HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Emelin could lose an eye out of this fight though..
Then he shouldn't play hockey. Or wear a full cage all the time.

I'm a Habs fan and I have no sympathy for him. This is hockey, he's going to have to respond with fists sometimes. The rules shouldn't change because of him. Do you want our defenceman to lay off Crosby so he doesn't get another concussion?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I'm a Habs fan and I have no sympathy for him. This is hockey, he's going to have to respond with fists sometimes. The rules shouldn't change because of him. Do you want our defenceman to lay off Crosby so he doesn't get another concussion?
That's absolutely retarded.

Nobody is forced to fight in hockey. Players are forced to take on hits. Contacts in hockey are unavoidable. Fights are avoidable.

Furthermore, that little crosscheck did not warrant Chara skating from the red line all the way done to our zone, completely check someone who isn't looking and then throw some bombs while the guy is down and turtling.

Emelin doesn't have to throw the fists if he doesn't want to. Even if he crosschecks an opponent on one play. It wasn't a dirty move, it was a simple routine crosscheck that happens every freaking game.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

"playing hockey" shouldn't have to subject you to getting jumped from behind by some 240lbs gorilla with self image issues.

Egghead cries in the media that the Habs players dive yet they have the biggest candyass in the league in marchand, even his teammates hate him. Then last night Seguin goes down like he's been shot, I thought CSI would have to be called, then he is back out next shift flying.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:16 AM
dcyhabs

It's hockey not boxing... There is very much a place for physical players who don't fight.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Nobody is forced to fight in hockey. Players are forced to take on hits. Contacts in hockey are unavoidable. Fights are avoidable.

Furthermore, that little crosscheck did not warrant Chara skating from the red line all the way done to our zone, completely check someone who isn't looking and then throw some bombs while the guy is down and turtling.

Emelin doesn't have to throw the fists if he doesn't want to. Even if he crosschecks an opponent on one play. It wasn't a dirty move, it was a simple routine crosscheck that happens every freaking game.
That's the way hockey has been since the beginning. You play a certain way, you might have to respond. He wasn't forced to fight Chara, he could have turtled and waited for the refs if he wanted.

To be clear, I have no problem with what either Emelin or Chara did. But people shouldn't scream murder when Emelin crosses the line and receives retribution. I didn't see anyone cry when Souray came down the ice to pound Colby Armstrong after a clean hit on Saku. It was a legal hit, unlike a crosscheck, which is a clear penalty.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Emelin could lose an eye out of this fight though..
then he should be more judicious as to who he decides to cross check ( and for the record I was okay with the original play but can completely understand why chara would take offense)

It sucks for emelin, and I really sympathise with the guy who HAS to have stones the size of grapefruits. But we dont make up special rules for each player, if it appears that you are taking liberties with the other teams star players, you have to face the consequences. Having plates in your face is not a " get out of jail free" card.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Nobody is forced to fight in hockey. Players are forced to take on hits. Contacts in hockey are unavoidable. Fights are avoidable. .
Since when ? If you take liberties your right of refusal goes away. you cant run around sticking guys with impunity ( unless you are steve ott, perhaps we should have special rules for him as well as he is transparently lacking in, how should I say this, intestinal fortitude).

If a player like bergeron went up and say speared gionta or Gallager, ( I really think this is completely unlikely to happen) I dont care that he's small or hes had concussion problems, that spear means " my dance card is open" and the first guy there gets to go even if he tunes him up but good.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:37 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
It's hockey not boxing... There is very much a place for physical players who don't fight.
and there's a place for players who fight? What's the point ?

no one is advocating that chara jump gallager and gionta for no reason, everyone knows that's over the line. but if you play loose with the stick, you might have to pay the piper. Chara thought that Emelin was taking liberties with a star player and did what EVERY GOOD CAPTAIN in the NHL would have done.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
"playing hockey" shouldn't have to subject you to getting jumped from behind by some 240lbs gorilla with self image issues.

Egghead cries in the media that the Habs players dive yet they have the biggest candyass in the league in marchand, even his teammates hate him. Then last night Seguin goes down like he's been shot, I thought CSI would have to be called, then he is back out next shift flying.
So just to be clear, if it was thorton or lucic or mcquaid who went after emelin, you would be okay with it ?

It never fails to surprise me the extent of irrational hate people have for chara. What you are saying is that as a captain, if you perceive opponents taking liberties on teamates that he should not do what every good captain in the history of the game would have done because he's a 240 pound gorilla ?

just wondering, were you one of the fans bemoaning how unfair it was that white tuned up fleischmann after he ran Georges in the numbers ?

If you have any objectivity, what chara did was not at all surprising andd if the roles would have been reversed, everyone would be saying what a stud emelin is for standing up for his teamate.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
You. Are. Kidding. That was a tiny little cross check. And a dive.And every player in the NHL will know it tomorrow. Chara ****ed up.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Said this before and I'll say it again: Emelin should wear a cage all the time.

(When he's playing, not all the time.)

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
He can't. There's a rule.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

(When he's playing, not all the time.)
I lol'd at this

Emelin chose to drop'em and took the slight chance that he could land one or two before it rains. Balls of steel but a bit crazy IMHO. He should've patiently waited for the refs to pull Chara off his back and go with the big PP.
"Can't back it up", "Answer the bell", "Face the consequences"? Utter BS. Don't drop them, let the other guy take penalties. What's he gonna do? Whine? Take another bad penalty? Who's the man in the end?

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
sommervr

That was a hard cross-check to snap a stick with your hands that close together. He hit him in the center of mass so he didn't go flying but that was brutal. Totally deserved the response

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Lions999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
To be fair Emelin did choose to fight. After he was knocked down he came up swinging.
I actually think Emelin landed the best punch...

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
yep you can only wear a full sheild or cage if you have recent injury.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
the rules of the game that have existed for more than a century ?
If Emelin doesn't drop them, there's nothing Chara can do about it except piling up more penalties.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Emelin did fight Chara . I dont understand what's the problem.

If he can defend himself against Chara when he get jump , he can do it versus anyone.

I never saw. Emelin complain about his situation . I remember in a interview he sais that he can't fight because he have a metal plaque in his face but if someone try to fight him he's gonna stand for himself.

That's exactly what he did last night

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
yep you can only wear a full sheild or cage if you have recent injury.
Actually you just need a doctor to say that you need it. So if he really wanted to wear a cage full time I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to get a doctor to write a note.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:34 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
This is what I'm not sure of there seems to be conflicting info on when and for how long a player can wear a cage. There are cage-visor combos and I'm assuming kevlar has replaced steel. Anyway a puck to the face could also particularly hurt Emelin he should wear a cage or whatever because some lug is going to jump him with fists as we saw last night, and it's said the damage could be very serious such as loss of an eye due to the metal plates.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Actually you just need a doctor to say that you need it. So if he really wanted to wear a cage full time I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to get a doctor to write a note.
rule 9.6 says in response to injury and the opposition can contest whether a player should be allowed to wear a cage by protesting to Bettman. I dont know if anyone has ever done this, however.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Lions999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
That was a hard cross-check to snap a stick with your hands that close together. He hit him in the center of mass so he didn't go flying but that was brutal. Totally deserved the response
Those 300.00 sticks break so easy if you havent noticed.That crosscheck wasn`t that hard when you see the replay.That was good acting from Seguin, he hit him in those monster shoulder pads they have now,pretty sure Seguin didn`t feel anything.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:43 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
rule 9.6 says in response to injury and the opposition can contest whether a player should be allowed to wear a cage by protesting to Bettman. I dont know if anyone has ever done this, however.
Yup I had just dug that rule up myself, here.

A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury.
In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor. If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner.

It does not appear to put a time limit on how long a face-injured player can wear a cage.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Ledevin

Emelin doesn't need to fight often, nor should he. But what he did last night will earn him an ounce of respect from all his teammates and a few fans/players across the league. He was probably perceived as a dirty player who doesn't back it up. That fight will help people see him in a new light. Pronger didn't fight much, neither did Stevens, but there is a time when you take a stand for yourself even if it's once a year.

Ledevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledevin View Post
Emelin doesn't need to fight often, nor should he. r.
so a guy can literally poke the bear with a stick and then expect the bear to not respond ? in this case, do you blame the bear ?

No one wants emelin to be an enforcer, fighting puts him in a really bad situation. that being said, its not sufficient to exclude any situation where he would have to answer the bell, like he did last night. I'm glad no one got hurt, but I dont blame anyone for their actions.