HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Rodman calls North Korea's Kim an "Awesome Guy"

Old
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
yotesreign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I believe the actual line was "Only Nixon could go to China".
Oh drats, I must be posting on a suspended "Bonafide Trekkie" permit.

Oh well I had the right president, since Nixon was the first president to go there, but not the only one who could. Jerry Ford went there in 1975, Ronald Regan went there in 1984, George Bush the First went to China in 1989, Bill Clinton went there in 1998, George Bush II went there in 2001, and again in 2005 (the famous pic of him trying to open doors that wouldn't open), Obama went there in 2009.

In the context of supposing 'if he didn't go to China, none of the others would have gone there' - we'll never know, but I sit corrected, well played sir.

Time will tell if Rodman's visit to North Korea has the impact of Nixon's trip to China, eh? I won't hold my breath but...

And if it works, Dennis should go to Cuba next!

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

It is extremely unlikely that NK will undergo the rapid economic transformation seen in China. There is no Deng Xiaoping-like figure in NK. They have loosened some restrictions on businesses, but the government is still in overwhelming control of most businesses.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
It is extremely unlikely that NK will undergo the rapid economic transformation seen in China. There is no Deng Xiaoping-like figure in NK. They have loosened some restrictions on businesses, but the government is still in overwhelming control of most businesses.
Deng Xiaoping is in a car that comes to an intersection. The sign says to turn right for communism, turn left for capitalism. The driver asks him which way he wants him to go, Xiaoping responds, "that's easy, signal right and turn left".

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Right?

Bush actually invaded and bombed the **** out of countries rather than resort to empty rhetoric.

edit: damn, missed the plural "Kims"...
Are you serious?

You're seriously suggesting Bush is worse than the Kims because Bush invaded two states during his term? You are aware of North Korea's mass poverty, rampant patronage, and horribly biased judicial system? Not to mention North Korea's border skirmishes with South Korea, who it would invade if it weren't for pressure from China and the US?

03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
And if it works, Dennis should go to Cuba next!

If the scores of celebrities who have gone to Cuba and Jimmy Carter can't effect change, who can? It'd be easier to go to Little Havana, speak the truth, get beaten to a pulp (though in Florida, being fatally shot is easier and may carry less of a sentence), then expose the exiles as a tyrannous mob who oppress their own over a grudge to bring real change.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
China moreso doesn't want millions of refugees flooding its borders. Keeping North Koreans in North Korea is pretty much their policy.
There are already millions of Koreans in Jilin Province.

Currently, many of the north korean refugees who make it to China, don't stay in china... then make their way to South Korea on a boat.

What exactly are you saying? China would support Korean unification, as long as American troops evacuate Korea. Both China and Korea would benefit from being linked up via land. It would increase trade between China and Korea... and there would tremendous investment opportunities in the newly industrializing north. (opportunities for global capital from all sorts of regions)

Regardless, I see this for what it is... Rodman doing something "weird" and getting press for it.

If this was really some grand plan to make Kim more popular, especially more popular to the outside world... consider the mission a failure.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Are you serious?

You're seriously suggesting Bush is worse than the Kims because Bush invaded two states during his term? You are aware of North Korea's mass poverty, rampant patronage, and horribly biased judicial system? Not to mention North Korea's border skirmishes with South Korea, who it would invade if it weren't for pressure from China and the US?
You are aware that Iraq and Afghanistan are in total chaos, hundreds of thousands have died, and millions more have been displaced or forced to flee altogether?

You're right, I don't get why our brand of violence is any different than theirs. I'm thick like that.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
Perhaps the word of people, who knew him from school?

Sorry, but I don't believe in absolutely evil or good people. Just because the media is talking about the evil North Korea, doesn't mean it is true.
Sure the "awesome guy" was probably said because of the money thrown at Rodman. But it doesn't mean that it isn't partly true
Wait, what? Are you implying that everything about NK is just propaganda? A country that starves its people and has people living their entire lives in labor camps while having an entire city that is mostly fake to attempt to fool tourists. Yeah, I'm sure they aren't all that bad though

Go read or watch some interviews of NK defectors and then say it's not true.

Leaders that brainwash their people into thinking NK is the best country in the world and life is worse outside its walls and America is evil, yet KJI had a giant collection of American movies and spent million of dollars importing Hennessy for himself.

I'm not worried about them doing anything stupid when it comes to military action, they talk a big game to get attention and attempt to show their people that they are powerful, but Un has been to school outside of NK and has seen the world, he knows they'd be obliterated if they did anything stupid.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:18 AM
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn* View Post
There are already millions of Koreans in Jilin Province.

Currently, many of the north korean refugees who make it to China, don't stay in china... then make their way to South Korea on a boat.

What exactly are you saying? China would support Korean unification, as long as American troops evacuate Korea. Both China and Korea would benefit from being linked up via land. It would increase trade between China and Korea... and there would tremendous investment opportunities in the newly industrializing north. (opportunities for global capital from all sorts of regions)
Sure, China would support unification. If they could guarantee that millions more people wouldn't flood their borders. Which is something that would undoubtedly happen.

This isn't exactly news. As much as China is annoyed by their mentally unstable neighbour, the immediate fallout of a war, invasion, crisis, coup or whatever is not exactly something China is eager for. That's why they're maintaining the status quo.

But sure, long-term (50? 100 years?) it would be better for China if NK got their crap together. It's how to deal with the short-term that is the problem.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Daynz
What!?!

Rodman: I'm going on vacation with Kim in August.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/11/world/...man/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) -- NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman plans to return to North Korea in August, CNN affiliate KXJB reported Monday.

Rodman, who recently visited the communist nation, said he plans to vacation with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"I don't condone what he does, but he's my friend," Rodman told KXJB while in Fargo, North Dakota, for a promotional appearance.

Rodman, who was giddy throughout the interview, insisted the North Korean leader doesn't want war.

A spokesman for Rodman said Kim extended the offer during Rodman's visit a few weeks ago.
A vacation huh? Have fun.

Daynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I bet it looks nice there at least

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Twitter has been set up in NK (regardless of how limited and censored it is, hey China - you block it ENTIRELY), didn't high ranking google execs also go recently along with others in the tech community?

YEAH it's not just Rodman and nutters who love communism for some reason.

so yeah - you being right... not so much. Goes hand in hand with being a canucks fan though so no biggie.
There is like one thousand person's living in NK who have access to free internet. So yeah, Twitter means ****, unless there is people who are free to use it.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
Probably his brother, David Rodman

But who know what Kim is like. He could be a great guy in his personal life. You mustn't equal his political image with his real personality.
So that Hitler....I hear he was a nice guy.

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Quote:
You are aware that Iraq and Afghanistan are in total chaos, hundreds of thousands have died, and millions more have been displaced or forced to flee altogether?

You're right, I don't get why our brand of violence is any different than theirs. I'm thick like that.

Right. They were both paradises before Bush.

#areyouretarded

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:

You have no clue what you're talking about.

North Korea is probably the most repressive regime in the world.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

Going to war in Afghanistan was justified in accordance with both international law and international norms. The violence rampant in the country at this point is not exactly exclusively on the hands of NATO/US forces. The Taliban did plenty of damage on their own before the US arrived, and during the course of the war, they're responsible for a significant (if not the majority) of civilian casualties. They sure as hell will still be fighting when the US leaves. Not only that, but the country was in a state of civil war (or at the very least, there was heavy sectarian violence), and the Taliban government had been accused of systemic persecution and violent reprisals against civilians associated with the Northern Alliance, before the US invasion even began. The US basically intervened in the civil war by siding with the Northern Alliance, giving them training and weapons and letting them take out the Taliban before the US main ground force even arrived.

Iraq was a state being held together by a tyrant. In the aftermath of the US invasion, you're left with a state that's strongly decentralized (based on ethnic and religious affiliations) after a period of ethnic cleansing that was brought about by the inability of the US to provide adequate security post-Hussein. That's not condoning the US invasion, but puts things into perspective.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
You have no clue what you're talking about.

North Korea is probably the most repressive regime in the world.
I'm guessing he doesn't make a distinction between repression inside the borders of the nation-State or outside them.

It's not without arguments.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
So that Hitler....I hear he was a nice guy.
Clearly Hitler's dog loved him so he can't be a evil guy personally

Here he is hanging out with kids smiling and laughing

Here he is after declaring Friday's as casual Friday's at his headquarters what a guy

There's no indication that Kim Jung-Un is anything but the same spoiled genetic material as his old man. He's still spending money on lavish gifts for his friends, and he's still sending people to the gulags, and he's still hanging out at his multiple castles playing x-box while collecting expensive liquors and cars while his people starve.

The sooner the world is rid of that family the better. Dennis Rodman is an idiot, I doubt that they partied at one of the gulags or prisons. He was a propaganda piece and a pure illustration of why celebrities and athletes should stay out of politics that they don't understand.

I think the term in communist language is useful idiots.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote