HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Perry to Pittsburgh (if he doesn't want to re-sign w/ Ducks)

Old
03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Perry to Pittsburgh (if he doesn't want to re-sign w/ Ducks)

If Perry chooses not to re-sign with the Ducks, and the org decides it would be better to move him for a good return rather than keep him for one last run, here's my deal:

Perry

for

Kunitz, Maatta, 2013 1st

Pens get their big, elite RH RW. The Ducks get a great complementary scoring wing to help with a run this year (and signed through next), a quality two-way defense prospect, and a 1st in what's projected to be a deep draft at the top end.

Thoughts?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

So half your salary will be taken up by 4 players??

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Bros Pizza View Post
Yes.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
It always makes me laugh when people recite this mistaken assumption. When a simple looking at the standings and team cap hits year in and year out tells you this is EXACTLY how teams win. The article is a couple years old, but the point remains relevant:

Winning In the Salary Cap Era: Quality Over Quantity

The Penguins offseason is not even two weeks old, and discussions about trading Malkin -- or listening to offers -- have been in the headlines almost non-stop. This, of course, is nothing new. The idea of listening to offers for Malkin, and, yes, even Sidney Crosby, has been brought up numerous times over the past two years. (You can read some of the many examples by clicking here, here, here, here, here and here -- there's more, of course, just Google the words: Trade, Evgeni, Malkin).

The common theme: the salary cap. The perception seems to be that a team can't commit such large chunks of money to so few players and still build a competitive team in the salary cap era. In reality, the opposite appears to be true. Successful teams in the NHL all have this in common: they have nearly half (or more than half) of their allotted salary cap space (this year, $56.8 million) tied up in just five players.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/wi...over-quantity/

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:09 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
When he made the proposal, don't you think he would have thought it through? I know there are stupid proposals around here that don't make sense but I am sure by looking at the user, you can tell he's not a troll. Rowdy, just edit the OP with a note saying to all fans of other teams to stop worrying about the salary cap.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

As for the trade itself, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Iggy trades we keep seeing people bring up. Assuming Perry signs long term with Pittsburgh. Giving up assets for a long term solution on wing for Crosby makes sense, for a rental not at all.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:11 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If Perry chooses not to re-sign with the Ducks, and the org decides it would be better to move him for a good return rather than keep him for one last run, here's my deal:

Perry

for

Kunitz, Maatta, 2013 1st

Pens get their big, elite RH RW. The Ducks get a great complementary scoring wing to help with a run this year (and signed through next), a quality two-way defense prospect, and a 1st in what's projected to be a deep draft at the top end.

Thoughts?
i think the Ducks want more than that, despite Kunitz being 3rd in scoring right now. a lot of that is attributed to the Crosby factor.

would i do it? absolutely, as a Pens fan. would the Ducks do it? most likely not.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:11 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As for the trade itself, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Iggy trades we keep seeing people bring up. Assuming Perry signs long term with Pittsburgh. Giving up assets for a long term solution on wing for Crosby makes sense, for a rental not at all.
Yeah makes alot of sense for Pittsburgh, unfortunately not for Anaheim

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I definitely would be disappointed if Iggy came here through a trade. I just don't want this situation all over again in 2 years.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
chilly98

vCash: 1237
If I'm trading for a winger for the pens, I rather we get someone without losing Kunitz to be honest. If that's the cost for a year of Perry, I personally wouldn't do it. Rather go for someone cheaper like Stewart or Tanguay.

chilly98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i think the Ducks want more than that, despite Kunitz being 3rd in scoring right now. a lot of that is attributed to the Crosby factor.

would i do it? absolutely, as a Pens fan. would the Ducks do it? most likely not.
I would do something like:

Kunitz + Maatta + Despres + 1st + Kennedy if we know for sure Perry will resign with us.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
66-29-33

Perry would kill our depth untill the cap goes up some, but i guess with Perry, Neal, Malkin, BB, Crosby who would care for a while? We would have to hope our rookies pan out and become pretty good for us, we will need cheap contracts. Bye Cooke, Dupuis, TK (thankfully). Perhaps Letang would have to get dealt too.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:16 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Kunitz makes no sense for anaheim

Old
03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Perry

for

Kunitz, Maatta, 2013 1st

Thoughts?
Shero needs to acquire a top six winger without giving up one, right? Why trade Kunitz, a first and a D prospect, when you will have to use more trade assets to get another top six winger.

I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with Corey Perry at all. Makes perfect sense except he is going to be a UFA; can bolt after the season and would cost alot of money to resign. This is an easy pass.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:20 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
I would do something like:

Kunitz + Maatta + Despres + 1st + Kennedy if we know for sure Perry will resign with us.
But, you have no clue if he would resign, so ...

Old
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

I'd rather simply go after him in Free Agency than give up Kunitz. The chances are slim that we outbid everyone else, but the much safer route. I know the reward is tremendous if we trade for Perry and then he signs long-term. But if he wasn't set on testing the market, he wouldn't be available anyway. Then imagine trading for him, trading Kunitz away, then he leaves for another team in Free Agency. We will then have 3 holes to fill at wing next year (2 depending on Beau's progression). Just not a smart trade to do from a long-term standpoint, though I understand Perry is the one player worth risking it all for. With that said, Anaheim has much more reason to say no.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Kunitz makes no sense for anaheim
If the Ducks decide dealing Perry is in the best interest of the team long-term and still want to make a run in the short-term, I'm not sure how you can take that position.

Please, explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Shero needs to acquire a top six winger without giving up one, right? Why trade Kunitz, a first and a D prospect, when you will have to use more trade assets to get another top six winger.

I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with Corey Perry at all. Makes perfect sense except he is going to be a UFA; can bolt after the season and would cost alot of money to resign. This is an easy pass.
Because Perry is the best winger they could possibly acquire - capable of creating offense on his own at an elite level - and fits their needs (young, RH shot) perfectly.

If a deal were made, I'm sure the idea of Perry re-signing would be explored thoroughly beforehand.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't see the Pens trading Kunitz. You're subtracting a lot of production moving him. I know you'd be adding a lot with Perry but still. I don't think Shero would do it and Anaheim probably wouldn't either.

It would give Anaheim a productive winger for this year and next to keep pushing forward toward the playoffs and two good assets for down the road though. Beats getting nothing if you're 100% convinced he's skipping town when he hits UFA.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
If the Ducks decide dealing Perry is in the best interest of the team long-term and still want to make a run in the short-term, I'm not sure how you can take that position.

Please, explain.

Because Perry is the best winger they could possibly acquire - capable of creating offense on his own at an elite level - and fits their needs (young, RH shot) perfectly.

If a deal were made, I'm sure the idea of Perry re-signing would be explored thoroughly beforehand.
34 years old that's how i take this position, exchanging a 27 year old for a 34 year old is not gonna happen

Old
03-04-2013, 11:33 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Please, explain.

Again, you are going to have to then trade more D prospects to get another top six forward. Pass on Perry if you have to trade a top six winger to acquire him as a rental. Besides, there is somewhat of a chemistry thing between Kunitz and Sid. How many goals does Kunitz have right now - please remind me.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
matt1396

I'm hoping for two things for a potential Perry to Pittsburgh trade. 1.) we fleece them like we did with Atlanta in the Hossa trade (at the time I don't think it was viewed as a complete fleece but looking back at it Hossa got traded for scraps and Dupuis was worthless at the time but is now a solid top 6 winger) 2.) If Perry does resign (by way of pre negotiating with permission from Anaheim) then i'd be willing to include Beau Bennett in a deal with him. Yes I know he is cheap labour, and he is a good prospect and we have to resign Malkin and Letang next season but other contracts are coming off the books and players can be bought out. So if im Shero and Perry is willing to sign longterm then i'd offer up Bennett+1st+Maatta for him, hell Anaheim can have TK for free

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
34 years old that's how i take this position, exchanging a 27 year old for a 34 year old is not gonna happen
That really has nothing to do with it. Kunitz represents the best possible acquisition for a run in the present, and Maatta and the 1st represent the future.

Kunitz will be a productive, effective player through his contract, and the Ducks won't be getting a better player in a package for a UFA - even one as good as Perry.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Again, you are going to have to then trade more D prospects to get another top six forward. Pass on Perry if you have to trade a top six winger to acquire him as a rental. Besides, there is somewhat of a chemistry thing between Kunitz and Sid. How many goals does Kunitz have right now - please remind me.
You really don't.

Dupuis - Crosby - Perry
Bennett/whoever - Malkin - Neal

Voila.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't see the Pens trading Kunitz. You're subtracting a lot of production moving him. I know you'd be adding a lot with Perry but still. I don't think Shero would do it and Anaheim probably wouldn't either.

It would give Anaheim a productive winger for this year and next to keep pushing forward toward the playoffs and two good assets for down the road though. Beats getting nothing if you're 100% convinced he's skipping town when he hits UFA.
Anaheim would be retaining Perry if they believed they could make one last run. Even if he left a few weeks later, the Cup would make it worth it.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
That really has nothing to do with it. Kunitz represents the best possible acquisition for a run in the present, and Maatta and the 1st represent the future.

Kunitz will be a productive, effective player through his contract, and the Ducks won't be getting a better player in a package for a UFA - even one as good as Perry.
No he doesn't, Kunitz is playing over his head right now, ANA already have 2 old forwards, and don't need a 3rd. I like how you already know all the trade offers we have gotten, and assume Kunitz is the best possible fit we can get