HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Polar fibre design?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:24 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Polar fibre design?

http://www.basehockey.ca/the-natural/

Sounds and looks legit enough. What is polar fibre exactly though? And are there any other set-ups I don't know about? I know Warrior has the nipple grip, another one is those rubber coated grips(I hate those personally), and CCM's top of the line sticks have a ridgy feel.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:53 AM
ponder

BASE are full of ****, which is pretty common when it comes to stick marketing. Polar Fibre won't give you "unbelievable puck feel and increased durability," it's just a different type of grip coating. It's a sort of rough matte feel, almost like a fine sandpaper. It's nothing new either, Inno used to have this on some of their sticks back in the day. Some people like it, others don't, as with all types of grip it comes down to personal preference.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 AM
Fanned On It

Fun fact... one of the stick designers at BASE used to design for Warrior and personally designed Alex Kovalev's sticks. I think BASE might even be HIS company but I can't remember what Kovy told me.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
BASE are full of ****, which is pretty common when it comes to stick marketing. Polar Fibre won't give you "unbelievable puck feel and increased durability," it's just a different type of grip coating. It's a sort of rough matte feel, almost like a fine sandpaper. It's nothing new either, Inno used to have this on some of their sticks back in the day. Some people like it, others don't, as with all types of grip it comes down to personal preference.
Actually the sandpaper finish you're referring to is a totally different finish that they call sharkskin finish which is one of several finishes that are available on the Savoy Special. Polar fibre comes on the Natural and the SuperNatural and is a totally different finish. As far as feel goes some players would argue that it gives them a better feel and some would not. But it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
See to me this is a problem. If you're going to be the blue-collar competitive hockey brand, don't do the marketing BS and lies like the others do.

You have to come from the transparent and honest side. You won't cut into their market making up lies, that's the big brands niche.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's kind of a cross between cloth tape and tweed fabric. Hard to describe. It's textured and bumpy cloth like material.

If you don't like marketing, you're in the wrong sport. BASE is one of the less offensive brands for that IMO.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
See to me this is a problem. If you're going to be the blue-collar competitive hockey brand, don't do the marketing BS and lies like the others do.

You have to come from the transparent and honest side. You won't cut into their market making up lies, that's the big brands niche.
On what evidence are you basing those statements as being lies?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you don't like marketing, you're in the wrong sport. BASE is one of the less offensive brands for that IMO.
Nah I'm definitely in the right sport made that decision years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
On what evidence are you basing those statements as being lies?
I was being a bit too general when I said "lies". More specifically the half-truths, exagerations, and so on every companies uses. I'm probably just being a dreamer; but it'd be nice if even one company came out being transparent and more straightforward in their marketing approach, I'd probably be sold on their stick if the quality and pricepoints were there. I guess they can't compete with the big boys unless it's the from the "flashy and new" angle. Eh, oh well.

"The Natural heralds a new era in composite sticks. THE best feeling stick on the market today.

This is thanks to the revolutionary-"

Do you see where I'm coming from now? That's just the start of that page. I don't particularly care to pick on BASE anymore, since every brand makes those statements.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-04-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: formatting
Old
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is this about polar fibre or marketing in hockey sticks?

Old
03-04-2013, 04:28 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Is this about polar fibre or marketing in hockey sticks?
wow...

Closed Thread