HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It comes down to managing assets. Is the potential of Daniel Brière's playoff strength for this season (questionable making the playoffs) and next plus his veteran leadership greater than the potential return (assuming he waives his NMC), the mediocre regular-season play we are seeing, his age-related regression in play plus the added cap space?
I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't necessarily think he should be dealt for peanuts or bought out, but I think he should be shopped. He has slowed in recent years, but his playoffs production is still there. He is also clearly a good leader and helps with the younger guys. I know people like to think that doesn't mean anything, but ask the guys who are living/have lived with him over the years how much that helped their development. I think his value could be higher come deadline time than many people think. A team desparate to make a playoff run (St. Louis, Phoenix) with a lot of youth to spare could overpay. Should be interesting when the deadline approaches. If the Flyers are in the thick of things which I think could go either way, Briere may be staying put regardless of his value/waiving NMC/whatever.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
DrHamburg

vCash: 500
Flyers need to move Briere. If a team like St. Louis comes calling and offers a first or some prospects. If you look at borderline teams in the playoffs or teams that could use Briere with good cap space, Ottawa, Blues, Nashville, Coyotes are teams that could be helped by Briere. Flyers needs to get rid of him. yes he is clutch offensively in the Playoffs but when you get 15 points, but give up 20 because of bad defense that isn't good. He was awful in the Devils series last season just completely useless. The fact is we need the cap space and if you get assets for Briere then its a plus. We got 5 1/2 seasons out of him then picks and prospects would be tremendous value.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Because you only see one end of the ice.
Oh you mean I used offensive stats to support an arguement that an offensive player is doing his job well? At any one time that Danny is on the ice so are 5 other guys. You are going to try to tell me that he by himself is the cause of all of our defensive woes?

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:18 PM
BillDineen

My issue with Briere is his last season. Flyers will have major resignings the summer before and the UFA crops that summer is also potentially stacked.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Dont know if it was posted but a VERY GOOD READ on Danny.

http://thehockeyguys.net/danny-brier...ward-position/

Goes through both a perspective and statistic side (including how his "playoff mode" both hurts and helps the Flyers)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Briere has been disappointing this year, but he's not the biggest issue on this teams offence.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
PALE PWNR

There are 8 active players who are over a PPG in the playoffs.

Martin St. Louis 5.625
Patrick Kane 6.3
Alex Ovechkin 9.538
Sidney Crosby 8.7
Evgeni Malkin 8.7
Claude Giroux 3.75
Daniel Briere 6.5
Jaromir Jagr 4.55

Average Cap hit of a PPG player in the playoff's is 6.7 million

Old
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Playoff GWG (Active)
1. J. Jagr (16)
2. D. Briere (13)

Playoff Points (Active)
1. J. Jagr (189)
2. P. Elias (125)
3. C. Pronger (121)
4. D. Briere (109)

He's not even top 20 for GP in playoffs either. He scores when it counts and is most dangerous when its on the line. That's all I need to know. The eye test tells me he is the definition of clutch.
Sure, from a fantasy hockey point of view he looks great. I'd rather compare the points he gets to the points he gives up because of his defensive play and stick penalties.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Sure, from a fantasy hockey point of view he looks great. I'd rather compare the points he gets to the points he gives up because of his defensive play and stick penalties.
His penalties are actually pretty low this year.

+/- per 60 is a negative, though.

Edit: His GAON/60 relative to his teammates was markedly improved over last year for a while, but in the last week or so it looks like he's dropped back down to normal. I believe I've also seen Lavi playing him at center again. Those two things are likely related.

03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

"clutch" is great in the playoffs .... but that doesn't take into account the goals against he contributes towards.

he didn't even get a "-" last year vs NJ in that clip: he was on the bench by then

R

R

L

D

D

G

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Oh you mean I used offensive stats to support an arguement that an offensive player is doing his job well? At any one time that Danny is on the ice so are 5 other guys. You are going to try to tell me that he by himself is the cause of all of our defensive woes?
I would say a great portion of the defensive woes when Briere is on the ice is caused by Briere. Being out of position, lackadaisical back-checking and just a lack of size to play effective defense. Was every goal ever scored while Briere was on the ice 100% his fault...no. But over the last 2 playoffs, 12 of Briere's 15 goals came at ES and he was still -13, that is pretty telling of the type of defensive effort he is giving. Oh wait, he had 2 GWG over those 2 seasons...playoff beast.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I would say a great portion of the defensive woes when Briere is on the ice is caused by Briere. Being out of position, lackadaisical back-checking and just a lack of size to play effective defense. Was every goal ever scored while Briere was on the ice 100% his fault...no. But over the last 2 playoffs, 12 of Briere's 15 goals came at ES and he was still -13, that is pretty telling of the type of defensive effort he is giving. Oh wait, he had 2 GWG over those 2 seasons...playoff beast.
To quote everyone on here when they don't like what they are seeing...

"But...but...but...+/- is a worthless stat!" (unless it supports my argument)

Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
To quote everyone on here when they don't like what they are seeing...

"But...but...but...+/- is a worthless stat!" (unless it supports my argument)
+/- is only worthless if it's not used carefully. It's an inexact stat. It needs a good amount of context and is pretty pointless for comparing people on different teams.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

-13 last two years of the playoffs. Over 22 games a -13 is telling, whether you like the stat or not.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
If the above stats above are true...yikes. The Flyers need to do something.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
+/- is only worthless if it's not used carefully. It's an inexact stat. It needs a good amount of context and is pretty pointless for comparing people on different teams.
I've got no problem with +/-, I just like to point out these types of things. Haha.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
-13 last two years of the playoffs. Over 22 games a -13 is telling, whether you like the stat or not.
Yeah, a few digits above or below 0 doesn't mean much. -13 while still producing on offense says something.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
should be -14 ...... he lucked out by gliding to the bench just in time to see NJ beat us .....

Old
03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Qyburn

Tears it up offensively -> get rid of him asap because of +/-. Gotcha.

Harts was -12 over that time. And Jagr's and Simmonds' (who weren't here 2 seasons ago) +/- was virtually identical to Briere's last year. But they shouldn't be held to the same standards because they didn't score as many goals? Are you people hearing yourselves?

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:05 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

I like Danny, but his overall play does not justify his 6.5 mill cap hit.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I like Danny, but his overall play does not justify his 6.5 mill cap hit.
That and overall he is getting slower and not as effective. Seriously, people really cant see the difference in his play from say 1-2 years ago to now? He is 35 and not getting younger.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post

Harts was -12 over that time. And Jagr's and Simmonds' (who weren't here 2 seasons ago) +/- was virtually identical to Briere's last year. But they shouldn't be held to the same standards because they didn't score as many goals? Are you people hearing yourselves?
This is what I don't get those stats only apply to Briere, people use them to tear him down disregard the production he does bring and don't bring up anyone else on the team in the conversation. Like I said 5 other guys are on the ice every time Briere is, yet he is ripped to shreads, and no one talks about the rest of the team, which was terrible in the NJ series and the Boston series the year prior.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Qyburn

I don't have a problem discussing doing something about him. I might even agree. But the overreactions to every little thing are becoming obnoxious. They're so forced I'm starting to think people are hoping someone important is reading the board, and by making enough noise, they can have a real world effect on the situation.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
get rid of him bc hes awful defensively and lazy defensively. throw in the dumb penalties, too & i'd rather get rid of him now

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
get rid of him bc hes awful defensively and lazy defensively. throw in the dumb penalties, too & i'd rather get rid of him now
He doesn't have many penalties this year. 3 minors in 19 games.