HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 02:30 PM
laundryman

vCash: 500
I think it's far more likely they move Schenn to the wing and put Couturier in the 2nd line center role

Old
03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658503

Quote:
The 2013 NHL Draft Lottery, to be held this year on Monday, April 29, will be the first in NHL history where all 14 clubs not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or the clubs that have acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs, will have a chance at winning the right to the first overall selection. Under the previous lottery system, only the five teams with the fewest points in the standings had the opportunity to win the first overall selection as rules dictated no team could move up more than four spots.
Seems like the new draft rules are in play. Also the WHOLE draft will happen in the same day.

Also we are hosting the 2014 draft

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers will host the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Seems like the new draft rules are in play. Also the WHOLE draft will happen in the same day.

So is the whole draft going to be done by lottery or just the first pick? Like if the Flyers finish 14th from the bottom, are they going to pick at #14 or #1 and nothing in between, or is the top 14 going to be completely randomized (potentially, depending on who draws which sport)?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So is the whole draft going to be done by lottery or just the first pick? Like if the Flyers finish 14th from the bottom, are they going to pick at #14 or #1 and nothing in between, or is the top 14 going to be completely randomized (potentially, depending on who draws which sport)?
I believe it is just 1 lottery pick. Not like basketball where they draw balls for the whole first half of the draft

Old
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Two things I take from this:
1. Good chance we won't be trading our 1st rounder.
2. A guaranteed chance to boo Uncle Gary.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Drouin just jumped ahead of MacKinnon in terms of CSS and ISS scouting services. He's also making a late push to be the top rated player. In terms of the scouting services, there's very little difference between Drouin and Jones right now. They're pretty much at a dead heat in terms of the top rated player. First time in a long time that I remember that two players are essentially top rated. It's all going to depend on a team's need. If it's defense, Jones goes first overall. If it's offense, Drouin goes first. Of note, if the season were to end today, the Flyers would have the 13th overall choice. Some of the players expected to be available at that point include: Alexander Wennberg (Center), Anthony Mantha (Left Wing), Josh Morrissey (Defense), Ryan Pulock (Defense), Adam Erne (Left Wing), Artturi Lehkonen (Left Wing), Frederick Gauthier (Center) and Rasums Ristolainen (Defense).

Old
03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
kicksave27

So philly has the 2014 Draft and the Frozen 4. Going to be a good year for hockey fans.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Drouin just jumped ahead of MacKinnon in terms of CSS and ISS scouting services. He's also making a late push to be the top rated player. In terms of the scouting services, there's very little difference between Drouin and Jones right now. They're pretty much at a dead heat in terms of the top rated player. First time in a long time that I remember that two players are essentially top rated. It's all going to depend on a team's need. If it's defense, Jones goes first overall. If it's offense, Drouin goes first. Of note, if the season were to end today, the Flyers would have the 13th overall choice. Some of the players expected to be available at that point include: Alexander Wennberg (Center), Anthony Mantha (Left Wing), Josh Morrissey (Defense), Ryan Pulock (Defense), Adam Erne (Left Wing), Artturi Lehkonen (Left Wing), Frederick Gauthier (Center) and Rasums Ristolainen (Defense).
As much as like Drouin I would take Jones over him everyday of the week regardless of need. Franchise defensemen are a lot harder to come by than franchise wingers. There's a reason people are saying Jones is the best draft eligible defensemen since Pronger. That's just my opinion though.

It's odd to see Mackinnion drop to 3 compared to where he was last summer.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I thought they announced us getting the draft at last year's draft

Old
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They did. I remember that too

Old
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They did lol

Old
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
As much as like Drouin I would take Jones over him everyday of the week regardless of need. Franchise defensemen are a lot harder to come by than franchise wingers. There's a reason people are saying Jones is the best draft eligible defensemen since Pronger. That's just my opinion though.

It's odd to see Mackinnion drop to 3 compared to where he was last summer.
I totally get what you're saying. At the same time, I look to when Erik Johnson was drafted and scouts were saying the same thing about him (franchise defenseman, all the tools, best draft eligible defenseman since Pronger) and if you look how he's turned out, he's kind of been a disappointment. Defensemen, to me, are starting to become like goaltenders in that nobody really knows how they're going to turn out. Do you have a true number one or are you getting a good top four guy?

With that being said, comparing Jones to Drouin really is an apples and oranges thing. If Columbus is choosing first overall, do they take Jones, where they've got a loaded blue line full of talent, or do they take Drouin, where they really need the offense? It's a very interesting scenario.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I believe it is just 1 lottery pick. Not like basketball where they draw balls for the whole first half of the draft
Word. I think I would like them to do it NBA-style...unless it screwed the Flyers. Then I'd be pissed. Haha.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

With Button's new predictions, he has Pulock at 16. Maybe closer to a Flyers that we first thought? Just... throwing that out there .

Old
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I totally get what you're saying. At the same time, I look to when Erik Johnson was drafted and scouts were saying the same thing about him (franchise defenseman, all the tools, best draft eligible defenseman since Pronger) and if you look how he's turned out, he's kind of been a disappointment. Defensemen, to me, are starting to become like goaltenders in that nobody really knows how they're going to turn out. Do you have a true number one or are you getting a good top four guy?

With that being said, comparing Jones to Drouin really is an apples and oranges thing. If Columbus is choosing first overall, do they take Jones, where they've got a loaded blue line full of talent, or do they take Drouin, where they really need the offense? It's a very interesting scenario.
Yeah I get what you're saying. I do think Jones will fair better than Johnson though.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Two things I take from this:
1. Good chance we won't be trading our 1st rounder.
2. A guaranteed chance to boo Uncle Gary.
If and when Homer's job is on the line, I doubt he gives two 'you know what's' about that pick.

Quote:

Except EJ never did and never will move the way Seth Jones does. I don't think anyone really truly compares to the guy. Not to mention Jones is much more offensively gifted than EJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
With Button's new predictions, he has Pulock at 16. Maybe closer to a Flyers that we first thought? Just... throwing that out there .
Pulock isn't as good as people seem to think. He gets a bit overrated due to his points and more specifically his shot. Definitely could be a useful player in the NHL, but not someone I'd be desperate to get my hands on. I'd much rather take a gamble on the younger, better skating, Josh Morrissey who I would have a better chance at molding into a top pairing defenseman.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
FlyingPhilly

So, according to Button we have no chance at Nurse, but might be able to grab Ristolainan. That is fine with me. He can learn from Kimmo, one Finn to another. Of course, I would love to get Jones or Drouin, but that is just a fantasy.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

How is this Zadorov chap? I am ever the skeptic when it comes to drafting Russians, but at 6'5" 230 some that skepticism could be overcome. I don't know too much about him, so are there any London guys around who can give some insight on the guy? I don't think I have seen him mentioned too much around here.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:27 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
How is this Zadorov chap? I am ever the skeptic when it comes to drafting Russians, but at 6'5" 230 some that skepticism could be overcome. I don't know too much about him, so are there any London guys around who can give some insight on the guy? I don't think I have seen him mentioned too much around here.
Button has him ranked 9th. Krishna loves him and wants the Flyers to get him very bad. Other than that I have no clue, but I am sure BCF16 could tell us since he watches a lot of London games.

Last edited by FlyingPhilly: 03-04-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old
03-04-2013, 07:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The thing about Zadorov is that he kind of reminds me of a Coburn/Bogo/Bouw kind of guy. Can move the puck, physical and can put up about 30 points a year or so. But I still find he's not what we are looking for. We really need a truly good and gifted puck moving d-man, especially one that can QB the PP.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
People have compared him to Coburn. He's pretty raw from what I read about him. He's pretty solid defensively but his offensive game needs work. Has a big shot like most guys his size do.

I've seen some people say his defense is good enough to where he could make the jump to the NHL next year if really needed. But most think he should spend at least one more year in London to round out his game.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Krishna

Do love Zadorov

His comparable would probably be Coburn with more of a mean streak. He's got a huge slap shot as well. He hasn't gotten much PP time since Maatta and Harrington are there but he should get more next season.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The thing about Zadorov is that he kind of reminds me of a Coburn/Bogo/Bouw kind of guy. Can move the puck, physical and can put up about 30 points a year or so. But I still find he's not what we are looking for. We really need a truly good and gifted puck moving d-man, especially one that can QB the PP.
I'd be cool with another Coburn on this team. Assuming we draft somewhere in the middle of the pack, I am looking at Zadorov (assuming your Coburn comparison is accurate), Nurse, or Ristolainen in the first round, then a winger in the second round. I like what I have read about Jacob De La Rose, but I am not so sure he'll be on the board in the second round when the Flyers pick. Big guy who can skate, maybe future Hartnell replacement?

Old
03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Krishna

I'd think Zadorov is going in the top 10 so unless we are there, we aren't going to get him as a middle of the pack team.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Krishna

Quote:
People have compared him to Coburn. He's pretty raw from what I read about him. He's pretty solid defensively but his offensive game needs work. Has a big shot like most guys his size do.

I've seen some people say his defense is good enough to where he could make the jump to the NHL next year if really needed. But most think he should spend at least one more year in London to round out his game.
Oh god no. Let him stay in the OHL for another year or so to let him work on his offense

Closed Thread