HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
AcidJazz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
best thing you can do is pull your money from ASHL because once they have that they don't give a damn about you. that's the common story.
I wish I could, but they have the monopoly here.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Slats432

Reffing high divisions where guys still think they are going to "The Show".

Hey, just remember, you are worse than every player in every league in the world where guys get paid. And even ahead of you are Semi pro leagues. And every University player, and on and on.

So shut your mouth and play the game and go have a beer.

K, thanks.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:56 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

Hey, just remember, you are worse than every player in every league in the world where guys get paid. And even ahead of you are Semi pro leagues. And every University player, and on and on.

K, thanks.
Refs that think they can have a night off because were not high div hockey.

Slashing is still slashing guys. Don't tell me to cool it when my guy gets two-handed on the arms because it's C div hockey.

Ohh snap, turned that one around eh?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:

K, thanks.
The same can be said for refs. You are getting paid to ref not to be a judge. Grow up.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
goalie29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Refs that think they can have a night off because were not high div hockey.

Slashing is still slashing guys. Don't tell me to cool it when my guy gets two-handed on the arms because it's C div hockey.

Ohh snap, turned that one around eh?
Try being in a women's beginner league - we get that in triplicate.

As a goalie, you sometimes get a chance to chat with the refs, and some of the comments from them are truly stupid. "Whoa, you chicks play hard!" and such. And the laughing when it gets chippy, and absolutely no penalties...

The president of our league has tried for years to talk to the ref-in-chief and it has gotten marginally better.

In another league I play in, one guy a few weeks ago told me it was the first "girls" game he'd ever done, and spent a good 3 minutes at one point during play talking to a woman through a gap in the glass, and only came away when everyone stopped playing for an obvious icing.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:00 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:

K, thanks.
As a player I'm with you 100%. Ref's do their job and take all the unnecessary whining or drama. It seems like the teams take their pent up frustration from life out on our poor referees. The way people act in adult league is embarrassing. A lot never
played ice as a youth and just don't get the culture. You respect your opponents, the goalies, and the ref's!

Old
03-01-2013, 06:52 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Having trouble finding a C league team in Northern NJ is my biggest. I started playing ~2 years ago but picked it up much quicker than my friends and some of them are just starting to play right now so while I have a handful of kids that would be interested, not nearly enough to warrant a full team.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Ted Black

I hate working my ass off to get open and not getting passes. This happened to me all night last night. I'm one of the "better" players out there too, though there are a few who are WAY better than me as well. So it's not like I'm giving up the puck nonstop when I get passed to. I'm the type of guy that passes rather than shoots 90% of the time as well.

On the breakout, LOOK FOR THE FREAKIN WEAK SIDE ALREADY!!!!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Beezeral

Played in an adult league iron man tournament today. It was our last game and we were down by 2 with like 30 seconds left, so I left my net and camped out in front of the other goalie. Nothing really happens, we couldn't get the puck to the net, but the game finally ends and this 17 year old kid on the other team comes and cross checks me in the back. It didn't escalate further because I don't see the need to prove myself to some little **** who got upset I was trying to have some fun at the end of the game, but it just annoys me that some people treat every game like its game 7 of the finals.

This is supposed to be a fun game. Get over yourself.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:20 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
I hate working my ass off to get open and not getting passes. This happened to me all night last night. I'm one of the "better" players out there too, though there are a few who are WAY better than me as well. So it's not like I'm giving up the puck nonstop when I get passed to. I'm the type of guy that passes rather than shoots 90% of the time as well.

On the breakout, LOOK FOR THE FREAKIN WEAK SIDE ALREADY!!!!
I know that feeling all too well. I just communicate it as well as I can afterwards and move on, try not to get mad. It sucks when you get into those big fat pockets on the middle of the offensive zone and no one hits you with that pass, for no real good reason.

I've managed to explain passing triangles well to my friends who now use it often, because in our league opposing forwards backcheck poorly so there's no point forcing a backdoor pass. They're starting to understand where seams are, and if they see a teammate at the end of it to rip a hard pass. The goals are going to start coming in bunches this season.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
I know that feeling all too well. I just communicate it as well as I can afterwards and move on, try not to get mad. It sucks when you get into those big fat pockets on the middle of the offensive zone and no one hits you with that pass, for no real good reason.

I've managed to explain passing triangles well to my friends who now use it often, because in our league opposing forwards backcheck poorly so there's no point forcing a backdoor pass. They're starting to understand where seams are, and if they see a teammate at the end of it to rip a hard pass. The goals are going to start coming in bunches this season.
I'm not even talking about in the O zone so much. I'm talking, your D gets the puck in your D zone and there's a huge cluster**** of players over there. I'm playing wing and I'm on the weak side all alone. LOOK to the weak side and PASS. It's called a b r e a k o u t paaaasssssss!!!

It's a result of mostly players who don't know any better than to look straight ahead, coupled with a few who are just plain selfish and proceed to cough the puck up at the hashmarks/blueline. bleh

Old
03-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
Anybody else have that teammate that's always telling people about their screw ups and such but is the worst freaking player on the team?
No...

Old
03-03-2013, 03:34 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
I'm not even talking about in the O zone so much. I'm talking, your D gets the puck in your D zone and there's a huge cluster**** of players over there. I'm playing wing and I'm on the weak side all alone. LOOK to the weak side and PASS. It's called a b r e a k o u t paaaasssssss!!!

It's a result of mostly players who don't know any better than to look straight ahead, coupled with a few who are just plain selfish and proceed to cough the puck up at the hashmarks/blueline. bleh
believe me I know this feeling as well. Or when you play defense and your forwards run to the far blue-line like it's gonna be a hail mary play.

The only thing worse is people taking it personally when you try to fix that. I'm not trying to be a control freak, but cmon, a breakout needs to be understood!

Old
03-04-2013, 01:15 AM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

What irritates me the most: when players take selfish penalties out of frustration. It cuts into everyone else's ice time. And its always the same players who do it.

What irritates me the second most: when players bang their sticks on the ice/against the boards/glass when the game is well out of reach. Where was that intensity at the beginning of the game? At this point it just comes off as very juvenile. And...its always the same players who do it.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumber1Centre View Post
What irritates me the most: when players take selfish penalties out of frustration. It cuts into everyone else's ice time. And its always the same players who do it.

What irritates me the second most: when players bang their sticks on the ice/against the boards/glass when the game is well out of reach. Where was that intensity at the beginning of the game? At this point it just comes off as very juvenile. And...its always the same players who do it.
Haha this loser on one of my teams (who literally sits at center ice all game waiting for that hail-mary pass) got on a breakaway (go figure) and failed to score and after the whistle was blown he slammed his one-piece stick on the ice as hard as he could and completely snapped the blade off. As he came to the bench even MORE pissed than he was before I just laughed in his face blatantly because I hate him so much.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Having trouble finding a C league team in Northern NJ is my biggest. I started playing ~2 years ago but picked it up much quicker than my friends and some of them are just starting to play right now so while I have a handful of kids that would be interested, not nearly enough to warrant a full team.
Where are you going? The Ice House or Floyd?

Old
03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Ozz

Reading some of these stories you guys have makes me feel glad I'm with a close-knit group that is all for one/one for all. While we do have some disagreements here and there when things get rough (more like some people don't know how to dish out constructive criticism in the right direction and it in turn drives others nuts) we don't have to deal w/some of this other crazy stuff. That though is why I hate going to pickup games, because you end up w/a group of randoms that don't give a darn.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
christianbk

On a new team this season. Literally the second season I've ever played. First season I joined-up with a tight-knit group of guys who played pretty good hockey. They've said I've come a loooong way which I tend to agree.

This season I'm on a team that has now lost games 0-7 and 0-13. Granted: both teams we played are far and away the best teams in our league.

I'm not really mad about the score; I'm mad about two things:

1) My team lost their composure and just started hitting people after plays, which resulted in a lot of penalties. What does this do to me? It reduces MY ice time. And as someone who plays once a week and has just started playing (started middle of last year), the more I play, the better I get.

Then they were yucking it up in the locker room after the game like getting penalties and stuff WAS A GOOD THING. It's a no-contact league, bozos!

2) The other team - who were already borderline beer league (the lowest league at the rink), as they're super good - added a new dude on their team who is a huge dude who kept on skating around everyone. He also had a super hard slapper, which he choose to keep on demonstrating as the score got in the 10s.

Note to ice hockey rink managers who help organize leagues: having a team so incredibly good in the lowest league makes games not very fun for us that can't compete. Why did I sign up for the lowest skill league? So I could play against comparable players. It isn't fun when we put up a handful of shots and I barely ever touch the puck the whole game.

At least I got out there and skated hard for 1:30 and got off the ice... to then wait for the other two lines to take their 3+ minute shifts

Old
03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night the floater that's been on the team forever was calling for a pass and as usual he had his back turned and wasn't paying attention, pass went for icing. I think the center who gave him the pass was ready to kill. It was awesome. Just screaming on the bench, beating the crap out of the boards. Granted, it's not cool to lose it like that, but it's exactly what all of us have been thinking for six years.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:56 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I'm a goalie, and I'm not even having fun at my weekly pickup games anymore. I don't expect shutdown defense or players laying out to block shots, but players are willingly giving up on plays and just absolutely leaving me out to dry. It's pathetic and ruining the experience for me. I'm getting hammered in front whenever I give up the slightest rebound because no one will tie up sticks or get back after odd-man rushes. Players chase pucks like tee ball players and very few it seems remember basic d-zone schemes.

The most frustrating part is now players are, after whistles and goals, immediately throwing the puck down the ice to a streaking forward, usually while guys on the other team are going off on a change after the whistle. This means half the time, the game is a glorified track meet. Very little hockey actually takes place, just a series of odd man rushes. There's almost zero cycle game anymore, and players don't even try off the puck unless there's a chance of a breakout.

As a goalie, it's just obnoxious as hell to get consistently and totally hung out to dry. Again, I don't expect shutdown defense, pickup is generally very, very loose. But I've been playing hockey for almost 15 years and it's never been this bad.

Thinking about taking a break soon.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:10 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
I'm a goalie, and I'm not even having fun at my weekly pickup games anymore. I don't expect shutdown defense or players laying out to block shots, but players are willingly giving up on plays and just absolutely leaving me out to dry. It's pathetic and ruining the experience for me. I'm getting hammered in front whenever I give up the slightest rebound because no one will tie up sticks or get back after odd-man rushes. Players chase pucks like tee ball players and very few it seems remember basic d-zone schemes.

The most frustrating part is now players are, after whistles and goals, immediately throwing the puck down the ice to a streaking forward, usually while guys on the other team are going off on a change after the whistle. This means half the time, the game is a glorified track meet. Very little hockey actually takes place, just a series of odd man rushes. There's almost zero cycle game anymore, and players don't even try off the puck unless there's a chance of a breakout.

As a goalie, it's just obnoxious as hell to get consistently and totally hung out to dry. Again, I don't expect shutdown defense, pickup is generally very, very loose. But I've been playing hockey for almost 15 years and it's never been this bad.

Any leagues near you? I've got a great one I play in, and goalies play free. It's just once a week, but it's structured enough so that people care about the score and standings, and will backcheck/play defense.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:58 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah while I found a good group to play with for a bit last summer that's pretty close to my experience with drop in hockey. From the skater perspective the problem is with a short bench long shifts and no whistles guys start to get tanked and play turns sloppy. Usually the first 15-30 minutes will have a decent structure, but as people get tired play gets worse to the point that the only effort shown is on breakaways or odd man rushes from the better skaters.

When I took my first beginners power skating lessons, we'd scrimmage 4 on 4 at the end for the last 15 minutes. With 3 lines a side, the way the instructor made it work is he'd blow the whistle every 60 seconds and the guy with the punk would dump it and both sides would do a full line change. I imagine it would be really really tough to both organize and get the guys to buy in, but I bet that would be a much better way to do drop in.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
esidebill

I don't know if I'm just strange, but I dislike guys in pick up hockey who refuse to talk to you. Whether it be friendly conversation, about the game, whatever. They just stare into space, ignore you and that's that. I accept the fact they don't want to talk, but the seriousness just kills me.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I don't know if I'm just strange, but I dislike guys in pick up hockey who refuse to talk to you. Whether it be friendly conversation, about the game, whatever. They just stare into space, ignore you and that's that. I accept the fact they don't want to talk, but the seriousness just kills me.
Seriousness is fine by me, but the lack of any sort of talk or discussion (especially relating to the game!) is very off-putting. I played a couple pickup games with one guy who nearly never spoke, even with the people he'd known for years. That was very odd.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:

And this is why I stopped going to drop in as a goalie.

Much more satisfying to play for 3 league teams to soak up your time. I'll only jump into a drop in if I haven't played in 4+ days.

Closed Thread