HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 11:18 PM
  #876
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Beauty of a trade this is turning out to be. So many teams would kill to get a player like that in a trade for a mid level starting goalie.

We haven't had a center like him, in how many ****ing years ???????

Love this kid

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
  #877
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Beauty of a trade this is turning out to be. So many teams would kill to get a player like that in a trade for a mid level starting goalie.

We haven't had a center like him, in how many ****ing years ???????

Love this kid
Really fantastic trade.

One of Gauthier's best moves... we got as much or more for Halak than anybody else has gotten for a goalie in decades.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:32 AM
  #878
Respeck
Emmy BOOM
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,278
vCash: 500
Love how he wasn't backing down from that piece of **** McQuaid. Another great game by Lars and love that Therrien trusts him a lot more now and is using him in key situations.

Respeck is online now  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  #879
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 33,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Beauty of a trade this is turning out to be. So many teams would kill to get a player like that in a trade for a mid level starting goalie.

We haven't had a center like him, in how many ****ing years ???????

Love this kid
Our center position is starting to come into its own.
If DD can keep up his pace, and Eller keeps improving as he has, we have quite the depth.

Always believed in Eller right from the start. Never understood how anybody disliked this trade and thought Eller was nothing more than a 4th liner.

Guy is still just 23..

Kriss E is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
  #880
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Our center position is starting to come into its own.
If DD can keep up his pace, and Eller keeps improving as he has, we have quite the depth.

Always believed in Eller right from the start. Never understood how anybody disliked this trade and thought Eller was nothing more than a 4th liner.

Guy is still just 23..
That's because most of the fans only look at the stats...

MonkeyBusiness is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 07:23 AM
  #881
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Our center position is starting to come into its own.
If DD can keep up his pace, and Eller keeps improving as he has, we have quite the depth.

Always believed in Eller right from the start. Never understood how anybody disliked this trade and thought Eller was nothing more than a 4th liner.

Guy is still just 23..
He is a beaut and apparently he is a tough guy now according to some bruins fans, all because that son of a ***** has the gull to not be intimidated.

Perrah is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  #882
Lionel Mandrake
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I think Eller's the perfect 3rd line center down the line. Versatile enough to play a shutdown role and fill in the top-6 when needed. With Galchenyuk as the future #1, that leaves the #2 between Plekanec and Desharnais. I'm thinking keeping Desharnais might be a better idea as we could get a lot in a trade for Plekanec (not now though, in a year or two). Or we trade Desharnais for a lesser return.

 
Old
03-04-2013, 07:44 AM
  #883
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
I think Eller's the perfect 3rd line center down the line. Versatile enough to play a shutdown role and fill in the top-6 when needed. With Galchenyuk as the future #1, that leaves the #2 between Plekanec and Desharnais. I'm thinking keeping Desharnais might be a better idea as we could get a lot in a trade for Plekanec (not now though, in a year or two). Or we trade Desharnais for a lesser return.
You don't trade Plekanec because you have Desharnais. He's not well rounded enough. Either keep them and shift DD to wing if we want to fit them all in, or deal DD.

Ginu is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 07:47 AM
  #884
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Eller is looking god-damnnnnn good! Seriously.. he is looking like a legit former mid-1st round pick! Big, strong, nice passing.. smart plays.

So glad we didn't give up on him, he's only 23!

BobbyFischer* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
  #885
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,257
vCash: 500
Aaaaaaaaaaaand now every body see's what I've been seeing for the last couple (hundred) games. Feels good man.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:15 AM
  #886
Lionel Mandrake
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
You don't trade Plekanec because you have Desharnais. He's not well rounded enough. Either keep them and shift DD to wing if we want to fit them all in, or deal DD.
Desharnais is good enough for a 2nd line center role, nobody's going to convince me otherwise. I don't know what it'll take for our fans to stop underrating him. Is it the Napoleon complex again? Not every player on a team is going to be flawless. I'm not talking about building around Desharnais, I'm talking about a 15min 2nd line center. Not debating the fact Plekanec's better. He is. But: what's better? Plekanec at 5M to play on the 2nd line, or Desharnais at 3M with the addition of a top-6 winger/top-4 D acquired in a transaction for Plekanec?

Again, this is down the line, not right now obviously.

 
Old
03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
  #887
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Really fantastic trade.

One of Gauthier's best moves... we got as much or more for Halak than anybody else has gotten for a goalie in decades.
Not to mention each players contract situation. Halak being a RFA needed to be locked up, while Eller hadn't even a year burned on his ELC.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
  #888
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Eller really took his game to a new level this season and against the Bruins, it was fun to see him hold his ground. That said, he had an average game last night... don't you think?

Kjell Dahlin is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
  #889
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Eller really took his game to a new level this season and against the Bruins, it was fun to see him hold his ground. That said, he had an average game last night... don't you think?
His work ethic is insane, he gaine 10 pounds of muscle during the offseason. This kind of player is exactly what you need as a 2nd or 3rd line center to win a cup with.

MonkeyBusiness is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  #890
That Habs Fan
I miss PK
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,377
vCash: 500
looks like Therrien's scratching of Lars for a couple games has paid off

That Habs Fan is online now  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  #891
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 36,243
vCash: 256
Eller has been really impressive in the last 5+ games. Keep it up kid

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  #892
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
looks like Therrien's scratching of Lars for a couple games has paid off
Clearly, he's out to ruin him.
And then, he had the AUDACITY of making him play on the 4th line. Clearly, that was only meant to further grind him under his heel.



I want to know; I probably missed these events, but what did Eller did yesterday to annoy Boston fans that much? He seems to be part of the Top-6 Habs They Want To See Bashed (after Subban, Emelin (new arrival), Pacioretty and Gallagher).

PricePkPatch* is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:47 AM
  #893
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
looks like Therrien's scratching of Lars for a couple games has paid off
I knew someone would say this.

I disagree entirely. Lars is just progressing naturally from his previous two seasons. Did Therrien's benching also make him successful in Europe during the lockout where he led his team in PPG?

What paid off is Eller putting on mass. His game was always centred, even the last two years, on carrying the play through the neutral zone puck possession and board work. He finally now has the mass to consistently win board battles and set up plays along the wall where one aspect his game thrives (the cycling play and his ability to set up point men from the half wall with his shot). He's more successful this season because he finally has wingers to set up when carries the puck through the neutral zone on the rush, which is the second aspect of his game that he thrives at.

No surprise that Eller started putting up points the minute he started playing with quality wingers, which is what most of asked for going back to last season.

Also, Lars has always been a take no crap player, remember in his first season with Briere at the face-off dot? Also his first playoff season against Boston in his rookie year where he and DD looked good for rookies, both taking no crap?

It has less to do with Therrien and more to with the fact that he's only 23 playing in his third season (came into the league as a lanky 21 year old) and that not all players come into the league 100% ready. This latter fact is probably why people overlooked Eller's talent and are suddenly surprised at where he is currently at, while for others we see it as him progressing the way most of us expected.

Andy is online now  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
  #894
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Eller is a late bloomer, yes he's 23 and turning 24 but he took a huge step forward last year. He's pretty much an all 3 zone player right now. He reminds me of Tomas Plekanec with size. Being that said, I don't think Eller is offensive enough to be a #1 center, he may be a good #2 center or a very good #3 center.

At 6'3" 220lbs he has the size and speed to play a rough game. Its a matter of time he'll put everything together.

rockjngo is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
  #895
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 6,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Clearly, he's out to ruin him.
And then, he had the AUDACITY of making him play on the 4th line. Clearly, that was only meant to further grind him under his heel.



I want to know; I probably missed these events, but what did Eller did yesterday to annoy Boston fans that much? He seems to be part of the Top-6 Habs They Want To See Bashed (after Subban, Emelin (new arrival), Pacioretty and Gallagher).
He refused to drop the gloves.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #896
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
I like Eller more and more.

zzoo is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  #897
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,081
vCash: 500
He's so needed to this team... there's flashes of sundin in this guy

uiCk is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  #898
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,687
vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
He's so needed to this team... there's flashes of sundin in this guy
As in a tall Scandinavian with blond hair?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
  #899
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
Desharnais is good enough for a 2nd line center role, nobody's going to convince me otherwise. I don't know what it'll take for our fans to stop underrating him. Is it the Napoleon complex again? Not every player on a team is going to be flawless. I'm not talking about building around Desharnais, I'm talking about a 15min 2nd line center. Not debating the fact Plekanec's better. He is. But: what's better? Plekanec at 5M to play on the 2nd line, or Desharnais at 3M with the addition of a top-6 winger/top-4 D acquired in a transaction for Plekanec?

Again, this is down the line, not right now obviously.
He doesn't have the defensive game required to play center long-term. The only way he can match up given his size is being far superior defensively than his opponents are offensively. Otherwise we'll have to continue to shelter him. He's very good in the offensive zone but you have to be responsible in your own end as a center man. He's still earned a top 6 place for me though, just not at center.

Ginu is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  #900
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
He looks awesome so far...so strong on the puck...blasting shots. Being a boss. He's dished out so many crosschecks this year. Love it.

capebretoncanadien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.