HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most loathed former Ranger?

Old
07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
You can argue whether his blue-collar approach was the right way to go
That is exactly my point - the GM assembled a talent-laden team and he insisted on playing blue-collar. As the coach, you may disagree with the direction that the GM is going, but at the end of the day you have to put the system in place to make the most of the pieces you have. To insist on playing a system that doesn't fit the players if downright obstinant and - bad coaching.

To this day, I am convinced that Alexei Kovalev would have been a true star if Campbell hadn't gotten his mitts on him early in his career.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
That is exactly my point - the GM assembled a talent-laden team and he insisted on playing blue-collar. As the coach, you may disagree with the direction that the GM is going, but at the end of the day you have to put the system in place to make the most of the pieces you have. To insist on playing a system that doesn't fit the players if downright obstinant and - bad coaching.

To this day, I am convinced that Alexei Kovalev would have been a true star if Campbell hadn't gotten his mitts on him early in his career.
Personally, I think that the person who most stood in the way of Alex Kovalev being a true star is Alex Kovalev, though I'll grant you Campbell didn't have any patience with him.

Kovy aside, though, you can't argue with the fact that even given year after year of talent-laden squads, no other coach, even John Muckler had as much success as Soupy.

Even if you're not a Campbell fan, if you have to make a choice for worst Rangers coach since Keenan, I think it's difficult to choose Soupy before Trottier or Ron Low.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Easy choice. Trottier.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Personally, I think that the person who most stood in the way of Alex Kovalev being a true star is Alex Kovalev, though I'll grant you Campbell didn't have any patience with him.

Kovy aside, though, you can't argue with the fact that even given year after year of talent-laden squads, no other coach, even John Muckler had as much success as Soupy.

Even if you're not a Campbell fan, if you have to make a choice for worst Rangers coach since Keenan, I think it's difficult to choose Soupy before Trottier or Ron Low.
Hold on there - I never said he was as bad as Trottier. He was bad, but Trottier (and Low) were worse. They were ALL bad to varying degrees. We've had a remarkable run of bad coaching in addition to poorly constructed teams...

Until now!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
Hold on there - I never said he was as bad as Trottier. He was bad, but Trottier (and Low) were worse. They were ALL bad to varying degrees. We've had a remarkable run of bad coaching in addition to poorly constructed teams...
Yeah, you didn't, I didn't mean to imply you did. Someone else did.

Quote:
Until now!
I'll drink to that!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:20 PM
In The Flesh

ANyone say Sandy McCarthy or Anson Carter yet.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote