Notices

hey Patrick O'Sullivan fans...

Old
07-20-2006, 06:53 PM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckandGrind View Post
We only have the words out of Demitra's own mouth. He was not interested in coming to play here as a free agent last season. As a matter of fact, he said that he was initially not very happy to find out that he was traded to Wild this summer. It took a phone conversation with Gaborik to help change his outlook.
That's certainly a valid explanation as to why he didn't sign here last summer. But, jeez, would've been nice if Gaborik would've had that little pow-wow w/ Pavol last summer. It's not like Gabby had that much more artillery to sell Pavol on the Wild this summer as opposed to last (at the time of the trade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckandGrind View Post
Believe it or not, there are things other than money that factor into where a player wants to play. With Demitra, it could have been his fear of playing under a coach like Lemaire who he believed may hold him back from doing what he does best. He has even hinted at that during his press conferences. Another factor could have been warm and sunny Southern California. There maybe others as well.
Did I ever say that it was all about the money for Demitra? What I'm saying is that if Demitra was willing to theoretically turn down a 13% pay raise to play with his supposed best bud in Minnesota last season, why am I supposed to believe that he's not going to be a little bummed (to say the least) this season? Oh yeah, I forgot about the magic conversation with Gabby that had him singing a different tune:

I can just see it now, Gabby and Pavol's midnight rap session. Gabby easing Pavol's concerns about Minnesota's system, frigid weather, and maybe even lack of a club scene (is Pavol married?). Marian spinning tales of Lake Wobogon, Pavol becoming more and more enchanted by this land of mystery. Gabby talking about how this is such a great place to settle down and raise a family......the school system.......the smell of burning firewood on a Halloween night......shoveling off an ice rink for the young'uns on one of Minnesota's 10,000 frozen lakes "They call it the Land of 10,000 Lakes, Pavol, but didja know there's actually quite a bit more than that".....virgin snowfall on Christmas morning.......rollerblading around Lake Harriet in the summer........not being able to wait until the Twins new outdoor stadium opens up.

My guess is that Pavol likes the idea of playing with Marian, but would still rather be in LA if he had his druthers. The idea of being talked into the idea of liking it here is prob. just some schmultzy quote you spout off to the papers when you've just been traded. This doesn't mean that he's going to be so miserable here that he turns into a 40 point player. And maybe you just say tough nuggets if you'd rather play in LA. But I really don't think it's a wise move to trade PO & #18 for a vet who would just as soon be someplace else. If he really is pumped to be here, then God alive do I wish he could've had the chat with Gabby last summer.

CEBER: Sorry, my computer is a POS, could you paraphrase the Lynn comments? Any mention of why they weren't more aggressive going a/ Demitra as a ufa?
** Thanks Ceber!! **

Last edited by sushinsky4tsar: 07-23-2006 at 12:08 AM.
sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post

I can just see it now, Gabby and Pavol's midnight rap session. Gabby easing Pavol's concerns about Minnesota's system, frigid weather, and maybe even lack of a club scene (is Pavol married?). Marian spinning tales of Lake Wobogon, Pavol becoming more and more enchanted by this land of mystery. Gabby talking about how this is such a great place to settle down and raise a family......the school system.......the smell of burning firewood on a Halloween night......shoveling off an ice rink for the young'uns on one of Minnesota's 10,000 frozen lakes "They call it the Land of 10,000 Lakes, Pavol, but didja know there's actually quite a bit more than that".....virgin snowfall on Christmas morning.......rollerblading around Lake Harriet in the summer........not being able to wait until the Twins new outdoor stadium opens up.
You forgot to mention the A&W drive-in up on Rice Street. That's probably what sealed the deal.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:41 AM
ceber

Quote:
CEBER: Sorry, my computer is a POS, could you paraphrase the Lynn comments? Any mention of why they weren't more aggressive going a/ Demitra as a ufa?
If I have some time tomorrow at work I'll try to do just that. If I don't, it's because I either got busy or forgot.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:54 AM
vitogor

Quote:
That's certainly a valid explanation as to why he didn't sign here last summer. But, jeez, would've been nice if Gaborik would've had that little pow-wow w/ Pavol last summer. It's not like Gabby had that much more artillery to sell Pavol on the Wild this summer as opposed to last (at the time of the trade).
My guess is that Gabby had some sort of an oral commitment from DR that this offseason we are opening the wallet. Something that he didn't have last summer.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:19 AM
slovakfan*

just wait to 1st NHL game and you will see what does it mean
Gaborik + Demitra .

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
MuckandGrind

Quote:

Did I ever say that it was all about the money for Demitra? What I'm saying is that if Demitra was willing to theoretically turn down a 13% pay raise to play with his supposed best bud in Minnesota last season, why am I supposed to believe that he's not going to be a little bummed (to say the least) this season? Oh yeah, I forgot about the magic conversation with Gabby that had him singing a different tune:

My guess is that Pavol likes the idea of playing with Marian, but would still rather be in LA if he had his druthers. The idea of being talked into the idea of liking it here is prob. just some schmultzy quote you spout off to the papers when you've just been traded. This doesn't mean that he's going to be so miserable here that he turns into a 40 point player. And maybe you just say tough nuggets if you'd rather play in LA. But I really don't think it's a wise move to trade PO & #18 for a vet who would just as soon be someplace else. If he really is pumped to be here, then God alive do I wish he could've had the chat with Gabby last summer.

Not sure....maybe because he understands the business part of the NHL and that he will act like a professional? I haven't seen any problems with him in the past acting unprofessional, we should we expect anything different now?

No one can guarantee that he will enjoy playing and living here (and, yes, he is married with children). But the fact that DR opened up the wallet and make this team (on paper) a playoff contender should help.

I'll still say that without the trade for Demitra, there was a very good chance of Gaborik not re-signing with the Wild. So if getting rid of O'Sullivan and the 18th pick meant we could have Demitra and Gaborik, then I say the trade was well worth it.

MuckandGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
ceber

Tom Lynn (paraphrased):

Team generally looks for trades before free-agent signings. First, don't have to sign a guy for long term at big number. Second, guys are usually on the way out with current team and have something to prove.
In free agency, the team looked at 15 forwards, had 3 top centers in mind. No guarantee they'd be interested. Risk is waiting until July 1 and not getting a guy. Doug worked phones for 10 days prior to draft, finding who was available, etc. Keyed on Demitra. Needed 1) top offensive center, 2) guy who'd fit on team. Demitra played for Joe Q in St. Louis who coached a similar system. They liked the team fit for Demitra.
Gaborik connection did not come up until after they'd centered on Demitra (had 5 names, Demitra at top). It was a nice bonus, but not a factor in the decision. Much like guys with MN connections like Parrish. Not a factor, but a bonus.

There was a lot more talk about the free agent signings as a whole, talk about D men, Gaborik's contract, etc.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
bcimright

thanks ceber

bcimright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 06:27 AM
slovakfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
Tom Lynn (paraphrased):

Team generally looks for trades before free-agent signings. First, don't have to sign a guy for long term at big number. Second, guys are usually on the way out with current team and have something to prove.
In free agency, the team looked at 15 forwards, had 3 top centers in mind. No guarantee they'd be interested. Risk is waiting until July 1 and not getting a guy. Doug worked phones for 10 days prior to draft, finding who was available, etc. Keyed on Demitra. Needed 1) top offensive center, 2) guy who'd fit on team. Demitra played for Joe Q in St. Louis who coached a similar system. They liked the team fit for Demitra.
Gaborik connection did not come up until after they'd centered on Demitra (had 5 names, Demitra at top). It was a nice bonus, but not a factor in the decision. Much like guys with MN connections like Parrish. Not a factor, but a bonus.

There was a lot more talk about the free agent signings as a whole, talk about D men, Gaborik's contract, etc.

demitra played 30 matches with gaborik in lock out season. they were dominating in whole league.

Old
07-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Chrisd

ok so someone please tell me...

is he playing center or wing....

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 11:02 AM
slovakfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
ok so someone please tell me...

is he playing center or wing....
demitra is original LW but he plays as center.
but his face off sucks...

Old
07-22-2006, 12:00 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakfan View Post
demitra is original LW but he plays as center.
but his face off sucks...

let koivu center them

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote