HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zolnierczyk suspended four games

Old
03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

vCash: 500
Three games too many.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Broad Street Elite

I said I was fine with 1-3. 4 seems a little high, but it was an illegal check in my eyes and one that simply did not need to happen. I love hard hits and Harry Z could have absolutely plastered Lundin without the launch.

The issue I have is the inconsistency. That same hit will occur several more times this season and I can promise several of them will be different suspension lengths (even removing the repeat offender potential).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Qyburn

I have to say that angle showed how bad it was unlike the other ones that were circulating last night. It was a pretty massive launch, and he really clobbered the **** out of his head. No wonder he got concussed.

Can't disagree with the suspension.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:32 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbvJeAAdPM

The first five seconds of this video explains how I feel about suspensions and penalties anymore. Mind as well make those calls count, eh?

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
BillDineen

Joke.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I have no problem with the suspension. I just don't understand the inconsistencies. Is there anyway there can be a suspension rubric? Like first clear targeting of the head 2 games, then 10, then whatever? I also think the problem is that if someone like Iginla did this, would he have gotten 4 games? Would he have been suspended at all? Would he have even gotten a 5 minute major? I think that's a bigger issue if your goal is to remove these hits from the game. Everyone needs to be suspended for them, not just 4th liners.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I have no problem with the suspension. I just don't understand the inconsistencies. Is there anyway there can be a suspension rubric? Like first clear targeting of the head 2 games, then 10, then whatever? I also think the problem is that if someone like Iginla did this, would he have gotten 4 games? Would he have been suspended at all? Would he have even gotten a 5 minute major? I think that's a bigger issue if your goal is to remove these hits from the game. Everyone needs to be suspended for them, not just 4th liners.
Kaleta's probably going to be the next 4th liner to get the book thrown at him. Consistency is my only problem really with this. It's hard to get a feel on what's a suspension and what's not now a days.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Harry Z gets suspended four games for so called leaving his feet but Alfie gets zilch for using his stick as a weapon? This is what the NHL has become. Philips is a big guy and can't handle himself?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Harry Z gets suspended four games for so called leaving his feet but Alfie gets zilch for using his stick as a weapon? This is what the NHL has become. Philips is a big guy and can't handle himself?
I think 5 and a game was sufficient for Alfredsson. The main board / Potvin exoneration of his action and blaming it all on Rinaldo was laughable.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
BringBackStevens

The hall, benn, and erskine plays were all worse. They were not hockey plays. This was at least a hockey play that went a little too far.

Shannahan is awful, just as bad as campbell

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:06 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Can't really argue with this one. Clearly left hit feet and the head was the focal point of the hit. If he would have kept his feet planted he could have destroyed him with a legal hit which is what makes this bad. There are some hits where the guys head is in a spot where you can't avoid it but this could have been avoided and still been an awesome hit.

I say we sign Forsberg to a 4 game contract to play with Gags and Knuble again!

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Two would have been about right. But I am still pissed about James Neal's hits on Couturier and Giroux and what he received. Shanny let me down there. Keep your skates on the ice Harry and you will not get in any trouble. That was my only issue with the hit, but four is a bit much.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:39 PM
flyershockey

So let me get this straight, the Erskine elbow on Simmonds was deemed less dirty than this play? Give me a break. I don't even mind the suspension, but where the hell is the consistency that the league promised when they appointed Lord Shanahan as they end all be all for suspensions?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
The hall, benn, and erskine plays were all worse. They were not hockey plays. This was at least a hockey play that went a little too far.

Shannahan is awful, just as bad as campbell
The inconsistency is absolutely maddening. At this point it's hard to look at any given hit and have a good idea what the punishment will be...it ranged from nothing at all to 5 games, seemingly. They need to overhaul the system.

03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

At least with Campbell you knew nothing was suspension worthy. Shanny you don't even know where to draw the line with certain hits.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Harry Z is making Rinaldo look like an Archangel ......but definitely Shanascam is the devil incarnate. The inconsistency is a joke and it's ruining the integrity of the game b/c the disciplinary actions look like that of a kangaroo court.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I don't mind the 4, Alfredsson's situation not withstanding.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Kaleta got just 1 more .... reputation included
lol

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
SgtJoseph

Hate seeing this suspension nonsense in the NHL...........Bring back the 2 line pass rule and get rid of the 3rd man in rule during fights etc,,,,,,,Hockey was MUCH better when the PLAYERS enforced the games in my view.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Hate seeing this suspension nonsense in the NHL...........Bring back the 2 line pass rule and get rid of the 3rd man in rule during fights etc,,,,,,,Hockey was MUCH better when the PLAYERS enforced the games in my view.
I would disagree with the 2 line pass. We don't need less offense, scoring is already down to Dead Puck Era levelsa Adding two line passes back into the game would make that worse.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I would disagree with the 2 line pass. We don't need less offense, scoring is already down to Dead Puck Era levelsa Adding two line passes back into the game would make that worse.
Yeah I don't want the two line pass back. I think getting rid of the instigator rule would cut out some of this stuff going on though.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
flyershockey

Another thing being forgotten about the Harry Z suspension is that this is during a shortened season. During a regular season, 4 games would be somewhere between 7-8 games. Borderline hits should't see a guy suspended for nearly ten percent of the season. Shanny loves to swing the big dick against non-stars like Harry Z and Kaleta, but absolutely cowers to big name guys like we've seen with Alfredsson, Benn, and Neal.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:52 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
As a former goalie, less scoring never bothered me either as a player or a fan........Some of the greatest games i have ever seen were some low scoring games in the 70s where Parent was sizzling...Hard hitting and the true role of enforcers playing out in a game adds plenty of " excitement" to a low scoring hockey game.

Some of the greatest baseball games were low scoring games Carlton pitched back in his prime.The Phillies did not score many runs back during his 27 win season, but his pitching carried the day...

Old
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
As a former goalie, less scoring never bothered me either as a player or a fan........Some of the greatest games i have ever seen were some low scoring games in the 70s where Parent was sizzling...Hard hitting and the true role of enforcers playing out in a game adds plenty of " excitement" to a low scoring hockey game.

Some of the greatest baseball games were low scoring games Carlton pitched back in his prime.The Phillies did not score many runs back during his 27 win season, but his pitching carried the day...
It's more than just the raw number of goals - which I agree the lower they are the more valuable each one is. (I'll never understand basketball with its shot clock and illegal defense to maintain the pace of constant scoring - that pace is EXACTLY why I can't bother watching it). The quality of play also suffered with the 2LP rule. Slow and mired and muddled.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:04 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
It's more than just the raw number of goals - which I agree the lower they are the more valuable each one is. (I'll never understand basketball with its shot clock and illegal defense to maintain the pace of constant scoring - that pace is EXACTLY why I can't bother watching it). The quality of play also suffered with the 2LP rule. Slow and mired and muddled.
Respectfully i think the clutching and grabbing etc slowed and muddled the game more than the 2LP rule ?