HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 AM
  #76
Tirefire
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
The team from 06 - really? They caught lightning in a bottle and had Pronger, exactly the kind of player I have been saying we need, not a Smid. They were an 8th place team who never made another playoff after that. I grew up watching real heart and real talent and real mean sob's like Messier, Anderson, Hunter, McLelland, McSorely, Lumley, Linseman, etc. guys with passion, balls. Toughness, desire. The 06 team was rolling sevens over and over again, and they had Pronger. Not Smid. Or Petrell.

Tirefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
  #77
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Ill leave this here...

We all want to talk trades and fire coaches... But for those talking about needing personnel change, look at the 2009-2010 roster on hockeydb, out of the 40 players that played that season, over 75% of our roster has been overhauled in 2 years.

Yes, 7 skaters and 2 goalies remain from FOURTY!!!
While it is true that most of our roster has been overhauled, what we have to show for that after the overhaul is a lot of guys that came into this team via the Oilers drafting them.

Put another way, Tambellini has done a great job of cutting dead weight (and for that I'm happy), but he hasn't done much to replace it either than through our drafting/farm system. Now, of course that isn't an entirely bad thing, and I'm happy that we have some good guys like Petry, Hartikainen, Eberle, etc. that have been bred in our system, but I don't think we've picked up those complementary players that a successful team really needs. That's where Tambellini has failed for me.

I don't think it's our top six guys that are an issue here, I think it's the fact that we've surrounded them with marginal NHLers. As I said earlier, we need more Ryan Jones type guys in that bottom six, and less Ben Eager / Chris Vande Velde types that exist out there only to kill time while our top lines rest up.

There are guys here that keep preaching patience like management has, but really, we've waited a damn long time as is and we're wasting good years with our star talent on developing guys in the NHL rather than in the AHL/juniors where they should be. I'm not talking about Eberle, Hall, Nuge, but rather the Vande Velde / Paajarvi / Landers / etc. that come in when our thin bottom six gets an injury or two. It's also OK to have one guy like Petrell around because he's a superb PKer, but you don't want to many of those types of guys that can't generate much offense. We have a bottom six full of them.


Last edited by alexo: 03-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:28 AM
  #78
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,078
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
The team from 06 - really? They caught lightning in a bottle and had Pronger, exactly the kind of player I have been saying we need, not a Smid. They were an 8th place team who never made another playoff after that. I grew up watching real heart and real talent and real mean sob's like Messier, Anderson, Hunter, McLelland, McSorely, Lumley, Linseman, etc. guys with passion, balls. Toughness, desire. The 06 team was rolling sevens over and over again, and they had Pronger. Not Smid. Or Petrell.
That team had no pure skill aside from Hemsky and Samsonov. It was all heart, all grind, hardwork. Pronger helped but it wasn't just him if that's what you're getting at.

They didn't catch lightning in a bottle. They acquired a real goaltender and became what everyone expected them to be at the start of the season if they had a goalie.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:39 AM
  #79
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
I think that team also played a TIGHT team defense, thanks to guys like Mike Peca, Fernando (also didn't hurt that he lit it up like John Druce style.. ), Jarret Stoll, etc. on forward, plus the glorious Pronger and Gator (man I miss him) and even Spacek on blue.

It was a very hard working team, I agree.

I thought our team defense was what made the goaltending tick, not so much Roloson (not saying he wasn't good though.. he worked very well with the type of defense MacT had the team playing). Markkanen still looked quite good in net behind that strong team defense. They collapsed around the net and allowed our goaltenders to make that initial save without seeing rebounds banged in. Roli always made that initial save look easy, but sometimes he'd be making me incredibly nervous with his positioning for the rebound shot.

Surprisingly enough though, a defensive game is one of few things this year's team has going for it right now though (although I think Dubnyk and Khabi have been a big help in that regard). It doesn't make sense for anyone to be too critical of it when we've generally been middle of the pack or better as far as goals against. It's our inability to score that is killing us.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:50 AM
  #80
Gamefreak
Bee.
 
Gamefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
blah blah blah NewAge Hockey System blah blah blah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyIuEbQ5O2A

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:52 AM
  #81
Real_Estate-Agent
Registered User
 
Real_Estate-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Being an annual bottom feeder like the Islanders is one thing... what we're approaching is historic. A loss to the Jackets puts us only 2 points up on last in the league.

Picture this... 30th, 30th, 29th, 30th...
The Oilers have made the playoffs only twice over the past 10 years; the only constant is Kevin Lowe...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:57 AM
  #82
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
I'm in the same boat as those who want Brian Burke. As much as people hate on him, he's a good GM and he has the balls to pull the trigger on a deal. Burke isn't an idiot where he would give up one of the big 5. He would however make trades that will help this team. He brought in Pronger in Anaheim and traded away scraps for Phaneuf. Only things he did bad was make that Kessel trade and that Tim Connolly signing and even then, the Connolly signing was short term. I don't blame him for the Komisarek signing because the guy was having a great year in Montreal and it wasn't like he was old or anything. Seriously, Brian Burke is the type of GM that can get this team to the next level. Tambellini can't and I was one of the few that defended him because his patience was key to our rebuild. Katz needs to wake up and fire lowe, fire tambellini, fire MacT while you're at it and bring in a GM like Burke. Btw, I know we should give Krueger some more time but I would be in favor of firing him and bringing in Lindy Ruff but other than that I would give Krueger more time.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:04 AM
  #83
oilphan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Duo 934 View Post
I'm in the same boat as those who want Brian Burke. As much as people hate on him, he's a good GM and he has the balls to pull the trigger on a deal. Burke isn't an idiot where he would give up one of the big 5. He would however make trades that will help this team. He brought in Pronger in Anaheim and traded away scraps for Phaneuf. Only things he did bad was make that Kessel trade and that Tim Connolly signing and even then, the Connolly signing was short term. I don't blame him for the Komisarek signing because the guy was having a great year in Montreal and it wasn't like he was old or anything. Seriously, Brian Burke is the type of GM that can get this team to the next level. Tambellini can't and I was one of the few that defended him because his patience was key to our rebuild. Katz needs to wake up and fire lowe, fire tambellini, fire MacT while you're at it and bring in a GM like Burke. Btw, I know we should give Krueger some more time but I would be in favor of firing him and bringing in Lindy Ruff but other than that I would give Krueger more time.
Problem is that if Tambo gets fired, the job goes to MacT. I don't think there is any chance of someone from the outside being brought in.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:29 AM
  #84
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
The Oilers have made the playoffs only twice over the past 10 years; the only constant is Kevin Lowe...
I remember Cloned put out a theory a while back saying he thought Tambo would be replaced by Lowe as GM, and this is why I disagree with his theory. Because when the fans come out with the pitchforks and torches, they call Krueger and Tambo, never Lowe. Lowe has it made in his current position. It's a relatively new title in the NHL, and no one here quite knows what it involves. I think we can assume much of job involves GM duties, and we have heard Tambo say a few times that he's gone to Lowe (for permission?) before making some of his bigger decisions. Some people here even think Tambo is just a puppet and Lowe is really pulling the strings. I must say I can't imagine why Lowe would ever want to be GM again. It sounds like he has all the power he wants but none of the public pressure that comes with running a hockey team. Frankly, he has it made.

EDIT: And to those of you who want Burke, I tell you he would turn down the job if they offered it to him. Burke would insist on having autonomy, and that doesn't exist with the GM job in EDM.


Last edited by Asher: 03-04-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
  #85
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
That team had no pure skill aside from Hemsky and Samsonov. It was all heart, all grind, hardwork. Pronger helped but it wasn't just him if that's what you're getting at.

They didn't catch lightning in a bottle. They acquired a real goaltender and became what everyone expected them to be at the start of the season if they had a goalie.
Roloson stood on his head for 3 series in a row and we had perhaps the best Dman in the game at that time. It's as simple as that. It was a fluke but the oiler managment like many other management teams refused to assess the team with a critical eye and then went chasing rainbows for the next 2 or 3 years.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  #86
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Problem is that if Tambo gets fired, the job goes to MacT. I don't think there is any chance of someone from the outside being brought in.
Agreed and that will be the day I burn eveything oiler that I have.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
  #87
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Not that this needs to be said again, but the level of incompetence in the Oilers front office is absolutely astounding.

What's worse - NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
  #88
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
EDIT: And to those of you who want Burke, I tell you he would turn down the job if they offered it to him. Burke would insist on having autonomy, and that doesn't exist with the GM job in EDM.
The best thing that could happen to the Oilers would be Burke rejecting a GM job here. Far overrated and no different than a Kevin Lowe.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
  #89
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Not that this needs to be said again, but the level of incompetence in the Oilers front office is absolutely astounding.

What's worse - NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.
That's not entirely true, some things will change. In a few short years you'll be able to watch the Oilers get ragdolled by every team in the league and finish 30th, all from the comfort of a brand new arena that a billionaire got for free from the taxpayers!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
  #90
Pennertration
Registered User
 
Pennertration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Most troubling thing from this team right now is that it doesn't seem to care. The effort level is so pathetic - and it seems to be all through the lineup.

If Lindy Ruff wasn't available, I wouldn't even bring up a coaching change - and I don't think Krueger has done enough to warrant being fired, but that is something to consider. Having said that, with the number of coaches we've gone through already, it seems pretty mad to make a coaching change.

So, if you don't get a new coach, it would seem that a trade is the way to go. I would not move any of the stars out yet (despite Eberle's play being highly troubling). I think you have to move Whitney and Khabi (when he's ready) first. Those guys are gonna be gone anyway, so you may as well get something for them. If they aren't enough to yield anything substantive, then I think you look at moving Hemsky. He's next in line to go out the door and he's playing well (I think he's meant a lot to the team, but moving forward, I think he'll be somewhat redundant and/or replaceable).

If that doesn't do anything, I have to wonder, are we asking too much of the kids? Not saying they shouldn't have added responsibilities this season - they should - but they are seeing an increase in minutes, playing against tougher D and some are wearing letters. They don't seem to be rising to the occasion. Seems like they need help AND they need to step it up somehow. Not sure if that's asking too much at this point.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
  #91
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
The best thing that could happen to the Oilers would be Burke rejecting a GM job here. Far overrated and no different than a Kevin Lowe.
I'm not a fan of Burke either, just trying to make the point that the only GM's the Oilers will ever hire are the ones that are willing to take orders from Lowe. I think it's entirely reasonable and predictable that MacT will be the next GM of the team. Lowe has the perfect job here -- all the power he wants, none of the public backlash when things go wrong.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:16 AM
  #92
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,246
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
We need to address toughness/size. That to me is our biggest weakness, surely it doesn't require a huge price?
Vancouver gave up Hodgson for Kassian.

Buffalo gave up Roy to get Ott.

JVR for Schenn.

Foligno for Methot

So while they are available the guys we need aren't exactly cheap to come by.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
  #93
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I'm not a fan of Burke either, just trying to make the point that the only GM's the Oilers will ever hire are the ones that are willing to take orders from Lowe. I think it's entirely reasonable and predictable that MacT will be the next GM of the team. Lowe has the perfect job here -- all the power he wants, none of the public backlash when things go wrong.
People like to speculate that Tambellini is a puppet with Lowe's hand up his butt, but really that's all it is, is speculation. From my best guess (based on what Tambo has said), he is the man in charge, but occasionally will ask a guy like Lowe for advice. Lowe has said he doesn't give Tambo advice unless he asks for it.

I understand that people have a big hate on for Lowe, but that seems a little implausible that Tambellini took on a job here where he is just the face of all the bad decisions other people on this team makes, like he just sits quietly waiting for orders.

Ideally if there is a GM change, both Tambellini and Lowe go. There are others that should go with them too. I think there's a lot of input coming from different directions, including from Tambellini. But I don't think he's anyone's puppet.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
  #94
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Tomorrow is a big game. They better blast out of the gates. If they have another game like last night, I don't know what's going to happen. Kruger needs an NHL defense-man bad. Think about it, he really only has 2 right now that have experience. That being Smid and Nick Schultz. Justin is still a rookie, Petry is at most a #5 on most teams and Whitney is having a tough go this year. There is no time in this short season to wait for guy to find their game.

Tambo, go out and get RK a NHL defense-man.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
  #95
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
People like to speculate that Tambellini is a puppet with Lowe's hand up his butt, but really that's all it is, is speculation. From my best guess (based on what Tambo has said), he is the man in charge, but occasionally will ask a guy like Lowe for advice. Lowe has said he doesn't give Tambo advice unless he asks for it.

I understand that people have a big hate on for Lowe, but that seems a little implausible that Tambellini took on a job here where he is just the face of all the bad decisions other people on this team makes, like he just sits quietly waiting for orders.

Ideally if there is a GM change, both Tambellini and Lowe go. There are others that should go with them too. I think there's a lot of input coming from different directions, including from Tambellini. But I don't think he's anyone's puppet.
Tambo is a more of a strings attached puppet rather than a sock puppet. There is a reason he took the Oilers job as they were the only team that would give me the GM title, and it came with conditions that he ask Lowe for advice before he made any decisions.
I wish Lowe and Tambo would be fired but I only see Tambo being replaced by MacT. The problem is that this team has always been an old boys club, very few have come in here without having some sort of connection to someone or the team previously.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  #96
MrBigglesworth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Why do we have to go through this every year? The team is in - or just coming out of - a full out rebuild. HOW are people shocked that we aren't doing well?

Fire Tambellini. Hire Burke. Katz is an idiot. Just, like, get better players and stuff.

Unreal.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
  #97
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Tambo is a more of a strings attached puppet rather than a sock puppet. There is a reason he took the Oilers job as they were the only team that would give me the GM title, and it came with conditions that he ask Lowe for advice before he made any decisions.
I wish Lowe and Tambo would be fired but I only see Tambo being replaced by MacT. The problem is that this team has always been an old boys club, very few have come in here without having some sort of connection to someone or the team previously.
I do agree that if Tambo is fired he'll likely be replaced by MacT and this OBC is ruining us. But I don't think Tambellini is quite what you say. The condition you mention is merely your own speculation. Lowe and Tambellini have both said that Lowe doesn't give him any advice unless he wants it. People need to stop giving Tambellini a free pass.. he's just as clueless as the rest of the people in upper management, and if we cut Lowe and leave Tambellini around, we still have a problem here.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  #98
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss
 
runeeres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
I do agree that if Tambo is fired he'll likely be replaced by MacT and this OBC is ruining us.
Well, MacT would be better than Tambo. Who knows more about being/building a winner? Certainly not Tambo.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
  #99
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,153
vCash: 408
Wow!! what do you know. Tambo makes a trade to address a 'can not be understated' need. Didn't know he had a pulse.

welcome back from your slumber, Steve. now, make two more deals before the trade deadline, and 2 or 3 more before next year's training camp and you might have a chance at competing. you are now only about 8 or 9 players away.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:40 PM
  #100
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Wow!! what do you know. Tambo makes a trade to address a 'can not be understated' need. Didn't know he had a pulse.

welcome back from your slumber, Steve. now, make two more deals before the trade deadline, and 2 or 3 more before next year's training camp and you might have a chance at competing. you are now only about 8 or 9 players away.
Yeah, today he shoulda done at least four more trades.

Tambo makes a trade, people ***** about it. Same people who wanted Tambo to do something.

Unreal.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.