HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think we should make an "I hate everything thread", except lift the 1000 post limit, because that would be too much work for Mods.
I hate this idea

Old
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotTheMovie View Post
you are 100% spot on with all of this.

I like Richards. I think he is a great player and great guy to help with the teams youth. Fact is he isnt producing right now. He isnt getting younger. His pay check will hurt us shortly. Unless he has a pretty instant turn around he isnt giving the Rangers much of a reason to keep him around. He should be traded while he still has value in the NHL. I doubt Torts will allow it but that is just this movies opinion.
With his albatross contract he has much less trade value than one would think. The Rangers might have to take on someone else's mistake in return.

I think it's much more likely that he'll be bought out as the second compliance buyout rather than traded.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
With his albatross contract he has much less trade value than one would think. The Rangers might have to take on someone else's mistake in return.

I think it's much more likely that he'll be bought out as the second compliance buyout rather than traded.
he's on the verge of a comeback, he just has slow season starts. nobody is going to turn this guy away. even if so, getting something for him is better than buying him out and getting nothing.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:

No, I think we'll have a trade partner, desperate enough for a 1C to absorb his contract. Look at Jay Feaster's comments on Richards, drooling at the thought that he was that close to getting him:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames surprised a lot of NHL observers by being one of the last teams standing in the Brad Richards sweepstakes on July 1.

But Flames general manager Jay Feaster believes that when a talent like Richards becomes available, you have to pounce.

"Elite, number-one line centres are tough to come by and certainly very, very difficult to acquire by way of trade," Feaster told Steve Kouleas on That's Hockey on Thursday. "Brad was somebody that, obviously, I knew very well from our time together in Tampa and it made a lot of sense."

The move didn't end up working out in Calgary's favour, with Richards signing to join the Rangers on Broadway, but going all-in to lure him to Calgary was all part of Feaster's new strategy for turning the troubled team around.

"I think that it would have been an incredibly dynamic line that we could have put together here in Calgary," he said.
Sather will trade Richards for Bartschi, Horak and a 1st this offseason.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hahaha.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:41 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
No, I think we'll have a trade partner, desperate enough for a 1C to absorb his contract. Look at Jay Feaster's comments on Richards, drooling at the thought that he was that close to getting him:

That would be quite awful, wouldn't it? Thankfully, it wouldn't happen, even in a nightmare.
Horak was always overrated by a lot of people on this board. Richards will improve and if he is traded, he will command a lot more than that.
Calgary's cupboard is bare, the price they pay for ignoring their job duties for years on end.Not much in Calgary that I would want.

Last edited by trilobyte: 03-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old
03-02-2013, 04:29 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
That would be quite awful, wouldn't it? Thankfully, it wouldn't happen, even in a nightmare.
Horak was always overrated by a lot of people on this board. Richards will improve and if he is traded, he will command a lot more than that.
Calgary's cupboard is bare, the price they pay for ignoring their job duties for years on end.Not much in Calgary that I would want.
Hmm this thread is loaded with almost unanimous support for buying him out for no return and you seem to be saying you wouldn't trade him for a good looking young player (Sven. Horaks ok) and high 1st?

Old
03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Dorado*

A pampered purveyor of fine wines and dining like Broadway Busting Brad would have no use for the cowboy chic and foul weather of Calgary . He's not trading restaurant row , penthouse apartments for the rodeo and 4 ft of snow

Old
03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

Quote:

I am not disagreeing with you in anyway... guess i am being a little hopeful.

Side note... hope he is ok. I know he skated after that hit but between shifts he had trainers doing all kids of work on him. That kind of hit can mess up your neck, back, shoulders, and head (concussion even if it is mild needs attention)

Also how good did our PP look until he got back on the ice. I don't think he should see any PP minutes for a game or two.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I can't believe how much his decision making and poise seems to have declined. He can still make a great play, but he rarely does now because of panic, poor decision making or a lack of poise. His legs really aren't there either, and he doesn't seem to want to fight for pucks, even when they're within two strides. It's a frustrating regression.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Hmm this thread is loaded with almost unanimous support for buying him out for no return and you seem to be saying you wouldn't trade him for a good looking young player (Sven. Horaks ok) and high 1st?
I believe that if he was to retire on Calgary, we'd still be saddled with a huge cap hit.

03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Let's assume the Rangers trade him before the 2014/15 season. Up until that point Rangers would have paid him $33 Million in actual salary while incurring a cumulative cap hit of $20 Million. Lets assume Richards retires after the 2016/17 season. He'd be 37, making only $1 Million a season. The Rangers would be forced to carry a cap penalty equal to the difference between those two numbers over the duration of the years left on his contract. That's $13 Million / 3, or $4.33 Million cap penalty per year for three years.

I think I'd rather just use the Rangers second compliance buyout on him than worry about all the possible cap penalty possibilities.

Last edited by Crease: 03-04-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I believe that if he was to retire on Calgary, we'd still be saddled with a huge cap hit.
No no I changed the rule just now! Makes a little more sense in that regard then. How much is huge? Half? 3.3 mil isn't that terrible I dont think if we're legitamately ggetting some good cheap, young players out of it

Old
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Let's assume the Rangers trade him before the 2014/15 season. Up until that point Rangers would have paid him $33 Million in actual salary while incurring a cumulative cap hit of $20 Million. Lets assume Richards retires after the 2016/17 season. He'd be 37, making only $1 Million a season. The Rangers would be forced to carry a cap penalty equal to the difference between those two numbers over the duration of the years left on his contract. That's $13 Million / 3, or $4.33 Million cap penalty per year for three years.

I think I'd rather just use the Rangers second compliance buyout on him than worry about all the possible cap penalty possibilities.
4.33...hmmm... But what if it's a 1st and Sven? Sven is cheap for at least another few years with the ELC and thatg high high first would do wonders. Both ELC's added to 4.33 still wouldn't likely be 6.6 mil. And it doesn't have to be Calgary. Just thinking out loud I have no prob with a buyout we do need the cap for resigning guys so it prob wouldn't work...then again he'd also have to retire immediately

Old
03-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

6 shots, noticeably less hesitant against ottawa. he was playing with a different mentality it seemed. i don't think he's where he was last season, but he's coming into form. thought he started to improve a little every game before the 'concussion'/sore back/neck/broken face

Old
03-09-2013, 12:28 PM
levski87

Alot of you are seriously under estimating and under valuing Richards skill. He's a number 1 center and clutch performer. Before the start of this season, he barely played any competitive hockey and it shows. He hasn't gone through a full camp and is only 20 games into this season. Give the guy a break. He's going to pick it up as he always does. We have no one to replace him at this point and will just end up downgrading our team if we trade him.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
dethomas07

he's a great player, but i think with his NMC it would be hard as hell to trade him.. plus i feel we paid over 30m in 3yrs of service (after 13'-14' season) and I think it would be great just to buy himout as a business move.. hes going to be on the decline towards year 5-9 and why not use one of our amnesty on him before we regret it.. Plus if stepan proves he can finish this year like this and go through the entire year next year playing this well... he can be our number 1c, miller is a great center as well and has potential to be a number 2 and at worst a number 3.. great FA's coming in 14'-16 we could certainly use the cap space moving forward for a younger stud player..

Old
03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
he's a great player, but i think with his NMC it would be hard as hell to trade him.. plus i feel we paid over 30m in 3yrs of service (after 13'-14' season) and I think it would be great just to buy himout as a business move.. hes going to be on the decline towards year 5-9 and why not use one of our amnesty on him before we regret it.. Plus if stepan proves he can finish this year like this and go through the entire year next year playing this well... he can be our number 1c, miller is a great center as well and has potential to be a number 2 and at worst a number 3.. great FA's coming in 14'-16 we could certainly use the cap space moving forward for a younger stud player..
If Richards is going to be removed from the team, its going to be a buyout.

If Richards is not producing at the point to have to be bought out, I would guess Torts will be fired.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Alot of you are seriously under estimating and under valuing Richards skill. He's a number 1 center and clutch performer. Before the start of this season, he barely played any competitive hockey and it shows. He hasn't gone through a full camp and is only 20 games into this season. Give the guy a break. He's going to pick it up as he always does. We have no one to replace him at this point and will just end up downgrading our team if we trade him.
The guy is an NHL veteran, one of the highest paid guys on the roster, and has been through a lockout before. There is no excuse for Richards to be that badly out of shape.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

If a team buys out a player, can he resign with the team?
Since Richards' contract is so frontloaded, the rangers can buy him out and resign him to better terms. Is it possible?

Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
If a team buys out a player, can he resign with the team?
Since Richards' contract is so frontloaded, the rangers can buy him out and resign him to better terms. Is it possible?
Nope, if a player is bought out, he can't join the team that bought him out for a year.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
yes it's possible, but only for after 1 calendar year after the buyout per the new CBA. I doubt Richards would still be on the market though. 29 other teams would love the guy as their top 6 playmaking center. ( Outside of Pittsburgh, San Jose, and Detroit).

Old
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Lundsanity30

2 goals in 2 games playing with Nash, shocker.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
2 goals in 2 games playing with Nash, shocker.
He needs a jumpstart!

Closed Thread