would be something like imo.

Price
Chipchura
Latendresse
Emelin
Grabovsky
A.Kostitsyn
Lapierre
D'agostini
Fischer

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
phil

I'd put S.Kostisyn in the list of sure shots, he's REALY talented and for having seen him play a few times on TV he really impressed me... plus it would be awesome to have the Kostisyn bros on the same line one day...

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:54 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Price
Chipchura
Latendresse
Emelin
O'Byrne
Grabovsky
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Mikus
Aubin
Lapierre
Korpikari
D'agostini
Fischer
Maxwell
White
Valentenko
Cepek
Gleed
Carle
Wyman

Good drafting, patience and nurturance. Andre Savard and Bob Gaineys' stabilizing influence on the organization.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:18 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I'd put S.Kostisyn in the list of sure shots, he's REALY talented and for having seen him play a few times on TV he really impressed me... plus it would be awesome to have the Kostisyn bros on the same line one day...
Skating will be his achilles, he can still dominate in the junior, maybe even AHL, but in the NHL it could be hard for him. Talent is really not the issue here.

Old
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I wouldnt put in that list those players, since they could really go either way.

O'Byrne
Mikus
Carle
Maxwell
Gleed
Cepek
Valentenko
White
Korpikari
Aubin
S.Kost
Danis(any team)

So the list would be something like imo.

Price
Chipchura
Latendresse
Emelin
Grabovsky
A.Kostitsyn
Lapierre
D'agostini
Fischer
OByrn

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
OByrn
2 years away, jury is still out, even if its looking good.

Old
07-21-2006, 08:34 PM
hab

I do think we have good depth, but top line forwards or no. 1 or 2 d-men seems to

be a shortcoming. kostitsyn and letandresse could be top wingers, but even those

two, who knows. I do think it was a mistake to not draft brule, there was never any

question he has no. 1 center, star player ability that this team will need, I just hope

price is a future no.1 in montreal, or not drafting brule will be a neverending

topic of conversation.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
I do think we have good depth, but top line forwards or no. 1 or 2 d-men seems to

be a shortcoming. kostitsyn and letandresse could be top wingers, but even those

two, who knows. I do think it was a mistake to not draft brule, there was never any

question he has no. 1 center, star player ability that this team will need, I just hope

price is a future no.1 in montreal, or not drafting brule will be a neverending

topic of conversation.
Yes, how about some genuine quality over mere quantity? I'd trade all 20 for 5 budding stars.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Chipchura
Lapierre
White

While some people still harp on the lack of a bluechip elite forward/defenceman prospect, I can't help but think of the character of guys like Lapierre, Plekanec, Murray and Chipchurra. It's this kind of depth that gets you very far in the playoffs for years.

I'd much rather see the Habs win a cup than see one of our forwards win the scoring trophy.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Yes, how about some genuine quality over mere quantity? I'd trade all 20 for 5 budding stars.
No team has 5 budding stars unless they sucked for 10 years. It is also difficult to predict who will be stars.

Old
07-21-2006, 10:05 PM
SOLR

Quote:
And how do you Mr Price aint our next Patrick Roy? Generational goalie was often used to described Price qualities at that draft. I wouldnt go that far, but I think he got possible star qualities/upside at least.

Old
07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
And how do you Mr Price aint our next Patrick Roy? Generational goalie was often used to described Price qualities at that draft. I wouldnt go that far, but I think he got possible star qualities/upside at least.
and Kots our Bondra and Guillame our Bertuzzi and Pleks our Carbonneau and Zhogi our Afiginov etc

Old
07-21-2006, 11:16 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
and Kots our Bondra and Guillame our Bertuzzi and Pleks our Carbonneau and Zhogi our Afiginov etc
This wasnt the meaning I was aiming for. I think we should just stop complaining about Carey Price (instead of Brulé) until we see him play for us. He might be a much more surefire choice than Brulé over time.

Old
07-22-2006, 03:54 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
If you are talking about 5 top notch prospects such as Ovechkin, Crosby, Phaneuf, Malkin, Jonhson, I could understand but if by "stars" you include guys like Kovalchuk, Zherdev, Spezza and some other headcases I strongly desagree.. Its one thing to have top notch skills, another to do the little things needed to win hockey games... I mean, some guys will give you an amazing show, but at the end wont make your team that good... Guys like Higgins, Plekanec, Chipchura dont have world class skills but they compete at a pretty high level in both ends of the ice, their hard working and smart make them highly valuable to the team.. A guy like Lapierre is a pretty high quality grinder for example, you need those type of players in your system. Price and Kostitsyn are to me 2 guys you will considere stars players in the not so far future.. Guys like Latendresse, Perezhogin, Grabovski have high potential as well, pretty solid top 6 material in the making... Emelin and OBYrn look huge as well...

The thing I like about our scouts since 2001 is the fact they are not just drafting players based on pure skills only, they are looking for determination, hard work and hockey sense.. They take some risks at time... Urqhart as an exception of course but I remember they were high on the kid after seeing him having wonderful playoffs with the Rockets... Locke another one but they can afford some gamble at time... (I'm still curious to see what Urquhart will do with the Bulldogs next season, I always said he was a big project that have high chances to bust but could turn in something interesting)

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 07-22-2006 at 03:59 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote