HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Dumbest Move Ever by a GM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  #76
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Langway and Engblom were traded after the infamous goal by Dale Hunter (Nordiques). Both were on the ice for that ugly goal.
That's called an overreaction to one bad play. You know, like trading Ribeiro because of some summer golf rumour/incident.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:37 PM
  #77
RussCourtnall6
Rookie User
 
RussCourtnall6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
There are two parts to this move that puzzle me.

Why would Fester want to give away a potential #1 overall pick for a quality yet relativity unproven forward?

Why didn't someone in the Flames front office do a little research before making this offer?

I don't have an answer for either one.

If Colorado had passed, this would have gone down as one of the worst GM blunders in sports history.

RussCourtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:06 PM
  #78
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
The offer sheet was pretty awful, I don't think that can be topped lol.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
  #79
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
1st, 3rd, 2.5 million for no return plus the Jackets get ROR is pretty freaking bad.

Plus, the Flames are fighting for a playoff spot, and despite getting lucky... they've now incented a rival to bring back a key player who's been sitting out. So best case scenario, they've screwed themselves by having a rival get stronger as they're fighting for the playoffs...

Now that's dumb.
Colorado getting stronger means the Flames will draft Barkov rather than Monahan.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
  #80
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

In all seriousness, I can't think of anything worse. Can you?


i would rather lose a 1st and a 3rd for nothing, than give away Higgins and McDonagh for Gomez.


Last edited by palindrom: 03-02-2013 at 10:17 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:20 PM
  #81
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
i would rather lose a 1st and a 3rd for nothing, than give away Higgins and McDonagh for Gomez.
When I first heard of the Gomez trade, I was sure that we would be getting him for nothing, and that NYR would be sending us some picks or prospects to accommodate the contract dump. The NYR were desperate to get out from under that contract. When I heard that they got one of our blue-chip D prospects, and Higgins, I was utterly flabbergasted.

Gainey did manage to get other players to sign with us due to the move, as I think that many people though that Gomez was just having a rough time in NY, but I'm pretty sure we could have thrown around enough coin to attract some players, regardless.

This is a very bad trade, but the Luongo trade is almost comical in retrospect.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:28 PM
  #82
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
BTW, the Lindros trade has to be up there: Forsberg, Recci, Duchesne, Hextall, Simon + a first!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
  #83
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
BTW, the Lindros trade has to be up there: Forsberg, Recci, Duchesne, Hextall, Simon + a first!
I don't think that's fair. Lindros got that team to the finals and if he doesn't get hurt might very well have won that team a cup. It's far from the worst trade ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
When I first heard of the Gomez trade, I was sure that we would be getting him for nothing, and that NYR would be sending us some picks or prospects to accommodate the contract dump. The NYR were desperate to get out from under that contract. When I heard that they got one of our blue-chip D prospects, and Higgins, I was utterly flabbergasted.

Gainey did manage to get other players to sign with us due to the move, as I think that many people though that Gomez was just having a rough time in NY, but I'm pretty sure we could have thrown around enough coin to attract some players, regardless.

This is a very bad trade, but the Luongo trade is almost comical in retrospect.
Yup, I thought we were getting him for free too. Then I heard it was Higgins and I wasn't happy. And then...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
  #84
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCourtnall6 View Post
There are two parts to this move that puzzle me.

Why would Fester want to give away a potential #1 overall pick for a quality yet relativity unproven forward?

Why didn't someone in the Flames front office do a little research before making this offer?

I don't have an answer for either one.

If Colorado had passed, this would have gone down as one of the worst GM blunders in sports history.
I don't know the answer to your questions, besides bad management. But I would test that theory right now if I was Bergevin. See what it would take to get their 1st. They were willing to let it go for a center with 55 points last year. Would a center with 60 points interest them. Sorry DD, but we're looking to build something for the future here. The move would probably hurt us this year, but in the future. We might even be able to move up again in the draft by packaging this pick and ours.

We could slide Eller to the 2nd line and let Galchenyuk center the third line.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
  #85
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Langway and Engblom were traded after the infamous goal by Dale Hunter (Nordiques). Both were on the ice for that ugly goal.
Langway wanted out of Montreal and let it be known to the team. The trade started from there.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
  #86
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
We lost Francois Beauchemin on waviers when Gainey sent sent him down to the AHL thinking he didn't have to go threw the wavier wire. I know not as bad but still sad for a GM and the rest of the staff not to know the rules.
I came here to post the same thing. Losing Beauchemin for nothing deserves a mention in the dumbest moves by a GM category. Imagine a Markov – Beauchemin pairing!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:25 AM
  #87
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I came here to post the same thing. Losing Beauchemin for nothing deserves a mention in the dumbest moves by a GM category. Imagine a Markov – Beauchemin pairing!
Columbus traded Beauchemin for whom ?...

And when Beauchemin became free agent, Gainey never talked to his agent and he signed with TO.

That's many mistakes about the same player.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
  #88
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
I would say Tommy Ivan made the worst trade ever. It's not like Luongo became a superstar who has won tons of playoff games...good goalie, but that trade doesn't come close to what Chicago did in trading Fred Stanfield, Ken Hodge and Phil Esposito for Pit Martin, Gilles Marotte and Jack Norris back in 1967.

A 70-goal scorer hall of famer that won scoring titles and MVPs, a tough first-line 50-goal scorer, and a solid second-line center, for a 20-goal scorer, 4th defenceman and a minor leaguer. They were integral parts of Boston's first Cup wins in decades.

Imagine Chicago with Bobby Hull, Dennis Hull, Mikita, Espo, Hodge, Stanfield, Pappin, Nesterenko, and Maki from 1968-73.....

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
  #89
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I would say Tommy Ivan made the worst trade ever. It's not like Luongo became a superstar who has won tons of playoff games...good goalie, but that trade doesn't come close to what Chicago did in trading Fred Stanfield, Ken Hodge and Phil Esposito for Pit Martin, Gilles Marotte and Jack Norris back in 1967.

A 70-goal scorer hall of famer that won scoring titles and MVPs, a tough first-line 50-goal scorer, and a solid second-line center, for a 20-goal scorer, 4th defenceman and a minor leaguer. They were integral parts of Boston's first Cup wins in decades.

Imagine Chicago with Bobby Hull, Dennis Hull, Mikita, Espo, Hodge, Stanfield, Pappin, Nesterenko, and Maki from 1968-73.....
That was terrible trade....but Pit Martin was decent playoff performer for the Hawks. I can remember disliking the guy in several playoff series we had with the Hawks back in late '60s-early 70s.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  #90
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
When I first heard of the Gomez trade, I was sure that we would be getting him for nothing, and that NYR would be sending us some picks or prospects to accommodate the contract dump. The NYR were desperate to get out from under that contract. When I heard that they got one of our blue-chip D prospects, and Higgins, I was utterly flabbergasted.

Gainey did manage to get other players to sign with us due to the move, as I think that many people though that Gomez was just having a rough time in NY, but I'm pretty sure we could have thrown around enough coin to attract some players, regardless.

This is a very bad trade, but the Luongo trade is almost comical in retrospect.
That's BS, they signed because of the $$$$ Gionta at 5Million, Lamoriello told Gionta take that money, we could never give you that much. And Cammarelli for 6Million a year, well that speaks for itself

To Boot, NYR took the money they saved with Gomez to sign Gaborik so in the end they end up with

Gaborik and Mcdonaugh

we got

Gomez and Pyatt

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  #91
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,107
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
We lost Francois Beauchemin on waviers when Gainey sent sent him down to the AHL thinking he didn't have to go threw the wavier wire. I know not as bad but still sad for a GM and the rest of the staff not to know the rules.
Not true. At the time of the lockout (like this year) teams wanted their young players to go to the AHL, play together, develop there, etc. However, the waiver wire was still in place. The GMs apparently had a "handshake" rule in place where you wouldn't claim other teams' young players off of waivers, since everybody had waiver-eligible guys they wanted to send down. Columbus broke the deal by claiming Beauchemin when the Habs tried to send him to the minors, and the next day the league modified the rules so that players wouldn't have to clear waivers to go to the minors.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:50 AM
  #92
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Flames trade Brett Hull to St-Louis for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley. Yikes!!!!!

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:33 PM
  #93
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
That's called an overreaction to one bad play. You know, like trading Ribeiro because of some summer golf rumour/incident.
The Langway-Engblom trade wasn't as bad as it seems. It has to be put into context.

Langway didn't want to play in Canada and asked for a trade.

Habs receives a still young Ryan Walter, who was at the time everything you could dream in a hockey player : 40 goals scorer + 120 pim with a nasty streak. Can fight if needed. A fierce competitor who can score, like what is Clarckson right now. The goal was to make him play left wing with Lafleur on Right wing, which could have help Lafleur stay on top few more years and not retire prematurely.

Habs' management couldn't know that Walter would then discover "Jesus" to become a pacifist smooth Religious freak. No joke.

Moreover, Habs received Rick Green who despite his numerous injuries, was a way better stay-at-home d-man than Engblom.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
  #94
MattScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattScott
A few more Milbury notes...

New York Islanders traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe (later turned into a Sedin) and 3rd round selection (Jarkko Ruutu) in 1998 to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden (later traded for Branislav Mezei).

Also, he vetoed his scouting staff's year long body of work just before the draft in the 2000 draft to take Rick Dipietro over the man who was their choice, Marian Gaborik. Apparently trusting the advice of Harry Sinden over the opinion of the professionals he had hired for the job.

MattScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:31 PM
  #95
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Flames trade Brett Hull to St-Louis for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley. Yikes!!!!!
Ramage was a key player in that cup drive. They won a cup. You can't regret that one.

It's like trading Iggy for Niewendyke... you do it for a cup.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
  #96
Alain Racette
Registered User
 
Alain Racette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Flames trade Brett Hull to St-Louis for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley. Yikes!!!!!
You trade to win a championship!

Can you guess what the Flames did in 1989 AFTER that trade?

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.