HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gross Misconducts - Against Referees

Old
03-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Gross Misconducts - Against Referees

Okay, loads of player on player cases of complete lunacy, loss of life & limb, from the Ace Bailey incident to Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore, but this threads parameters dealing only with player or Coaching incidents whereby a Referee and or Linesman were targeted.

We can rank them if so inclined, so I'll start with an early incident, Billy Coutu, then with Boston, who had earlier been acquired from Montreal. By way of background, in his very first practice with the Bruins, he absolutely smokes new team mate and previous arch enemy Eddie Shore into the boards, delivering a Glaswegian Handshake (head butt) to Eddies noggin, severing his ear in the process.

Staggering from clinic to clinic with his ear in his pocket, several Doctors recommending amputation of what little was left, finally finds someone willing to sew it back on, and without aid of anesthetic and watching from a hand held mirror, instructs the doctor as to how it should be done. Shore claimed it was done deliberately, Billy using his stick, but later recanted.

Later on, one ugly night in 1927 during the Bruins run for the Stanley Cup, Wild Billy strikes again. Supposedly on the orders of then Coach/GM Art Ross, Coutu instigated a bench clearing brawl, assaulting Referee Jerry Laflamme, then just for good measure, tackles Linesman Billy Bell & puts him in a choke hold, very nearly causing suffocation.

Frank Calder, the NHL's first President bans Coutu for life from the NHL, the first & last time so harsh a punishments been rendered, however, softened it just enough to permit him to play in the minors from whence he eventually retired. There is of course the notorious Richard Riots, #9 Suspended for clocking a Ref, but so too plenty of lesser known and highly entertaining tales still untold....

Jude Drouin for example. Forever whining about poor officiating and while playing for Minnesota, skates by Bruce Hood and says something to the effect of "you guys are all the same" after being called for something. Hood asks him to repeat that please, Drouin obliges, Hood throws a Misconduct & your outta here at him. Hey Jude snaps, has to be held back from going Coco Loco on Hoods Heiny. Hood claiming Drouins stick struck him, that he'd connected, Assault. Upon video review, Clarence Campbell doesnt see it, so he just hits him with a 3 Game Suspension.

So what else ya got?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Canadiens1958

Toe Blake / Dalton MacArthur

Toe Blake allegedly attacked referee Dalton MacArthur after a March 26, 1961 3OT loss to Chicago:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...3811%2C5515901

Dalton MacArthur did not work anymore playoff games in 1961 and left the NHL a season or two later. Toe Blake was fined $2,000.00

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
mbhhofr

This story is told by Red Storey in Dick Irvin's book Tough Calls. I got the story right from the referee involved, Bill Roberts. Roberts, who was a relatively new referee, gave Detroit a tripping penalty and Ted Lindsay came over to argue with him. Roberts said to him, "If that wasn't a trip, I'll be a s o b." Lindsay went to Jack Adams and told him that Roberts called him a s o b. Adams went and got Roberts fired.

I saw the Bruce Hood, Jude Drouin incident.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:46 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Steve Durbano Suspended 2 games by NHL for pushing, cursing at and throwing his gloves at referee Ron Wicks Feb 14 1973

Connie Forey Suspended final 6 weeks of 1973-74 season and all of 1974-75 season WHL for breaking referee Malcolm Ashford's nose Denver vs Seattle Feb 21 1974. Reinstated Jul 1974

Connie Madigan Punched referee Dave Newell Apr 11 1971 in game vs San Diego WHL and received indefinite suspension & fines $500. Dave Newell was left unconscious for 4 minutes. Was given 30 day suspension

Barclay Plager Fined $250 from exhibition game Sep 26 1969 in Oshawa vs Oakland Seals. He charged & jostled the referee while protesting a misconduct penalty.

Mike Walton Suspended 3 games by NHL for shoving referee during game Nov 4 1969 vs Oakland Seals

Bob Plager Suspended first 5 games 1975-76 for shoving Andy Van Hellemond into the boards Apr 10 1975 vs Pittsburgh Penguins Playoffs

Rick Zombo Suspended 10 games slashing linesemen Kevin Collins Jan 9 1994 St Louis Blues vs Dallas Stars

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Canadiens1958

Tom Lysiak / Ron Foyt

Tom Lysiak received 20 games for upending linesman Ron Foyt. Oct 30, 1983:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5886/index.htm

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Not strictly NHL, but one of the most memorable was JP Parise vs Josef Kompalla:

(Hit the mute button)

Leafsdude7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Big Phil

Not a player, but one of the most famous cases is Jim Schoenfeld on Don Koharski. To this day, I always thought Koharski embellished his "fall" when Schoenfeld bumped into him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
reckoning

Terry O'Reilly was suspended 10 games for hitting Andy Van Hellemond:

Alexander Mogilny was suspended 10 games for this:

I remember Don Cherry saying that "it's the first time the wimp hit anybody" on Coach's Corner.

A lot of the incidents in this thread would give fans on the main board heart attacks if they happened today, and result in much longer suspensions.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
MuzikMachine

Are there incidents where a referee has snapped on a player or coach and recieved supplemental disciple?

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
MuzikMachine

Back to the topic, I recall LA King coach Tom Webster threw a stick at a referee, it slid on the ice end hit his skate. I can't recall what kind of supplementry discipline was handed out.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
A lot of the incidents in this thread would give fans on the main board heart attacks if they happened today, and result in much longer suspensions.
Absolutely. Gotta be a place where we Neanderthals can come & gleefully reminisce beyond the Fights Board etc, oblivious to the niceties of political correctness. Not enough to go full on Sprague Cleghorn. No Sir, I want them going after Ref's, Linesman, Coaches & GM's, fans.... like Gordie Dwyer while with Tampa in 2000. Leaves the Penalty Box to start a full-on brawl, "abusing" the Ref's & Linesman, receiving I believe a 23 game Suspension for that little episode of decidedly psychotic behaviour. Faith & Beggorah. Remember "The Code". Burn Baby Burn.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Not a player, but one of the most famous cases is Jim Schoenfeld on Don Koharski. To this day, I always thought Koharski embellished his "fall" when Schoenfeld bumped into him.
"Have another donut....."

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
mbhhofr

Maurice Richard hits Linesman Cliff Thompson and the rest is history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4XPedB9mA

Old
03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Terry O'Reilly in about 82 got 10 games for taking a swing at Andy Van Hellemond, didnt connect, but intent irrefutable.... Mario Lemieux had to be physically restrained by his team mates from assaulting Referee Kerry Fraser one time.... Curtis Joseph pretty clearly snapped & ran McGoo during a Leafs playoff game, knocking him ass over tea kettle, claimed "accidental" & got away with it.... Nash hooked and flattened a Ref at a World Championships....

Old
03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
cam042686

During Game 8 of the 1974 Summit, Vladimir Shadrin cut open Pat Stapelton's face with his stick. Referee Josef Kompalla made no call. Stapelton skated over to Kompalla, screamed 'What the hell is this?" and wiped blood all over Kompalla's face. Kompalla gave him 10 minutes and then gave Shadrin a major penalty.

This is all decribed in my book "The Forgotten Summit."

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
blamebettman*

I remember Mike Richter bumping Bill McCreary after the Zelepukin goal to tie game 7 in 1994...wasn't tossed from the game for some reason. It wasn't accidental either, he legit hit him into the boards

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Curtis Joseph pretty clearly snapped & ran McGoo during a Leafs playoff game, knocking him ass over tea kettle, claimed "accidental" & got away with it....
If memory serves, he slipped and fell and took McGeough's feet out from under him. It was at least plausible that that part was unintentional, though he was indeed losing his mind before and after. I thought it was hilarious.

Edit: 1:23 in this video:

Last edited by Sadekuuro: 03-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Are there incidents where a referee has snapped on a player or coach and recieved supplemental disciple?

I imagine that got a suspension of some sorts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Back to the topic, I recall LA King coach Tom Webster threw a stick at a referee, it slid on the ice end hit his skate. I can't recall what kind of supplementry discipline was handed out.

The great Karlsson following in his foot steps then

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Curtis Joseph pretty clearly snapped & ran McGoo during a Leafs playoff game, knocking him ass over tea kettle, claimed "accidental" & got away with it.... Nash hooked and flattened a Ref at a World Championships....
Got to admit with these two plays it was clear to me the intent wasn't there. Joseph thought the goal shouldn't have counted due to interference. He skated over to Mick and was so ballistic at the time he fell and Mick went down with him. Nash claimed he thought it was a player behind him and it was just a reaction. Yeah, nothing happened to him at all although some thought it should at the time. I thought it was fine.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
...It was at least plausible that that part was unintentional, though he was indeed losing his mind before and after. I thought it was hilarious.
Yepp. Thats the incident alrighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I thought it was fine.
Joseph was assessed a Misconduct, though he didnt have to leave the ice. Later rescinded by the NHL. Had he not tripped & fallen, taking down Mick with him, Im not convinced he wouldnt have assaulted him. McGeough had a history of being somewhat "nearsighted" I guess you'd call it? I felt for the guy, but there were incidents throughout his career when goals that should have counted in big games didnt; others allowed when clearly an infraction should have been called, waived off & back. Tough job, being a Ref.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:30 PM
mbhhofr

This didn't take place in an NHL game. It was in a game involving the 1972 US Olympic Team in Minnesota. It was a Tuesday night game, one I wasn't reffing. Murray Williamson, the coach of the team wasn't happy with a call that the ref made and threw a water bottle at him. It missed and slid across the ice. Williamson was given a bench penalty.

On Saturday night, in a North Star game, Fred Barrett, the Star's Capt., fell, slid into the goal post and broke his leg.

Sunday morning at 6 am, I got a phone call from the GM of the Olympic Team asking me if I could ref and to catch the next flight out for Fargo, where the Olympic team was playing an afternoon game against UND. The game was supposed to be played on Saturday night, but UND had a problem with the plane that was bringing them from Duluth and the game was re scheduled for Sunday afternoon. The original ref, Andy Van Hellemond, who was not yet in the NHL, was supposed come from Winnipeg to work the Saturday game. Seeing that it was re scheduled to Sunday, he had to cancel because of a previous commitment.

I got into Fargo and headed for the hotel where the team was staying. I went into the coffee shop and met the GM, Murray Williamson and a couple of other guys. We were having coffee, talking and I told them that Barrett broke his leg last night. Williamson asked me how it happened and I told him, "He tripped over a water bottle." Williamson's face got red and everyone was laughing.

Last edited by mbhhofr: 03-04-2013 at 11:05 PM.