HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Azkals

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
According to my calculations:

The NHL is beating the NBA in: Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto, Detroit, Washington, Minnesota.

The NBA is beating the NHL in: Miami, New York, Los Angeles, Colorado, Dallas, Poenix.

Too close to call: Carolina (can never find anything on them), Golden State/San Jose
That looks about right. The only iffy one is Minnesota because the TWolves beat the Wild last year, but I'm guessing the numbers are a heck of a lot different this season.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
10.3/17 for the Pens last night.
Is that for the Pittsburgh market and do you have a source? That's lower than there average so it is a bit disappointing.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Yes, for Pittsburgh

My source as always:
html.whoswatching.TV
(log in required)

Old
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
It still wouldn't matter. The NBA always dominates NHL ratings. The most recent time I can remember the NHL beating the NBA was in 07 when they had Phoenix/Sacramento during March Madness games. Heck, you could have a Stanley Cup Final game go against the NBA and there are certain NBA matchups that would get better/comparable ratings.
how can you say that?? last weeks PHI/PIT game on a wed night lost to ESPN's OKLA/HOU by only 200,000.. and NBCSN has only 80% of the households ESPN has. and that NBA game was a great game that ended 122-119.

Also, you say NHL can never beat NBA?? i bet if CHI at NYR played, or even CHI/BOS tomorrow on NBCSN and went up against IND/MIL on ESPN, the NHL game would win. so don't say NHL will never outdraw NBA. simply NOT TRUE.

oh and btw, i agree with the poster that said PIT/MTL was disappointing. pit averages over double digits this season and on a sat night in montreal barely get double digits. i expected 15.6 at least for this one.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 03-04-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: ot
Old
03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
CanadaIsHockey

St Louis Blues
Quote:
The Blues were averaging a 5.0 local rating on FS Midwest, which would mark the best in network history (though the Blues used to garner better ratings when their games aired on KPLR as recently as a few years ago). This is up 144 percent from the same point last season, and up big over the team's 3.5 average for all of last season.

Tampa Bay Lightning
Quote:
According to a team press release, the team is averaging a 2.0 rating in the market, up 60 percent over this point last year. The team is on pace for it's highest-rated season ever on SunSports. The past two Lightning seasons have averaged a .82 (2010-11) and a 1.39 (2011-12), respectively.

NHL on TSN got a big boost from Wednesday night's high-profile Leafs-Habs showdown + RDS numbers
Quote:
On TSN: the Canadiens win over Toronto drew 1.53 million viewers.
Quote:
893,000 viewers watched the game on French-language RDS, meaning just a bit over 2.4 million people in Canada were into it.
Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/4...ings-gains-too

Old
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR
Yesterday’s #Blackhawks vs #RedWings earned 1.6 o'night, NBC’s best reg-season ever 4 single game (non-regional, excluding Winter Classics)
Quote:
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR
Chicago market delivered 9.7 rating; market’s best-ever for NHL regular-season on NBC, excluding Winter Classics (since 2006)
https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR

Not bad at all

Old
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
Probably one of the reasons they view it as okay to having Chicago as the only big draw in the West....

Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
2mannings1cup

8.34 for the Bruins last night.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:25 PM
ebox99

is there an updated chart for all the local and national tv ratings to see how things change from year to year? would be good to compare to the NBA.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:46 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
is there an updated chart for all the local and national tv ratings to see how things change from year to year? would be good to compare to the NBA.
Let us know when you have it together. (IOW, I don't know anyone doing it.)

Old
03-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Probably one of the reasons they view it as okay to having Chicago as the only big draw in the West....
That game wouldn't have come anywhere close to a 1.6 without Detroit (or another major hockey market).

The west needs Detroit. The east doesn't.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
8.34 for the Bruins last night.

How would that compare to a NESN game? What do Celtic games do?

Yesterday had two really good games, Chi/Det and Habs/B's- as someone who isn't a fan of any of those teams I couldn't stop watching. We need more of this too many crappy games this year. Real rivalries!!

Old
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Swarez

Does anyone have ratings for Maple Leaf Games on "Leafs TV" I am curious what the drop off is vs. SN/TSN/CBC games.

Terrible production and large numbers of people don't have game.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Highest rated regular season game on NBC, huh?

Sounds like a great rivalry to break up...

Old
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian View Post
I wonder what the ratings would be if the game was on 3pm et - who wants to wake up at 9:30am to watch the game? Knicks/Heat did a 3.7.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez View Post
How would that compare to a NESN game? What do Celtic games do?

Yesterday had two really good games, Chi/Det and Habs/B's- as someone who isn't a fan of any of those teams I couldn't stop watching. We need more of this too many crappy games this year. Real rivalries!!
The Bruins are averaging a 7 on NESN and the Celtics are averaging a 3 on CSNNE.

Sources:
Celtics rating: http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou.../NBA-RSNs.aspx
Bruins rating: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2LXScFAQl

Old
03-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Highest rated regular season game on NBC, huh?

Sounds like a great rivalry to break up...
You have a great point, but new rivalries will hopefully be formed. (DET-TOR [isnt really new, but hasn't been relevant lately], DET-BOS, DET-PIT, etc.)

Old
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Habs-Bruins sets NBC Sports Network Sunday night record

Quote:
Sunday night's telecast of the Canadiens victory over the Bruins drew 813,000 viewers. The game was the most-watched Sunday night game in the network's history, the fifth-most watched NHL regular season game in the history of the network, the most-watched game featuring a Canadian team ever on the network, and the most-watched game featuring a Canadian team on cable in nearly 13 years.
Quote:
Boston drew a very healthy 9.26 rating for the game, making it the highest-rated NBCSN game ever in the market.
Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/5...k-sunday-night

Old
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
frivolousz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
how can you say that?? last weeks PHI/PIT game on a wed night lost to ESPN's OKLA/HOU by only 200,000.. and NBCSN has only 80% of the households ESPN has. and that NBA game was a great game that ended 122-119.

Also, you say NHL can never beat NBA?? i bet if CHI at NYR played, or even CHI/BOS tomorrow on NBCSN and went up against IND/MIL on ESPN, the NHL game would win. so don't say NHL will never outdraw NBA. simply NOT TRUE.

oh and btw, i agree with the poster that said PIT/MTL was disappointing. pit averages over double digits this season and on a sat night in montreal barely get double digits. i expected 15.6 at least for this one.

MOD

Ok vs Hou in the NBA is next to irrelevant nationally for an NBA game. So it's like Florida VS Phoenix which would do 200k at best on Nbcsn.

Pitt vs Philly is like Miami vs Bos.

The NBA and NHL at this point in America only compare well top 10 markets vs top 10.

If we throw out the top 6 or 6 of 8 NBA teams assuming they are matched up with the top Canadian NHL markets then the top 20 local NHL vs NBA teams are decently even.

Phoenix, Florida, Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, Anaheim, New Jersey, Carolina, and Tampa struggle winning or losing to get local ratings but its growing.

San Jose, Washington, LA are not much better off but growing too.

Then Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, Philly, Chicago, Boston pending success but less so than others are seeing massive growth at different times.

Detroit, NYR, Pitt are very successful.

Overall the NHL is on the largest Pro Sports grown curve naturally.
Soccer is but only because of immigrants not as much as natural growth from longer term generational Americans.

The NBA has one big advantage, roughly 1/3rd of their national audience is black. Another 1/5th is Latin.

Obviously the NHL fanbase is 99% white folk.

This isn't a racist comment but it may never change.

I remember last year a radio host talking about a blues sharks rating in the playoffs getting like a 11.6 or so. But like a 0.4 in black homes vs the rest white or other.

STL has 550k black people in the metro out of 2.5 mil or so.

I've known at least 50 black males in my life in various capacitys none watched hockey.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
You have a great point, but new rivalries will hopefully be formed. (DET-TOR [isnt really new, but hasn't been relevant lately], DET-BOS, DET-PIT, etc.)
Doubt any of those hit the rating Detroit/Chicago does. Boston and Pittsburgh are much smaller markets than Chicago. (Even Pittsburgh's monster local rating pales in comparison proportionally) Toronto is Canadian. While there's still draw, there's obviously no local market.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Then Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, Philly, Chicago, Boston pending success but less so than others are seeing massive growth at different times.

Detroit, NYR, Pitt are very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Obviously the NHL fanbase is 99% white folk.

This isn't a racist comment but it may never change.

I remember last year a radio host talking about a blues sharks rating in the playoffs getting like a 11.6 or so. But like a 0.4 in black homes vs the rest white or other.

STL has 550k black people in the metro out of 2.5 mil or so.

I've known at least 50 black males in my life in various capacitys none watched hockey.
I can agree with this but I think it's a problem that's going to slowly evaporate. I can't think of many (if any) star players 15 years ago who were black. Now you're looking at Kane and Subban. Simmonds is having an exceptional year himself, and Ward is doing decent. Little Subban looks promising and I believe I've heard one time or another than the youngest might be the best of the three.

Add that to the fact that one of the likely top three draftees this year is black.

Obviously it's an issue, but I think as you see more black players come into the league and the league promote those players, you'll see the black audience start to tune in. And for the record, I think the NHL should've promoted the crap out of Kane back when they were in Atlanta.

However, also take into account the fact that Detroit is very highly populated by black people and still does very well financially and in local ratings.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Tough Guy

Quote:
I can agree with this but I think it's a problem that's going to slowly evaporate. I can't think of many (if any) star players 15 years ago who were black. Now you're looking at Kane and Subban. Simmonds is having an exceptional year himself, and Ward is doing decent. Little Subban looks promising and I believe I've heard one time or another than the youngest might be the best of the three.

Add that to the fact that one of the likely top three draftees this year is black.

Obviously it's an issue, but I think as you see more black players come into the league and the league promote those players, you'll see the black audience start to tune in. And for the record, I think the NHL should've promoted the crap out of Kane back when they were in Atlanta.

However, also take into account the fact that Detroit is very highly populated by black people and still does very well financially and in local ratings.
Regarding the race issue, remember that nationally african-americans only account for 13% of the population. That number has remained consistent for generations. Logically, race *should* be a much bigger problem for the NBA than the NHL.

The group that the NHL needs to go after is latinos. They have already surpassed african-americans as the largest "minority" and their numbers continue to skyrocket. They are also a group that can, theoretically, do very well in hockey.

One last point; in Canada it is quite common for black guys to follow hockey, at least casually. Hockey fans are nowhere near "99%" white in places like Toronto and Vancouver, that's for sure. Immigrants don't follow it at all (or rarely do), but those born in Canada are just as likely to be huge fans as white guys are. Some of the biggest hockey fans I know in Toronto are Indian (as in from India) Arab, Chinese, etc.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:47 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Doubt any of those hit the rating Detroit/Chicago does. Boston and Pittsburgh are much smaller markets than Chicago. (Even Pittsburgh's monster local rating pales in comparison proportionally) Toronto is Canadian. While there's still draw, there's obviously no local market.
Here's a question tho... of the 6 Chi-Det matchups/yr, how many are nationally broadcast?

In the new schedule, they will meet twice/yr, so they could go national with both and not miss a beat... unless NBC is presentlt doing 3-4 outta the 6 games already... but i don't think they are..

Old
03-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Nicky Santoro

it seems like we only get the same local tv ratings all the time. PIT, BOS, CHI, etc.... but what about other teams that we never see like CLB,CAR,NASH, LAK... i'd love to see those.. especially LAK. i'd love to see how the kings are faring in L.A after the cup. are they getting 3.2, or 2.0, or 1.3, or are they just as bad as prev yrs at 0.5???

I'd love to know how much they got 2 days ago when no sports were on at all.. and it was only game going on and Jeff Carter exploded with the hat trick.. or even yesterday when they came back late from 4-1 to win 6-4.. and the comeback started when Lakers game ended. If lakers are averaging just over 4 rating, if the kings are getting half of that 2+, it'd be awesome.. i really wish LA is tuning in to the kings cause they are really fun this yr with their late comebacks....but i doubt anyone there cares in LA.

but pls, if you know the local LA rating this yr, can you pls post it? or if anyone knows where to find it.. i can't find it anywhere. i don't know why it's so hard to get that in this day and age.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Here's a question tho... of the 6 Chi-Det matchups/yr, how many are nationally broadcast?

In the new schedule, they will meet twice/yr, so they could go national with both and not miss a beat... unless NBC is presentlt doing 3-4 outta the 6 games already... but i don't think they are..
Pretty sure all 6 Chi/Det games last year were nationally televised.

Edit: Maybe that was the original 82 game schedule this year. Or it was 5 out of 6.

http://www.nbcuniversal.presscentre....3&NewsAreaId=2

Last edited by AdmiralsFan24: 03-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Closed Thread