*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Hockeyfriend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Wolves looked very below average today against the Storm. They outshot the Storm, but most shots were not quality shots.

They were outskated, and out hustled. Bertuzzi ran around like a pest, and notched 2 points, and no one did anything about it.

Their defence is being exposed big time. I know they are missing Corbett and Raine, and it shows. Today they were pushed around, and kept scrambling in their own zone.

PP was pathetic, especially on 5 on 3 for 2 minutes. They should have played Campagna at the point, as he was not useful at the goal line. He is dangerous when he can dictate the play on the PP, and even use his shot. They should have put Baptiste in front of the net, Pancel where MC was, and Kahun on the other goal line, and MC at the point.

Baptiste tries to do too much on his own. He leaves Pancel and Campagna skating around being useless. Pancel and Campagna always look to dish off and set up a scoring play, but Baptiste puts his head down and dumps it in. That bothers me tremendously. WE NEED MORE PUCK CONTROL, RATHER THAN DUMP AND CHASE.

This year is a learning experience for the young Wolves, but these young guys must mature over the summer, and BS must bring in experienced and strong players as role players next year, or we are in trouble.
Unfortunately this is how Cull coaches. He does little to change things up. 2nd PP unit did not even see the ice in the game. The overplay of specific players is exactly what Cull did last year down the stretch. The first PP unti has been awful of late yet Cull is trying to force it to work.

5 on 5 the Wolves were very good. PK was not bad...but PP is just awful. PP had both MC and NB below the goal line on either side of the goal??? They just put a defender in the middle to stop the cross crease pass.

Kantor gets overplayed and tries to do way too much on his own. I saw one pass from him all game - one pass!!! A few bad penalties and one that took any wind out of the sails near the end of the game - yet, did not come to bench afterwards...just stayed on and gave puck away with goalie out which almost caused an EN against.

I feel for this team next year as we are pushing for next year - and Kantor won't be here and given he is an OA this year and the ie he gets, he should be at 30-40 goals. He is taking up the time of kids who were to be part of their run next season.

Last week in Guelph he single handidly gave puck away twice that immediately turned into goals against - I will give credit that he got two back, but the damage as already done when we could not climb out of the hole.

For any playoff run or even for next season's depth he will need to change his style going to the playoffs or maybe, just maybe they are telling the others that they will not be fatored in for next season afterall.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Unfortunately this is how Cull coaches. He does little to change things up. 2nd PP unit did not even see the ice in the game. The overplay of specific players is exactly what Cull did last year down the stretch. The first PP unti has been awful of late yet Cull is trying to force it to work.

5 on 5 the Wolves were very good. PK was not bad...but PP is just awful. PP had both MC and NB below the goal line on either side of the goal??? They just put a defender in the middle to stop the cross crease pass.

Kantor gets overplayed and tries to do way too much on his own. I saw one pass from him all game - one pass!!! A few bad penalties and one that took any wind out of the sails near the end of the game - yet, did not come to bench afterwards...just stayed on and gave puck away with goalie out which almost caused an EN against.

I feel for this team next year as we are pushing for next year - and Kantor won't be here and given he is an OA this year and the ie he gets, he should be at 30-40 goals. He is taking up the time of kids who were to be part of their run next season.

Last week in Guelph he single handidly gave puck away twice that immediately turned into goals against - I will give credit that he got two back, but the damage as already done when we could not climb out of the hole.

For any playoff run or even for next season's depth he will need to change his style going to the playoffs or maybe, just maybe they are telling the others that they will not be fatored in for next season afterall.
I'll take a Kantor on my team any day. He's getting played over younger kids because he actually skates like he gives a ****. When the entire team is just going through the motions, he actually wins battles for the puck.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
I'll take a Kantor on my team any day. He's getting played over younger kids because he actually skates like he gives a ****. When the entire team is just going through the motions, he actually wins battles for the puck.
And on a regular basis taking 3rd period costly penalties because of temper. Sure he gives a **** but there is a time and a place. Down by two goals - again on Sunday - he takes a boarding penalty with less than 3 minutes to play. This is just the most recent. If he gives a **** and is suppose to be your captain he must play to what the team needs at that time - not sitting in the box.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:37 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
And on a regular basis taking 3rd period costly penalties because of temper. Sure he gives a **** but there is a time and a place. Down by two goals - again on Sunday - he takes a boarding penalty with less than 3 minutes to play. This is just the most recent. If he gives a **** and is suppose to be your captain he must play to what the team needs at that time - not sitting in the box.
Agree on both ends. Kantor, is maybe the hardest worker on the team, but he does take some costly penalties. Guys like him and Silk are needed for their energy and team qualities, but they have brain cramps every now and then, and cost the team.

I just dont see the team skating hard anymore. Wolves need some experienced, role players for next year, especially on defence.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
djscooter

Quote:
Agree on both ends. Kantor, is maybe the hardest worker on the team, but he does take some costly penalties. Guys like him and Silk are needed for their energy and team qualities, but they have brain cramps every now and then, and cost the team.

I just dont see the team skating hard anymore. Wolves need some experienced, role players for next year, especially on defence.
Almost all of the players on the team burn them at times. Whether its a guy like Dodero looking for the big hit, Cummins making a bad outlet pass, Campagna not backchecking, etc, there's huge holes in the team that need to be solved to contend on a night to night basis.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Squeet

I thik this team is outta gas. Influx at the deadline had them on a high, the teams in the East had no clue what to do about Frankie cause he truly is great...now I just dont see the team that went so long a span with at least a point per game.
And I hate to say it cause I'm a HUGE fan

Old
03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
chewerjones

Wasnt able to catch game tonight against Belleville, but I hear it was a stinker for the Wolves.

Can anyone provide me with pros, if any, and cons. I also saw on the scoresheet that MC fought??

Old
03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Buddy23

Quote:
Wasnt able to catch game tonight against Belleville, but I hear it was a stinker for the Wolves.

Can anyone provide me with pros, if any, and cons. I also saw on the scoresheet that MC fought??
You were lucky to miss this. It was ugly to say the least. At this point if they keep playing like this we won't see much of a playoff run!

Thibodeau coughed the puck up early and often and cost us a couple of goals early, that said nobody played well. MC's fight wasn't a fight at all, although he did drop his gloves the officials jumped in early. Good thing too as Cardwell is a tough cookie! Penalty was a 10 minute misconduct which I think pissed him off more than anything.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Whoppy52

Yes, bad game however Belleville is one of the top teams in the O. They have a much more seasoned team. My feelings are that Sudz will not make it much past the first round of the playoffs..let's hope we end up in 6th spot and play vs Oshawa instead of Bramptom. Coach Stan Butler has our number!!!

Old
03-09-2013, 03:21 PM
chewerjones

It may be better to play an offensive type game vs Oshawa then a Neutral trap defence bore of a game with Brampton. However, Oshawa has the deep horses to run up the score and we dont.

Against Brampton, we may get away with a couple of goals, and good goaltending and win. Last year we lost 4 straight to Brampton.

Good thing about finishing 6th is that we will 7th pick overall instead of 8th pick overall. LOL

Old
03-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Squeet

Quote:

Good thing about finishing 6th is that we will 7th pick overall instead of 8th pick overall. LOL
As long as ownership doesn't make Blaine pick another superstar Burgess
He'll probably get hamstrung into picking a D . Drafting a forward would cause #19 to slide down the depth chart a bit. That just won't happen.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Arsenault

I think looking at their back end, they are fine and certainly no 97 D could come in and have an immediate impact. Predict Cummings and Dehann next year will up their game and with the addition of Franzen, McFadden and LeBlanc (McFadden I am still not sold on) they should be fine. Also, going back to training camp, Eccles with his size might be a good addition, assuming he worked on his skating. Did not see him this winter so cannot comment, believe he was playing Junior B or C somewhere around Hamilton.

Sudbury should look at picking up a strong winger or centerman a few of which should still be available around the 8th pick and should be able to make the jump to the O next year. Maybe even a goalie, which could be used for trade bait later in the year or next year. Bottom line is the Wolve have to build up from what is in their camp now, they cannot bank on draft pick. The team already has too much youth did depend on, game in and game out.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Hockeyfriend

They are a very young team. Too many 95's and far too many in their draft year (late birthday 94's. We don't have enough quality 19 year olds - those who wll fill in as quality OA's next season.

IF next season was going to be when they would make a better run at the finals then you will need quality OA's - we have Thibadeau and Raine and Palazzesse - Need to keep Palazzesse and Raine and get another top end.
Our 19 year olds next year include Campagna, Pancel, Corbett, Heuter, Cull, Genovese, Dupuis, Silk - All fit a need, only exception might be Dupuis - is he the guy to back up in finals run or to look at carrying the team the following season.

95's...I believe we could have four 20 plus goal scorers from that age next year.

96's...Cummins and Shmaltz will be good. CB needs more work but will be on the team and will take up a spot.

My belief is that they will need to move a few of the 95's, that they have many of, to get a top OA on D or F...bith are needed. I think that have enough assets and draft picks to get ther other OA position needed. Go with 4 as long as you can...move Thibadeau, our two import draft picks (keeping the tow we have now), a few of the many draft picks we have for 2013 and a couple of the 95's and we could get what we need in both top end scoring forward, a PP quarterback and maybe a back-up goalie (if none in the system).

This would be the wish list, of course, as do not see many top end players coming to Sudbury to finish their OHL careers.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
chewerjones

We should be ok next year.

BS has to get another gritty dman to clear the front of the net, and a puck moving dman. They can do this by trading draft picks and some fringe 95s.

They will also need some depth scoring up front, and preferably a power forward type that can play with Kubalik and Kahun.

Inn this year's draft they will get a quality player, and may make an impact next year, depending on the player. They may be able to take a power forward like Crouse from Elgin Middlesex, or a hign end skilled centre like Speers from Soo area, or a tough dman like Henley from Oakville or Lizotte from Sudbury area. All 3 of these players can make the team, and make a subtle impact to the team.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Chili Pepper

Cross Roads

We are at a cross roads, and the powers to be need to be very aware that we need to become a solid contenders and not pretenders going forward. Sure we love our hockey, but we need to become a force or owneship will see fan support fade regardless of the marketing effort of B.S., and staff . Perennial loosers of the past such as Windsor, Owen Sound, & Niagara, have turned their teams around, and it is amazing how quickly fans forgot the bad years and have rewarded the teams with solid attendance and support. As a season ticket holder for over 25 years(closer to 30), I have become a League Fan, rather than a Team Fan, this has allowed me to go to games and see rising stars that come into our rink, and not be so disapointed when we did not get the W. I am sure that I am not alone in this view as other fans here I believe have become OHL Fans to make that treak to the Arena a pleasant one...It would be nice to see a championship team here, but like the Loto, the odds are not stacked in our favour. So lets enjoy the entertainment and concentrate on seeing at very low price the rising stars of the future.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
I think looking at their back end, they are fine and certainly no 97 D could come in and have an immediate impact. Predict Cummings and Dehann next year will up their game and with the addition of Franzen, McFadden and LeBlanc (McFadden I am still not sold on) they should be fine. Also, going back to training camp, Eccles with his size might be a good addition, assuming he worked on his skating. Did not see him this winter so cannot comment, believe he was playing Junior B or C somewhere around Hamilton.

Sudbury should look at picking up a strong winger or centerman a few of which should still be available around the 8th pick and should be able to make the jump to the O next year. Maybe even a goalie, which could be used for trade bait later in the year or next year. Bottom line is the Wolve have to build up from what is in their camp now, they cannot bank on draft pick. The team already has too much youth did depend on, game in and game out.
Eccles played Junior B with the Stoney Creek Warriors this past season.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Squeet

Eccles didn't seem that outta place. Hope he plays again tonight so we get a two game look at him. For a '12 draft he did just fine as far as last night being his first game against a 1st place team.
Looking at how the OHLcup finished, it looks like dmen could be avoided for most of the 1st round and every team could get a solid forward. Crop looks deep at forward this yr. This draft will set a tone as far as I'm concerned, with returnees and the picks in our pocket...what/who gets picked will tell fans of this team if ownership gives a damn or if Ego and CB are the focus.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:10 PM
chewerjones

It seems like Sudbury is set for Dmen next year, with Corbett, Raine, Cummins, DeHaan, Genovese, Eccles, Prong, McFadden. They may have to pick up a veteran dman via trade just to play it safe.

So, I guess they will be picking a forward and with the 7th spot overall, they may be able to get Korostolev,or Mackenzie or Crouse, whoever is still left. That is a very positive start for next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
It seems like Sudbury is set for Dmen next year, with Corbett, Raine, Cummins, DeHaan, Genovese, Eccles, Prong, McFadden. They may have to pick up a veteran dman via trade just to play it safe.

So, I guess they will be picking a forward and with the 7th spot overall, they may be able to get Korostolev,or Mackenzie or Crouse, whoever is still left. That is a very positive start for next year.
Agree. They may be able to get an elite d-men via trading their import picks (already have two returning) and some of their current 2013 priority draft picks + a few of the 95's that they have an abundance of. BS always says they like to have their players age spread out from 1st year to 4th/5ht year players. ie. 3-4 '95's and 3-4 '94's, etc. Currently they have 7 born '95s.

With what is available to barter with they might be able to gain quality OA's as well with Kantor and Dodero gone.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Agree. They may be able to get an elite d-men via trading their import picks (already have two returning) and some of their current 2013 priority draft picks + a few of the 95's that they have an abundance of. BS always says they like to have their players age spread out from 1st year to 4th/5ht year players. ie. 3-4 '95's and 3-4 '94's, etc. Currently they have 7 born '95s.

With what is available to barter with they might be able to gain quality OA's as well with Kantor and Dodero gone.
Unfortunately while they do have 8 D's signed they still have significant holes at this position. Still missing a strong shut down pair and certainly no puck carrying defenseman. Dodero was their leading scorer both 5 on 5 and on powerplay and was still not a top 40 defenseman in the league in scoring (and was at -23).

In addition this core of D's will include three unproven rookies and two Sophomores which still have to prove they belong in this league, let alone be top 5 material.

Not sure why all these signing at the end of the year but BS must have something up his sleeve.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:27 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Unfortunately while they do have 8 D's signed they still have significant holes at this position. Still missing a strong shut down pair and certainly no puck carrying defenseman. Dodero was their leading scorer both 5 on 5 and on powerplay and was still not a top 40 defenseman in the league in scoring (and was at -23).

In addition this core of D's will include three unproven rookies and two Sophomores which still have to prove they belong in this league, let alone be top 5 material.

Not sure why all these signing at the end of the year but BS must have something up his sleeve.
I'd hope so, realistically, Raine and Corbett are the only two who are locks to be top 4. Cummins, De Haan both have a long way to go before being able to play at that level. At this point I think it's time to move on as far as Prong goes, he's at the point where he's too old to be one of the wolves developing prospects. I have not seen much out of McFadden at this point either. I think Genovese and Eccles could give some much needed grit on a bottom pairing next year however.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:58 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
I'd hope so, realistically, Raine and Corbett are the only two who are locks to be top 4. Cummins, De Haan both have a long way to go before being able to play at that level. At this point I think it's time to move on as far as Prong goes, he's at the point where he's too old to be one of the wolves developing prospects. I have not seen much out of McFadden at this point either. I think Genovese and Eccles could give some much needed grit on a bottom pairing next year however.
Raine and Corbett are definitely the shut down pair, as long as Corbett stays healthy.

DeHaan, Cummins and Genovese should have matured for next year.

Eccles has size and looked ok out there.

Blaine Smith may have some plans to move one or two of their young ones for a 93-94 puck moving dman.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Raine and Corbett are definitely the shut down pair, as long as Corbett stays healthy.

DeHaan, Cummins and Genovese should have matured for next year.

Eccles has size and looked ok out there.

Blaine Smith may have some plans to move one or two of their young ones for a 93-94 puck moving dman.
You can have Trojanovic?

Old
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
You can have Trojanovic?
Not a bad idea.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Squeet

I see nothing wrong with that either lol
We do need more scoring punch, that's fo sure. Hoping we pick up one of the consistant threats that elevated their game at the OHLcup.
I looked at some of the stats for those kids and picking at #5-12 is still gonna generate a nice return for any team... but that's just my opinion.

Closed Thread