HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Look at Toronto...

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 07:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
The team has evolved quite a bit and IMO the current team is more quick and skilled players than goons. It's some fans and a lot of the media still trying to portray them as the big bad flyers
Pretty much. The Flyers haven't really had a legit "bully" on the team since maybe Brashear (unless I am missing someone). They have a couple sandpaper guys, like most every team in the NHL. They had a guy who could be considered a heavyweight (Sestito). This team, nor any other recent team, has really tried to emulate the Broad Street Bullies style. I personally think a little more edge would be a good thing (I liked Sestito a lot). Not a full on team of enforcers but I think a line of Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo would have been good for a fourth line in my book. Won't really impress on the stat sheet, but with those three out there at once on a regular (4th line "regular") basis, teams I think would have trouble with the physicality. Add in guys like Simmonds and Hartnell on some of the top lines, Schenn and Grossmann on the back end, and you have a physical team that could create problems.

I know it is becoming unpopular in today's NHL, but having a tough team can make it difficult to play against. Again, not suggesting a full-on fighting team, but a little more edge could be a good thing.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
The team has evolved quite a bit and IMO the current team is more quick and skilled players than goons. It's some fans and a lot of the media still trying to portray them as the big bad flyers
I tend to agree, and then you see backlash like this thread or people complain we waived Sestito. I think it's a good thing if we move away from the tough Flyers image.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Flyers hockey is nothing but 40 years of failure.
Then why do you wear those colors?

People love the Flyers because of that edge.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
But seen against the Pens last year in the playoffs, Flyers still shine at playing old school Flyers hockey.

As for those who say Flyers have not won in a while playing with their classic style and that they should focus on skills, well in this day and age there's not one model really to look at and emulate and say "this is the winning formula". So if nobody has the ultimate solution, why not go to war with a great dose of physical intimidation? Hell the Flyers already have the past reputation to help them in that department, use it to your advantage and put the fear into your opponants.

The Bruins have done a stellar job at doing exactly that in recent years.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
rban*

Bruins are a gr8 example of the Philly model, as were the Ducks when they won the Cup. Toronto is NOT, and here is why:

It does no good to have skilled players and then brawlers skating with them, cuz the brawlers cant keep up. You need guys that have both skill and brawl at once.

Leafs, all their skill guys are weaklings and their tough guys cant play hockey. They're doing well now in a shortened season but they'll fall to earth soon.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Bruins are a gr8 example of the Philly model, as were the Ducks when they won the Cup. Toronto is NOT, and here is why:

It does no good to have skilled players and then brawlers skating with them, cuz the brawlers cant keep up. You need guys that have both skill and brawl at once.

Leafs, all their skill guys are weaklings and their tough guys cant play hockey. They're doing well now in a shortened season but they'll fall to earth soon.
Which "tough" skilled guy do the Flyers have besides Simmonds? Even then he's not a heavyweight if we're talking about throwing fists.

McLaren can play hockey, our 4th line has some good chances every game. Only reason why all of McLaren, Brown and Orr play the game right now is because Lupul (PPG last year) and Frattin are injured.

When they are back, Orr plays and McLaren and Brown are scratches.

You dont have to fight to be tough..all our skilled guys outside of Kessel are tough in absorbing and throwing hits. Kessel is okay because he can still put up PPG despite being soft so it doesn't matter.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
rban*

There are a few players that I coveted for the Flyers. Guys that fit the mode of tough with skill. Two came from Chicago's mini sell off after the Cup win.

Bufflin, I love him. Also, I think Troy Brouwer was a good one.

Instead we went for Versteeg, which didn't quite work out.

I drool over Buff, though. Can you imagine Buff on this team??

Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
LegionOfDoom91

This thread is nothing but laughs. I don't know why people keep posting in it.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
FlyingPhilly

I still don't understand the point of this thread. Why the hell would we want the Flyers to be like the Leafs? They haven't made the playoffs since before the previous lockout. Just because they are doing good now in a shortened season, they are a model the Flyers should follow?

This franchise has made the playoffs pretty much every season since 1993. Only thing missing is the hardware. As long as you get in, you have a chance. No need to model after a franchise that hasn't won the Cup since the Flyers were founded.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Psuhockey

I pity Toronto. They are in desperate need of a #1 center. This draft is loaded with them but they are doing well enough to miss out on one this year. You think winning the cup is hard without a #1 defensemen (only Carolina and Pittsburgh have since the lockout), try naming a team that's won without a #1 center.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I pity Toronto. They are in desperate need of a #1 center. This draft is loaded with them but they are doing well enough to miss out on one this year. You think winning the cup is hard without a #1 defensemen (only Carolina and Pittsburgh have since the lockout), try naming a team that's won without a #1 center.
Pitts had Gonchar

Old
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I still don't understand the point of this thread. Why the hell would we want the Flyers to be like the Leafs? They haven't made the playoffs since before the previous lockout. Just because they are doing good now in a shortened season, they are a model the Flyers should follow?

This franchise has made the playoffs pretty much every season since 1993. Only thing missing is the hardware. As long as you get in, you have a chance. No need to model after a franchise that hasn't won the Cup since the Flyers were founded.
The OP was talking about The Leafs this year and how their change in attitude going for a more gritty style made them shine.

The Leafs should never be used as model but maybe the Flyers should emulate that change in philosophy.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The OP was talking about The Leafs this year and how their change in attitude going for a more gritty style made them shine.

The Leafs should never be used as model but maybe the Flyers should emulate that change in philosophy.
They Flyers are already playing a pretty gritty style. Being 3rd in blocked shots and 2nd in hits helps indicate that.

03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

The Flyers should change their style and play more gritty? So, players like Hartnell, B.Schenn, L.Schenn, Simmonds, Giroux, and Grossmann aren't gritty? Ok, if you say so.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Which "tough" skilled guy do the Flyers have besides Simmonds? Even then he's not a heavyweight if we're talking about throwing fists.

Didn't say Flyers had one. Said the Leafs do not.

A large part of the Bruins success is based on big tough skilled forward Milan Lucic and big strong all star Dman Chara.

I talk of the Bruins only because I believe they are the team closest to the Broadway Bullies model. That model being Skill Plus Toughness, blended together in the same players.

The Bruins have some players who are skilled but not tough, but those players would be useless without Lucic and Chara.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

The Flyers aren't the toughest team in the league. That said they're no pushovers. I don't get the complaints in here honestly, it's not the 70's anymore. It's time to move on for some of you old timers.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
kicksave27

The last time the leafs made the playoffs they played gritty(dirty), had tucker and domi, plus a stud center in sundin. kinda sounds like the flyers model

Old
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
They had a coach that didn't play their type of game: Wilson.

Now they have a coach that plays their type of game: Carlyle.

Now look at Philadelphia...

We have a coach that doesn't play our type of game: Laviolette.

Now they need to get a coach that plays our type of game: Who ?????

1) Fire Laviolette, hire a coach like Carlyle.

2) Build a team like the current Bruins or Leafs.

3) Play Flyers hockey.
craig berube

Old
09-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Alright, I think that's enough zombie threads for tonight.

Closed Thread