HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Any Americans here travelling to Sochi next winter?

Old
02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Any Americans here travelling to Sochi next winter?

Looking to get people together. I will be in Bulgaria prior and will be travelling to the Olympics and seeing if anyone here was going. Possibly travelling together too.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

would love to go, but depends on the cost. plus not sure if you can buy specific games or you have to purchase a pack of games as I would obviously want tickets for all the US games.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
would love to go, but depends on the cost. plus not sure if you can buy specific games or you have to purchase a pack of games as I would obviously want tickets for all the US games.
I think USA Hockey has tickets allotted for those US fans to purchase but I could be wrong. Flying to Russia will be so expensive at that time from the US that if anyone would need help searching for flights on smaller websites I can assist.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Xokkeu

I will be there barring an unforeseen unfortunate chain of events.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:12 AM
EbencoyE

I wish I could go, but I'm aiming for Korea in 2018 instead.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Bullwine85

Would go, but already on the package (and therefore saving up for) US Soccer at the World Cup in Brazil later that year. If US doesn't qualify however, I'll likely convert that to Sochi money.

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Xokkeu

Vodka and dinner is on me the first night. Not my fault how you feel the next morning.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Vodka and dinner is on me the first night. Not my fault how you feel the next morning.
I'll bring some Rakia and we'll trade. Like our great ancestors use to. I'll be excited to be there. Gotta start to look at tickets. Never been to any international games as they don't tend to happen around here. Know where to look?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'll bring some Rakia and we'll trade. Like our great ancestors use to. I'll be excited to be there. Gotta start to look at tickets. Never been to any international games as they don't tend to happen around here. Know where to look?
I believe tickets are distributed through our Olympic Associations. I did go to the Turin Olympics and I was able to buy tickets on a website and pick them up at the game. I also bought a couple off a very sketchy British scalper (USA vs Slovakia). Very few games were sold out when I was there.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
boris4c

Does anyone have an idea how much the tickets would cost? I'm guessing a little bit less than they were in Vancouver, or maybe not.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
Does anyone have an idea how much the tickets would cost? I'm guessing a little bit less than they were in Vancouver, or maybe not.
Tough to say. Tickets to the World Championships in Moscow were very reasonable as were the tickets to the last European Olympics in Turin. I seem to remember spending $30-40 face value for Turin tickets and around $100 for a scalped ticket. Considering NHL ticket prices that's a steal.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
It's not announced yet but the prices will propably be much less than in the Nordic countries or in Canada. Russia in general is quite cheap.

And the people are lovely, don't believe the media horror stories. If there's one word to describe Russia it's FUN.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Forsberg21Sakic19

I will be in Switzerland during this time and am planning on spending a few days over there. Anybody have any idea what the accomodation situation is like? I imagine the hotels are already filling up. Any good sites for apartment/house stays?

Forsberg21Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg21Sakic19 View Post
I will be in Switzerland during this time and am planning on spending a few days over there. Anybody have any idea what the accomodation situation is like? I imagine the hotels are already filling up. Any good sites for apartment/house stays?
The hockey games will be in Sochi itself. If you want to see any skiing or those sorts of events, they will be a roughly 45 minute drive up into the mountains. I'd assume they will have buses of some kind.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Forsberg21Sakic19

Xokkeu, thanks for the information I've been to the area. My questions was more in regards to if some of the surrounding towns had significant accommodation options as well. There's actually a light rail thats been built between Sochi/Adler and the mountain venues in Krasnaya Polyana so accessibility shouldn't be an issue.

Sochi, while being a resort town, would need a ton of hotels built to support all of the traveling fans in the Olympics.

Forsberg21Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:54 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg21Sakic19 View Post
Xokkeu, thanks for the information I've been to the area. My questions was more in regards to if some of the surrounding towns had significant accommodation options as well. There's actually a light rail thats been built between Sochi/Adler and the mountain venues in Krasnaya Polyana so accessibility shouldn't be an issue.

Sochi, while being a resort town, would need a ton of hotels built to support all of the traveling fans in the Olympics.
The light rail must be new because last time I was there the road up to Krasnaya Polyana was the only way and it was a rough go, although it was under construction.

There are hotels all along the road from Sochi to Tuapse as it's a main tourist route. Unfortunately most of them aren't really set up for people who want to move around and don't have cars. That's because A: many people bring their cars and B: most people don't want to go anywhere. They just want to sit on the beach.

The good news is that all the hotels will be empty outside of Olympic visitors because February is a dead month. I know one hotel owner who isn't even planning to rent his rooms out and is just inviting a few friends because he makes all of his money in the summer anyway.