HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Any interest in David Tanabe?

Old
07-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannu View Post
Would any teams be interested? I dont think he will stay in Boston. Any teams need help on D? A 4th rounder seems fair.
I'd be all over that if I was running the Sharks. Tanabe and Setoguchi to hook the large Asian (well mainly Japanese in particular) population in the Bay Area. If only they would have signed Kariya too.

07-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

I don't like Cairns...I don't even see where Cairns has a consistent spot on the roster...
Gonchar-Whitney
Orpik-Eaton
Welch-Melichar

and I'd put in Rob Scuderi before I'd put in Cairns, especially when there might be two enforcers in Andre Roy and Jarkko Ruutu out there...we're already one of the stupidest teams when it comes to untimely penalties, why put 3 bumbling idiots out there when we can keep it to two...

Tanabe I think I could be a step up on Melichar, or fill a spot if no one has an outstanding camp...if Welch, Scuderi, Cairns, Goglioski, Letang and so on are all let downs this year, Tanabe would be good enough for me...and even if he's gone in a year (if he shows no improvement), by then Welch or someone in that list will be ready to go...
even if I just offer the 4th round pick (as initially requested) it's worth it, I think we still have at least 2 4th rounders anyway...worth a try in my book...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:15 PM
spence___

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey287 View Post
Tanabe I think I could be a step up on Melichar, or fill a spot if no one has an outstanding camp...if Welch, Scuderi, Cairns, Goglioski, Letang and so on are all let downs this year, Tanabe would be good enough for me...and even if he's gone in a year (if he shows no improvement), by then Welch or someone in that list will be ready to go...
even if I just offer the 4th round pick (as initially requested) it's worth it, I think we still have at least 2 4th rounders anyway...worth a try in my book...
4th rounders are worth more than you think. You also left out two players that are ready to fill in as 6th defensemen in Bissonette, Lannon and maybe even Fernholm all three of which have some good potential. Besides the Penguins need to move both Melichar and Scuderi, before they think of bringing in any more defensemen.

spence___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

I have an idea about what a 4th rounder is worth, an extra 2nd lands us Ekman and a prospect
a 3rd lands us Pivko and Moore
so an extra 4th (I think we have 3 of them?), could land us Tanabe...and Lannon/Bissonnette could fill that role, but I highly doubt it this year...

Old
07-21-2006, 09:30 PM
spence___

Quote:
I have an idea about what a 4th rounder is worth, an extra 2nd lands us Ekman and a prospect
a 3rd lands us Pivko and Moore
so an extra 4th (I think we have 3 of them?), could land us Tanabe...and Lannon/Bissonnette could fill that role, but I highly doubt it this year...
Yes, the Pen's could use a fourth to get Tanabe if they wanted to, however that'd be an overpayment (especially in a deep draft).

Lannon's NHL ready, he did a great job in Wilkes-Barre he's cheap, smart, works hard, has ok potential and he played with Welch and Moore while in college.

Bissonnette's got a lot going for him as well and he's definately ready for the NHL, however he'll need some camp to earn himself a roster spot.

spence___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Fine, I'll take him for a 6th round pick then...if a 4th is over-payment...I mean I don't want it to sound like I'm in love with the guy, but at the price of a late draft pick, I'm willing to take a chance on a guy like Tanabe...worse case he can be sent to the minors (or lost on waivers) or traded or he's a free agent next summer (I think I read that in this thread?)...

As for Lannon and Bissonnette...I'd bet a fair amount of money that neither of them plays an NHL game this year, and a substantial amont of money that they don't combine to play more than 20 games...but I guess we'll see...
and even if I have Lannon, who needs more pro-conditioning as an above average prospect (especially as a d-man) and can't hardly skate Bissonnette...I still would be okay with Tanabe for a year or less if he's a bust or mold him into what he was supposed to be as a first round pick...
I don't believe Goglioski will be at camp, he's attending Minnesota (Pens board), Bissonnette I can almost guarantee won't see a call up this season, and Lannon will play for Wilkes Barre...
But again, we'll see, it's not like the Pens will acquire Tanabe anyway, if they do, we'll continue the debate...

Old
07-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't even think the Scatch trade was all that horrible. B's desperately needed a dman at the time, and Tanabe was the best they can do. So, they gave up a guy they had signed as an UFA. It was like getting a trade chip for free...

I'd much rather have Scatch (who has always been one of my favorite players in the league). But, that deal met Boston's needs rather nicely.
No, he was supposed to meet their needs. He never did.

Let's not talk about what he could have done, what has he actually done?

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 03:34 AM
lubomirvaic77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannu View Post
Would any teams be interested? I dont think he will stay in Boston. Any teams need help on D? A 4th rounder seems fair.
the nucks might take him, but a 4th is too much. mabye a 6th.

lubomirvaic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 03:46 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
and I'd put in Rob Scuderi before I'd put in Cairns, especially when there might be two enforcers in Andre Roy and Jarkko Ruutu out there...we're already one of the stupidest teams when it comes to untimely penalties, why put 3 bumbling idiots out there when we can keep it to two...
I know this isnt the place for it, but Ruutu isnt an enforcer

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 05:53 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
I'd be all over that if I was running the Sharks. Tanabe and Setoguchi to hook the large Asian (well mainly Japanese in particular) population in the Bay Area. If only they would have signed Kariya too.
Actually, the Japanese population in the Bay area is small compared to Vietnamese, Chinese and Filipino. San Jose is home to one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the US, and San Francisco county has the highest percentage of Chinese in the country.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:18 AM
JMiller

If Tanabe is moved over the next year (which is at this point entirely posters speculation) I think many around here will be shocked at what comes back boston's way.

Honestly, a 6th rounder for a young speedy defenseman who finished with an even +/- on a team with the 5th worst record in the league?

I know people don't like his style and that he hasn't lived up to his hype, but he's hardly a garbage player.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
Actually, the Japanese population in the Bay area is small compared to Vietnamese, Chinese and Filipino. San Jose is home to one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the US, and San Francisco county has the highest percentage of Chinese in the country.
I wasn't trying to say that the Japanese population was the largest in the Bay Area. I was trying to point to them in particular since all the players I mentioned are of Japanese descent. Just didn't come out right.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
For the same reason he's been traded twice over the past two seasons and you are looking to trade him now.

Because he can't take a hit, turns over the puck constantly, provides no offense to speak of, has a bad attitude and a gigantic lower lip.
That just about wrapped it up.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
For the same reason he's been traded twice over the past two seasons and you are looking to trade him now.

Because he can't take a hit, turns over the puck constantly, provides no offense to speak of, has a bad attitude and a gigantic lower lip.
while you are definiley right about the lip, i personally like him and i think he'll get better.

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 09:42 PM
acr*

He's Asian?

I thought he was Italian or something...

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 10:39 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Id take the Cairns deal....We could lineup Cairns and Brookbank as a defensive pair and lose 6-0 every night, but have lots of fights!!!!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Bryanbryoil

Hell, maybe the Oilers could take a shot at him for cheap??? We don't have much to lose in terms of defensemen right now.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
He's Asian?

I'm with you..he doesnt look very asian. David "The Asian Equation" Tanabe.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Lunatik*

the flames will give you a 5th rounder for Tanabe... we need a 7th defenseman and a right handed shot from the point

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 01:06 PM
DirtyCrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I'll drive him to the airport.
WOW, I spit out my coffee reading that,

DirtyCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:34 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
He's Asian?

His father is Japanese-American. His mother is Caucausian.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence___ View Post
Yes, the Pen's could use a fourth to get Tanabe if they wanted to, however that'd be an overpayment (especially in a deep draft).

I think you're totally out to lunch. About 10% of the 4th rounders end up as better players than David Tanabe. I don't care how deep a draft is, the 125-155th player is a total crap shoot.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal from BOS or PITT perspective, but there is NO way that giving up a 4th round DP is an overpayment for any reasonably paid NHL'er.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think you're totally out to lunch. About 10% of the 4th rounders end up as better players than David Tanabe. I don't care how deep a draft is, the 125-155th player is a total crap shoot.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal from BOS or PITT perspective, but there is NO way that giving up a 4th round DP is an overpayment for any reasonably paid NHL'er.
True, but there's also the chance you land a Hejduk, Daze, Lehtinen, Svehla Horcoff, Handzus, McCauley, Kapanen, etc... If you have no use for a player, you're better off with a draft pick (even a late one) as the more you dig the better chance you'll strike gold.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
KL*

Quote:

no thanks

KL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique69 View Post
Tell me again what was bad about the Thornton trade?

We got Sturm, Stuart and Primeau...and it gave us lots of cap space to sign Chara
Replacing Thornton with Sturm, Stuart and Primeau gave the Bruins maybe an extra $1 million in cap space.

Chara makes over 7 times that much money.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote