HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread - Part XVI: IU WINS OUTRIGHT BIG TEN TITLE

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

vCash: 500
Because they cover the sox and talk about them much more. They are the sox AM station... That being said though, they are not really negative towards the Cubs any more than anyone should be.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

B&B criticize everyone, they are over the top cynical.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
No, it is 50/50, some kiss their ass, some curse them.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Every time I listen to the Score, all I hear is this ridiculous optimism about guys like Tyler Flowers and Jared Mitchell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an optimistic guy, but every caller seems to think any White Sox prospect has All-Star potential.

Thank God for whoever hosts their baseball show for shutting it down every time. Though Courtney Hawkins will get deserved hype.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Oh, btw, if anyone's interested in amateur hockey, the ACHA championship tournament is essentially going on right now in Bensenville. Illini got eliminated over the weekend, so the final four is as follows...

Ohio vs Minot State
Arizona State vs Lindenwood

Those games are being played tomorrow, with the championship on Wednesday. A bit pricy though, $15 a seat.

Still, not going to lie.... am somewhat interested in going to Wednesday's game....

Old
03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Oh, btw, if anyone's interested in amateur hockey, the ACHA championship tournament is essentially going on right now in Bensenville. Illini got eliminated over the weekend, so the final four is as follows...

Ohio vs Minot State
Arizona State vs Lindenwood

Those games are being played tomorrow, with the championship on Wednesday. A bit pricy though, $15 a seat.

Still, not going to lie.... am somewhat interested in going to Wednesday's game....
Might go Wednesday, as well. We'll see. ASU has come along ways in recent years. Cool to see.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
they constantly suck the cubs organization's figurative wang on the score, so not sure why you're talking about sox bias....
None of these guys have any idea what they are talking about. There isn't as Sox bias at this station at all.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
None of these guys have any idea what they are talking about. There isn't as Sox bias at this station at all.
No, but if we are talking about someone like Mulligan, I mean, come on.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

Quote:
The only "bias" is time. Which is warranted.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No, but if we are talking about someone like Mulligan, I mean, come on.
Eh, I don't listen to the morning show, cuz those guys are so boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The only "bias" is time. Which is warranted.
We need to get Deadspin to do Bristolmetrics on this

I've never thought that M&S or B&B spent more time on the Sox than Cubs, outside of late in years when the Cubs haven't been in the race in the Sox have. Normally, it's very equal. And heck, both teams have a TV guy who comes on the air...and ours discusses the Cubs about an equal amount that he does the Sox, while Kasper never discusses the Sox. So there's that.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

Quote:
We need to get Deadspin to do Bristolmetrics on this

I've never thought that M&S or B&B spent more time on the Sox than Cubs, outside of late in years when the Cubs haven't been in the race in the Sox have. Normally, it's very equal. And heck, both teams have a TV guy who comes on the air...and ours discusses the Cubs about an equal amount that he does the Sox, while Kasper never discusses the Sox. So there's that.
Was talking about the entire station.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

B&B have been unlistenable for me lately. I only listen for 60-90 min a day a few days each week but when I've tuned it has been all NBA talk.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Well, I mean, there's 3 main shows, 1 of which i've already acknowledged I don't listen to. But everything outside of those 3 and I guess maybe Laurence are just filler programming and really shouldn't be considered in the discussion, IMO.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:29 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

B&B I definitely enjoy the least. I find myself switching stations quite a bit when I'm listening to them.

All the other shows are tolerable and usually fairly decent. They cover football pretty well during the season. Even if they're off a bit on hockey, I still enjoy when they talk it the most.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Time for a little "Where are they now?"

Can anyone name the guy on the left?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Don't tell me that's Joe Crede

Old
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

That it is. My god did he ever balloon.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
madgoat33

that can't be good for his back.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Keith Tkachuk of baseball??

Old
03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
madgoat33

charles barkley of baseball

Old
03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The score doesn't cover hockey, and that's good because they can't. They were arguing that Lidstrom was the best defenseman of all time.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The score doesn't cover hockey, and that's good because they can't. They were arguing that Lidstrom was the best defenseman of all time.
The 9-1 show did about 3 hours of it today

Old
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
MaximusPrime

Quote:
Time for a little "Where are they now?"

Can anyone name the guy on the left?
Haha! I can name the guy on the right too.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Illinihockey

From fangraphs

Jorge Soler: Baseballís Next Big Prospect?
by JD Sussman - March 4, 2013

Since winning the National League Central in 2008 the Cubs have been in steep decline, culminating in a 101 loss season in 2012. Whether the organization is able to rise up from the cellar may hinge on a trio of hitting prospects, Javier Baez, Albert Almora and Jorge Soler. Itís easy to fall in love with Baezís dreamy bat speed or Almoraís rare combination of tools and polish, but it is Soler who is the gameís next elite prospect.

Just days after the Cubs selected Almora in the 2012 June Draft, they bolstered their farm system by signing Jorge Soler to a 9 year $30 million contract. General Manager Jed Hoyer and his boss, Theo Epstein, were forced to answer a difficult question. What is the appropriate level of competition for a 20-year-old who hasnít faced live pitching in two years? Yes, you read that correctly. When Soler began his month and a half long stateside debut in the Arizona League he had not played a game since the 2010 World Junior Baseball Championship.

Solerís 2012 debut was essentially him shaking the rust off, but there are things that stand out. The first thing that catches oneís eye is Soler has the build of an elite athlete. He has a lean muscular frame that oozes athleticism. Solerís upper legs are well developed and provide him with a powerful base. His chest and back are impressive too, but further growth of his upper half shouldnít be unexpected.

Despite the layoff, Solerís tools are exceptionally loud. Power will be the Cubanís carry tool, but he also posses a plus arm and average or better speed. His power is derived from the immense bat speed he generates with his hands and hips. His hands begin in a high load and require minimal movement before he rifles them forward in conjunction with his hip turn. The power projection comes not only from the bat speed, but the lift and leverage present too. Itís easy to grade his future power a six or seven and its utility should not be undermined by his hit tool.

The simplicity of his swing and the use of his hands suggest he has the ability develop an average or better hit tool, but his aggressive approach and pitch recognition are important indicators to consider too. Iíve seen his approach questioned and witnesses him failing at breaking balls, but his layoff is important context to consider. Without playing in a game for two years, itís understandable Soler would need time to adjust to pitch sequencing, recognize pitches, and control the strike zone. Those skills cannot be developed in a batting cage or during batting practice and will temporarily deteriorate if they are not used. Reports out of Cubs camp is that Soler has come into camp improved in all of these areas. In his first full season the development of his hit tool and approach will be important to watch.

Few in the minor leagues possess comparable tools to Jorge Soler, but 2013 will be a challenge for the outfielder. While Soler needs experience and exposure to more advanced pitchers to continue his development, competing in a full minor league campaign will prove to be grueling after his layoff. Hopefully Iíll be able get another look and video of Soler when the FanGraphs caravan arrives in Arizona next week. With Soler slated for the Florida State League, I may not have another chance to see him until next Spring.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusPrime View Post
Haha! I can name the guy on the right too.
Really?

Maybe you know the guy I got the pic from then.

Closed Thread