HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most loathed former Ranger?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
  #126
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
You can argue whether his blue-collar approach was the right way to go
That is exactly my point - the GM assembled a talent-laden team and he insisted on playing blue-collar. As the coach, you may disagree with the direction that the GM is going, but at the end of the day you have to put the system in place to make the most of the pieces you have. To insist on playing a system that doesn't fit the players if downright obstinant and - bad coaching.

To this day, I am convinced that Alexei Kovalev would have been a true star if Campbell hadn't gotten his mitts on him early in his career.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:01 PM
  #127
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
That is exactly my point - the GM assembled a talent-laden team and he insisted on playing blue-collar. As the coach, you may disagree with the direction that the GM is going, but at the end of the day you have to put the system in place to make the most of the pieces you have. To insist on playing a system that doesn't fit the players if downright obstinant and - bad coaching.

To this day, I am convinced that Alexei Kovalev would have been a true star if Campbell hadn't gotten his mitts on him early in his career.
Personally, I think that the person who most stood in the way of Alex Kovalev being a true star is Alex Kovalev, though I'll grant you Campbell didn't have any patience with him.

Kovy aside, though, you can't argue with the fact that even given year after year of talent-laden squads, no other coach, even John Muckler had as much success as Soupy.

Even if you're not a Campbell fan, if you have to make a choice for worst Rangers coach since Keenan, I think it's difficult to choose Soupy before Trottier or Ron Low.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
  #128
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.
 
WhiskeyDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Easy choice. Trottier.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:14 PM
  #129
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Personally, I think that the person who most stood in the way of Alex Kovalev being a true star is Alex Kovalev, though I'll grant you Campbell didn't have any patience with him.

Kovy aside, though, you can't argue with the fact that even given year after year of talent-laden squads, no other coach, even John Muckler had as much success as Soupy.

Even if you're not a Campbell fan, if you have to make a choice for worst Rangers coach since Keenan, I think it's difficult to choose Soupy before Trottier or Ron Low.
Hold on there - I never said he was as bad as Trottier. He was bad, but Trottier (and Low) were worse. They were ALL bad to varying degrees. We've had a remarkable run of bad coaching in addition to poorly constructed teams...

Until now!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 06:58 PM
  #130
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
Hold on there - I never said he was as bad as Trottier. He was bad, but Trottier (and Low) were worse. They were ALL bad to varying degrees. We've had a remarkable run of bad coaching in addition to poorly constructed teams...
Yeah, you didn't, I didn't mean to imply you did. Someone else did.

Quote:
Until now!
I'll drink to that!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:20 PM
  #131
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,735
vCash: 500
ANyone say Sandy McCarthy or Anson Carter yet.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.