HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Kevyn Adams!

Old
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
Really happy with the way these guys are playing now. I called Gerbe an AHL player the other day and he's been an absolute stud since, reverting to his form from the second half of the 2010-11 season. Keep it up.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It was Bad PP but no need to give up puck. With goalie pulled, we had a five on three. No?
Yah, you're right!

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
It was Bad PP but no need to give up puck. With goalie pulled, we had a five on three. No?
Yep.

The idea behind giving it away is to get the extra guy off the ice for the opponent. A 5v3 is better than a 6v4. But they already only had 3 guys, so there was no extra guy to get off the ice. By keeping it, they actually ensured more of the OT would be a PP, plus there was no risk of a shorty while the play was going since play ends when the Rangers touch the puck.

It's one of the few instances where it DOES actually make sense not to give the puck away on the PP with a delayed penalty.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Ugly: A 4 on 3 is better than a 5 on 3.

- Rob Ray

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Yep.

The idea behind giving it away is to get the extra guy off the ice for the opponent. A 5v3 is better than a 6v4. But they already only had 3 guys, so there was no extra guy to get off the ice. By keeping it, they actually ensured more of the OT would be a PP, plus there was no risk of a shorty while the play was going since play ends when the Rangers touch the puck.

It's one of the few instances where it DOES actually make sense not to give the puck away on the PP with a delayed penalty.
I agree with you. See my post above.

Old
blackOnion
Why eat eggplant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Wow, surprisingly Milbury was questioning how forceable the Kaleta hit was...
That was a jaw dropper for me. I stayed around watching just to see him say something stupid. I was let down by Milbury, like so many others over time.

blackOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

- Rob Ray
He's not completely off base. I'm not sure what the numbers are so far this year but I know in years past 4 on 3 has had similar or better percentages than 5 on 3s.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
blackOnion
Why eat eggplant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshahbaz View Post
I just realized that the Bruins only have two losses in regular time and the Sabres are responsible for both of them
Actually, it's 3 now. Montreal got them tonight, using their backup goalie. Chara spent 17 minutes in the box, which was fun to watch during the commercial breaks in the Sabres game.

blackOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I don't want to derail this GBU and turn this into a thread solely on the Kaleta hit because it takes away from this game. This was our best game in the last four in my opinion even though it's our only loss. But there aren't worse hits than that every game. He hit him clear as day in the numbers and Richards was set that way while Ennis turned at the last second and was much closer to the boards. The Girardi hit was bad but that doesn't take away that the Kaleta hit was pretty disgusting. That is something that needs to leave the game and he deserves a suspension (I'd say 3 games but I bet he gets 5 considering he got 4 for the Voracek headbutt). There has to be an onus on the player hitting him when he's angled that way for multiple seconds before hand. Honestly, he could have been paralyzed from that going head first or at the least destroyed his shoulder or collarbone. I couldn't believe he returned to the game.
I agree that there is not a worse hit in every game.

However, the "hit" was not even a hit. Watch it again. Kaleta was skating towards Richards and he actually started to glide before simply cross-checking him with nothing but his arms and some slow momentum.

Richards actually fell relatively SLOWLY towards the boards in a very strange, awkward manner.

That was actually a strange play. Richards reacted strangely to the push, he fell awkwardly and did a horrible job of breaking his fall, he was a far distance to the boards which added to the awkwardness, and then of course it all seems worse when he throws his gloves off and pretends to be shot by a rifle, only to miss maybe 1 shift and get back on the PP.

I think the play on its own merits when viewed in totality is borderline non-suspension material. Given who did the hitting and who got hit, Kaleta will get 4 or 5....

Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:

- Rob Ray
Other Rayisms...

Steve Nash.
No, you're 100% correct.
"...gets the pass acrost"
Got a 2 on 1 play confused with a 1 on 1 play
"... He cleared the puck over the blass"
Ron Wilson

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If Richards is against the glass, it's basically a pin out against the boards. But he was in that 4-5' area and fell so awkwardly. The penalty severity is probably due both to it being Kaleta and Richards being down, but it was still a dangerous play. That said, why Richards is bent over and so easily off balance that close to the boards after playing this game for nearly 30 years is also something to wonder at. Protect yourself guys, do what they teach 4-year olds.
Its incredible the stupidity he displayed on that play.

Its basic hockey to protect yourself at all times and that includes how you approach the boards whether or not someone is coming to hit you. NEVER head towards the boards with your toes pointing towards them. Angle yourself towards the boards. We teach our girls to do that and they don't even hit but they do push and shove and have collisions. So they need to learn how to protect themselves. We had one of our girls last season almost cripple herself skating full speed straight at the boards to get the puck. She hit a rut about 5ft out and went flying face first into the boards. She was bent backwards in such an awkward fashion I thought she was severely injured. Thankfully the flexibility + resiliency of youth protected her. But afterwards when we asked her what happened (we knew but wanted to hear it from her) she said she messed up and didn't angle into the boards like we taught her.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-03-2013 at 10:23 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its incredible the stupidity he displayed on that play.
THIS. There are a lot of subtle things to analyze with that push, er, I mean "hit" all of which serve to diminish Kaleta's culpability.

Let's see what Shanahan does with his cute little instructional videos with this one.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:22 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
I agree that there is not a worse hit in every game.

However, the "hit" was not even a hit. Watch it again. Kaleta was skating towards Richards and he actually started to glide before simply cross-checking him with nothing but his arms and some slow momentum.

Richards actually fell relatively SLOWLY towards the boards in a very strange, awkward manner.

That was actually a strange play. Richards reacted strangely to the push, he fell awkwardly and did a horrible job of breaking his fall, he was a far distance to the boards which added to the awkwardness, and then of course it all seems worse when he throws his gloves off and pretends to be shot by a rifle, only to miss maybe 1 shift and get back on the PP.

I think the play on its own merits when viewed in totality is borderline non-suspension material. Given who did the hitting and who got hit, Kaleta will get 4 or 5....
To be fair, he probably got a stinger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinger_(medicine)
And those things hurt like a mofo and can scare the **** out of you since part of your body's suddenly numb
like others have said, Richards' approach straight into the boards was really dumb, but Kaleta hitting him was also a stupid play to begin with

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:23 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bottle Service View Post
Other Rayisms...

Steve Nash.
No, you're 100% correct.
"...gets the pass acrost"
Got a 2 on 1 play confused with a 1 on 1 play
"... He cleared the puck over the blass"
Ron Wilson
Ray didn't say Steve Nash. That was RJ.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

If this isn't a suspension....noway Kaletas should be.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM

G: they played hard
B: Unfortinate play by Kaleta
U: HFBOARDS is virtually unreadable again...

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
Ray said it too

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:34 PM
smitter88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

All day. And this is way off topic, but Kaleta getting suspended for this, and Lucic getting off last year with nothing would (will) be a complete disgrace.

smitter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

LOL massive homerism. "That's a good clean hit by Weaver."
I don't like how the RESULT of an action, more often than the action itself, creates the basis for a suspension. I'm not saying richards faked his fall or whatever pain he was in...but if he doesn't get hurt, kaleta just gets a 2 minute penalty same as girardi, at most a 5 minute major.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:

- Rob Ray
... and that was right after he had said that the Sabres should have turned the puck over to go from a 4 on 3 to a 5 on 3.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
They both did. RJ in the shootout, Ray earlier in either the 3rd or OT, can't remember exactly.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Speaking of Ott, he's showing way more leadership on ice since Ruff left...it seems that way to me
He's also getting more ice time under Rolston, averaging around 20mins a night.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
joshjull

I gotta point out the hypocrisy of Sabres fans. Ennis gets hammered from behind and Ott was right there and did nothing about it. I had no problem with that due to the situation in the game.

But if that was Foligno, Stafford or any number of the current whipping boys they would have been shredded for "not responding".

We truly are a bitter lot

Old
03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
I gotta point out the hypocrisy of Sabres fans. Ennis gets hammered from behind and Ott was right there and did nothing about it. I had no problem with that due to the situation in the game.

But if that was Foligno, Stafford or any number of the current whipping boys they would have been shredded for "not responding".
That's a very all encompassing statement. "Sabres fans"

Meaning any and all?

Some fans, sure.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Royisgone

Quote:

We truly are a bitter lot
Really?

On a PP?

In OT?