HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: The Sid, Fleury, & Geno Show (Pens vs. Lightning)

Old
03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
plaidchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
what sucks is that almost nobody on HFBoards outside of Pens fans give him any credit and they STILL insist he's overrated.
Yeap they heard he sucked last playoffs on ESPN so of course it must be true.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Hobodrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeah doesn't matter kinda sucks he doesn't get any respect though.
I'm not a Fleury hater but some of the lack of respect may stem from some of his consistency issues. Last years playoffs really made him look bad here and around the league.

Hobodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFan68

I thought Orpik had a better game. Even the goal that Stamkos was wide open, Orpik took his man and Engo (and dupuis?) both went to one guy leaving Stamkos open.

TK finally was at least noticeable. Had a couple decent shots, and created a few chances offesnively for the first time this season maybe.

I'm really liking seeing Eaton out there. I'm not saying he's amazing, but he's a solid presence we need back there in the playoffs.

Our 3/4 lines are pretty unnoticeable. Guess that's good as there weren't many glaring mistakes, but they really are just flat out unnoticed being out there.

Despres had a couple boneheaded plays, but then makes up for them with some nice plays. Just hope DB doesn't sit him for the few mistakes.

PensFan68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yep but there is something to be said for a guy who just finds a way to finish. he has that knack, can't take it away from him. I agree that his two look like garbage and Sid's looked like plays of the night, but at the end of the game the scoresheet still shows two points each.

Personally, I will take the guy who can dish it to everyone and make the whole team better.
this. not that Stamkos is bad, because he's a pure finisher, but it's interesting that the Lightning are doing everything in their power to get Stamkos points. it's like that's their main focus.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
.... which makes it all the more sensational/worrying how many good chances they had to score.
I think you need to watch other teams play more often if you think Tampa Bay had more good scoring chances than most teams generate on average. That's not even taking into account that Tampa Bay is the highest scoring team in the league.

This has been going on back to the MT days. Fleury makes a few good saves, and it's OMG WE COULD'VE GIVEN UP 8 IF FLEURY DIDN'T STAND ON HIS HEAD. Christ, goalies have a tremendous advantage over the shooter on practically every scoring opportunity. It is not a fluke that the majority of scoring chances are blocked, saved, or miss the net.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
7 out of the last 8 games we have given up 3 goals or more. That trend needed to stop a while ago.
Two of them were lame, pokey little goals. Defensively we mainly had them reverting to point shots all game and they had few serious chances.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yep but there is something to be said for a guy who just finds a way to finish. he has that knack, can't take it away from him. I agree that his two look like garbage and Sid's looked like plays of the night, but at the end of the game the scoresheet still shows two points each.

Personally, I will take the guy who can dish it to everyone and make the whole team better.
Yea, this is the difference between Stamkos and Ovechkin imo. Stamkos is going to the dirty areas and finishing the garbage. There's nothing wrong with that.

Crosby and Geno were beasts tonight. Score sheet does not do their work tonight justice.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SidTheKid8787

You see spurts of how it's supposed to work but theres alot of play where it's just terribad.

One thing is for certain. This teams past strength is now it's weakness and that is the bottom 6. Cooke and Dupuis should be there to beef that up. Like Kirk says, we need 2 top six wingers. That beefs up our bottom six and makes us not only an offensive force but tougher to play against when you can throw out bottom six lines who can actually stop the opponents top scorers at the end of periods.

I'm not confident going into the post season with TK, Jeffrey, Glass in our bottom six.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Stamkos is a helluva player, and absolutely the best goal-scorer in the league. But it should be obvious to anyone who knows the game that he's really not on Sid's level - you don't hear Stamkos' name much until he snipes. Which is admittedly pretty often, haha.

Tonight's game was representative of both players, I thought.
I agree. Even though I'm not a Pens fan (I usually jump on your bandwagon though come playoff time as the Leafs haven't been in it in so long), I'm very happy to see Sid back to his old self. Was very worried given his concussion problems. He truly is the best player in the league but Stamkos ain't bad either. Can't wait to see Sid dishing the puck to Stamkos in Sochi.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

Every single time Sutter is on the ice and the puck is shot, he ends up right on top of the goalie. I love it.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

+ Sid.

+ Geno. Nothing to say about these two that isn't already obvious.

+ Adams. Played feisty all night, finished all his checks and never passed up an opportunity to give Vic Hedman a little extra on the bodycheck. Team player.

+ Kunitz. Quite a roll he's on. Granted, Sid made the play he scored on, but Kunitz was smart enough to expect a pass to come through that much coverage. That, more than anything, is why he's lasted longer than anyone on that line. But just in general, just a smart, versatile, swiss army knife of a winger.

+ Stamkos. I know he's not a Penguin, but I'm still marveling at how he can whack a puck that's floating next to Fleury's far-side ear without bludgeoning Flower in the damned face.

~ Chinese fire drill at times in our own zone. However, the forwards not named Sid weren't rubber banded to the blue line and were able to help out. Even saw Neal below the hash marks once, which makes for the first time in a long while.

----- Orpik. This isn't even for how brutal he was (and he was terrible). This is for selfishness.

Orpik takes a clean check to the chest behind the net at the end of a shift and lays there waiting for a whistle, likely because he's tired and doesn't feel like skating hard to the bench. Steve Walkom, who is one of the few referees that has any concept of what he's doing this year, rightly judges that Orpik is perfectly capable of getting to the bench and chooses not to blow the whistle because there's a rush the other way. Orpik gets up and skates halfway across the ice to Walkom, proving him right.

Malkin then scores. Orpik starts yelling in Walkom's ear about this sequence of events.

Talk about selfishness. Walkom's competence was what allowed your teammate to tie the game. But you can't see past your own stuff, can you Brooks? This guy has a rep as a team player, but this behavior is the exact opposite of team play.

If I'm Ray Shero, I don't want anyone who thinks like this on my team.

All in all, I'd have been happier with this game if we'd have lost it than I was with the Montreal game we won.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Two of them were lame, pokey little goals. Defensively we mainly had them reverting to point shots all game and they had few serious chances.
And the third deflected off a stick, a players face, and fluttered over Fleury.

Get To Our Game is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
WarriorScholar

You will see hardly any people who claim stamkos is better or on same level as Crosby. Which truly says a lot considering goal scorers are always favored over others. Everyone knows the difference between Crosby and stamkos , it's been discussed many times on the main board.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Tampa barely generated anything all game, we didn't take any foolish penalties, and overall played a very good game.

But it's not still good enough for some people. See what you want to see, I guess.
Agreed. I can't hardly think of a single good scoring opportunity that Tampa had after the Pens took the lead. Not a single one.

Pens were the much better team and themselves should have been up by a few goals were it not for two goal posts, a puck sitting on the line, Neal missing an open net, and a Tampa goal literally going off someone's face.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

- Our Game? What is it? We look like we run around and try to out skill teams. There is no reasoning for anything. We don't support the puck. We don't forecheck hard. We stand around in our d-zone. I just hate the way the Pens are playing right now. It's fun to win games but I don't believe for one bit this team can win the Cup. Unless some big changes happen and the players completely buy in - I can't think we will make it far playing this style. It's just ugly.

- Brook Orpik: If he's a man of his word and wants to be a leader, then he needs to watch that tape and point the finger at himself. His play is so bad. I hate seeing this guy play so poorly, but he's every bit as bad as Martin's worst hockey in Pittsburgh. In fact, it's probably worse. He's complete garbage. Awful game.
I disagreed with you earlier about their performance at that point in the night but I agree with how you phrase it here. There is a way to take advantage of our top end skill and play disciplined defense, but they have not been able to strike that balance.

I don't know what to think about Orpik. People used to get on his case when he was playing all right but not lighting people up, but the last 2-3 weeks I'm not sure what he's doing out there sometimes. He gets the puck in space down low and just hangs on to it until someone skates over to oppose him. It makes no sense. He's MIA in front of the net on some goals too.

I give a minus to Neal. Honest to god I forgot about him for about half the game.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
And the third deflected off a stick, a players face, and fluttered over Fleury.
That's what I was talking about. The second and third goals were from chancy little bounces. Two of the three.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
NewAgeOutlaw

Regarding the bottom six: The only thing separating the bottom six from performing as they should is Kennedy picking it up, and Glass learning how to hit once again. I believe Kennedy is just having a bad stretch, and I sure hope Glass stops playing so softly, but there are in house solutions to this team's problems. As for the defense, Orpik and Letang making about a dozen turnovers in their own zone every game might have something to do with their current deficiencies.

NewAgeOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Stamkos is a helluva player, and absolutely the best goal-scorer in the league. But it should be obvious to anyone who knows the game that he's really not on Sid's level - you don't hear Stamkos' name much until he snipes. Which is admittedly pretty often, haha.

Tonight's game was representative of both players, I thought.
I'll take Tavares.

+ Sid and Malkin controled this game. Showed a lot of danger for 60 mins.
+ Niskanen and Eaton... I was happy PM kept mentioning them because were pretty awesome.
+ Aside from the icing at the end I thought Adams played a great game and usually does. The garbage he gets on these boards is beyond retarded.
+ Kunitz... maybe the most under rated player in the league. He does so much out there.
+ Letang... Good game for Tanger even though I think he could play better.
+ I thought this was one of the better games of the season. I throw out the Rangers games because they are just downright stupid against the long pass.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Shouldn't the last goal technically been a high sticking penalty to Stammer? Didn't he hit MAF in the head with his stick?

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Who did Sid play with since Geno returned?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
You will see hardly any people who claim stamkos is better or on same level as Crosby. Which truly says a lot considering goal scorers are always favored over others. Everyone knows the difference between Crosby and stamkos , it's been discussed many times on the main board.
Now if it was Malkin, i think they may take Stamkos more instead just because he can score 60 and is cheaper.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
That's what I was talking about. The second and third goals were from chancy little bounces.
Ah, my mistake, thought you were talking about the first which was another 2-footer. Not to take away from it, it was a nice goal.

Anyway, I agree. The 3 GA is a little misleading, especially if it's used as a stat to critique Fleury or the defense.

Get To Our Game is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
volcom

++++ Geno: He was flying tonight, scored an amazing goal, total team player by giving neal that en ( neal still has a shot at the rocket)

volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

+ * 71 Geno you are the best. "I'm score... not pass to Cooke... little bit, bad hands." Two all-world highlight reel goals against TB in two seasons. Well done and welcome back! We all breathed a big sign of relief tonight.

+ Letang is better when offensively assertive. Glad to see that kick back into gear the last two games. Missed two goals by an inch as well.

+ Elmer is powerful.

+ Sutter finally coming out of his shell offensively. Quicker moves and better hands than Staal: confirmed. Not better overall necessarily but offensively he should help that third line. Unless you're a chest-sniper.

+ Sid is Sid.

+ Kunitz and Dupuis ... Herb said it best. "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." Somehow, these two guys are the right ones for Sid. Go get Kuly to play Kunitz's role on Geno's line and we're set. I'd rather spend the big tag on better D than a winger at this point.

= Neal is trying out there to make things happen without the puck, but he's not quick enough to to get to the puck most times when trying to prevent the other player from skating it out of their zone, etc. Still think power skating instructor all summer is the best thing he could do for himself. Imagine Neal a bit quicker and better on his edges... could hang onto the puck better in traffic, find those empty spaces quicker, forecheck and backcheck better. Gary needs to open a power skating school.

- Orpik... I repeat, time for a trade. While we still can. And I was really hoping he'd go back out there and flatten someone after Vinny hit him. Age has caught up with Orpik, and earlier than most.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

+ to Orpik for not staying down on the ice when he got hit on his ass, so Malkin could score the goal without the refs blowing the whistle for an injured player.

roready is offline   Reply With Quote