HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brooks Orpik

Old
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzydrew22 View Post
Obviously none of you are penguin fans or watch the games bc what would happen to the pens defense if they got rid of him? They would have letang and Martin as their top pairing and whose after that? Niskanen.. Engelland.. Despres.. Bortuzzo.. That's a ****** defense, orpik is their only stay at home defenseman, enough said
We are Penguins fans and we've been watching the games as we can see that without Orpik we'd be fine. What does he bring now? Nothing. Last season you could be guaranteed of a bit of free candy every game or two but not it seems non-existent. He's served his time here and we'd be fine with the players you listed. Despres and Bortuzzo have to be two bright sparks in our D and despite some mistakes creeping into Despres game recently I'd still take him over Orpik at this point. One of the big things about Orpik this season is that he's been on the ice for goals against, more than all but Paul Martin. The only good game that Orpik has had this season that I can recall was against the Rangers when he decimated Kreider.

Personally, I think there's either something wrong with the system which causing the bad play lately as we were okay at the start. Or, we need a change of players and a trade to switch things up or thirdly and lastly, we need a change of personnel. Weather that's Bylsma or the coaching staff is to be desired.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
PensFan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We are Penguins fans and we've been watching the games as we can see that without Orpik we'd be fine. What does he bring now? Nothing. Last season you could be guaranteed of a bit of free candy every game or two but not it seems non-existent. He's served his time here and we'd be fine with the players you listed. Despres and Bortuzzo have to be two bright sparks in our D and despite some mistakes creeping into Despres game recently I'd still take him over Orpik at this point. One of the big things about Orpik this season is that he's been on the ice for goals against, more than all but Paul Martin. The only good game that Orpik has had this season that I can recall was against the Rangers when he decimated Kreider.

Personally, I think there's either something wrong with the system which causing the bad play lately as we were okay at the start. Or, we need a change of players and a trade to switch things up or thirdly and lastly, we need a change of personnel. Weather that's Bylsma or the coaching staff is to be desired.
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Orpik on a team with some kind of defensive system would return to the steady defensive dman he's always been. Pens would be stupid to move him, as our defensive system is a joke. While he's the one that seems to be there for goals, he's quite often the one in front of the net with 2 or more opposing players he's supposed to cover on his own. The other dman is behind the net, and 2 of the forwards are starting a breakout.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
drizzydrew22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Gaustad got them a 1st last deadline and you don't think Regher will cost at least a 2nd? and yes if they move Orpik, they're gonna need to replace him for the playoff run.
Bro are you serious?!?!? How can you say that's a good thing? Some GM's are willing to offer more than others bc there desperate, where are the predators now? They have no one except weber who's way overpayed and Peka who is pretty good that's it

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
BumFortyOne

At this point, I'd be willing to move Orpik if the return was someone like Stewart.

Not because I think Orpik is worthless, but because he might have the value to bring in a long term solution on the wing.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Brooks orpik is not for sale, he's the only stay at home defenseman for the penguins and is a leader in the locker room so really this blog should end right here.
Very much disagree with this. He is getting old and can be replaced. It seems like I see 44 on the ice a lot for goals against. Heck, he was a minus 3 last night, and we scored 7 goals!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Obviously none of you are penguin fans or watch the games bc what would happen to the pens defense if they got rid of him? They would have letang and Martin as their top pairing and whose after that? Niskanen.. Engelland.. Despres.. Bortuzzo.. That's a ****** defense, orpik is their only stay at home defenseman, enough said
HAHAHA. Been a Pens fan for a pretty long time.....Long enough to remember when Doug Bullard was our best player! Most of the guys commenting are Pens fans. You see their names on the Pens board all of the time.

Orpik is replaceable. He has been nowhere near the stay at home defenseman you think he is, for about 2 years now. Ray can always make a trade for a veteran stay at home d-man that costs 1/2 of what Brooks costs.

Letang - Despres
Martin - vet via trade
Nisky - Engo

We don't miss him one bit!

Old
03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Orpik on a team with some kind of defensive system would return to the steady defensive dman he's always been. Pens would be stupid to move him, as our defensive system is a joke. While he's the one that seems to be there for goals, he's quite often the one in front of the net with 2 or more opposing players he's supposed to cover on his own. The other dman is behind the net, and 2 of the forwards are starting a breakout.
Seriously? He just got taken to school last night, one on one in front by Brandon freakin Prust.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
HAHAHA. Been a Pens fan for a pretty long time.....Long enough to remember when Doug Bullard was our best player! Most of the guys commenting are Pens fans. You see their names on the Pens board all of the time.

Orpik is replaceable. He has been nowhere near the stay at home defenseman you think he is, for about 2 years now. Ray can always make a trade for a veteran stay at home d-man that costs 1/2 of what Brooks costs.

Letang - Despres
Martin - vet via trade
Nisky - Engo

I think you're stretching it a bit. 1.875 find a veteran D-man who can skate and clear the net for that. You're talking bottom pair D-man. The problem with Brooks is he's the only guy reliable to do what he does, the rest are rookies or not big enough to clear the crease. Brooks is on an island this year, and for that matter for a few years. He needs help not let go. That will come with time with the rookies and maybe another addition.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:08 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Letang - Despres
Martin - vet via trade
Nisky - Engo

You have one bad memory dude. It's MIKE BULLARD, not Doug. People who say they have been Penguin fans for a pretty long time know this.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:

Letang - Despres
Martin - vet via trade
Nisky - Engo

lol wut? That sounds like a bad idea for a team that wants to win a Cup. I love Simon as much as the next guy but thats just cray!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
lol wut? That sounds like a bad idea for a team that wants to win a Cup. I love Simon as much as the next guy but thats just cray!
why? he was with Letang earlier in the season and looked good.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:

Letang - Despres
Martin - vet via trade
Nisky - Engo

Your memory isn't that good. Were talking about Mike Bullard (who was good) or Doug Sheddon ( who wasn't that good).

I go back to the last year of the Hornets when they won the Calder Cup.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:24 AM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
why? he was with Letang earlier in the season and looked good.
You mean besides the fact that hes a 21 year old with basically a handful of NHL games playing sheltered minutes?

Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
You mean besides the fact that hes a 21 year old with basically a handful of NHL games playing sheltered minutes?
so are you suggesting that means he sucks with Letang or that there are better options to pair with Letang? the latter i agree with, but the former i don't.

if they trade Orpik, they do have to get a top-4 defenseman in return somehow (or a bottom-pair d-man if one of their younger guys like Bortuzzo or Dumoulin can step up big). he's starting to show his age so, whether they trade him or not, his days as a Penguin are numbered.

right now, Despres isn't doing anything to disappoint me, regardless of his average time on ice.

Last edited by domaug*: 03-04-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Right, because young rookies never make an impact in the playoffs. How many more times is this going to have to be proven wrong before people stop using it in arguments?

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:03 AM
BrookswasHere44

Im not saying Despres sucks anywhere...ever...but i am saying his sample size is way to small to be penciled in the top pairing of a Cup aspiring team.

And to Cliff...you must be kidding. You think we are better off without Orpik going into the playoffs and riding a kid like Despres? Despres is very good and will probably be great but to think that him and Letang as a top pair is cool then i cant help you. One could argue Letang is as much a liability defensively as Orpik so ride Letang-Despres is a sure fire way to get Flyer'ed again this year.

As mentioned Orpik is the only (albeit not very impressive at times) shut down physical stay at home style guy on D we have...not REAL likely to be moved unless its a great deal.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Im not saying Despres sucks anywhere...ever...but i am saying his sample size is way to small to be penciled in the top pairing of a Cup aspiring team.

And to Cliff...you must be kidding. You think we are better off without Orpik going into the playoffs and riding a kid like Despres? Despres is very good and will probably be great but to think that him and Letang as a top pair is cool then i cant help you. One could argue Letang is as much a liability defensively as Orpik so ride Letang-Despres is a sure fire way to get Flyer'ed again this year.

As mentioned Orpik is the only (albeit not very impressive at times) shut down physical stay at home style guy on D we have...not REAL likely to be moved unless its a great deal.
Nope, never said that. Keep Brooks with Martin, they were playing fine. Niskanen on the bottom pair with Engo, and I'm fine with Despres getting protected top-pair minutes on the 1st pair with Letang. They've been good every time they've been together this year,

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:39 AM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Nope, never said that. Keep Brooks with Martin, they were playing fine. Niskanen on the bottom pair with Engo, and I'm fine with Despres getting protected top-pair minutes on the 1st pair with Letang. They've been good every time they've been together this year,
Ok...i could possibly argue that but its kinda nit picking. I misunderstood your status on Orpik

Old
03-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The Blues are not trading Stewart for Orpik. This is not the struggling Stewart from last season.
And none of us know how much the Blues GM would covet a guy like Orpik. It doesn't matter what any of us think for who's going to get whom in a trade, we've seen before, a GM valuing certain players more than others and willing to give up something to get it done.

Let's just wait and see where this goes, if he does get moved.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:54 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

He would be perfect in Vancouver, absolutely perfect. Our team needs a few more warriors with big time edge that can percolate come playoff time.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:03 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He would be perfect in Vancouver, absolutely perfect. Our team needs a few more warriors with big time edge that can percolate come playoff time.
who would the Canucks realistically offer for him?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I think you're stretching it a bit. 1.875 find a veteran D-man who can skate and clear the net for that. You're talking bottom pair D-man. The problem with Brooks is he's the only guy reliable to do what he does, the rest are rookies or not big enough to clear the crease. Brooks is on an island this year, and for that matter for a few years. He needs help not let go. That will come with time with the rookies and maybe another addition.
To be fair, Brooks hasn't been clearing the crease as well as he is capable of. I think he's flown under the radar most nights because Martin has played so well and people focus on him more. But Orpik hasn't been as physical as he once was, I see Engelland doing more of that stuff that Orpik used to do than Brooks does these days.

I like Orpik and I think all of us do, it's why most don't want to think about him being replaceable this soon or at all. I thought he'd retire a Penguin, but things change.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:07 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Im not a big proposal guys but I'm sure they could put together a nice package. I believe they need to make some moves and shake things up a bit so anyone outside of the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler should be on the market along with picks and prospects and one of our two goalies. But I doubt Gillis agrees and will probably keep things the same and we'll have another early exit.

He would be such a nice addition though, we still need to become more difficult to play against and I have always loved what Orpik brings.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:08 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
To be fair, Brooks hasn't been clearing the crease as well as he is capable of. I think he's flown under the radar most nights because Martin has played so well and people focus on him more. But Orpik hasn't been as physical as he once was, I see Engelland doing more of that stuff that Orpik used to do than Brooks does these days.

I like Orpik and I think all of us do, it's why most don't want to think about him being replaceable this soon or at all. I thought he'd retire a Penguin, but things change.
Don't you think he'll take his physicality up a notch in the playoffs though?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
The only guy I'd want from the Canucks is Jensen. The rest of that team, either costs too much or not even remotely worth it.

And no, do not want Booth. Hell no, even Raymond.