HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaleta hit on Richards discussion (Suspended 5 games)

Old
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Not sure on the specifics, but he was 3rd in TOI for Rangers forwards and Pominville was the only Sabre Forward with more ice time. 21:47 of ice time doesn't scream a serious amount of pain to me.

No doubt it was wrong of Kaleta to do, but if he was as hurt as he acted, or like some reporters are saying right now, he shouldn't have returned. There is no way he got a full evaluation before he came back out.
Looked like a stinger, I had one in football. Scary, you go numb, but it doesnt last long.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

The more I look at this and Kaleta I'm really not sure why anyone is defending this.

The concussion he gave Kariya was the last he'd ever play, his hit on Richards was dangerous, his been caught headbutting on multiple occasions. He is a bit more of a Torres/Cooke player, and both of them have had to have major suspensions in order to (hopefully) calm down their play. Would that be whats best for Kaleta?

Ye Ennis has been boarded a couple of times but normally there is a minor shortly afterwards, normally a just punishment since it's a completely different hit.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
beerme1

I'm guessing 5 games based on who he is. There is no defending this.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Clock

Kaleta's a named man and he's got to be careful with that and wary of players who will take advantage of his rep.

Gotta be smarter than that. I'll be OK with whatever he ends up with.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

My problem is the fact that Tortorella says it was "The most disgusting hit he's ever witnessed" yet Richards doesn't even get checked for a concussion?

Really? What happened to that 10 minutes in the dark room protocol?

Out the window in new CBA? Or just because its NY?

He's a $60 Million man. Might want to make sure he's okay before putting him back on the ice 50 seconds later.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
My problem is the fact that Tortorella says it was "The most disgusting hit he's ever witnessed" yet Richards doesn't even get checked for a concussion?

He's a $60 Million man. Might want to make sure he's okay before putting him back on the ice 50 seconds later.
Richards sold that hit, plain and simple, IMO. It was a dumb play by Kaleta, to be sure, but not nearly as bad as Richards made it look rolling around on the ice. It was a light crosscheck when Richards was in an awkward position, but he went down REALLY easily.

Tortorella always talks out of his *** rather than his mouth when it comes to this stuff though, so no surprises there.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Exactly this. The only reason he doesn't get checked for a concussion is because he is embellishing the hit. There is no other logical reason within the rules of the NHL.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Kaleta will get 5 games.

and he deserves it, Sabres fan or not.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Royisgone

Quote:

I seem to recall Lindy Ruff being asked about this not too long ago during a GR-55 phone interview. Ruff's answer was vague and sort of like "I'm not really sure if they still follow through with that" like the whole "dark room protocol" has kind of been forgotten about, or is at least only sporadically followed.

The NHL is good like that. The rule today is quietly forgotten about tomorrow.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
The one guy on XM wanted 10+ and the Sabres organization fined for "putting this guy out on the ice all the time because he can't play hockey"

I turned it off. Unreal bias, you'd expect that from a random HF poster.

What Kaleta did was stupid and reckless, but not dirty. 3-4 games, move on.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
I seem to recall Lindy Ruff being asked about this not too long ago during a GR-55 phone interview. Ruff's answer was vague and sort of like "I'm not really sure if they still follow through with that" like the whole "dark room protocol" has kind of been forgotten about, or is at least only sporadically followed.

The NHL is good like that. The rule today is quietly forgotten about tomorrow.
That's okay if that's the case, but that's your $60 million man.

Might want to make sure he is okay before putting him back out there. Ya know, since that's the worst hit you've ever seen and all.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Exactly this. The only reason he doesn't get checked for a concussion is because he is embellishing the hit. There is no other logical reason within the rules of the NHL.
Not sure on the details but even if he did embellish I have no problem with it. it's a hit that needs to be highlighted and maybe if more people did put on a little bit of a show when they get hit in a similar fashion dirty hits like that would happen less.

Of note I like Kaleta and think if he tried to play a little better, use Ott/Tropp/Gausted as examples he'd be a much better player.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
MGIII
Legendary

I wish Richards a speedy recovery.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Not sure on the details but even if he did embellish I have no problem with it. it's a hit that needs to be highlighted and maybe if more people did put on a little bit of a show when they get hit in a similar fashion dirty hits like that would happen less.

Of note I like Kaleta and think if he tried to play a little better, use Ott/Tropp/Gausted as examples he'd be a much better player.
I agree with you that the hit should be highlighted, and there should be a suspenson of 2-4 games. My bet is on 4. Im simply stating that the results of the hit was an unfortunate combination of two poor decisions that made a dangerous situation. It sucks, but thats what happened.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiii View Post
i wish richards a speedy recovery.
he's fine! There is nothing wrong with him!

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I agree with you that the hit should be highlighted, and there should be a suspenson of 2-4 games. My bet is on 4. Im simply stating that the results of the hit was an unfortunate combination of two poor decisions that made a dangerous situation. It sucks, but thats what happened.
Agreed, these things happen and his ok. At least Torts was good for a laugh though, his a complete hypocrite.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
The one guy on XM wanted 10+ and the Sabres organization fined for "putting this guy out on the ice all the time because he can't play hockey"

I turned it off. Unreal bias, you'd expect that from a random HF poster.

What Kaleta did was stupid and reckless, but not dirty. 3-4 games, move on.
Anyone who says Kaleta "can't play hockey" has no interest in truth, facts or reason. I disregard their opinions from then on out.

---

Kaleta did speak with the media

On what to expect from the hearing:
"Go in and talk. Tell my side of the story and go from there."

"I was told by Darcy it's just a phone call"

What did you think of it? (the hit)
"I'm gonna keep it as limited as I can. I'm just sorry for the position I put my team in, trying to kill that penalty. I feel for that, putting the penalty killers out there and them getting the two goals. Makes me feel like a bag of garbage after seeing that. I'm glad our team responded. I'm proud of that. Just gonna go forward."

What did you see on the play, the hit?
"It was on the penalty kill, so you know, you're playing the zone, you're not really supposed to finish checks, etc. I just play hard and I was trying to do my job."

You talked about recently wanting to change your team. Last night they said oh it's the same guy. Does that hurt?
"I have changed my game. I know I have. I know players have seen that, and even referees. I've had refs come up to me and said 'hey, I've respect what you've done so far. As long as you keep showing that respect, then we'll show you that respect.' I loved hearing that, knowing they've seen the change in my game so I know I've changed my game.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
So torn on this (on how many games Shanny will decide). It wasn't intent to injure and he didn't drive through, charge or show recklessness. It was a dumb decision.

I say 3 or 4.
This exactly.

Was nothing more than a careless play that cost us a point. Conceded, was an ugly hit, but probably not as bad as it looked (given Richards' returning to the game so soon). Glad the guy's ok. I say 3-4 games, but knowing Shanny w/ Patty's history, I wouldn't be surprised to see as high as 6. Anything higher than that would be just plain ludicrous.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
zero39

The funny thing is that Kaleta is right, he has changed his game, and for the better. And he is a real hockey player, a battler, good skater, and good penalty killer. Too bad that he had to do something stupid, reckless and dangerous to not only endanger another player, but also to set himself back and hurt his team.

zero39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
This exactly.

Was nothing more than a careless play that cost us a point. Conceded, was an ugly hit, but probably not as bad as it looked (given Richards' returning to the game so soon). Glad the guy's ok. I say 3-4 games, but knowing Shanny w/ Patty's history, I wouldn't be surprised to see as high as 6. Anything higher than that would be just plain ludicrous.
He can't get any higher then 5 because it is over the phone.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
This exactly.

Can't be over 5 since it's a phone call.

*Bah, HL beat me to it...:-)*

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Sam I Am

Kaleta will likely get 4 or 5 games IMO.

That said, the infraction wasn't substantially different than this recent hit by Mike Brown on Josh Gorges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-G1RjEQop8

Like Kaleta, Brown is no angel. Nonetheless he did not receive any sanction beyond the original 5 minute boarding major.

The NHL has always followed the strange policy that punishment should mirror the injury incurred rather than the act that caused it. Here's a play where Colton Orr tried--but failed--to annihilate Tomas Plekanec:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.a0zrNS08lxE

When he sees Plekanec is going to avoid contact, Colton Orr extends his knee --one of the most dangerous plays in hockey. Thanks in no small part to Plekanec's athleticism, there was no knee-on-knee collision...and no sanction. In the crazy world of NHL hockey, attemped murder is not a crime. To be punished, you have to finish the job.

Both Gorges and Richards were lucky to avoid serious injury. However, Richards is a high-profile player--and so vocal in his post-game comments that Shanahan will acquiesce and impose a suspension on Kaleta.

Undoubtedly he deserves it...but so did Orr and Brown.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
HiddenInLight

I just wish the league would be consistent with these punishments. How is that such a hard concept for the league to understand. Thats all that anybody in the media or the fans want them to do.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Richards sold that hit, plain and simple, IMO. It was a dumb play by Kaleta, to be sure, but not nearly as bad as Richards made it look rolling around on the ice. It was a light crosscheck when Richards was in an awkward position, but he went down REALLY easily.

Tortorella always talks out of his *** rather than his mouth when it comes to this stuff though, so no surprises there.
Yeah, that was my view the first I saw this. Anyone who thinks that any player, even Kaleta, would try to shove Richards' face through the boards up 1-0 on the PK is just demagoguing.

I think they need to get this kind of hit out of the game and he should get a game or two because of it but he's had worse legal hits.

Though, personally, if Rolston wants to give him another game or two in the press box, on top of any suspension, over the stupidity of what he did.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Yeah, that was my view the first I saw this. Anyone who thinks that any player, even Kaleta, would try to shove Richards' face through the boards up 1-0 on the PK is just demagoguing.

I think they need to get this kind of hit out of the game and he should get a game or two because of it but he's had worse legal hits.

Though, personally, if Rolston wants to give him another game or two in the press box, on top of any suspension, over the stupidity of what he did.

On the main boards the rangers fans have their heads buried so deep in the sand on the issue it's kind of sad.