HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Jones was 6'3 when THN did an article on him at 14. He wans't exactly skinny either in the pictures, I'd assume he was 190 lbs. I don't see how Ekblad is a man child at 16, 6'3 210 lbs and Jones wasn't at 16 6'3 200 lbs.
Keep in mind Jones's dad is 6'8 and was around 250 during his NBA days. Not a geneticist or any crap but I always thought Jones had a bit of a baby face and looked like he still was growing into his frame whereas Ekblad looked like a kid who grew young.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Jones was 6'3 when THN did an article on him at 14. He wans't exactly skinny either in the pictures, I'd assume he was 190 lbs. I don't see how Ekblad is a man child at 16, 6'3 210 lbs and Jones wasn't at 16 6'3 200 lbs.
Probably because Seth Jones wasn't a 200 lb. 16 year old. He was 180 lbs. Seth put on 25 lbs. during his two years with the NTDP.

02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Probably because Seth Jones wasn't a 200 lb. 16 year old. He was 180 lbs. Seth put on 25 lbs. during his two years with the NTDP.
Their body types look similar and probably act similar at that same age regardleses of a difference in the weight. You look at pictures of Jones and Ekblad at 16 and there definitely doesn't look like a 30 pound difference.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Their body types look similar and probably act similar at that same age regardleses of a difference in the weight. You look at pictures of Jones and Ekblad at 16 and there definitely doesn't look like a 30 pound difference.
Maybe but that doesn't mean there isn't a 30 lb. difference at the same age because there is. Looks are deceiving so I'll trust the measurements.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
A fun little story we put together on Seth Jones. With all the seriousness around him, we took a little look at the lighter side:

Quote:
It’s okay though, media members. Jones understands with his profile they’ve got to be asked – especially with the bizarre lineage the projected first overall pick come June has. Having former NBA journeyman Ronald ‘Popeye’ Jones as his father, the 18-year-old knows the question is going to be a hot topic.

“That’s the question that I get the most,” Jones said. “Just coming from my family background, it’s the question that if I was in the press or media I would probably ask the same thing so I don’t blame them.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/jones...ds-draft-buzz/

Old
02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I saw him last night for the 3rd time this season in the WHL (2 live, one on TV) and in the WJC's I think every game.

I don't get this guy. In the Worlds he played great hockey. Rushing the puck, leading the pp, playing good defensively, making no mistakes, yet when I see him in the dub he plays bipolar.

He will rush the puck up the ice showing his speed and skate through three people, yet the next rush he can barely hold the puck on his stick and make it to the red line.

He also had some pretty glaring brain farts against Tri last night. There was a scramble in his zone and he left his man in front of the net alone and tried to poke check someone at the faceoff dot.

Having said all that, hes just a rookie so I should cut him some slack. The only other top 3 prospect ive seen live in their draft year is Ryan Murray who never makes mistakes, though he couldn't do what Jones does on the offensive side.

Overall, I think he has franchise defenseman potential, but I don't think hes as refined a prospect as you usually get at 1st overall (though it could be argued that defenseman take longer to develop)

Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I saw him last night for the 3rd time this season in the WHL (2 live, one on TV) and in the WJC's I think every game.

I don't get this guy. In the Worlds he played great hockey. Rushing the puck, leading the pp, playing good defensively, making no mistakes, yet when I see him in the dub he plays bipolar.

He will rush the puck up the ice showing his speed and skate through three people, yet the next rush he can barely hold the puck on his stick and make it to the red line.

He also had some pretty glaring brain farts against Tri last night. There was a scramble in his zone and he left his man in front of the net alone and tried to poke check someone at the faceoff dot.

Having said all that, hes just a rookie so I should cut him some slack. The only other top 3 prospect ive seen live in their draft year is Ryan Murray who never makes mistakes, though he couldn't do what Jones does on the offensive side.

Overall, I think he has franchise defenseman potential, but I don't think hes as refined a prospect as you usually get at 1st overall (though it could be argued that defenseman take longer to develop)

In this regard, should we cut him some slack for being a rookie in the dub? I don't know for sure but I think he'd look more polished if this was his second or third (like Murray last year, "who never makes mistakes") season...That said, he certainly does look a bit unpolished or raw, but he does look very close to putting it all together.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
derriko

Oh yes, in no way am I discounting the 120 games more experience Murray has/had over Jones in the dub before their draft year, but even with the experience I think Murray will be better defensively.

If only Jones had played in the WHL last year, I think he would be more refined, and be the unanimous 1st overall right now. Im not saying the USDP was bad for him, and I understand why American kids play for them, but I think if you are a top prospect that you shouldn't be in the USHL regardless.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Oh yes, in no way am I discounting the 120 games more experience Murray has/had over Jones in the dub before their draft year, but even with the experience I think Murray will be better defensively.

If only Jones had played in the WHL last year, I think he would be more refined, and be the unanimous 1st overall right now. Im not saying the USDP was bad for him, and I understand why American kids play for them, but I think if you are a top prospect that you shouldn't be in the USHL regardless.
The USNDTP only plays a handful of games in the USHL. It's a pretty common misconception that they're basically a USHL team. The U-18s play a ton of games against NCAA opponents and really gears up for international competition. I've seen nothing to suggest that top prospects don't face tough enough competition with the NDTP. Certainly don't see how Canadian Juniors is a superior development path considering most top American prospects have done just fine with the NDTP route as a 16 year old.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
The USNDTP only plays a handful of games in the USHL. It's a pretty common misconception that they're basically a USHL team. The U-18s play a ton of games against NCAA opponents and really gears up for international competition. I've seen nothing to suggest that top prospects don't face tough enough competition with the NDTP. Certainly don't see how Canadian Juniors is a superior development path considering most top American prospects have done just fine with the NDTP route as a 16 year old.
Yeah. Saying the NDTP route isn't as good is really ridiculous.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Thanks for educating me on that. I guess what I said about him being raw because he was with the USDP was completely incorrect.

Though I guess you could still make the argument that the CHL better prepares a player for the NHL as its schedule is similar, though this isnt the thread to discuss that obviously.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Thanks for educating me on that. I guess what I said about him being raw because he was with the USDP was completely incorrect.

Though I guess you could still make the argument that the CHL better prepares a player for the NHL as its schedule is similar, though this isnt the thread to discuss that obviously.
Each route has their positive and negatives. I do not believe that one is better than the other, but one can be better than the other for specific players.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:

I wasn't around here in 2006 so I have no idea.... but I'm just wondering, Wasn't Erik Johnson getting this kind of hype leading up to his draft? Wasn't he labelled a 'can't-miss' franchise defenseman? And subsequently drafted 1st overall. Yet with all the potential in the world, he wasn't able to put it all together.

If this parallel makes any sense to you guys, then I wonder... would it be risky to take a defenseman like this 1st overall seeing what happened with Erik Johnson?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I wasn't around here in 2006 so I have no idea.... but I'm just wondering, Wasn't Erik Johnson getting this kind of hype leading up to his draft? Wasn't he labelled a 'can't-miss' franchise defenseman? And subsequently drafted 1st overall. Yet with all the potential in the world, he wasn't able to put it all together.

If this parallel makes any sense to you guys, then I wonder... would it be risky to take a defenseman like this 1st overall seeing what happened with Erik Johnson?
The difference in the two's hockey IQ is just so enormous that it makes them difficult to compare

Old
02-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Yes and that's why people talk about it.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
sjci

vCash: 0
This is not hockey related in the slightest, but Seth Jones' mom is a babe.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
This is not hockey related in the slightest, but Seth Jones' mom is a babe.
eat some spinach and you'll have a chance

Old
03-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Well that's assuming EJ is a complete bust. He hasn't lived up to expectations however DMen usually take longer to develop and he's still only 24.

I agree with the poster in terms of hockey IQ. His slap passes, movement to get into open areas, and ability to get into spots to create plays is just incomparable.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

he's going to look pretty good in the bolts jersey

Old
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Jones already has two goals against Everett.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Jones beasting against Everett with two crucial goals for Winterhawks.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

I just don't see how he isn't #1 right now. I think he has less questions around him then Mckinnon and Drouin.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Flameshomer

Could look very good in a flaming C.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333

Old
04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
That.... makes me excited in my downstairs.

Closed Thread