Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPNBoston.com : Chiarelli looking to improve

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 09:02 PM
finchster

vCash: 500
I think Chia will get nothing of substance done, like last year.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:24 PM
GoBs

Trade Kelly, and bring in a guy that gives a ****. He's the problem with the third line not Bourque. That and the inconsistent play you get from Peverly.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Fire Julien

Boychuk needs to go ASAP.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
thepootamis

after tonights game you can see their 2 glaring holes. Someone with offensive firepower needs to be brought in for the 3rd line. Paille will not do. 2nd another offensive defensmen that will jump up into the play would be nice to see. It would take pressure off of Hamilton

Old
03-03-2013, 10:07 PM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
after tonights game you can see their 2 glaring holes. Someone with offensive firepower needs to be brought in for the 3rd line. Paille will not do. 2nd another offensive defensmen that will jump up into the play would be nice to see. It would take pressure off of Hamilton
Yup. Don't forget to mention slotting in that PMD for aging and looking worse by the game Ference.

Where's the Ference Fan Club after tonight's game.

He looks awful out there.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
3rd line.... still sucks.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
3rd line.... still sucks.
best post of the day

Old
03-04-2013, 05:26 AM
bigcat188

Ference, I would not even let him back in the building, stack his gear up in the parking lot and tell him don't come back.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat188 View Post
Like them two guys are doing something this season?
Looked good last night. Kelly hit two posts. Eventually those will start to go in. Good two way play, great speed, decent shot hard working as hell. Give it time.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Trade Kelly, and bring in a guy that gives a ****. He's the problem with the third line not Bourque. That and the inconsistent play you get from Peverly.
How is he not giving a ****? I understand paying that much money for our third line and getting no results is an issue but c'mon, the kid works hard. Attacking his play is one thing, attacking his character is another. Slumps happen but just because Bourque and our third line didn't mesh well is no reason to knock on a guy who's clearly putting in the effort while his game is struggling. At least he's doing that much.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You can cross Moulson off your list. He's making a dirt cheap $3m+ and has scored 107 goals in his last 267 games. Isles don't dump players who produce, while playing on cheap contracts.
Yup. That and he and Tavares have crazy good chemistry. Must be something they are putting in the water up in Mississauga

Old
03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Looked good last night. Kelly hit two posts. Eventually those will start to go in. Good two way play, great speed, decent shot hard working as hell. Give it time.
I like Kelly as a LW. His lack of offensive skills holds Peverly back IMO. No puck possession at all. Dump and chase. Which is fine for a LW. But, I'd like my center to be able to handle the puck better and make some passes back and forth between him and Peverly. I think a LH shot center will help that line more than anything.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:40 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
I like Kelly as a LW. His lack of offensive skills holds Peverly back IMO. No puck possession at all. Dump and chase. Which is fine for a LW. But, I'd like my center to be able to handle the puck better and make some passes back and forth between him and Peverly. I think a LH shot center will help that line more than anything.
Agreed. I think Kelly makes more sense on the wing as pushing DMen up the boards keeps teams honest and allows for better neutral zone play. Though I want to see Caron, I'm not going to risk it for a lack of production from our third line. Now if we could only find that one player to fit...

Old
03-04-2013, 05:58 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
How is he not giving a ****? I understand paying that much money for our third line and getting no results is an issue but c'mon, the kid works hard. Attacking his play is one thing, attacking his character is another. Slumps happen but just because Bourque and our third line didn't mesh well is no reason to knock on a guy who's clearly putting in the effort while his game is struggling. At least he's doing that much.
He's been playing lazy. -2 again tonight with no Bourque to blame. As long as you have Kelly playing at his current rate you could throw anyone on the line and get the same ****** results. He's been awful on the PK as of late too.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
He's been playing lazy. -2 again tonight with no Bourque to blame. As long as you have Kelly playing at his current rate you could throw anyone on the line and get the same ****** results. He's been awful on the PK as of late too.
I disagree, respectfully. I wouldn't blame anything on Bourque regardless in this situation but he hit two posts and threw a couple good hits. He's been struggling a bit finishing but that's it. I don't think he's been that horrendous. I think if he were, Julien would take action.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Seriously? Criticize his lack of offensive production but don't ever question his character especially if you have 0 proof. If he didn't care like you claim, he wouldn't be one of our Alternate Captains. He is a team first guy and always has been.

You can hate on him but making baseless claims that he doesn't give a **** will not fly and you will be called on it every time.

I am Boston Strong

Old
03-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
remember a few things- just because your neighbor or coworker does something doesnt mean you do.

what we have is a Chiarelli body of work to study

he feels zero pressure to over pay

the Bruins are as popular as anytime since the Orr Bruins

he always has an eye on the bottom line and how moves fit- he may not be smarter than some here but the guy has a degree in economics from Havard, a law degree from a top Canadien University, and experience as both as part of an agent group and obviously a manager like now

He looks at moves from every angle, we (including moi) look at moves as if trading hockey cards

I agree this Bruins team needs a move to shore up the top 9 with a guy who can maybe play higher if need be

Iginla is sexy not in the sense as Miss Delaware, err the former Miss Delaware- but to hockey fans...but I dont see him as just a casual interest for Chiarelli- just to expensive and clearly they would have to overpay, find it very unlikely- plus read they are not very interested

Chiarelli to me will focus on the guys like you see on the Panthers- very good third liners who can help with depth; because of the cap I question if he even takes on a long term guy like Glencross who would send me into happy land but I dont see it because that pretty much means Horton is gone no matter what, or he has to deep six a guy like Kellly.

Again, Chiarelli is a loyal sob and these players arent trading cards....

what Chiarelli would like is Caron to freaking step up ASAP- if he's playing these 3 games starting in 2 hours he needs to play like his career depends on it.

I'm not sure who the guy is but it would be so much better if Caron can get it together and play like he did in that Toronto game last year where he looked like a young Kevin Stevens and grabbed first star on the road with a couple of nice goals

Caron is a big body with a defensive game and decent board work atleast thats what I thought- they could really use his size on the third line cycling wearing down the D. WTF is going on with him. He needs to realize he is blowing it. The size, the shot, the spot available...its not like he should be intimidated- hes done some good things, hes been to Prague, hes been on the Cup squad even if just practicing....this is mindblowing what has happened to him.
I disagree. We don't need any third line scrub. If that's all we needed, Chia will have no problem finding one and he already be on this team already. Heck we can plug in Caron, Sauve etc and i b perfectly ok with that instead of paying for some third line scrub. I even take pevs or kelly on the third line if that's all chia is gone to acquire. At least both Kelly and Pevs know our system.

What we need is a top 6 forward with a scoring punch someone like Ignila, perry etc.Someone that if Seguin or Marchand Goes down for a significant amount of time, we are not screwed and we dont start too scrabble looking for their replacements.

Imagine how sick this team would hve been with Rick Nash on it. Chia missed the ball on that. That's the type of player Chiarelli should be looking for.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
They have a little over $11 million in cap space with Savvy on LTIR.

Ference is not coming back unless it's at $2 million.

Rask will get $5-$5.5 million.

Our backup will be Svenberg or someone else in the 850K range.

Gives us $6.5 committed to our goaltenders. Leaving us roughly $5 million too spend on a #5/6 defenseman and a forward.

Nathan Horton is not returning unless he takes what we can give him. I don't think he is coming back if I am honest.

The solution is not trading David Krejci, our #1 center, a proven playoff player and our BEST FORWARD (right now). Anyone still advocating trading the guy has not watched this year and does not pay attention.

Our line up, heading into the offseason with Krejci traded.

Lucic - Seguin - ??????????
Marchand - Bergeron - ??????????
Peverley - Kelly - ??????????
Merlot

Our line up with Krejci on the roster

Lucic - Krejci - ?????????
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Peverley - Kelly - ???????
Merlot

I like the roster with him.

Solution. Buy out/flip Chris Kelly, clearing $3 million off the cap, giving us $14 million too play with.

Rask - 5.5
Horton - 5.5
Back up goalie - 850K
Spooner - 870K
#4/5 D - 1.5-2

Even those numbers do not add up entirely. We need Horton and Rask to come in at/below 5 million. Horton is not a make or break for me. If he wants big money let him go somewhere else, use some of his cash on a defenseman and try to find a player to fit into the top 6 at $4 million.

The solution to our cap issues are not trading David Krejci. He is not the problem. The solution to our cap issues is NOT having a $4 million fourth line and a guy (Chris Kelly) making $3 million a year and playing like he currently is.

We knew the day was coming when some pieces would have too exit. No one can keep an entire team together in a capped system. Ryan Spooner is making this team next year (IMO) at center, on the third line. That makes Peverley or Kelly expendable. Peverley is the better player, is more versatile and younger. He plays the wing with Spooner and whoever we get to play the left side.

Tough decisions are coming. Keeping Krejci is not one of them. The cap savings have to come from further down the lineup.

The core of this team, as it is currently constructed (IMO) is, Krejci, Lucic, Bergy, Marchand, Seguin, Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton and Rask. Everyone else on the roster is an interchangeable part. After these upcoming playoffs this team will have been together for 3 years essentially.

A Cup in 2011, first round exit in 2012 and a Cup or ECF in 2013 means Chiarelli does whatever he can too keep the roster intact.

A Cup in 2011, a first round exit in 2012 and a 1st or 2nd round exit in 2013 means it will have been 2 seasons since this roster did anything in the playoffs and Chiarelli will have to blow it up a little bit.

I think he can change the roster around, and the mix, without blowing out the top 6.
Krejci is not untouchable as some people think here. Did anyone watch last years playoffs where he was Invisible. He performed a disappearing act. For the right price, he is gone in my opinion. I like Horton, but if he is asking for too much, he can walk. No one on this team should be deemed untouchable or irreplaceable

Old
03-04-2013, 06:47 AM
remer

I would have to agree that Kelly and Peverely have been huge disappointments this year. Peverely either needs to turn it around or he might be gone. Chris Kelly is not the best third line center. Zero creative offensive instincts. Maybe he should be playing wing.
Maybe Spooner should be brought up and see what he can do. He is a gifted center and maybe he can help that third line produce some offense.
Pandolfo can go back to the AHL.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Gee, last year that line worked fine. I wonder what we're missing from that line this year that we had last year that made it so successful.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:01 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
I disagree. We don't need any third line scrub. If that's all we needed, Chia will have no problem finding one and he already be on this team already. Heck we can plug in Caron, Sauve etc and i b perfectly ok with that instead of paying for some third line scrub. I even take pevs or kelly on the third line if that's all chia is gone to acquire. At least both Kelly and Pevs know our system.

What we need is a top 6 forward with a scoring punch someone like Ignila, perry etc.Someone that if Seguin or Marchand Goes down for a significant amount of time, we are not screwed and we dont start too scrabble looking for their replacements.

Imagine how sick this team would hve been with Rick Nash on it. Chia missed the ball on that. That's the type of player Chiarelli should be looking for.
Sure get Nash maybe he'll play for free. Did u buy milk and batteries last night. Here is some advice look at big picture not game to gamr

Old
03-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Afam*

What is the difference between a top 6 forward and a top 9 forward.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Sure get Nash maybe he'll play for free. Did u buy milk and batteries last night. Here is some advice look at big picture not game to gamr
What. Lmao. I never said we should have gotten ignila for free. Where in my post did i say such thing. I never uttered such words. I would have been perfectly okay with Krejci, spooner and a first for Nash. Please don't accuse of me something that i did not say. Krejci is the most overrated player i have ever seen. It has nothing to do with watching him on a game to game basis. I watch every Bruins game.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
mich25

I'm torn on what we need. One minute I think a 3rd liner winger will suffice and the next I'm thinking we should go big and grab someone who would put us over the top. Like trying to pick up Corey Perry, but I don't think we could afford the likes of Perry, unless we unload Horton and someone else (Kelly/Boychuk or Peverley) and then there is a risk with being able to resign a top 6 winger too if they are an UFA or taking on a lot of salary. I think I read somewhere Perry will most likely be getting/looking north of the 8mil range! I wouldn't mind picking up someone in between a 3rd liner and a top winger who can step up if someone goes down in our top 6 - if that happens we could be screwed. I still think for that type of player we would have to give up a roster player though? I've read also that people think Kelly would be better suited on the wing, so maybe we look at a really good 2nd/3rd line center too. Brier the more I think about seems like would be a good pick up and can play center/wing too..Wouldn't mind Weiss from FLA either.

After watching last nights game I wouldn't even mind some defensive help/changes. Ference and Boychuck are just not cutting it IMO. We have 8,082,082.00 mil in cap space this year and if we put Savard on LTIR then it bumps up to 14,582,082.00 since Savard's salary this year is 6.5 mil. Next year Savard drops down to 5 mil, and then 1.5 mil, so it's about time IMO we use this money!

50% of the games we have won have been by 1 goal, we should be better.

Closed Thread