HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Letestu

Old
03-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Nikita Filatov

vCash: 500
Mark Letestu

12 points in 20 games so far this season, and looks a lot better than from his Penguins days.
I think most Blue Jacket fans would like to see Mark stick around but being a UFA this summer there's always a chance he leaves.

If he was available his 625K cap value would be amazing for a team near the cap looking to add some secondary scoring, this deadline would be a pretty great chance to buy low and sell very high on this guy. He has been pretty consistent since getting ice time and he's contributed in a pretty good way for two seasons now.

What would you offer for Mark Letestu if the Blue Jackets decide that they want to move a different route and trade Letestu?

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Ludicrous Speed

He's a Rich Peverley type player – good defensively, versatile, and able to provide secondary scoring when you need it. I really don't want to let him go yet, he's one of our only forwards who consistently knows what to do with the puck. It sucks because he'd be a great guy to have with the right amount of depth, but he's getting lots of ice time because our forward corps is so pedestrian.

I could see us letting him go though, which irks me.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
wej20

maybe a 2nd if your lucky.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Siludin

At the deadline, probably a 2nd, or a decent prospect.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
wej20

He's definitely a cheap option for a contender as a 3rd line centre; can chip in some points, win faceoffs, solid in his own end but he's not a matchup centre who you put against the other teams top line. Added bonus is he could make a serviceable living as a Elijah Wood look-a-like.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I loved him in Lord of the Rings.

But yeah his value to the team far outweighs what he would fetch on the open market in my opinion. He can play on the PK, PP, and add secondary scoring at ES. But his success hasn't been long lived and so we don't know if it's a fluke or not.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
I don't think he gets a 2nd.

I don't think he's proven enough for that. I think if he can keep this pace up (0.60ppg+), then maybe a team will spend a 2nd, but otherwise I think he'll be worth a 3rd rounder or below.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

I don't think he's proven enough for that. I think if he can keep this pace up (0.60ppg+), then maybe a team will spend a 2nd, but otherwise I think he'll be worth a 3rd rounder or below.
Thing is, if he keeps his production up I think Columbus would keep him. He's cheap and can fill any number of needs (center, wing, PK, PP, ES, etc.).

I wouldn't expect anybody to want to give up something of value for him unless they are sure he's that one missing piece for their playoff run. So I think he's the kind of guy who sticks around in Columbus and is happy (after almost being waived by Pittsburgh) that he has a steady job and production in the NHL.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

This.

He may fetch a late 2nd from a team desperate on deadline day...but he'd easily fetch a 3rd at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
(after almost being waived by Pittsburgh)
He was never "almost waived" by Pittsburgh. If he was...then that was a dumb acquisition by Columbus...giving the first pick in the 4th round up for a guy they'd have first crack at on waivers.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I loved him in Lord of the Rings.

But yeah his value to the team far outweighs what he would fetch on the open market in my opinion. He can play on the PK, PP, and add secondary scoring at ES. But his success hasn't been long lived and so we don't know if it's a fluke or not.
I disagree. We aren't going to be good for a few years, probably, so a 2nd round draft pick is worth more than a guy like Letestu.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

In a world where Paul Gaustad and a 4th-rounder is worth a non-division winning playoff 1st-rounder (21st overall), I'd argue that Letestu's value is higher than a low 2nd-rounder.

His cap hit and salary are both low enough to be nearly non-existent, and he's able to add not just versatility, but actual skill in several facets. He's not simply "defensively aware", he's good defensively. He's not "adequate" offensively, he's actually good as both a shooter and a playmaker. He'd be on any team's second PP or PK unit, first on some teams'.

And if there are 20+ teams that are looking at buying this year at the deadline, I'd expect someone to offer a 1st to get him.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In a world where Paul Gaustad and a 4th-rounder is worth a non-division winning playoff 1st-rounder (21st overall), I'd argue that Letestu's value is higher than a low 2nd-rounder.

His cap hit and salary are both low enough to be nearly non-existent, and he's able to add not just versatility, but actual skill in several facets. He's not simply "defensively aware", he's good defensively. He's not "adequate" offensively, he's actually good as both a shooter and a playmaker. He'd be on any team's second PP or PK unit, first on some teams'.

And if there are 20+ teams that are looking at buying this year at the deadline, I'd expect someone to offer a 1st to get him.
People really need to stop citing the Gaustad trade as having any sort of bearing on player value at the deadline.

Nashville was out of their minds, and they know it.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
People really need to stop citing the Gaustad trade as having any sort of bearing on player value at the deadline.

I can also reference the Kyle Quincey trade from last year as well.

The two trades in the 2011-12 season involving a 2012 first-rounder were the one I cited (Gaustad and a 4th for a 1st) and Quincey for an ECHL player (Sebastien Piche) and a 1st that ended up being #19 overall.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I can also reference the Kyle Quincey trade from last year as well.

The two trades in the 2011-12 season involving a 2012 first-rounder were the one I cited (Gaustad and a 4th for a 1st) and Quincey for an ECHL player (Sebastien Piche) and a 1st that ended up being #19 overall.
Referencing trades from a previous year doesn't hold water. New year equals different market.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He was never "almost waived" by Pittsburgh. If he was...then that was a dumb acquisition by Columbus...giving the first pick in the 4th round up for a guy they'd have first crack at on waivers.
Columbus wasn't first team in line to get him through waivers. So they gave up a 4th just to be sure they got him.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Referencing trades from a previous year doesn't hold water. New year equals different market.
Yes, it does equal a different market. This year there will most likely be more buyers and fewer sellers, driving up the price on whatever players are actually made available on the market.

Keep these two factors in mind:
- In a shortened season, every single game takes on extra importance since the gaps in points from spots 4-12 in either conference are likely to be extremely tight. Losing a second-line forward for two weeks may not be a big deal in a full season, but in a year like this it could be the difference between contending for the Cup and missing the playoffs entirely.
- We saw last year what a #8 seed on a hot streak in the playoffs could do. It only takes one person above a GM in an organization (like a team president, or possibly owner) to give the order to buy at the deadline to completely change the way the market looks.

Letestu is 28 and can reasonably be classified as a second-line NHLer with bonuses for versatility. He's not regarded as being as valuable as someone like Mike Fisher or Antoine Vermette because he doesn't have the overall body of work that those two do, but he's right there on the same level. On a second line, he'll get 20 goals and 50 points in a full season and play both special teams. He's also three years younger than Vermette and five years younger than Fisher and likely wouldn't cost anywhere near as much to re-sign as the deals those two are under.

Under completely ordinary circumstances, with a bigger gap between teams at the deadline and both fewer buyers and more sellers, a 2nd for Letestu on the open market may be reasonable. But I'm arguing that there's an extremely unusual shift in the market this year that may well see someone cough up a 1st for a guy with less than 200 NHL games at age 28.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Sergei Shirokov

What is he like defensively? And is he soft? or is there any grit/willingness to battle?

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

I can't see you getting a 1st.

If you think you can get a 1st for him, then we should have gotten a 1st for Max Lappierre last season.

a low 2nd is the max I could see if someone is as desperate as Nashville was, otherwise a 3rd or possible 3rd+ is more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post

I agree, Nashville simply wanted him badly, and BUF wasn't willing to let him go, so NSH to overpay.

1 person making a bad deal doesn't set market value.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Thing is, if he keeps his production up I think Columbus would keep him. He's cheap and can fill any number of needs (center, wing, PK, PP, ES, etc.).

I wouldn't expect anybody to want to give up something of value for him unless they are sure he's that one missing piece for their playoff run. So I think he's the kind of guy who sticks around in Columbus and is happy (after almost being waived by Pittsburgh) that he has a steady job and production in the NHL.
Pittsburgh had to many centers and Mark is not 4th line type of player. That's why he was moved. The Pens liked him, just didn't have a place for him.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:46 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:

he wasn't "almost...waived". he is a center. the Pens liked him but were stacked with centers.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

The thing with Letestu is that he is not good enough to be a 2nd line C on a good team, and he is not the kind of 3rd C that many playoff teams will want (ie. some version of shut down duty).

However, if your third line is not one to go up against tough opposition and you have wingers to make it more of a secondary scoring line, then Letestu is a fine, cheap option.

Doubt Columbus gets a 2nd rounder for him though. If he is finding a good niché with them, they should probably keep him instead.

And finally, if Letestu had been a winger at a comparable level to what he is as a center, he would still be with Pittsburgh. Value and need goes hand in hand.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:40 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
What is he like defensively? And is he soft? or is there any grit/willingness to battle?
He's responsible defensively and good in the face off circle but as it's been pointed out he's not a matchup/shutdown centre which is quite often what contenders are looking for out of their 3rd line centres. He's not soft and is willing to battle along the boards but he's undersized and not physical.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
he wasn't "almost...waived". he is a center. the Pens liked him but were stacked with centers.
He would have had to pass through waivers to go down to the AHL. I'm pretty certain the "rumors" at the time the Pens were getting healthy was that Letestu was the odd man out and would be sent down. He would have gone through waivers if that had been the case.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
He would have had to pass through waivers to go down to the AHL. I'm pretty certain the "rumors" at the time the Pens were getting healthy was that Letestu was the odd man out and would be sent down. He would have gone through waivers if that had been the case.
True but he obviously had decent value since he fetched an early 4th so he never really came close to being waived because he had value around the league.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Honestly, I take the position that if we aren't going to get a 1st from him (unlikely unless the market takes a wild turn like Mayor Bee has suggested) that we might as well hold onto the guy. He adds more to this team than I think another shot in the 2nd round would do.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote