HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Gillis Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:21 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I have no problems with what the Blues did. It's what Gillis did. He left Bernier on the backburner and got caught.
It was a rookie mistake.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
I have no problems with what the Blues did. It's what Gillis did. He left Bernier on the backburner and got caught.
In hindsight, losing bernier for a couple draft picks wouldn't have too bad..

Old
03-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Fat Tony

Yeah, no more big men that play small, please.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:28 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Bad moves

Letting Sami Salo walk out when he clearly had a lot to offer still

Letting Willie Mitchell walk away , much to his chagrin

Letting Erhoff just walk out for nothing.

Not re signing Raymond and now has to pony up or lose him for nothing.

Almost letting the Sedins walk out, had to get on a plane and travel 14 hours to Sweden at the 11th hour . Had to go on bended knee with flowers to woo the Sedins back. He would have been FIRED if they became UFAs. What a disaster that would have been.

horrifying moves

Trading Grabner and a first round pick for a guy who is overpaid and not a top 4 defense man on your team. He may be a top 4 guy in florida, but not here. What a disaster for us and for Ballard . Hes wasted 3 years of his life on a team where there is no space for him.

And the granddaddy of all insane moves?

Singing Roberto Luongo to a 12 year 64 million dollar cap circumvention deal when he was already 31 years old. Its a move that is going to haunt us for the next decade. Regardless if we trade him we have to eat half his cap hit.
Salo was no longer capable of playing top 4 minutes here - it was too much on him. Mitchell... we should all know by now why he was let go. Not sure how your point about Raymond is something actually bad though?

The Ballard deal was also the right move at the time - it just didn't turn out well, and that happens to all GMs, not just him. Also not his fault the idiot coaches haven't even been able to use his strengths to help the team.

And the Luongo contract is a hell of a signing. An elite No. 1 netminder for a cap hit of only 5.3M is crazy good. Why do you think the league would want to get rid of and punish these contracts in the first place then?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:28 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Who did we have to give up for Booth? Who?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
one broken Samuelsson and an overripe Sturm

Old
03-04-2013, 01:36 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Quote:
Peanuts.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:38 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Gillis good moves

-Signing Sundin

-re signing Kesler for 5 mil

re signing Burrows for 2 mil

signing hamhuis.

somehow scoring Erhoff from the sharks for virtually nothing

scoring Booth for nothing even though he hasnt really lived up to the hype

re signing edler for 5 mil

scoing Lappy and Higgins for virtually nothing.

trading hodgson for Kassian

Bad moves

Letting Sami Salo walk out when he clearly had a lot to offer still

Letting Willie Mitchell walk away , much to his chagrin

Letting Erhoff just walk out for nothing.

Not re signing Raymond and now has to pony up or lose him for nothing.

Almost letting the Sedins walk out, had to get on a plane and travel 14 hours to Sweden at the 11th hour . Had to go on bended knee with flowers to woo the Sedins back. He would have been FIRED if they became UFAs. What a disaster that would have been.

horrifying moves

Trading Grabner and a first round pick for a guy who is overpaid and not a top 4 defense man on your team. He may be a top 4 guy in florida, but not here. What a disaster for us and for Ballard . Hes wasted 3 years of his life on a team where there is no space for him.

And the granddaddy of all insane moves?

Singing Roberto Luongo to a 12 year 64 million dollar cap circumvention deal when he was already 31 years old. Its a move that is going to haunt us for the next decade. Regardless if we trade him we have to eat half his cap hit.
Not an MG defender (i'm okay with him) but I'll bite:

-No way letting Salo walk was a bad move (BTW GMMG inked him to a $2M deal for 2011-12). Fact is that he's very injury prone and already in his late 30's. He looked slow and wasn't handling his minutes with Edler well. He got off to a hot start with Tampa but he's slowed down. We could use him now, sure, but what about the next three years with a 3.5M cap hit that won't come off the books? With a lowered cap ceiling? That would've been very ugly for us.

-Mitchell walking was eh. The sentiment at the time was that he was injury prone and a headshot away from phoning it in. He managed to stay healthy for the Kings' Cup run but now he's on the shelf yet again. Not sure if he would've liked to be #5 or #6 in the depth chart, either, while he obviously played a big role for LA.

-Ehrhoff walking, I can definitively agree with you (we got a 4th rounder!!!). We lost a PMD that we never got around to replacing..

-Now, acquiring Ballard for what we gave up wasn't bad. I really liked Grabner's potential myself, but with AV around he wouldn't get a Top 6 chance meaning he'd be waiver material. Indeed, he was waived in Florida and it took the most cheapsskate, depleted organization to claim him and let him develop at his pace. Bernier was pretty much a dump and Oreskovich was worthless, so it was pretty much a late 1st for Ballard. Not bad even given his performance/handling, but it led to Ehrhoff walking.

Odd that I never watched much of Ballard but I knew that he wasn't going to fill that role simply by looking at his statsheet. Okay numbers for bottom feeders, but he wouldn't be a Top 4 or PP mainstay from the get go.

-With no one knowing how much Raymond's injury would affect his play, it was a fair gamble to give him a 1-year deal. Lest his back never fully heal and we be stuck with a chronically injured player for the long haul.

-Hardballing the Sedins was risky as hell, but it did yield two nice contracts so eh.

-The Luongo deal is tricky. It was signed when cap circumvention was in vogue and tying a goalie of his caliber for 5.33 was definitively a steal short-term and when his play would decline, he'd get sent to the minors or retire since there would be little money from him. Can't say GMMG could've predicted the change in the CBA, or that Schneider would turn out to be a very legit NHL starter, but I'm not holding him against this one as the deal did make sense at the time.

Old
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
Gillis took this team from bottom 10 to a back to back President's trophy team who was one game away from the cup. Idiotic to suggest he's been less than amazing as GM the team hasn't placed lower than 3 rd with him as GM.

Old
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Peanuts.
And guess what we could get for him in a trade now?

Peanuts.

The difference is sturm/samuelsson would be off our books and booth is eating 4 +mil of cap.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

Peanuts.

The difference is sturm/samuelsson would be off our books and booth is eating 4 +mil of cap.
What do we do with the cap space? And we could get rid of him for nothing, and free cap space so whats the big deal?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:50 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Peanuts.

Players who were signed to 4 million dollars during the F.A. period in July range from Fillip Kuba to Jiri Hudler, I don't know about you but I'd rather have Booth.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:54 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seriously? He took a nothing team and made them into 2-time PT winners, SCF game 7 losers and an organization that free agents actually respect. He has improved the drafting by leaps and bounds compred to what we had in Nonis' time here. Despite their current play the team is more entertaining than it ever was under Nonis and the 10-11 team was one of the most entertaining NHL teams in the last decade or longer.

I think you're seriously overrating most GMs.
This core, including both goalies and the coaches are Nonis's doing. Not Gillis.

Mike Gillis has only one home run and that is Erhoff. That's it. The rest is window dressing and Nonis resigns.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:56 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
Sedins on a last minute trip to Sweden, Mats Sundin.
playing with fire and mistake.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
This core, including both goalies and the coaches are Nonis's doing. Not Gillis.

Mike Gillis has only one home run and that is Erhoff. That's it. The rest is window dressing and Nonis resigns.
Right and how come Nonis was nowhere near as successful with this team? Gillis is so damn underrated here.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:59 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Quote:

Peanuts.

Well of course he'd get us peanuts. His value is at an all-time low, he just came off an injury, and has yet to be able to stay in the Canucks lineup to maintain any sort of production. Getting kneed isn't exactly him being prone to injury. He's yet to have any type of actual linemates, considering Kesler was beat up last year. He scored at an 0.52 PPG clip, and we treat him as if he's scored 10 points last season.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:04 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
How was trading for Booth a good move? He's a 4.25M 4th liner. He has no hockey sense. Florida knew the writing was on the wall and just dumped him for expiring contracts.

He also offered Sundin 20M over 2 years which he thankfully declined and just took 1 year. Sundin was terrible in his time here and retired the next year. Can you imagine another year of 10M cap hit of worn out Sundin?
I think a lot of Canucks fans liked the deal at the time. Sturm was on a 2 year contract. We all might have done that deal.

I still think Booth is a project.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:05 AM
StringerBell

Gillis is great. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the coaching situation over the rest of the season.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:08 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
We took on Booths expensive and long contract.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
What do we do with the cap space? And we could get rid of him for nothing, and free cap space so whats the big deal?
Ask Aquilini if it's for nothing.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Players who were signed to 4 million dollars during the F.A. period in July range from Fillip Kuba to Jiri Hudler, I don't know about you but I'd rather have Booth.
I'd rather have Hudler.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Soth

Wow this thread is hilarious. We have probably the best GM in the NHL. I can't even believe this.

I don't understand the fans in this forum. Other teams forums the fans are fairly positive, but the threads in here lately, wow.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:16 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Right and how come Nonis was nowhere near as successful with this team? Gillis is so damn underrated here.
Because Nonis endured the rebuild years after Burkes core was gone. And he did a good job of that. He replenished the farm and got Loungo.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighReally View Post
There are many beefs to be had about the Canucks organization. But yours represents the rabid ranting incoherent dark side of the Canucks fanbase, the inbreed cousin, that we try to hide so hard from the other 29 team fanbases.

Hahaha, ok whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:23 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Ask Aquilini if it's for nothing.
I think the poster meant trade him away for nothing.

Closed Thread