HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Back Pain when shooting at home

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 11:25 PM
  #1
BeezyD18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Back Pain when shooting at home

When and after i done shooting, i get back pain on my left or right side of my back. I think its my posture when shooting because i dont get into a "shooting posture" and stand straight up and lean onto one side. But i recently have been fixing that and getting low into a shooting posture, but my back still hurts. Any ideas?

BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:31 PM
  #2
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
What's your athletic build? Shooting works your core a lot. If you don't have a strong back it'll be sore (if that's the pain you're talking about).

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
  #3
rbarker26
Registered User
 
rbarker26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
maybe you need a longer stick?

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
  #4
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Are you hunching over by bending at the back or are your sticking your butt out back while you bend at the knees to keep your back straight? The former will cause back pain and the latter is the proper way, although your back will still probably be a little sore at first as the muscles get stronger.


Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
  #5
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
I had a sore back when I first started playing. Def agree with Jarick, a good lumbar curve will save you years of back pain. Shooting is a motion that uses a core twist, which can cause the abdominal muscles to weaken. Once those are weak, your back muscles take on additional loads they are not used to and get sore. The solution is core workouts for sure. Dead lifts, squats and some ab routines will make you feel better.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
  #6
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Kettlebell swings with tight abs + front plank + an hour of shoveling = sore abs today

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  #7
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Kettlebell swings with tight abs + front plank + an hour of shoveling = sore abs today
Oh god, kettlebells are the worst. I used to do a lot of Crossfit workouts that would involve kettlebells. The most fun I've had with them is turkish get ups. Did a full up and down with an 88lb kettlebell and another with a 100lb barbell.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
  #8
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarker26 View Post
maybe you need a longer stick?

Or a shorter one if you are wearing shoes. If you are using a stick the same length as your stick on the ice it will be too long and put you in a strange position that your body isn't used to.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
  #9
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
I always find I stand up straighter at home than when I have my knees bent and shooting so the stick is more or less the same. Shots are harder on the ice though because you're moving an extra 10+ mph and can transfer your weight easier.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
  #10
newfr4u
Registered User
 
newfr4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
What's your athletic build? Shooting works your core a lot. If you don't have a strong back it'll be sore (if that's the pain you're talking about).
yes, he very likely needs to build strength in his back, but still, he should be able to shoot pain-free at his current strength levels. a long-term solution would definitely involve getting a whole lot stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Are you hunching over by bending at the back or are your sticking your butt out back while you bend at the knees to keep your back straight? The former will cause back pain and the latter is the proper way, although your back will still probably be a little sore at first as the muscles get stronger.

all of this is correct and good, but unfortunately only addresses his posture while shooting, rather than all the time (skating, walking around, sitting at a desk/on the couch). i would say, it's unlikely his problem is caused only by and can be fixed by addressing only shooting technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I had a sore back when I first started playing. Def agree with Jarick, a good lumbar curve will save you years of back pain. Shooting is a motion that uses a core twist, which can cause the abdominal muscles to weaken. Once those are weak, your back muscles take on additional loads they are not used to and get sore. The solution is core workouts for sure. Dead lifts, squats and some ab routines will make you feel better.
i think the bolded a bit of a vague description. personally, i think it's clearer if you say "neutral spine", which may or may not be a "comfortable" position when you are doing different things, like sitting, or shooting pucks. for some people with muscular issues, extreme lumbar curves will feel correct, but in fact will likely be causing further damage.

ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load, which not only hurts the discs, but also worsens already present muscular imbalances. if you want to strengthen your abs, doing planks and/or supermans with perfect form is enough for most people, but if you want harder stimulus, paloff presses.

deadlifts and squats should be a staple obviously, but i would once again caution about perfect form.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
  #11
PlayBall
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load
Words worth repeating. Don't mistreat your core

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:59 PM
  #12
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
i think the bolded a bit of a vague description. personally, i think it's clearer if you say "neutral spine", which may or may not be a "comfortable" position when you are doing different things, like sitting, or shooting pucks. for some people with muscular issues, extreme lumbar curves will feel correct, but in fact will likely be causing further damage.

ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load, which not only hurts the discs, but also worsens already present muscular imbalances. if you want to strengthen your abs, doing planks and/or supermans with perfect form is enough for most people, but if you want harder stimulus, paloff presses.

deadlifts and squats should be a staple obviously, but i would once again caution about perfect form.
Apologize for the generality of most of my statement. Neutral spine is certainly a better way of putting it. Same with the ab routines.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
  #13
newfr4u
Registered User
 
newfr4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
for those interested, here is eric cressey on neutral spine

http://www.ericcressey.com/squat-tec...or-not-to-arch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFbBWTB8y0

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
  #14
Thesensation19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
When you do your strength and conditioning you should really focus on your core, abs, back. Many people confuse core with abs and back because they are very alike. Core is a certain area underneath your abs and your back. Core exercises have a lot to do with balancing, though abs and back strengthening can very well help your core as well.

Anyway... when you do it, be sure to focus on these. Go ahead and have your days where you work on your biceps, of course your legs, your neck. All of this will also strengthen your overall build but remember to rely mostly on training of the core, abs and back and legs. Most important of all.


You said you get most of your pain in your garage. I assume that you are not on skates and therefor on a differ height than your use to. Your stick is probably too long and your form is all off causing stress to differ areas of your body including your back.

Bad form can really do damage in both the short and long run

Remember to properly stretch and warm up when doing physical activity

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
  #15
BeezyD18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Ahaaaa, my stick is too long. Wow, probably shoulda payed attention to that. Guess im gonna cut it down, and what do you guys use to remove a plug?

BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.