HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Poor sharpening or my skating?

Old
03-04-2013, 06:22 AM
w00t99

vCash: 500
Like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, having just experienced both, you want to find a shop where when you ask to have them sharpened they ask you some questions as well.

w00t99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumber1Centre View Post
In my experience, the guys who have shops inside actual arenas do the best job. If you go to a store, you might get someone who really knows what they're doing, or someone who's hardly had any training or simply doesn't care. I've seen both.
In your experiences that may be the case. But I can tell you they don't train the people in their any better than they train the ones at National Sports or Pro Hockey Life. It's all about the sharpener him or her self. Find a guy you like, get them sharpened by him or her only or someone they can vouch for too.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
BigNumber1Centre
MTLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
In your experiences that may be the case. But I can tell you they don't train the people in their any better than they train the ones at National Sports or Pro Hockey Life. It's all about the sharpener him or her self. Find a guy you like, get them sharpened by him or her only or someone they can vouch for too.
Fair enough, although in the arena shop in my home town it was only two guys who ran the shop, they both did a very good job, and you were sure that one of them was always going to be available. While there are sure to be many good sharpeners at stores such as the ones you mentioned (I work at PHL, we all receive quality training), the guys you like may not always be working on the day you go into the store.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Fair enough, although in the arena shop in my home town it was only two guys who ran the shop, they both did a very good job, and you were sure that one of them was always going to be available. While there are sure to be many good sharpeners at stores such as the ones you mentioned (I work at PHL, we all receive quality training), the guys you like may not always be working on the day you go into the store.
Oh dear, the horror stories that I've heard about a local PHL's pro shop would make you want to quit if you worked there. Well, my buddy used to work there and he quit because of that...

Anyways, you both make good points. Even a reputable place turns up the occasional poor sharpening; we're all human.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:21 PM
BigNumber1Centre
MTLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Oh dear, the horror stories that I've heard about a local PHL's pro shop would make you want to quit if you worked there. Well, my buddy used to work there and he quit because of that...

Anyways, you both make good points. Even a reputable place turns up the occasional poor sharpening; we're all human.
Yeah you definitely get some bad apples mixed in with the good ones. Thats why knowing what I know now, I'd be a bit more inclined to go to an arena shop rather than a pro shop.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I work at an arena pro shop. I do know what you're saying though, it all depends on the arena. There are some where it's just kids that receive the basic training and then there are some where it's the same guy every day who is a pro at this stuff.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote