HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Top 10 pick or playoffs

Old
03-02-2013, 04:57 PM
s1g

vCash: 500
I'd also like to add that being a young playoff team makes the Jets more attractive for free agents.

s1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
To add to my last post, I would really be upset if our team was run like the Flames. Sell the farm every year to try to squeak into the playoffs only to ruin the cap structure of the team and decimate the prospect pool. Dare I say, the exact opposite strategy of draft and develop. I thank my lucky stars that our management do not operate that way.
I think this is sensible. The question is not whether to "tank", but rather whether you should try to develop a team methodically over a few years to build a strong foundation.

So let's turn the logic of the OP around to ask the question another way: "Would you like Chevy to trade our 1st round pick this year to pick up an older veteran player or two who might push us into a low-seed playoff position this year?"

My opinion is that the Jets should continue to build a solid young foundation, and try to develop them into a very strong team that competes in the playoffs year after year. If that means keeping high draft picks and developing young players even if it might mean missing a playoff position, then I'm okay with that for a couple of seasons.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Regardless, I always want this team to win and be successful, but if it clear they are out of it, they have to manage the assets in a way that can help make the team better in the future. I mean, having an extra pick or two for expiring contacts could be the difference between having another Lowry in the system. Who wouldn't want that?

As for picking in the top 10, like others have said there is some gray area to that question. That said, making the playoffs and still nabbing a player like Gauthier, Erne or Mantha etc. will still be good for the organization. I'd much rather have a Drouin (would kill for him to be with the JETS) Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan than the previously mentioned, but if those previously mentioned players were to pan out it wouldn't cripple the organization. We'd still get ourselves a player and some playoff experience for the team.

I want to make the playoffs, but would hate to see an early exit due to our pathetic PP an PK. Enstrom will improve the PP when he returns, but will it be enough? I'd like to see Chevy make a couple small additions to help in this aspect if it looks as though we will make it in come deadline day.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Playoffs

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:58 PM
puck stoppa

I want to make the playoffs every year. But having said that, I see that we need a few more pieces to make us serious contenders. A top ten pick this year would go a long way for our future. But I personally wonder if guys like Wheeler will resign here if they don't see us being a winner so lets make the playoffs and do some damage ie: LA, CAR, etc, made the playoffs and weren't threats but won the cup.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Bob E

IF the Jets have a top 10 pick (say 7 to 10), who do guys want to pick?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
IF the Jets have a top 10 pick (say 7 to 10), who do guys want to pick?
If one of the top rated defensemen after Jones gets selected in the first 6 or some team is confident enough selecting Nichushkin in that range, it is entirely feasible that one of or even both Monahan and Lindholm are available at 7 and 8.

If that's the case, I go with either one of them.

If Jones is the only defenseman taken in the top 6 and teams selecting in that range are scared off by Nichushkin and the whole KHL thing, personally I go with Zadorov or Gauthier.

Some draft rankings have Gauthier as a centre, others have him as a lw/rw so he seems pretty versatile and is 6'5 210lbs already. Imagine pairing him with Lowry in the future. Two talented beasts who are tough to control.

You shouldn't draft for positional need, but if it's a center they're looking for, there really are no others I like in that range. You'd be looking at Wennberg, Domi Horvat, Lazar and Hartman. I like Lazar and Hartman but not in the top 10. Selecting them there would be a reach in my opinion.

As for Zadorov, I'm becoming more and more intrigued by this behemoth. Having him Bogosian and Trouba patrolling the blue line when the team moves to the West would be a good thing.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
If one of the top rated defensemen after Jones gets selected in the first 6 or some team is confident enough selecting Nichushkin in that range, it is entirely feasible that one of or even both Monahan and Lindholm are available at 7 and 8.

If that's the case, I go with either one of them.

If Jones is the only defenseman taken in the top 6 and teams selecting in that range are scared off by Nichushkin and the whole KHL thing, personally I go with Zadorov or Gauthier.

Some draft rankings have Gauthier as a centre, others have him as a lw/rw so he seems pretty versatile and is 6'5 210lbs already. Imagine pairing him with Lowry in the future. Two talented beasts who are tough to control.

You shouldn't draft for positional need, but if it's a center they're looking for, there really are no others I like in that range. You'd be looking at Wennberg, Domi Horvat, Lazar and Hartman. I like Lazar and Hartman but not in the top 10. Selecting them there would be a reach in my opinion.

As for Zadorov, I'm becoming more and more intrigued by this behemoth. Having him Bogosian and Trouba patrolling the blue line when the team moves to the West would be a good thing.
I agree, that the Jets should draft the "best player available", since it will usually be at least 2-3 years before a draft pick joins the team, and even longer before they are a "core" player. I've never seen him play, but does anyone here like Shinkaruk as a prospect?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I agree, that the Jets should draft the "best player available", since it will usually be at least 2-3 years before a draft pick joins the team, and even longer before they are a "core" player. I've never seen him play, but does anyone here like Shinkaruk as a prospect?
A guy from Brandon said the Jets scouts were at least. So that's something.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
A guy from Brandon said the Jets scouts were at least. So that's something.
Not sure I follow... What do you mean?

Old
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Not sure I follow... What do you mean?
Probably referring to this post from another thread from Joe

[QUOTE=Joe Hallenback;60499503]How many European players have the Jets drafted since coming back into the league? Zero.

After talking with some of the Jets scouting staff during the year when they are in Brandon I just can't see them drafting a Russian in the 1st round. I think they really like Shinkaruk for Medicine Hat out of the Dub and they also feel outside of Jones there are at least 6 top 2 Defensemen in the top 20 of the draft[/QUOTE]

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Phone typo yeah tht was the post I was referring to. Thanks.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Probably referring to this post from another thread from Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
How many European players have the Jets drafted since coming back into the league? Zero.

After talking with some of the Jets scouting staff during the year when they are in Brandon I just can't see them drafting a Russian in the 1st round. I think they really like Shinkaruk for Medicine Hat out of the Dub and they also feel outside of Jones there are at least 6 top 2 Defensemen in the top 20 of the draft
I just want the Jets to draft the best they can when its their time to pick. I don't care where the player is from. And as far as drafting no European players, maybe that's just the way it has worked out so far. I just don't want the current Jets pulling a Mike Smith and drafting 15 Russians nobody has ever heard of.

cbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote