HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Is the future as great as we make it out to be?

Old
03-03-2013, 10:20 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Well we're not as miserable as the Oiler fans on their board right now, so that's gotta mean something.
They're foaming at the mouth on their boards right now. Not a pretty sight. All that young talent and no results has got to be pretty infuriating.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
They're foaming at the mouth on their boards right now. Not a pretty sight. All that young talent and no results has got to be pretty infuriating.
Oilers PGT today
I hope we don't look anything like that in a few years. Seems like the strategy of picking 1st overalls alone isn't going to make you a good team in the short term.

I bet the Maclean staff could whip the young Oilers into a playoffs team quick.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Bet Schultz is regretting signing with them now. He'd get plenty of ice-time here and would actually get to win.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Bet Schultz is regretting signing with them now. He'd get plenty of ice-time here and would actually get to win.
Still want to see what type of player that kid pans out as. The Edmonton fans seem to talk about him like he is some fresh faced eighteen year old prospect. The guy is the same age as Karlsson, and despite obviously having decent skills offensive, it should be interesting to see how his defensive game develops.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Gil Gunderson

I really wanted to see Cowen-Schultz.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Our team has ended up being built from the net out. This is the way to build for the Cup.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci

Could be the best top 4 in the league in a couple of years. Anderson/Lehner/Bishop is also unmatched anywhere in the league right now, let alone in the future (obviously one will have to go, but for at least the next 3 years we will probably have the best goalie tandem in the league).

The forwards are obviously the most concerning, but when you look at this list:

Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Stone
Noesen
Prince
Pageau
Da Costa
Hoffman
Puempel
1st 2013

Then take into account the cap space we have, as well as potential trade targets because of the depth of our organization...this team might just have the brightest future of any in the league. At least in the top 5 out there -- even if the majority of those prospects don't pan out.

Nothing to worry about at all.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
barabr10
UM ya that;s right

Thankfully defense win championships. The sens are in a great spot right now and are set for the future, we have one of the best coaches in the league that actually adjusts his system to the teams strengths and actually takes into consideration his opponents playing style unlike coaches like Bylsma who run the same system over and over and never take into consideration their opponents.

People here tend to forget that trades do happen, we have 3 solid goalies who i believe will all succeed in the NHL, it does not matter who we trade as long as Murray gets a good value. Murray will trade or sign a top 6 player within the next year. Plus Turris and Spezza are solid centers, Turris was actually a PPG player (this season) before Spezza and Karlsson got injured (i believe he's been the most affected by their absence). Silverberg and Zibanejad are great players who will continue to develop their game and this NHL experience will be a positive. Michalek is solid unfortunately he seems like a player that can only play well when Spezza is in the line-up.

We are only missing 1 more player before our top 6 is solid, remember at the start of the season when we had a healthy line up we were averaging over 3 goals a game, once the players got injured Maclean changed our playing style to a more defensive system, did you guys honestly expect the team offence would continue producing, i sure as hell didn't. Our offence is fine when the team is healthy and Murray will improve it even more in the offseason.

Oh and our depth is unmatchable in the NHL. Depth players play a huge role in the playoffs and come in handy when injuries occur.

barabr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Puempel has been hurt a lot, but he still leads the Rangers in goal scoring. He's scoring at the highest rate of his career as well.

The assists thing is strange, but every other year he's put up about the same amount of goals & assists, this season is an outlier.

I'm not so sure that 9 assists is something to be disappointed over. It's definitely strange to see 29 G and 9A in someone's stats, but shtuff happens.

I'm surprised that anyone is writing Puempel off already. He could be the best of the bunch.

He's gotten in a few fights to and usually does okay in them. A 3rd line winger with a great scoring touch and heart is a good late 1st round draft pick.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:03 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

i feel that our forward prospects aren't boom/bust guys. stone, zibby, noesen, even silf are players that can play in the nhl even if they don't become consistent point producers. since the odds are that at least one of those guys becomes a solid top sixer, the other could run a scoring third line. there's no shame to having three scoring lines. if the scenario many of you are thinking of (they don't become first liners, just second liners or 2/3 tweeners) happens, that gives us great scoring depth. spezza can play with scrubs and produce, we could play turris with michalek to help them produce, throw in the prospects that become second liners on one of the top two lines, and put the 2/3 players and remaining second line prospects on a third scoring line.

basically, i see
1. prospects pan out very well, we have to move some to restock prospect pool/fill in another need

2. no legitimate 1st liners come out of our prospect pools, but we pretty much obtain two second lines.

second liner - spezza - doesn't matter
second liner - turris - second/third liner
second/third liner - second/third liner* - second/third liner
second/third liner - third liner** - fourth liner

*i most likely see zibby slotting in here. i project him to be second line quality, so he helps our scoring depth by making that line of top niner's a second second line
**smith as our fourth line center? *drools*

3. things don't go well at all.

hopefully i'm making sense in this post. i won't know until i wake up tomorrow. posting while tired is not usually a good idea

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:38 AM
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
i feel that our forward prospects aren't boom/bust guys. stone, zibby, noesen, even silf are players that can play in the nhl even if they don't become consistent point producers. since the odds are that at least one of those guys becomes a solid top sixer, the other could run a scoring third line. there's no shame to having three scoring lines. if the scenario many of you are thinking of (they don't become first liners, just second liners or 2/3 tweeners) happens, that gives us great scoring depth. spezza can play with scrubs and produce, we could play turris with michalek to help them produce, throw in the prospects that become second liners on one of the top two lines, and put the 2/3 players and remaining second line prospects on a third scoring line.

basically, i see
1. prospects pan out very well, we have to move some to restock prospect pool/fill in another need

2. no legitimate 1st liners come out of our prospect pools, but we pretty much obtain two second lines.

second liner - spezza - doesn't matter
second liner - turris - second/third liner
second/third liner - second/third liner* - second/third liner
second/third liner - third liner** - fourth liner

*i most likely see zibby slotting in here. i project him to be second line quality, so he helps our scoring depth by making that line of top niner's a second second line
**smith as our fourth line center? *drools*

3. things don't go well at all.

hopefully i'm making sense in this post. i won't know until i wake up tomorrow. posting while tired is not usually a good idea
Your post made sense to me at least, it's pretty much what I wanted to post myself.

Now replace a couple of the second liners from your line combos with big time free agents (we have the cap room, but do we have the money and can we attract them?) and suddenly we look very scary.

legit first-liner FA - Spezza - Michalek
legit second-liner FA - Turris - Silf
Regin/Hoff/Da Costa/Stone/etc. - Ziba - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - FA (Streit, please!)
Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba/BoroCop/Ceci/etc. for the third line

Mr Anderson
Lehner

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
We are set on defense and goaltending for the future

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - XXXXX

Anderson
Lehner
Bishop

Murray has done an excellent job building from the goal out, huge reason why we have been successful playing defensive hockey with our scorers out of the lineup. We should be looking to add to our forward group, need a few significant pieces to contend. Hopefully we look to overpay for a few top 6ers in FA, we have the capspace to do it.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:58 AM
sg58

I don't know if we're "set" on D, that's putting a lot of pressure on Ceci and Cowen to pan out exactly like we've hoped.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:11 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I don't know if we're "set" on D, that's putting a lot of pressure on Ceci and Cowen to pan out exactly like we've hoped.
Having Karlsson alone pretty much makes your team set on d. Even if the remaining 5 are just average nhlers. The fact that you have one of the best players in the game for many years solidifies the position.

As far as the original post, yes the sens are missing talent on the wings, but if that's the organizational weakness then we should be celebrating that.

Wingers are the easiest piece to add to a team by UVA or trade just by sheer numbers.

Goaltending - check
Defenseman - check
Centres - Assuming Turris rights the ship, check
Wingers - need patience with prospects (Silv, Stone, Prince etc.) and a top end scorer to play with Spezza ( Michalek is a nice piece, but not the answer)

How different would this team look with the addition of a top UFA winger next year. I hope Murray pulls a rabbit out of the hat and turns all that cap space into Corey Perry.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
Having Karlsson alone pretty much makes your team set on d. Even if the remaining 5 are just average nhlers. The fact that you have one of the best players in the game for many years solidifies the position.
Agreed that will always make it a good group, and we can put pretty much anyone with him and have a fantastic first pairing, but what stands out from recent cup winners is that the group 2-6 and beyond are really, really good on top of their Norris calibre guys. We will have to get lucky to get a great group like that from within.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Is the future bright? Imagine this team this year with all the injuries...except with Elliott in net and Clouston as the coach. This discussion would be extremely different and negative.

Things will change some more moving forward and all you can ask for is a team that has a chance to win it all. It's never a guarantee, but it looks like all the pieces are in place to compete and there are assets in the system which give multiple possibilities at improving either from within or by trade. I'm really happy and optimistic with how things are going, pretty sure anyone else in the know is of a similar opinion.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
OgieO

We're competitive with all these injuries.

Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen back next year.

Zibanezad, Weircioch & Silfverberg are gaining valuable experience. Each of them will look better with more experience (as the pace of the game slows for them) and with better players around them next year.

Goaltending looks like a strength.

Stone, Prince, Ceci, Da Costa all appear to be capable of being NHL players (how good is still a question)

We have tons of cap $ and a good young roster that won't deter free agents.

We have a great coaching staff who players love and seem to run a very successful system.

I look at it like this: last year we took the #1 seed to 7 games and that was a very close series. I don't think we were too far off of NJ, who were conference champs last year. We would have been a better team this year if not for injuries and we'll be even better next year.

Are we Cup favorites? No. Can we contend for the Cup next year? I think so, especially if we add another scoring forward that fits our style. Why? We showed last year that aour healthy lineup can score goals. This year we've shown that we can prevent them. Get our stars back and we are a very good team.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:02 AM
The Fuhr

Teams set up the middle
Spezza
Turris
Smith
O'Brien

On defense the biggest two pieces are in place
Karlsson - Cowen

Team is secure in net
Anderson, Bishop, Lehner

Team just needs top six wingers (which they already have a bunch of long term promising pieces) and solid 3-6 D (Already have some pieces for this too)

Michalek - Spezza - ??
Zibanezad - Turris - Silfverberg
Greening - Smith - Stone
Regin/Hoffman - O'Brien - Neil

Team needs a legit 30+ goal top line winger and would have a really solid forward group... young too

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - ??
Weircioch - ??

On the blueline it looks good... team could use a solid 20 minute a night two-way defenseman for the second pair and a solid vet for the bottom pair... both can be found in UFA... Ceci is developing too and could eventually take one of those vacancies long term.

Anderson
Bishop/Lehner

Elite goaltending

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 50
We're definitely improving. How good we'll be is still a huge question mark.

In 3 years we'll be without Alfie, Phillips, Gonchar, and one of our goalies. The kids right now are working hard and playing a good no-frills system, but the talent level of the prospects overall is...not all that great. It's hard to picture any of these kids as top 4 D or top 6 forward.

We are one of the better drafting teams, although expecting a high-end skill guy like Karlsson to drop into the teens again anytime in the near future probably won't happen. We'll definitely need outside help on the top 6.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
The Fuhr

Thinking about it tho... there is a lot of good right now and we should be adding finishing pieces to make the future now and take runs.

Spezza is 30 years old come June... how long does he have left as an elite number one center? 4-5 years?

when he is done that is a gigantic hole to fill... we have to win before Spezza gets to old...

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
sensageddon

A few years ago if people told me EK was going to be called the best player in the league I would have laughed in their face. I'm just hoping a few other players on the roster surprise me like EK.

I really don't see us getting any top 3 forward free agents like Perry or Ryan. The ducks are one of the better teams in the league so why would they let these guys walk away. We probably could get a top 6 forward. I don't know who else we could get.

If these are the guys we can get i think they are all either too old or not going anywhere or just not the elite forward everyone wants.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_...hl_2013_class/

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Thinking about it tho... there is a lot of good right now and we should be adding finishing pieces to make the future now and take runs.

Spezza is 30 years old come June... how long does he have left as an elite number one center? 4-5 years?

when he is done that is a gigantic hole to fill... we have to win before Spezza gets to old...
Agree. We should be looking to contend NEXT year. The rebuild is over. This year is a developing year and hopefully next year (with an additional scoring forward, hopefully) we should aim high.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
MoreGore

Is this team heading in the right direction....

Players with < 300 Games played: Karlsson and Turris
Players with < 200 Games played: Smith and Regin
Players with < 150 Games played: Greening and Condra
Players with < 100 Games played: Cowen and Daugavins
Players with < 65 Games played: O'Brien and Bishop
Players with < 30 Games played: Gryba, Wiercioch, Dz, Boro, Lenher, Silf, Zib, Benoit, Hoffman, Petersson, Stone

That makes 21 players in the system right now that have played in the NHL that have very little experience and should show continued progress (some more than others).

The base is rock solid. A few tweaks, trades signings and the team near the top of the NHL.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I'm not at all surprised that the Oilers are having another dissapointing season. I said it at the draft last yr when so many here were saying how great Yakupov would be & how great their team would be. They are simply too small up front & get pushed around & they are also weal on defence & in goal. They still have a ways to go to be a better team in the NHL.

Ottawa on the other hand have a lot of good players in Ottawa, in Bingo & in the system who bring complimentary roles & size to handle MHL players. While we all want a legitimate 30 goal scorer we may have one or more in the making in Silfverberg, Stone, Prince or Puemple or someone else who steps up. We have plenty of size so we won't get pushed around & we have toughness. We also have a Norris Trophy winner on defence, Wiercioch could develop into a decent top 4 offensive defenceman as could Ceci & plenty of defensive defencemen. Murray has lots of players & prospects to trade to improve any position on this team & we have great goaltending.

While losing Spezza through age at some point I don't think he will be as hard to replace. Turrris will be older & much better as will Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone & all of our other prospects with potential who will make up the difference. While his position may take a hit, the overall roster can & should make up for it. It will be interesting to see what Murray does at the trade deadline, at the draft & during the summer to improve this team. This team has a bright future.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Agree. We should be looking to contend NEXT year. The rebuild is over. This year is a developing year and hopefully next year (with an additional scoring forward, hopefully) we should aim high.
This offseason is the one to use to spring board the team to contender status. The window could be open for a good 3-4 years or as long as Spezza remains an elite player.

As has been mentioned we need a top 6 forward. Maybe two. I think we could do that without completely depleting the farm system as well, not having it completely drained once the window closes as it did in 08.

The cap space and prospect depth at every position will allow many avenues to go about addressing the need. Its helps that the cap comes down this offseason and will force a lot of teams to move salary. Could be a perfect storm for us to snatch a FA or a useful player that team can no longer afford.

Add Nashville to the list of teams that will have decisions to make on certain players. Hornqvist and Erat could be nice targets.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It all depends on whether our prospects live up to the expectations the fans have for them. Da Costa for example I don't see living up to expectations with Ottawa anyway but I could be wrong.
he's certainly not going to live up to anything by not getting an opportunity to play up here despite 4000 inuries, when all signs point to his style of play being exactly the kind of player we could use.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote