HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Perry to Pittsburgh (if he doesn't want to re-sign w/ Ducks)

Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
madinsomniac

vCash: 500
Why would there be a deal for an unsignable player that would take a ton of resources to land? Bear in mind the Ducks are 2nd in the entire NHL. to aquire any asset from a contender would take a gross overpayment

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Does Anaheim need a top-4 defenseman?

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
avsfansince95

of all perry deals i've seen this is no where close to being the worst this coming from an outside perspective. Of course assuming Perry tells anaheim he plans on testing free agency

avsfansince95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Anaheim would be retaining Perry if they believed they could make one last run. Even if he left a few weeks later, the Cup would make it worth it.
You need a lot to go right to win a cup, even with a stacked team.

We see dozens of deadline aquisitions each year, almost everyone massive overpays. When is the last one that actually got a team a cup? Arguably the Kings trades for the ex-Flyers, but the ones that work out are very rare. It is a poor way to obtain talent, by far the least effective way. Especially if you are trying to fix a long hole for the long term.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You really don't.

Dupuis - Crosby - Perry
Bennett/whoever - Malkin - Neal

Voila.
Stop ... please.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
swapping Orpik for a d-man that they're not too high on, might make the deal more compelling.

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:33 PM
WarriorScholar

Pens aren't getting Perry....period. It's a fact.

And even more of a fact if the media ...Analysts....say we are the favorites to land him.

Would love to have him, who wouldn't ? But I'd rather focus on more realistic scenarios .

I actually don't see why he wants to leave the ducks , but whatever.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Stop ... please.
I'd like to see who you want the Pens to pick up. No to Seto, Iggy, Perry, etc... We ain't getting Ryan or Patches, let's think realistically here.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
No he doesn't, Kunitz is playing over his head right now, ANA already have 2 old forwards, and don't need a 3rd. I like how you already know all the trade offers we have gotten, and assume Kunitz is the best possible fit we can get
Kunitz has 95 points in his last 111 games over the last two seasons. Seems to me he's been producing at a pretty good pace for some time now.

Sorry if he puts you over your "old forward" quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Stop ... please.
Stop addressing your concerns with reasonable responses?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
volcom

the only way the pens can get perry is if he comes out and says he wants to play for the pens...

the pens dont have the best package to offer like other teams do and if he makes it free agency, the pens can probaly only offer up to 7 million per year if they want to re-sign malkin and letang

volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Exit Dose

The Pens can put up a decent offer, but you're still at the mercy of the other teams that enter the bidding. Ottawa is a better fit.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

We see dozens of deadline aquisitions each year, almost everyone massive overpays. When is the last one that actually got a team a cup? Arguably the Kings trades for the ex-Flyers, but the ones that work out are very rare. It is a poor way to obtain talent, by far the least effective way. Especially if you are trying to fix a long hole for the long term.
Bruins overpaid for Kaberle when cheaper options were available.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
The reason question is does Pitt? I would think Pitt would be smart and look at their weakness which is defense. The OP trade isn't going to happen even if Perry decides to not sign and make it public. Anaheim will eventually get better trades offers than this.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I don't think that the OP's proposal is too bad but I would assume the Ducks could get better offers.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
dahrougem2

I'd assume the Ducks would want some of Pittsburgh's top forward prospects, no? Trading Perry they might want to potentially get as much offense back as they can, Kunitz can fill in for now but he's no main piece, at this point even though he's playing great to me he's a throw in; its the prospects that will make or break a deal for Perry. Who's Pittsburgh have that's young in the system up front that the Ducks might like?

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Kunitz makes no sense for anaheim
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't see the Pens trading Kunitz. You're subtracting a lot of production moving him. I know you'd be adding a lot with Perry but still. I don't think Shero would do it and Anaheim probably wouldn't either.
And agreed, as well.

The Ducks could pick from the following pieces from Penguins:

Dustin Jeffrey -- does have the upside to be a very good 2nd/3rd line C but won't get that opportunity in PIT (and could make a nice replacement for Koivu eventually)
+
Brooks Orpik -- if they want another veteran Dman (or Niskanen if they want someone younger)
+
one of Maatta/Dumoulin (or possibly Despres if they don't want Brooks/Niskanen. I say this because Pens won't give up 2 roster Dmen)
+
1st round pick in 2013
+
possibly a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 if they sign him to an extension

(+ Tyler Kennedy would also be available as a throw-in if Ducks were interested)

Now, I'm not saying the Pens will part with ALL of the assets mentioned above, but you can see how a package deal could be constructed based on those pieces.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Why would a team give up so many players if he's chosen not to resign in the summer?

Even if Pittsburgh don't know that he's chosen to do that, they're more likely to probably wait until he becomes a UFA and talk to him.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Why would a team give up so many players if he's chosen not to resign in the summer?

Even if Pittsburgh don't know that he's chosen to do that, they're more likely to probably wait until he becomes a UFA and talk to him.
Well, Pens could ask for permission to discuss extension, which would move up asking price, but would be worth it. And nobody knows if or why Perry may not want to sign in Anaheim. But if it's the case that he doesn't want to sign there, it may very well be because he wants to be closer to home. Now, I know Toronto/Leafs would be closer to home than Pittsburgh, but Pens are a better team and taxes would be less, and they're still pretty close to London, Ontario.

Anyway, it's all speculation at this point.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
airforceones25

Horrible deal for the Ducks.

The problem in general for Pittsburgh is there abundance of depth or prospects lies on the backend which doesn't help the Ducks needs. We already have Lindholm and Vatanen waiting for a shot. So having Maata/Depres as a main part to a deal means nothing to Anaheim. They are losing an integral piece upfront for a bigger logjam on the backend. Just doesn't make sense. Unless they were receiving a legit star on defense (Letang) just doesn't work from an Anaheim perspective. Therefor I believe the Penguins make a poor trading partner with the Ducks in any sort of a Perry sweepstakes. An the offensive players you can part with don't have the high upside the Ducks would want to possess and are more of the complimentary variety. (Kunitz, TK, Jeffrey, etc..) Anaheim can receive better offers elsewhere that will help their organizational needs.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

I think this will play out like the Parise situation. Anaheim will make a run with him even if it means losing him for nothing. Selanne will most likely be gone next year and possibly Koivu too. They are good enough with Perry and those two to try for the Cup.

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
mccoyadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If Perry chooses not to re-sign with the Ducks, and the org decides it would be better to move him for a good return rather than keep him for one last run, here's my deal:

Perry

for

Kunitz, Maatta, 2013 1st

Pens get their big, elite RH RW. The Ducks get a great complementary scoring wing to help with a run this year (and signed through next), a quality two-way defense prospect, and a 1st in what's projected to be a deep draft at the top end.

Thoughts?
No. Sure this could short term solve a problem. But it opens up more problems.
A) Now whos is going to be Crosby's winger?
B) Beau Bennett is easily a potential star RW, give him the chance, and he will be a long term solution to the gap in RW.
C) with the amazing scouting the Penguins have it would be a shame to give up a 1st round pick, plus with the Penguins being constant Cup Contenders, it would be in the area of 27-30th pick.

So no. just no.

mccoyadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Well obviously, but that doesn't mean you don't try. And in Anaheim's case, you sure as hell wouldn't cut your own legs out from under yourself right before a playoff run when you're looking like one of the teams that's more than one of the longshots. What, are they supposed to say, "well odds are even with Perry we won't win a Cup, so might as well trade him now!" If that's the case, why stop there? Trade Getzlaf, trade Selanne, trade Koivu. Throw in the towel before you even start.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Takashi

So you will give all this for only half a season of perry?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Agreed.

And agreed, as well.

The Ducks could pick from the following pieces from Penguins:

Dustin Jeffrey -- does have the upside to be a very good 2nd/3rd line C but won't get that opportunity in PIT (and could make a nice replacement for Koivu eventually)
+
Brooks Orpik -- if they want another veteran Dman (or Niskanen if they want someone younger)
+
one of Maatta/Dumoulin (or possibly Despres if they don't want Brooks/Niskanen. I say this because Pens won't give up 2 roster Dmen)
+
1st round pick in 2013
+
possibly a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 if they sign him to an extension

(+ Tyler Kennedy would also be available as a throw-in if Ducks were interested)

Now, I'm not saying the Pens will part with ALL of the assets mentioned above, but you can see how a package deal could be constructed based on those pieces.
Well said. I really really hope a deal could be worked out with these parts. I'd thrown in Maatta before Dumoulin.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Jaded-Fan

I think that people are likely right, that Perry is not going to be available. But even if he is, Pittsburgh should wait for the off season to make a pitch. Unlike Hossa where they got left holding the bag, be Detroit that signed him when the season ended, or Chicago who did it the year after. I really think that Shero for the most part has let the ball drop in the offseason when wings have become available. Yeah, he was in on Parise supposedly, but it is hard to believe that in 8 years of Crosby's career he could not find anyone better than Dupuis to put on Crosby's wing. Even Kunitz, who with all due respect is a decent player who Crosby is making into his equivilent of Mario's Rob Brown.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote