HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

you know you're from montreal when

Old
07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Tricolore#20

vCash: 500
This is definitely a cool thread. Can we stop talking about politics however! I understand that Montreal is a political epicentre for some, but this thread could definitely do without. Thanks.

BTW, about poutine, I had my first ever try of poutine yesterday at La Belle Province on St. Catherines. It was pretty damn good! What are the best places for poutine in Montreal?

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
What are the best places for poutine in Montreal?
La Cage aux Sports

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:05 PM
RedArmyMontreal*

Quote:
This is definitely a cool thread. Can we stop talking about politics however! I understand that Montreal is a political epicentre for some, but this thread could definitely do without. Thanks.

BTW, about poutine, I had my first ever try of poutine yesterday at La Belle Province on St. Catherines. It was pretty damn good! What are the best places for poutine in Montreal?
that's one of the most disgusting poutine I ever ate!

I'd give you a few suggestions but I live south of montreal so I can't give you advice of place to eat poutines in montreal that are particulary good.

However, if anyone come close to Beauharnois/Chateauguay/Ste-Martine you definately should try out Chez Grégoire @ Ste-Martine.

Best . Poutine . Ever.

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipos_19 View Post
that's one of the most disgusting poutine I ever ate!

I'd give you a few suggestions but I live south of montreal so I can't give you advice of place to eat poutines in montreal that are particulary good.

However, if anyone come close to Beauharnois/Chateauguay/Ste-Martine you definately should try out Chez Grégoire @ Ste-Martine.

Best . Poutine . Ever.
Well poutine itself is pretty disgusting, no?! My friends and I weren't sure where to go, so we asked a couple of people on Ste. Catherines where the best place was, and they suggested La Belle Province.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:09 PM
RedArmyMontreal*

Quote:
Well poutine itself is pretty disgusting, no?! My friends and I weren't sure where to go, so we asked a couple of people on Ste. Catherines where the best place was, and they suggested La Belle Province.
Kinda surprising, the only place where I ate poutine in Montreal it was at la belle province. And it is dead last from anywhere else I tried out. There's gotta be a better place in downtown, unless my region is that good for poutines

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Im not sure there is any Ashton downton MTL but if you got a chance to go , try it.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:25 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
well that's not exactly true and it's not like Charest is going to get reelected.

well, back on the subject, it's a funny post, let's not go on politics because it will get closed and I will feel bad about it, it was a very good and funny post...
If you can post your political opinion, I guess its only fair I post mine.

Yeah like were gonna elect a crack addict!

That will be all.

Funny post.

And oh yeah...poutine...ashton...hmmmm...with sausages too.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Foreigner asks: you guys always mention poutine, i just check the that receipe from google and i must admit, that looks tasteful? Is it really that good what is look like?
Oh yeah, they're good but you won't be able to make them like they do in Montreal or any other part of Quebec. The secret is using fresh cut fries, blanched once and then refried, using the right cheese (curd), and having the right sauce (gravy).

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:35 PM
RC51

you forgot
you know your a Montrealer when "all doe u cant turn rat on a red lat, u can go rat tru it esty"

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao Kishin View Post
There wouldn't be a Charter if it weren't for Trudeau, you know.
we already had one, it just wasn't in the constitution. It was called the bill of rights. The charter is just a more permanent version.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
we already had one, it just wasn't in the constitution. It was called the bill of rights. The charter is just a more permanent version.
It's not a question of permanence. The charter isn't interpreted the same way

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:44 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Your only concern about jaywalking is getting a ticket.
Who the hell in Montreal is afraid of getting a ticket for jaywalking? I think it's the other way around; we're more afraid that maybe walking across Crescent at 3 am after having had 15 beers when cars are rushing down the street MAY be a little dangerous.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:54 PM
habsfanlondonont

You forgot

Jarry park and the autostad Blue Bonnets and Bill Wongs

habsfanlondonont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
What are the best places for poutine in Montreal?
Go to La Banquise on Rachel St. near the parc Lafontaine they've got something like 25 different poutine

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:00 PM
JayMax

In my experience, the best poutine isn't found in Montreal, much less in fast food chains. You'll find the best poutine in the most obscure, middle-of-nowhere roadside diners or canteens in rural Quebec.

JayMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:01 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
funny post but that thing about Pierre-Eliot Trudeau......... agrrrr. No I'm not proud of this at all.

And of course that's very illocical that we use both imperial and metric systems at the same time.
hummmm.....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:16 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Go to La Banquise on Rachel St. near the parc Lafontaine they've got something like 25 different poutine

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
You must be a Montrealer if...

You pronounce it "Muntreal", not "Mahntreal".

Your only concern about jaywalking is getting a ticket.

You agree that Montreal drivers are crazy, but you're secretly proud of their nerves of steel.

You greet everyone, from lifelong bosom friends to some one you met once a few years ago, with a two-cheek kiss.

Shopper's Drug Mart is Pharmaprix and Staples is Bureau en Gros, and PFK is finger lickin' good.

Everyone on the street - drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists - think they're immortal, and that you'll move first.

You know that Rocket Richard had nothing to do with astrophysics.

You measure temperature and distance in metric, but weight and height in Imperial measure.

You show up at a party at 11 p.m. and no one else is there yet.

You don't drink pop or soda, you drink soft drinks.

You have yet to understand a single announcement made on the Metro PA system, no matter what the language.
I'm not from Montreal but I visited it there in April, those are the ones I still remember from visiting there.

My cousin almost stopped me from jaywalking About the two kiss, I found that when I met my cousins friends, they didn't do the two kiss thing, partly cause they knew in Toronto that people never did that and thought it would be weird for me, but I got used to it.

So true about the party and nobody there at 11. We went to a club at around 12:30. About the soft drink comment, ooh now I can identify Montreal people for sure...at work the customers either say "regular/large coke/sprite" etc etc but those with Montreal accents ALWAYS say soft drinks. Interesting list!

Schenn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
how can you have 25 different poutine?

regular poutine, italian poutine, poutine with chicken, ??????

-------------------------------------------------------------

What is jaywalking???

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
You encounter bilingual homeless people.
At this, I laughed more than I should have

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 07:53 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

I guess a little part of me is from Montreal, since I pronounce it like the people tha tlive there, and the sound of Bob Cole calling a Habs game makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. When will that man learn is Sheldon Souray, not Sheldon Sorry. Oh well, I suppose it goes both ways. I remember when games were on SRC, those guys calling Suchy "sushi." Argh! And whoever it was that called Expos games back in the day on SRC sure mangled names too. I remember thinking as a kid who was just starting to learn French, "Aren't people's names supposed to stay the same?" Oooh but the one that takes the cake is people saying Theodore the English way instead of the French way. Drives me nuts. They get it right in the States, but then they say Jose as if he's Spanish instead of French.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 08:10 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
I guess a little part of me is from Montreal, since I pronounce it like the people tha tlive there, and the sound of Bob Cole calling a Habs game makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. When will that man learn is Sheldon Souray, not Sheldon Sorry. Oh well, I suppose it goes both ways. I remember when games were on SRC, those guys calling Suchy "sushi." Argh! And whoever it was that called Expos games back in the day on SRC sure mangled names too. I remember thinking as a kid who was just starting to learn French, "Aren't people's names supposed to stay the same?" Oooh but the one that takes the cake is people saying Theodore the English way instead of the French way. Drives me nuts. They get it right in the States, but then they say Jose as if he's Spanish instead of French.
How do you pronounce Suchy??

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao Kishin View Post
La Cage aux Sports
ewwwwwww!

La cage aux sports' poutine is far from being the best...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 08:21 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
How do you pronounce Suchy??
RAD-oh-slahv Soo-CHEE

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
how can you have 25 different poutine?

regular poutine, italian poutine, poutine with chicken, ??????
http://montrealpoutine.com/reviews.html

La Banquise 994 Rachel Est

This 24-hr hipster place has been a constant favorite of the reviewer, and for good reason. The number of poutines has grown in time, presently serving 22, including such great names as "T-Rex", "Kamikaze", and B.O.M (Bacon, onions and "merguez", sausages). I've had the small poutine Duotone ($5.00), which had ground beef and sauteed onions. During a more recent visit, the Bacon poutine ($8.00 for a large); recognizing that bacon, like foie gras, makes nearly anything better, this is nonetheless a relatively rare poutine add-in which should be a standard in every poutine loving kitchen. The smoky bacon added musky pork heft to what is already a very pleasant platter, and I highly recommend it. La Banquise is now the best, premier all-around poutine joint in Montreal. They offer the greatest variety, with the most imagination, 24 hours and seven days a week. It is a must-stop for anyone eating poutine in Quebec.

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote