HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Opinions about M Koivu

Old
03-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Tuomaz

vCash: 500
It's also funny that many elite number 1 centers always had other very good center on the same team.(Z and Datsyuk, crosby and malkin , thornton and pavelski , giroux and briere, etc) Koivu have always been the sole threat in this team that is before this season.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Eple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
He's not a top line center. The hope was that Granlund would be able to take that spot eventually putting Koivu in the #2 spot. But that sure as hell isn't looking too promising anymore.
Give Granlund some time, he'll be fine. His minimum potential is that of a 2nd line center but I believe he has it in him to become a true #1 center in a few years. Wouldn't be too bad tor have 1a and 1b situation with Koivu and Granlund. I'm pissing honey thinking of that both as a Finnish national team and Minnesota Wild fan.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Koivu is not Crosby.
Koivu is not even Getzlaf.
But, Koivu is a good #1c.
Seriously, some of you people need to take a serious look at MOST teams in the league, and guess what, they don't have a better 1c.

He'd be an amazing 2c, but he is actually a 1c.
I concur. Good post.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

This topic again...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
This topic again...
You of all people should know. If it's an annoying / stupid topic...it'll get brought back up eventually.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Sportserie

Koivu certainly played like a first line center last night!

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
opinion: boss

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
ThatGuy22

Doesn't help that both Koivu and Parise are getting some tough puck luck and shooting below their career averages percentage wise. If they were at their career averages those two would have 2 or 3 more goals combined(and likely assists).

Also hurts that the PP has been absolutely dreadful. Not sure if its players or system, but its bound to get atleast a little bit better.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'd rather win games through even strength play than PP. but that's just me, after watching what success we've ever had in this franchise be based off special teams play attached to really poor even strength play.

edit: this is assuming we're focusing on problem areas, concentrating on one at a time instead of trying to fix everything at once.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'd rather win games through even strength play than PP. but that's just me
This is how I'd prefer it myself, but honestly as long as they continue to win I don't care how they do it.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'd rather win games through even strength play than PP. but that's just me, after watching what success we've ever had in this franchise be based off special teams play attached to really poor even strength play.

edit: this is assuming we're focusing on problem areas, concentrating on one at a time instead of trying to fix everything at once.
PP is an integral part of success, you don't need to necessarily score on the PP but you need to use it to generate momentum... this has been the Wilds problem, they usually fumble so bad on the PP that it kills momentum. Tho things seem to be turning in our favor our PP needs to start generating more chances and more momentum.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
PP is an integral part of success, you don't need to necessarily score on the PP but you need to use it to generate momentum... this has been the Wilds problem, they usually fumble so bad on the PP that it kills momentum. Tho things seem to be turning in our favor our PP needs to start generating more chances and more momentum.

It is important. So is PK. ES is likely where a team will play most of it's minutes during the year and **** ES play will kill any momentum gained through a PP. How often have we watched the opposition come out and score within a minute or two after we score a goal? that's **** ES play, and why we needed to get it fixed first.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:09 AM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

If we had to pick between a good PP and a good PK I'm going with the PK every time.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
If we had to pick between a good PP and a good PK I'm going with the PK every time.
God, this. The Wild's PK has been pretty awesome, and REALLY getting momentum going.

Emilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The Wild are great on the pk, they've very much improved at es, the pp has been improving.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For the billionth time...

Koivu is top 20 in points per game among centers. He's one of the best defensive centers in the league and is very good on faceoffs. He is not a good goal scorer. Everything else about his game is definitely top line material.

Much better real life hockey player than fantasy hockey player. He won't be a good fantasy player because he'll never put up goals, he's not a natural shooter, has a good but not great shot, doesn't use it so much.

So many people here think that goals are everything. Goals, goals, goals. Gotta look past that.

Side note, I think Koivu's game has been much better the last two than it has been. Sometimes he looks flat or a little disengaged. He's been fired up very recently.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Centers I would take over Koivu:

Getzlaf
E. Staal
Toews
Datsyuk
Kopitar
Tavares
Spezza
Giroux
Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Stamkos
H. Sedin

Centers who I think he's about on par with:

Bergeron
Duchene
Benn
Richards
Kesler
Backstrom
Lecavalier
I'ld agree with that list for the most part. I'ld take Koivu over E. Staal myself, but other than that, those other 12 I would agree are a better 1c.

I will add however, Koivu is better on d than many of them, which does expand his value to some degree. For a true 1c though, I wouldn't mind a little more scoring.

What I don't get, is that he has it in him. He shows it from time to time, and he really does have the skill. It's almost as if he chooses to play the way he does, which he does of course, but I just don't understand why doesn't show that offensive skill more often.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
It's also funny that many elite number 1 centers always had other very good center on the same team.(Z and Datsyuk, crosby and malkin , thornton and pavelski , giroux and briere, etc) Koivu have always been the sole threat in this team that is before this season.
Are you going to tell me that if Malkin was not on the Pens, that Crosby would probably not have the same numbers he does?! Blasphemy

Oh wait, that would also mean that if we had, you know, a legit 2c, Cullen the Magnificent aside... Other teams would be forced to spread out their top line parings and would not be able to shut down our top line as easily? Stop making sense you fool! This is the HF boards where we only like to *****...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
What I don't get, is that he has it in him. He shows it from time to time, and he really does have the skill. It's almost as if he chooses to play the way he does, which he does of course, but I just don't understand why doesn't show that offensive skill more often.
I feel like he's been quoted in the past saying something along the lines that he will never cheat defensively to help raise his offensive point totals. Something he learned from his dad or something along those lines.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Koivu is top 20 in points per game among centers. He's one of the best defensive centers in the league and is very good on faceoffs. He is not a good goal scorer. Everything else about his game is definitely top line material.
Yer Cake is a lie...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
DANOZ28

im happy koivu is on the team and i think mgmt chose to build the team around him. im disappointed he cant seem to manage to score 25G. nothing anybody says will change my mind about that stat.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:24 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
In terms of Centermen.

Koivu 1.52 PK time/ Game

RNH .24

Tavares .09

Brad Richards .12

Sedin .07

Malkin .02 also 45% on faceoffs. Becasue he is listed as a C, is he still a better C than Koivu. Player yes, pure C maybe not. 6 credited hits.

Factor in hits, faceoffs won, etc... There are alot more that just saying oh player X has more points so he must be better.

I do stand by overall Koivu is a top 10 centermen.

MN_Gopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:44 AM
skillhockey

Koivu is good example of prime work ethic. He just don't have that hockey iq and i guess never learned how to shoot. He's trying to improve his game year after year but you can see what's lacking. NHL level workhorse but nothing great.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
In terms of Centermen.

Koivu 1.52 PK time/ Game

RNH .24

Tavares .09

Brad Richards .12

Sedin .07

Malkin .02 also 45% on faceoffs. Becasue he is listed as a C, is he still a better C than Koivu. Player yes, pure C maybe not. 6 credited hits.

Factor in hits, faceoffs won, etc... There are alot more that just saying oh player X has more points so he must be better.

I do stand by overall Koivu is a top 10 centermen.
Please list your top 15.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Some of the top centermen in the league, like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, and others, average 5 minutes per night on the power play, and no time on the penalty kill. So they are going to get more goals/assists than a player like Mikko, even before you take into consideration their elite status. Don't believe me, go look it up on NHL.COM.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote