HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Mike Gillis Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
  #1
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Mike Gillis Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcanuck View Post
I hate AV as much as the next guy, but MG should go first before AV.
He's made some good moves and bad moves. I would only rate him as average among NHL GMs right now.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
  #2
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
He's made some good moves and bad moves. I would only rate him as average among NHL GMs right now.
Seriously? He took a nothing team and made them into 2-time PT winners, SCF game 7 losers and an organization that free agents actually respect. He has improved the drafting by leaps and bounds compred to what we had in Nonis' time here. Despite their current play the team is more entertaining than it ever was under Nonis and the 10-11 team was one of the most entertaining NHL teams in the last decade or longer.

I think you're seriously overrating most GMs.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 AM
  #3
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seriously? He took a nothing team and made them into 2-time PT winners, SCF game 7 losers and an organization that free agents actually respect. He has improved the drafting by leaps and bounds compred to what we had in Nonis' time here. Despite their current play the team is more entertaining than it ever was under Nonis and the 10-11 team was one of the most entertaining NHL teams in the last decade or longer.

I think you're seriously overrating most GMs.
Dale Tallon took a nothing team and won a Cup. I don't think highly of him either.

Gillis' missteps, imo:
  • Signing Luongo to that contract and then following it up by signing Schneider to his contract without resolving Luongo's status first.
  • Trading for Ballard.
  • Trading for Booth.
  • His comment re: Hodgson at the end of last season.

He's done some good things but the bad drops him back a few notches.

Other than BC boys, Hamhuis and Garrison, what big free agents has Gillis landed?

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:15 AM
  #4
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Other than BC boys, Hamhuis and Garrison, what big free agents has Gillis landed?
Malhotra? Sundin? Demitra? More to the point, how many BC boys actually wanted to come back prior to him becoming a GM? Because Scott Niedermeyer and Paul Kariya certainly didn't, nor did Joe Sakic.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 AM
  #5
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.
 
Canadian Gold X3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Malhotra? Sundin? Demitra? More to the point, how many BC boys actually wanted to come back prior to him becoming a GM? Because Scott Niedermeyer and Paul Kariya certainly didn't, nor did Joe Sakic.
I think they would've been if gillis was GM back then. Mark Reechi wanted to be a Canuck, from what I remember.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:23 AM
  #6
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod
 
canuckster19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gothenburg Sweden
Country: Canada
Posts: 730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Dale Tallon took a nothing team and won a Cup. I don't think highly of him either.

Gillis' missteps, imo:
  • Signing Luongo to that contract and then following it up by signing Schneider to his contract without resolving Luongo's status first.
  • Trading for Ballard.
  • Trading for Booth.
  • His comment re: Hodgson at the end of last season.

He's done some good things but the bad drops him back a few notches.

Other than BC boys, Hamhuis and Garrison, what big free agents has Gillis landed?
Sedins on a last minute trip to Sweden, Mats Sundin.

canuckster19 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
  #7
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Malhotra? Sundin? Demitra? More to the point, how many BC boys actually wanted to come back prior to him becoming a GM? Because Scott Niedermeyer and Paul Kariya certainly didn't, nor did Joe Sakic.
Manny was a big part of the team up until his injury but I wouldn't call him a big fish. He was a third liner. The other two were on the downside of their careers (plus the ridiculous money thrown at Sundin hardly speaks to any skill on Gillis' part). When attracting FAs, the hometown connection is a significant lever. I think it's a reason why Parise and Suter signed with the Wild. I don't think Vancouver is a stand out destination for FAs.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
  #8
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Manny was a big part of the team up until his injury but I wouldn't call him a big fish. He was a third liner. The other two were on the downside of their careers. When attracting FAs, the hometown connection is a significant lever. I think it's a reason why Parise and Suter signed with the Wild. I don't think Vancouver is a stand out destination for FAs.
Yet it was never a consideration until Gillis arrived? Twilight or not, all of those players drew a lot of interest. Malhotra also drew a lot of interest despite being a 3rd liner because teams knew what he could do. Hell, he was considered for a Selke in his first season here. He was a fantastic player prior to his injury. Jordan Staal was probably the only 3rd line centre in the league that could compete with him.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
  #9
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
Sedins on a last minute trip to Sweden
They were not FAs.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:33 AM
  #10
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
I should add Bernier getting an offer sheet to be another Gillis "oops".

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:33 AM
  #11
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Gillis shouldn't get anymore credit for signing Hamhius than Nonis got for signing Mitchell. Malhotra is another Gillis blunder, he could've signed him the year before he did for under 1 million, probably would've helped against the Hawks more than Wellwood did.

Gillis sure gets a lot of credit for a guy that's made no core moves and no coaching changes in 5 years and has just rode along riding the core that was already here and moving around the depth pieces.

Look at our best two lines tonight:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Raymond Higgins


ONE of those 6 players is a Gills addition. This is 5 years since he got here and all the guys producing were already here. Both goalies were already here, can't seem to win without Bieksa and he was here, Edler plays the big minutes he was here.

AV works with what Gillis gives him. Which are basically depth players and guys from Florida.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
  #12
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I should add Bernier getting an offer sheet to be another Gillis "oops".
His offer sheet to backes wasn't an oops.

Crows* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
  #13
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Anyway, I took this wildly off topic. This is the AV thread so we should probably discuss that.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
  #14
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Mike Gillis discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
His offer sheet to backes wasn't an oops.
Leaving himself open to a retaliatory OF was.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:55 AM
  #15
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Leaving himself open to a retaliatory OF was.
Who cares. I have no problem with teams going after players VIA offer sheet.

Crows* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:58 AM
  #16
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,032
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberPucky View Post
Fire him, and Gillis.

Vancouver is a team that is underachieving, and has been for the last 2 years (ever since they reached the Stanley Cup Finals, they started declining).

This whole Luongo/Schneider thing has gone on WAY too long, and it shows the incompetence of Gillis.
So he's just supposed to dump one of them for nothing?

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:58 AM
  #17
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Gillis shouldn't get anymore credit for signing Hamhius than Nonis got for signing Mitchell. Malhotra is another Gillis blunder, he could've signed him the year before he did for under 1 million, probably would've helped against the Hawks more than Wellwood did.

Gillis sure gets a lot of credit for a guy that's made no core moves and no coaching changes in 5 years and has just rode along riding the core that was already here and moving around the depth pieces.

Look at our best two lines tonight:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Raymond Higgins


ONE of those 6 players is a Gills addition. This is 5 years since he got here and all the guys producing were already here. Both goalies were already here, can't seem to win without Bieksa and he was here, Edler plays the big minutes he was here.

AV works with what Gillis gives him. Which are basically depth players and guys from Florida.
yeah but look at our D

Edler Tanev*

Garrison* Hamhius*

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:06 AM
  #18
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Gillis shouldn't get anymore credit for signing Hamhius than Nonis got for signing Mitchell. Malhotra is another Gillis blunder, he could've signed him the year before he did for under 1 million, probably would've helped against the Hawks more than Wellwood did.

Gillis sure gets a lot of credit for a guy that's made no core moves and no coaching changes in 5 years and has just rode along riding the core that was already here and moving around the depth pieces.

Look at our best two lines tonight:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Raymond Higgins


ONE of those 6 players is a Gills addition. This is 5 years since he got here and all the guys producing were already here. Both goalies were already here, can't seem to win without Bieksa and he was here, Edler plays the big minutes he was here.

AV works with what Gillis gives him. Which are basically depth players and guys from Florida.
Gillis good moves

-Signing Sundin

-re signing Kesler for 5 mil

re signing Burrows for 2 mil

signing hamhuis.

somehow scoring Erhoff from the sharks for virtually nothing

scoring Booth for nothing even though he hasnt really lived up to the hype

re signing edler for 5 mil

scoing Lappy and Higgins for virtually nothing.

trading hodgson for Kassian

Bad moves

Letting Sami Salo walk out when he clearly had a lot to offer still

Letting Willie Mitchell walk away , much to his chagrin

Letting Erhoff just walk out for nothing.

Not re signing Raymond and now has to pony up or lose him for nothing.

Almost letting the Sedins walk out, had to get on a plane and travel 14 hours to Sweden at the 11th hour . Had to go on bended knee with flowers to woo the Sedins back. He would have been FIRED if they became UFAs. What a disaster that would have been.

horrifying moves

Trading Grabner and a first round pick for a guy who is overpaid and not a top 4 defense man on your team. He may be a top 4 guy in florida, but not here. What a disaster for us and for Ballard . Hes wasted 3 years of his life on a team where there is no space for him.

And the granddaddy of all insane moves?

Singing Roberto Luongo to a 12 year 64 million dollar cap circumvention deal when he was already 31 years old. Its a move that is going to haunt us for the next decade. Regardless if we trade him we have to eat half his cap hit.

Wizeman* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:10 AM
  #19
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.
 
Canadian Gold X3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,405
vCash: 500
Mike Gillis discussion thread

The AV thread is being overrun with MG discussions. Post MG discussion here.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:12 AM
  #20
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™
 
CASUAL KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sk, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,870
vCash: 500
How was trading for Booth a good move? He's a 4.25M 4th liner. He has no hockey sense. Florida knew the writing was on the wall and just dumped him for expiring contracts.

He also offered Sundin 20M over 2 years which he thankfully declined and just took 1 year. Sundin was terrible in his time here and retired the next year. Can you imagine another year of 10M cap hit of worn out Sundin?

CASUAL KEV is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:13 AM
  #21
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,502
vCash: 1512
Every GM has good and bad moves, and people get caught up in hindsight too much without looking at the actual situation around it at that time. For example, Mitchell and Salo. If we knew Mitchell was going to recover from that concussion, we would've re-signed him but there were question marks surrounding Mitchell.

Same as Sami and his injuries, and look, he's injured in Tampa right now as we speak. Salo is not worth what Tampa paid him, IMO and I think his numbers are a bit inflated from being on such a high scoring team in Tampa.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
  #22
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
i cringe at the thought of him making more trades. he is absolutely awful in that respect

VeteranNetPresence is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:18 AM
  #23
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Who cares. I have no problem with teams going after players VIA offer sheet.
I have no problems with what the Blues did. It's what Gillis did. He left Bernier on the backburner and got caught.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:19 AM
  #24
MAGICMAN1963
Registered User
 
MAGICMAN1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: RED DEER ALBERTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Can some one tell MG that there are other teams besides Florida he can make trades with.

MAGICMAN1963 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:20 AM
  #25
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Every GM has good and bad moves, and people get caught up in hindsight too much without looking at the actual situation around it at that time. For example, Mitchell and Salo.
He did the right thing with Mitchell and Salo (and Ehrhoff, for that matter). I hated the Ballard trade the second I heard it reported. Massive overpayment even if he performed exactly as advertised.

Fat Tony is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.