HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Our bottom talent is the issue, it's the guys at the top. By replacing the guys at the top, we effectively replace Yip but guys like Yip, Spaling, Gaustad and the like are the least of our problems.

What we need to do is to develop the young players like Wilson and Smith into guys that can put the puck in the back of the net. Take the lumps you're going to get with them defensively but teach them the game and let them be what they are, gifted offensive players. Focusing so much on the defensive side takes them longer to develop. If they mess up, put them back on the ice to learn from their mistake. Heck, I watch Gill and Hannan who are vets and they put the puck in places you're not supposed to put them but they are out shift after shift. The same rules don't and have never applied to the youth of the roster.

Put Smith at one center position, Wilson at the other and there are your top two centers. Put Spaling at the three and you have your centers for the next how ever many years you want. Put Gaustad on the 4th line for now and then give all of these guys wings. Develop the team for the future instead of this roller coaster.

All teams have leaders but put the youth in important rolls, I think we'd be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Upgrading the top end of the talent isn't going to happen, so we can only hope that they upgrade the weakest links.

I'm all for calling up Watson in Yips place.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
The Predators have now played 21 games.

In that span, they have...FOUR REGULATION WINS.

Four.
that stat makes me puke

Old
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
The Predators have now played 21 games.

In that span, they have...FOUR REGULATION WINS.

Four.
That is quite the shocking stat. To put it into perspective, only Edmonton has less (3). We're tied with Columbus for second worst in the league at 4. All while having played the most games in our conference. Both teams could pass us with their games in hand.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
That is quite the shocking stat. To put it into perspective, only Edmonton has less (3). We're tied with Columbus for second worst in the league at 4. All while having played the most games in our conference. Both teams could pass us with their games in hand.
so, we suck.. no?

Old
02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
so, we suck.. no?
We're remarkably mediocre. Trotz won't let us get to the level suck

Old
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
We're remarkably mediocre. Trotz won't let us get to the level suck
Rinne prevents the suckage as well. The absence of offense, however.....

Old
02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
NoNecksCurse

i like that. remarkably mediocre!

Old
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We should change our name to the "play it safe Predators"

Old
02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We should change our name to the "play it safe Predators"
The Nashville Mediocres: 8th Place or Bust!

Old
03-02-2013, 01:47 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Alright I am going to be captain hindsight towards poile for a minute.

So say we decided to pay Hamhuis his contract, knowing how our D prospects would pan out as they are now, and then traded Suter with 1yr left on his deal to get a great return, ie. a top 3 forward. Our D would look much better right now, with a bolstered offense.

Weber-Hamhuis
Josi-Klein
Ellis-Hannan/Gill

Old
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

It appears that Brett Wilson was behind the McGrattan trade ... just go read his timeline on twitter

Old
03-04-2013, 12:29 AM
NoNecksCurse

4 regulation wins in 22 games now.. we are now in 10th place .. pretty much 11th place. LA is a point behind us with 3 games in hand.

if we struggle on this upcoming stretch of 8-10 games, our season could be done. i have Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver, st louis, san jose as locks for the playoffs. that leaves 3 spots between us, Detroit, Phoenix, los Angeles, dallas, Minnesota... hell, even Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton have a shot.. with our offense, i think were a lock to miss the playoffs this year. just hope we can suck enough to draft in the top 6-8

Old
03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
It appears that Brett Wilson was behind the McGrattan trade ... just go read his timeline on twitter
How about a link?

Old
03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I saw what you are talking about, but in no way was McGrattan forced out due to anything other than the lack of a need for a heavyweight enforcer in the lineup.

Wilson and others likely supported Poile's efforts to trade McGrattan after he cleared waivers because there was no point in having him languish in Milwaukee.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
How about a link?

- W. Brett Wilson - @WBrettWilson
@roccorossiTO pure unadulterated halfwitted goon does have more panache.
Reply Retweet Favorite More options 13h

@sniem94 not suggesting no fighting - but top teams don't usually need a goon slot - rather have a real player ... 13h

Not sure a pure goon adds any value to a hockey team any more. Just need tough hockey skills I suggest.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:42 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
4 regulation wins in 22 games now.. we are now in 10th place .. pretty much 11th place. LA is a point behind us with 3 games in hand.

if we struggle on this upcoming stretch of 8-10 games, our season could be done. i have Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver, st louis, san jose as locks for the playoffs. that leaves 3 spots between us, Detroit, Phoenix, los Angeles, dallas, Minnesota... hell, even Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton have a shot.. with our offense, i think were a lock to miss the playoffs this year. just hope we can suck enough to draft in the top 6-8
I don't know if I would call anyone a lock other than Chicago and Anaheim. Vancouver is 3 points up on 9th. STL a point. A mere 2-3 game skid drops you from 3rd or 4th down to 10th-11th place. Heck, a win tonight puts us from 10th to 4th. Dwelling on the standings is gonna do nothing but cause heartburn. Once we either hit game 40 and are 3-4 points back or drop 8 or so from 8th is the time to really worry.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:

The fan in me wants to never say never, but 4 RW in 22 games is pretty awful. Given the fact that the team shoots little and scores less convinces me this is the beginning of the end of this current team's run. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Poile sell at the deadline to restock the cupboard with picks.

I know it is a cliche, and there are always exceptions to the rule, but the Preds need some form of dynamic offensive talent to win a Cup. Since the '04 lockout the point leader for the Cup-winning team has averaged 90 points. Our top guy has averaged 65 points a season, while not even cracking the 60-point mark the last 3.

With increased attendance, corporate participation, and promises from ownership I am expecting to see some positive changes to this team over the offseason.

I know some feel the 'Predator Way' can bring a cup here and I respect that. I don't share the same feeling and hope there will be some things done roster-wise.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 PM
glenngineer

So Trotz can usually do a lot with a little. Well, is this the season he finally can't get the most out of his players?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

has Trotz's message lost it's shine?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I'm not saying it has or it hasn't but people always say he gets the most out of his players so it's either he's not getting the most out of them or there is nothing left to be had, Fisher/Legwand. I don't think either are done but they are not producing either. Not many people are.

This is the most frustrated I've been with the team in a while. We are either not very good or way too inconsistent or a lot of both. We're not out of it by any means but we need to learn to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
maybe. maybe not. I think the short season magnifies a skid. Happens every year it seems for a good 6-8 games and then the ship gets righted. Can't really afford that.

Of course we could beat LA and move back into 4th and the positive pollys can come back to fight the negative nancys

Old
03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think our offense is on a skid, a skid is 10 games, this has been a common theme this season. We cannot produce offense.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe. maybe not. I think the short season magnifies a skid. Happens every year it seems for a good 6-8 games and then the ship gets righted. Can't really afford that.

Of course we could beat LA and move back into 4th and the positive pollys can come back to fight the negative nancys
No positive polly can argue with 4(or 5) regulation wins in 23 tries. Standings only tell one side of the story and can be a pretty big red herring. Sometimes good teams lose games they deserve to win--that's not what's happening this season.

This has, to this point, been a very, very poor hockey team, and the standings\point totals don't accurately reflect that.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If we can somehow right the ship before it's too late, we'll be very grateful we stole points early in the season that we didn't deserve.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:40 AM
april

Soooo... Hannan is sitting right now at a -9. If Ellis or Blum was even CLOSE to a -9, their butt would be on a plane to Milwaukee faster than they could blink. Why doesn't Poile spend time developing their young talent instead of trading for old, mediocre defenseman like Hannan and Gill and treating them better than the youngsters? That's just asking for another Suter situation...once they have the chance a few years down the line when they have worked their way to the top, I wouldn't be too surprised if they drop their allegiance for the Preds.

Closed Thread