HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Look what Scott did to the Bruins collectively - Destroyed Thornton and puts him out. Upon returning does nothing. Lucic does nothing. Captain Chara? Not jumping in to take that fight. Bruins no longer push the Sabres around and are forced to play hockey. No bullying anymore. All Bruins on their best behavior.

Habs with no real heavyweight get run, players like Subban, Desharnais, Gallagher and Emelin all potentially could have been injured from cheapshots.

If we have a cop on the beat, this stuff doesn't occur as often as Scott demonstrated so effectively.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:58 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Look what Scott did to the Bruins collectively - Destroyed Thornton and puts him out. Upon returning does nothing. Lucic does nothing. Captain Chara? Not jumping in to take that fight. Bruins no longer push the Sabres around and are forced to play hockey. No bullying anymore. All Bruins on their best behavior.

Habs with no real heavyweight get run, players like Subban, Desharnais, Gallagher and Emelin all potentially could have been injured from cheapshots.

If we have a cop on the beat, this stuff doesn't occur as often as Scott demonstrated so effectively.
Exactly.

Chara didn't skate across the ice and beat up Scott the following game. When did he ever initiate a fight with someone of his own size?

Last edited by CN_paladin: 03-04-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 01:04 AM
DAChampion

About John Scott.

We do not just need an enforcer, we need somebody who can WIN a fight. Not Kostopoulos. Not Laraque. Not Moen.

who fits the bill?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:07 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Just when MT tried taming down White from putting his team in trouble, you want the most redneck enforcer ever?
i never said it'd be a good idea

Old
03-04-2013, 01:24 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Schultz, Tinordi. OK.

Eller. Never had a fight in the NHL.

But anyway, not the point of this thread.
Well he was trying to her a good return on Halak, the fact one fighter was included says something.

And I know it's not the point, and I do agree with you about the point that we need a heavy, but for accuracies sake, Gauthier left us a tougher team than he inherited.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:25 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
About John Scott.

We do not just need an enforcer, we need somebody who can WIN a fight. Not Kostopoulos. Not Laraque. Not Moen.

who fits the bill?
John Scott, Steve MacIntyre, Brian McGrattan and Patrick Bordelau all fit the bill but I'd rather have us get Jared Boll who's better at hockey.

Still anyone of them can't be more useless than Moen and Armstrong right now.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:29 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Get the Greek!

I was wishing, still am, that George Parros could somehow find his way into a Habs jersey

Old
03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Dharvey33

Boll would be nice, shame that Sestito was claimed before us he was the player we needed decent hockey player 6.5 that can drop the gloves against anybody.

I'd take Scott on the habs for sure or Bordeleau you play them one game out of 4 just so they can keep the other team honest.

Man it would feel good to have Bordeleau beat Thornton ass up and Lucic doing nothing about it.

The bruins never goon up against the leafs i wonder why, because they have better fighter then them that's why.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:37 AM
rockjngo

We don't need a heavyweight but we do need to get rid of armstrong, white for david clarkson and ryane clowe.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I bet you got a kick out watching Desharnais being thrown to the ice. What about Gallagher and his concussion getting thrown to the ice.

Subban? You like him getting smashed into the boards by Thornton? How about when Horton shoved him into the net.....luckily avoiding the post?

You like the pounding Emelin had to take tonight?

And what about a tough and effective winger having to fight Lucic and get pounded for having a lot of heart?

Did you love all of that?
Jesus, you must hate watching hockey games. OMG, players are hitting each other, why doesn't someone stop it?? Noooo, one just got THROWN TO THE ICE.

But please feel free to explain your theory of why having an enforcer sat on the bench would stop Lucic from fighting Prust. For extra credit reference and explain Lucic's fight against Prust last year when Mike Rupp and Stu Bickel were on the same NYR team as Prust and his fight against Prust in 2010 when Derek Boogard was sitting on the Rangers bench.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:52 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

When the players and coach both agree that Prust's fight energized the team I think it's getting harder to discredit the value of a fighter.

If you know that your teammate will go through hell for you, it makes it really hard not to feel obligated to try to play hard for him in return. Team concept and all that.

That said, I don't think Moen or Armdog are playing particularly poorly. They're on the 4th line for god's sake and they're playing like a shutdown line and are defensively fine - I can't think of a better 4th line we could possibly have.

The only roster spot I'd be willing to sacrifice for a tougher/meaner guy would be Bouillon's place and that's only if we get a Roman Polak/Douglas Murray type there. The occasional 5min major can easily be supplemented by playing Subban more.

If not, only Armdog seems replacable but even he is a good lockerroom guy.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak08 View Post
The Bruins lost because Chara sent a message to the Habs and the refs for a bad no call.
The message of course is that a moral victory is more important than 2 points to cavemen.

It was a selfish play by a player with no self control. Emelin will come out hitting the next time they play and if Chara wants to take himself out of the game again, that would be great.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:40 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak08 View Post
Your wrong about that. Chara has beat up some of the biggest players in the league and secondly is more useful on the ice then every other bruiser in the league. The Bruins lost because Chara sent a message to the Habs and the refs for a bad no call. Habs are infamous for diving and should be trained on how to fight fairly instead of diving like wimps. Even Seguin who i think is a cry baby rolls through penalties exept when he has a stick broke across his ribs.
Where I agree: Chara doesn't have to fight anybody.
Where I disagree: The Canadiens have to fight anybody.

Colby Armstrong could go ahead and turn Dougie Hamilton into a turnip with a stick to the throat and guess what? He doesn't have to fight. Brad Marchand put his stick on Prust when he was on the ice and guess what? Marchand doesn't have to fight! Isn't it amazing?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Chara was going to jump Emelin regardless. No one was going to stop that. He was gone for 17 minutes, we scored twice and won the game.
Unless the guy in question was on the ice. Chara took such a long time to get to Emelin that someone paying attention would have intercepted him... But to be on the ice, a player needs to be good enough to do so against the Bruins, not just any goon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I did. Because the team stuck to their game and won.

You also act as though this team is made of glass. This is a tough, resilient team. They can take a few licks.
As clearly proven over the last several years, a team can only take so many licks before wearing down. For every Mohamed Ali using that strategy, there are 100 others who will get knocked out.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
About John Scott.

who fits the bill?

One of these guys is not like the other...his career was based on winning his fights.

And yes Chara has selective leadership qualities, he's not too captain oh my captain when someone who knows how to fight is doing the abusing is he.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
One of these guys is not like the other...his career was based on winning his fights.

And yes Chara has selective leadership qualities, he's not too captain oh my captain when someone who knows how to fight is doing the abusing is he.
No kidding, he seriously needs to get a clue if he thinks Laraque didn't win his fights. Not to mention he is completely false about needing the heavyweight king, we need somebody to hold his own, to defend teammates when the time is needed an to create a spark when we need it. Patrick Bordeleau would do that job.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No kidding, he seriously needs to get a clue if he thinks Laraque didn't win his fights. Not to mention he is completely false about needing the heavyweight king, we need somebody to hold his own, to defend teammates when the time is needed an to create a spark when we need it. Patrick Bordeleau would do that job.
Bordeleau is the heavyweight king

Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Patrick Bordeleau would do that job.
Bordeleau would never be on the ice against Lucic and Chara if it's close. He'd be there as a deterrent if the score was out of hand. That I approve of. Also need Clowe in Ryder's spot.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Montreal Shadow

Prust needs some help out there...

He's one of the league leaders in fighting majors. He just took on Lucic yesterday night. He did fairly well, didn't get pummelled but clearly lost. We have to remember Prust is a middleweight fighter, he can't keep on taking heavyweights night-in and night-out. I know some of you guys don't like the idea but eventually, it'll take more than Prust alone to defend all the small guys like Gionta, Gallagher or Desharnais.

He's a real warrior but he too often fights out of his weight class. Worst part is that he's far more useful on the ice than in the penalty box. The guy forechecks like nobody's business and is excellent at creating space for the other more skilled players. I honestly don't like it when he's on the ice and the likes of Orr or Parros are hanging around, you know he's the only one who can even consider fighting these monsters.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
BobbyFischer*

Absolutely.. he needs help.

Where the F is Moen????

Old
03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Whatever happened to Andrew Conboy.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
yoteshot

Apparently (MAG), the Habs put in a claim for Tim Sestito when he was waived by the Flyers, but the Canucks had priority to claim him. I think he qualifies as a heavy-weight (and when who can take a regular shift too)

Old
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauditGreek View Post
I was wishing, still am, that George Parros could somehow find his way into a Habs jersey
Great idea, he would also help us attract Corey Perry this off season

All jokes aside, depending on want the Panthers want, i'd trade Moen for Parros

Old
03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Even if we had a bigger fighter Prust would've still had to fight Lucic because Lucic wouldn't fight a heavy weight fighter.

It would've been nice if we got Tom Sestito who can chip in with the odd goal and would fight almost anyone, Armstrong has been better lately but I'd rather have a heavyweight against Boston/Toronto to keep retards like Thornton/Lucic/Campbell from pulling ****.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Great idea, he would also help us attract Corey Perry this off season

All jokes aside, depending on want the Panthers want, i'd trade Moen for Parros
Parros is horrible this year..

Closed Thread