HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Now when Sestito is away do you guys think we could need heavyweight in our system? Heavyweight who can skate and hit.
Heavyweights are a dying breed in the NHL. We do have Derek Mathers in the system though. He might get some calls up next year if needed.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I love seeing people call Sestito a "heavyweight". The guy wasn't a good fighter, AT ALL. The only fight I remember him winning was against Brian ****ing Boyle, which he still didn't impress me in. I liked him but with him gone we're not really missing much...

Old
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
I love seeing people call Sestito a "heavyweight". The guy wasn't a good fighter, AT ALL. The only fight I remember him winning was against Brian ****ing Boyle, which he still didn't impress me in. I liked him but with him gone we're not really missing much...
While I agree with you, he did fair pretty well against Lucic. Lucic won the fight but Tom made it close.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
I think the term heavyweight, at least I use it, has to do with the guys size. Rinaldo (5'8", 180) is not a heavyweight. Carcillo (5'11", 2020) was not a heavyweight. Riley Cote (6'2" 216) was a borderline heavyweight. Tom Sestito (6'5" 228) is a heavyweight. He wasn't the greatest fighter the Flyers ever saw, but he can throw them with anyone because of his size. I was a big Sestito fan and hope he does well out in Vancouver.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Now when Sestito is away do you guys think we could need heavyweight in our system? Heavyweight who can skate and hit.
Nope. There's still Shelley. We have also Derek Mathers in the juniors,
that's enough.

If we look for a stop-gap next season we can sign someone else. There are plenty.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Nope. There's still Shelley. We have also Derek Mathers in the juniors,
that's enough.

If we look for a stop-gap next season we can sign someone else. There are plenty.
I don't know what Parros's situation is in FLA, but that guy is ridiculous. I would love to see him in a Flyers jersey.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

Well on the positive side Simon Gagne only cost us a 4th(3rd if we make the playoffs). Mike Brown literally cost the Oilers the same exact price.

Parros has one more year down in Florida remaining on his contract at 937K.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:37 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm mean I love fighting in hockey but the goons are dying off slowly in this league. You don't need like 2-3 goons on your roster anymore.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know what Parros's situation is in FLA, but that guy is ridiculous. I would love to see him in a Flyers jersey.
Sure.

The mustache would look great in O&B.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well on the positive side Simon Gagne only cost us a 4th(3rd if we make the playoffs). Mike Brown literally cost the Oilers the same exact price.

Parros has one more year down in Florida remaining on his contract at 937K.
Pisses me off because Holmer could of got something for Chips, 6th rounder maybe.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

This is total not even speculation just kind of throwing it out there, but Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson is an RFA at the end of this year. He hasn't really done much during his short-lived career. Any interest in offersheet or trade for him? He's a pretty big winger who I still think has some upside at only 21 years old. Could be a nice fit on the second line. I'd be willing to go after him.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
This is total not even speculation just kind of throwing it out there, but Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson is an RFA at the end of this year. He hasn't really done much during his short-lived career. Any interest in offersheet or trade for him? He's a pretty big winger who I still think has some upside at only 21 years old. Could be a nice fit on the second line. I'd be willing to go after him.
Some Oiler fans will ask for the world in return for him. He's apparently getting better despite his first couple of seasons being really underwhelming.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Some Oiler fans will ask for the world in return for him. He's apparently getting better despite his first couple of seasons being really underwhelming.
I'm sure he would cost a lot. They aren't going to trade him for peanuts. I am not sure what they would be asking for and I'm not sure how high I would go, but I think he would look good on the wing of either Couturier or Schenn (and perhaps Giroux if he really improves to the player that he was supposed to be).

Old
03-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Yea, he's Swedish. He'll figure it out and be really good.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I'm sure he would cost a lot. They aren't going to trade him for peanuts. I am not sure what they would be asking for and I'm not sure how high I would go, but I think he would look good on the wing of either Couturier or Schenn (and perhaps Giroux if he really improves to the player that he was supposed to be).
I live in Oil country... and I can tell you, while he is 21 and has yet to figure it out. I don't think, with a proper centre he will do much more than he has done - reminds me of JVR with more speed, but I don't think he can produce like JVR.

He is a big and lanky, he could use that more but doesn't. IF and a big IF b/c he has been told what to do here to make him successful, he would be great on a 2nd/3rd line MAX.... He needs to have confidence in his speed and ability. Which I'm not sure he has at all. Maybe a change of scenery would be good. I like the kid but he lacks finish.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
PALE PWNR

He reminds me of Voracek, except he's been given even less of an oppurtunity then Voracek has

Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I live in Oil country... and I can tell you, while he is 21 and has yet to figure it out. I don't think, with a proper centre he will do much more than he has done - reminds me of JVR with more speed, but I don't think he can produce like JVR.

He is a big and lanky, he could use that more but doesn't. IF and a big IF b/c he has been told what to do here to make him successful, he would be great on a 2nd/3rd line MAX.... He needs to have confidence in his speed and ability. Which I'm not sure he has at all. Maybe a change of scenery would be good. I like the kid but he lacks finish.
I was all about this guy when was drafted, I thought he was going to be the second or third best forward taken in the draft behind Tavares and maybe Duchene. Clearly I was wrong, but I still think he could be a solid second liner, especially with a guy in the middle like Schenn or Couturier. I doubt it would happen though. The Oilers will probably want more than the Flyers are willing to give. I could see him getting dealt though.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:52 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
No, completely pointless. Doesn't fill a need at all.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I was all about this guy when was drafted, I thought he was going to be the second or third best forward taken in the draft behind Tavares and maybe Duchene. Clearly I was wrong, but I still think he could be a solid second liner, especially with a guy in the middle like Schenn or Couturier. I doubt it would happen though. The Oilers will probably want more than the Flyers are willing to give. I could see him getting dealt though.
He is playing on their 2nd line right now, with Gagner and Hemskey. He isn't the best back checker and takes comes nights off. Which has been his issue. If he used his frame the way the Oilers want him too he could be a menace to other teams D. Having said that, he hasn't put it together. While only being 21, give him 2 more years to see where he is at. He could be good but I don't think I'd expect him to be great. His Offensive capabilities are lack luster at best. Too fast for his own good, too soft for his own good and hands of stone - which I think he will turn around once confidence grows a little.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:47 AM
dookie88

I'd buy low on Paarjavi but a second probably doesn't do the trick for the Oilers.

What's your guys take on JayBo?

Old
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I'd buy low on Paarjavi but a second probably doesn't do the trick for the Oilers.

What's your guys take on JayBo?
He's a minute eater and would really help the Flyers but not worth Couturier if that is the cost. Also, when he was about to hit UFA, it was a poorly kept secret he wanted to play out west near his hometown, so might not want to play in Philly long term.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
No, completely pointless. Doesn't fill a need at all.
I'd have to disagree with you. At this point in his career he has not developed into the player everyone thought he would, but if he does ever develop, a big scoring winger is absolutely a need this team has to fill. Everyone complains about the lack of young guys with high ceilings in this organization. MPS is a young guy with a high ceiling. Yes, he has not reached it, but at 21 there is still time for him to get there. The kid put up good numbers in the low scoring SEL playing against grown men (29 points in 49 games), and put up 34 points in his first full NHL season. I don't know what has happened in the past two years and why he appears to have regressed, but there is still time for him to turn it around.

That being said, I think MPS would probably cost too much for the Flyers to go after. I wouldn't overpay for the guy because it is not a guarantee he ever reaches his potential.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:03 AM
dats81

If one can pry away a slow developing high ceiling prospect from another organization for picks (lower than first round), you do it. It's a low risk high reward situation.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
If one can pry away a slow developing high ceiling prospect from another organization for picks (lower than first round), you do it. It's a low risk high reward situation.
Yeah, I agree. The only problem is that I think the Oilers will probably want more than that. They hold all the cards. He is an RFA so they don't have to worry about him going anywhere. I think he stays put, but I was just putting it out there.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:19 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with you. At this point in his career he has not developed into the player everyone thought he would, but if he does ever develop, a big scoring winger is absolutely a need this team has to fill. Everyone complains about the lack of young guys with high ceilings in this organization. MPS is a young guy with a high ceiling. Yes, he has not reached it, but at 21 there is still time for him to get there. The kid put up good numbers in the low scoring SEL playing against grown men (29 points in 49 games), and put up 34 points in his first full NHL season. I don't know what has happened in the past two years and why he appears to have regressed, but there is still time for him to turn it around.

That being said, I think MPS would probably cost too much for the Flyers to go after. I wouldn't overpay for the guy because it is not a guarantee he ever reaches his potential.
Scoring winger with size? Like hartnell? How about simmonds? This team already has 4 top 6 wingers not including briere/schenn.

No, people don't complain about a lack of young talent. They complain about a lack of talent in the pipeline as prospects. Huge difference.

Also mps does not have a high ceiling. He has stone hands and no offensive creativity or killer instinct

Closed Thread