HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign F Taylor Peters of the Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

Old
03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Nullus Reverentia

vCash: 500
Why can't we sign overager centers with top six forward potential like Anaheim just did with Charlie Sarault.

We don't need another grinder prospect.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
That... and who do we have as AHL centers next year?

Toby and Sceviour? Morin is a UFA, Glennie is for all intents and purposes dead to us.
Yep Texas is looking pretty thin at center for next season, especially if Sceviour ends up replacing Fiddler or Nystrom.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

If we end up being really thin at center I'd imagine the Chiasson experiment might have a chance to cover that issue. Has anybody who watches the T-Stars regularly got any input about Chiasson's potential to play center?

Also, Morin is a career AHL guy, the chances are pretty good that he re-signs with Texas if they have a need for him. I wouldn't consider him gone just because his contract is up.

Edit: Forgot about Winkler...what's the situation with him?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Because the system is over-flowing with them? Aside from G. Smith, who has decent upside himself, which center prospects are of the distinctly grinding/checking variety?

Old
03-04-2013, 06:04 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why can't we sign overager centers with top six forward potential like Anaheim just did with Charlie Sarault.

Because we have more than enough of these guys in the system already?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Edit: Forgot about Winkler...what's the situation with him?
Playing well now that he's injury free. I would guess he gets a contract, probably utility type guy like A.Smith, C.Sceviour, etc. at the pro level. I mean, if the organization is willing to sign Ondrej Roman, Michael Neal and Jace Coyle, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't give Winkler a couple years to try it out...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Because we have more than enough of these guys in the system already?
What? We have like three legitimate top 6 prospects in the AHL right now. I don't see us adding anymore next season. In our system we have two guys (Faksa and Stransky) who will be and plenty of others who could go either way but will probably lean to being bottom 6 guys if the rule of averages prevails.

Now we add another who; while he may end up being an NHLer, will not be a top 6 forward. And remember, bottom six players aren't exactly anymore likely to pan out then top six.

Quote:
Because the system is over-flowing with them? Aside from G. Smith, who has decent upside himself, which center prospects are of the distinctly grinding/checking variety?
What makes this guy have decent upside? He might, but let's not act like we're going to get lucky and get another Fraser or Dillon. This move is organizational depth, hoping he'll eventually turn into a tradeable asset or a bottom line player.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:21 PM
BigG44

Signed right now for center depth in the NHL: Benn; Roy*, Eakin, Fiddler, Roussel (will likely play wing, but probably the injury replacement center as well).

*Until we hear otherwise, it's probably safe to assume Roy will be in the mix. If he's signed, that's all the center depth they need for the NHL. There just seems to be motivation from both sides. If it doesn't happen you obviously have to consider adding another center. Because Eakin could handle Top 6 minutes, you don't necessarily have to add a Top 6 center though.

Signed for minors: Petersen, Peters (Glennie has predominantly played wing)

Probably re-signed: Sceviour

Potential signings: Re-sign Morin, Give Dowling an ELC, Give Winkler an ELC

If I had to guess, they give contracts to Dowling, Sceviour, and Winkler. I thought contracts would possibly be too tight to sign both Morin and Dowling before they gave Peters a contract. Now that he's in the mix, it seems even less likely they can afford the luxury of both on NHL contracts. You could always risk not giving Dowling an ELC, but he's honestly played too well IMO to not expect someone to try and get him signed to a deal. Morin still looks like a top AHL center option so I'd probably expect him to get a two-way contract as well if Dallas doesn't offer. I doubt they'd be able to just get him signed to a contract with Texas.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
BigG44

Found this quote out of Portland:

Quote:
"Taylor is one of the hardest-working players we've seen here with the Winterhawks, and he's incredibly deserving of this contract," said Winterhawks Acting Head Coach Travis Green. "Taylor is a versatile player who can play in all situations. He's one of our most valuable players on the ice and an important voice among our leadership group off the ice."
Didn't notice earlier ... he's a right shot so that will be helpful on faceoffs. Dallas doesn't have a right shot center under contract. Winkler would be another if they sign him, and Chiasson is a right shot winger who excels on faceoffs obviously already under contract.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
What makes this guy have decent upside? He might, but let's not act like we're going to get lucky and get another Fraser or Dillon. This move is organizational depth, hoping he'll eventually turn into a tradeable asset or a bottom line player.
I never said this guy has decent upside, I was talking about G. Smith. My point is if he can play a Fiddler type role, even scoring less, that is a very useful role to fill. Not every grinder needs to be a failed top 6 center. This is the type of guy who won't question his role and knows what is expected of him.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:40 PM
BigG44

He's probably not a right shot. I was on Elite Prospects and it listed him as a right shot ... should have known better.

WHL lists him as a left shot.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoahNow View Post
We shouldn't expect every free agent signing out of the WHL to turn out like Dillon and Fraser.
Yeahhhhh there was sarcasm in that post.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
Hopefully he's good for the Texas Stars, I need some entertaining hockey to watch down here

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Yeahhhhh there was sarcasm in that post.
I didn't get the sarcasm. Maybe if Dillon and Fraser were busts...

Old
03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
BigG44

Scouting report from the beat writer in Portland:

Quote:
Paul Buker ‏@Pnbuker

On Peters. Glue player. Not as skilled as a Brenden Morrow but gritty. Kills pens, first-rate def. player, will get his nose bloody
... and a freelance writer from Portland:

Quote:
Scott Sepich ‏@SSepich

Great faceoff guy, great defensive/checking forward, won't score many goals at the next level.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
BigG44

I just remembered ... Sceviour only plays center in a pinch. He's mostly played on wing since going pro. I'm not familiar enough with his WHL career to say where he played. Re-signing Morin and Dowling would be helpful honestly. Peters replaces Roussel and Dowling essentially replaces Eakin in the AHL.

If you make some easy assumptions that Roy is signed and Jagr, Morrow, and Nystrom are not resigned, and I'm not being too strict with potential forward groups:

F (13):
Chiasson/Fraser-Benn-Eriksson
Whitney-Roy-Cole
Roussel-Eakin-Smith
Garbutt-Fiddler-Vincour/Sceviour
Vincour/Sceviour

D (7): Including Benn and Oleksiak

G (2): Lehtonen, Bachman/Nilstorp

F (10):
Chiasson/Fraser-Morin-Richie
Hedden-Dowling-Stransky
Wathier-Petersen-Glennie
Gazdic-Peters-Vause

D (7): Fortunus, Jokipakka, Klingberg, Nemeth, Sneep, Vance/Labrie, Baldwin

G (2): Jack Campbell, Tyler Beskorowany

ECHL (5): Lagace, King, A. Smith, Winkler, Vance/Labrie

Europe (1): Molin

That's only 47 contracts so it could work. You'd have to hope that another NHL team didn't swoop in on Hedden and/or Vause. That also allows for only one open Top 9 spot for a young forward. That'll provide for some excellent competition in camp between Chiasson, Fraser, Ritchie, and Stransky.

I'd still like to see them sign William Wrenn. He would only be the 48th contract, and that would create some competition between Wrenn, Vance, and Labrie.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
I didn't get the sarcasm. Maybe if Dillon and Fraser were busts...
Let's be honest here... Do people honestly think we can expect all of our undrafted players to be great players like those two? No. Do we have luck with them? Yeah.

It's kind of like the coveted 5th round pick. I'll be sure to include next time.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Pretty slick goal. Takes a lot of confidence to do that.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

^^ Looks exactly like the goal Reilly scored in Vancouver.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Let's be honest here... Do people honestly think we can expect all of our undrafted players to be great players like those two? No. Do we have luck with them? Yeah.

It's kind of like the coveted 5th round pick. I'll be sure to include next time.
Not trying to get in your crosshairs here but you called him a potential stud and then referenced two other guys, both of whom have legitimate potential of being (relatively) studly. There wasn't anything sarcastic about what you said unless you don't think much of Dillon or Fraser, which I know isn't true. Otherwise I think the word you were looking for is "exaggerating."

I, for one, expect all of our undrafted players to not only end up as NHL regulars but to be first line/top pairing players.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Luck with the North American ones.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Captain Awesome

First line/stop pairing? Please. If this guy turns into anything short of Steven Stamkos I'll stop being a Stars fan altogether.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
First line/stop pairing? Please. If this guy turns into anything short of Steven Stamkos I'll stop being a Stars fan altogether.
I was perhaps setting the bar a tad low.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
What? We have like three legitimate top 6 prospects in the AHL right now. I don't see us adding anymore next season. In our system we have two guys (Faksa and Stransky) who will be and plenty of others who could go either way but will probably lean to being bottom 6 guys if the rule of averages prevails.

Now we add another who; while he may end up being an NHLer, will not be a top 6 forward. And remember, bottom six players aren't exactly anymore likely to pan out then top six.
Well, we have Benn and Eriksson who are both top line players. Roy, if he becomes a long term asset, fills your top 6 centers right there. Eakin and Faksa both look to have top 6 potential, so I'd say we're pretty well set down the middle in the top 6. On the wing, Eriksson (as I said before) and R. Smith from the NHL have top 6 potential; Chiasson and Fraser from the AHL; Stransky and Ritchie from below all look to have top 6 wing potential. Guptill and Vincour too, but both are long shots at this point.

Obviously, if there's a player with top 6 potential available, you'd like to add him, especially for nothing. But you can't build a team around all skill guys, and you won't find enough guys like Eriksson to fill out a team.

Nothing wrong with this signing at all.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Not trying to get in your crosshairs here but you called him a potential stud and then referenced two other guys, both of whom have legitimate potential of being (relatively) studly. There wasn't anything sarcastic about what you said unless you don't think much of Dillon or Fraser, which I know isn't true. Otherwise I think the word you were looking for is "exaggerating."

I, for one, expect all of our undrafted players to not only end up as NHL regulars but to be first line/top pairing players.
We're on the same page.