HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 02:19 AM
  #601
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
My dream would be that we move Pominville to Florida or to the jackets for their first rounder and a solid prospect.

Then we draft McKinnon or Drouin and with our pick we take Nurse.

Then we trade away Stafford and Leopold to the Islanders for Grabner and a pick.

Then we buy out Leino, then we would have plenty of cap space to go aggressive for some ufas (smith).

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia
Foligno - Ennis - Grabner
Ott - Grigorenko - Tropp
4th line

Smith - Ehrhoff
Sekera - Myers
Pysyk - McNabb
Weber

Luceni is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 AM
  #602
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
My dream would be that we move Pominville to Florida or to the jackets for their first rounder and a solid prospect.

Then we draft McKinnon or Drouin and with our pick we take Nurse.

Then we trade away Stafford and Leopold to the Islanders for Grabner and a pick.

Then we buy out Leino, then we would have plenty of cap space to go aggressive for some ufas (smith).

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia
Foligno - Ennis - Grabner
Ott - Grigorenko - Tropp
4th line

Smith - Ehrhoff
Sekera - Myers
Pysyk - McNabb
Weber
In what world is Pominville worth #1 or #2 overall AND a top prospect, let alone 1 or 2 overall?

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:33 AM
  #603
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
In what world is Pominville worth #1 or #2 overall AND a top prospect, let alone 1 or 2 overall?
Beat me to it.

enrothorne is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:47 AM
  #604
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
In what world is Pominville worth #1 or #2 overall AND a top prospect, let alone 1 or 2 overall?
So you don't think that a consistent 70 pointscorer is worth a top 3 overall pick and a solid prospect like pysyk or catenacci?

Luceni is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:52 AM
  #605
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
So you don't think that a consistent 70 pointscorer is worth a top 3 overall pick and a solid prospect like pysyk or catenacci?
No, I don't. Even though you worded it to say that you'd want the top pick and a prospect coming our way, I don't think Pominville and Pysyk gets you#1 overall, no.

Neither does Poms+Grigs.

It's just not how it works. Not for Jones or Nate or Drouin

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 02:57 AM
  #606
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
No, I don't. Even though you worded it to say that you'd want the top pick and a prospect coming our way, I don't think Pominville and Pysyk gets you#1 overall, no.

Neither does Poms+Grigs.

It's just not how it works. Not for Jones or Nate or Drouin
Pominville and Grigs is definitely worth a top 3 pick.Grigs is one of the best prospects in the game and Pominville is a top 10 RW who plays both ends and scores 65-70 points consistently.No way are those 2 inferior to a top 3 pick.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:00 AM
  #607
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Pominville and Grigs is definitely worth a top 3 pick.Grigs is one of the best prospects in the game and Pominville is a top 10 RW who plays both ends and scores 65-70 points consistently.No way are those 2 inferior to a top 3 pick.
I don't agree.

You're not getting one of those three prospects for Pominville and Grigorenko. These teams like CBJ and FLA are trying to find that franchise face. Grigorenko is a question mark. Jones and MacKinnon and Drouin aren't viewed as projects.


And my god does this board overrate Pominville defensively.

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:03 AM
  #608
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
No, I don't. Even though you worded it to say that you'd want the top pick and a prospect coming our way, I don't think Pominville and Pysyk gets you#1 overall, no.

Neither does Poms+Grigs.

It's just not how it works. Not for Jones or Nate or Drouin
Only on hfboards....

...McKinnon, Drouin or Jones are far away from being consistent 70 pt scorer in the NHL. They aren't safe bets. All three are still kinda prospects with high potential but they have got a lot to learn.

I think Pominville and our best center prospect would be way too much for a top 3 pick.

The more I'm talkin about drouin or McKinnon the more I would like us to tank. but we're hunting that 9th place.

Luceni is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:05 AM
  #609
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Only on hfboards....

...McKinnon, Drouin or Jones are far away from being consistent 70 pt scorer in the NHL. They aren't safe bets. All three are still kinda prospects with high potential but they have got a lot to learn.

I think Pominville and our best center prospect would be way too much for a top 3 pick.

The more I'm talkin about drouin or McKinnon the more I would like us to tank. but we're hunting that 9th place.
Only on the Sabres board would someone think you're getting a top three pick for Jason Pominville and a prospect.

please

the infrequency with which top three picks are dealt....

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 03:08 AM
  #610
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Only on hfboards....

...McKinnon, Drouin or Jones are far away from being consistent 70 pt scorer in the NHL. They aren't safe bets. All three are still kinda prospects with high potential but they have got a lot to learn.

I think Pominville and our best center prospect would be way too much for a top 3 pick.

The more I'm talkin about drouin or McKinnon the more I would like us to tank. but we're hunting that 9th place.
It would be a blunder for the ages for a team in that position to make a trade like that. Teams that are at the bottom aren't in a position to add a 30 year old winger who is one year from free agency for a potential franchise player with 6 years of club control.

thefifagod is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
  #611
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Only on the Sabres board would someone think you're getting a top three pick for Jason Pominville and a prospect.

please

the infrequency with which top three picks are dealt....
I agree with you, but you're acting like tha value of Luceni's deal is totally skewed, which it isn't.

A team like Calgary would consider Pominville + Grigorenko for a top 3 pick- i.e., a team under tremendous fan pressure to succeed and with a GM who is disillusioned into believing his team is still a contender.

Irving Zisman is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
  #612
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
If Pominville was 24 / 25yo putting up those numbers than you could argue that his value + a sweetner would be in line with a top 3 pick. At his age, he's worth a 1st + sweetners from a team that's looking for their final piece in a cup run. A rebuilding franchise isn't going to move him for their high first. The Top 3 in this draft are enticing but its not like there's any generational talent in here that a team must have.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
  #613
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
I agree with you, but you're acting like tha value of Luceni's deal is totally skewed, which it isn't.

A team like Calgary would consider Pominville + Grigorenko for a top 3 pick- i.e., a team under tremendous fan pressure to succeed and with a GM who is disillusioned into believing his team is still a contender.
This is the real issue. It's not that Pominville + would always be off the mark value wise for a top 3 pick; it's that if a team is picking top 3 they're probably rebuilding and have no reason to take 30yo + inferior prospect over their potential franchise player.

tsujimoto74 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
  #614
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
In what world is Pominville worth #1 or #2 overall AND a top prospect, let alone 1 or 2 overall?
there are no worlds known

Jame is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
  #615
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
My dream would be that we move Pominville to Florida or to the jackets for their first rounder and a solid prospect.

Then we draft McKinnon or Drouin and with our pick we take Nurse.

Then we trade away Stafford and Leopold to the Islanders for Grabner and a pick.

Then we buy out Leino, then we would have plenty of cap space to go aggressive for some ufas (smith).

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia
Foligno - Ennis - Grabner
Ott - Grigorenko - Tropp
4th line

Smith - Ehrhoff
Sekera - Myers
Pysyk - McNabb
Weber
I assume by "Smith" you mean Smid...

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
  #616
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,881
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
My dream would be that we move Pominville to Florida or to the jackets for their first rounder and a solid prospect.

Then we draft McKinnon or Drouin and with our pick we take Nurse.

Then we trade away Stafford and Leopold to the Islanders for Grabner and a pick.

Then we buy out Leino, then we would have plenty of cap space to go aggressive for some ufas (smith).

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia
Foligno - Ennis - Grabner
Ott - Grigorenko - Tropp
4th line

Smith - Ehrhoff
Sekera - Myers
Pysyk - McNabb
Weber
That is certainly a dream, because I can't see any GM of a team picking in the top-5 willing to give up their 1st rounder (plus something else!) for Pominville while they're conscious.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
  #617
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That is certainly a dream, because I can't see any GM of a team picking in the top-5 willing to give up their 1st rounder (plus something else!) for Pominville while they're conscious.
I think a team like Edmonton might be willing to move for a proven veteran if they continue to stumble. That rebuild is taking too long. Of course, we would probably have to add a significant piece, not the other way around.

stokes84 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  #618
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I don't agree.

You're not getting one of those three prospects for Pominville and Grigorenko. These teams like CBJ and FLA are trying to find that franchise face. Grigorenko is a question mark. Jones and MacKinnon and Drouin aren't viewed as projects.


And my god does this board overrate Pominville defensively.
Grigorenko is a question mark but the top 3 PROSPECTS in this upcoming draft aren't ok gotcha.

Sorry, but these Guys aren't Crosby level or even Stamkos level prospects. The difference between Grigs and them is nowhere near Jason Pominville who is a top 10 RW. It's funny, because Grigs isn't at a ppg this year he is a "question mark". From top prospect to question mark so quickly , just trade him since he will never become a top line center

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  #619
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,881
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I think a team like Edmonton might be willing to move for a proven veteran if they continue to stumble. That rebuild is taking too long. Of course, we would probably have to add a significant piece, not the other way around.
If Edmonton is in position to have a top-5 pick, they'd be better off retaining the pick and looking to add a winger like Horton in UFA where they wouldn't have to surrender seven years of player control over a high draft pick.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  #620
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Grigorenko is a question mark but the top 3 PROSPECTS in this upcoming draft aren't ok gotcha.

Sorry, but these Guys aren't Crosby level or even Stamkos level prospects. The difference between Grigs and them is nowhere near Jason Pominville who is a top 10 RW. It's funny, because Grigs isn't at a ppg this year he is a "question mark". From top prospect to question mark so quickly , just trade him since he will never become a top line center
Grigs always had ? About his game, yes their is quite a gap between any of the top 4 and Grigs. Maybe none of them are at Crosby level but it wouldnt suprise me if MacKinnon becomes a 40-50 goal center.

1972 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
  #621
TheWook
Registered User
 
TheWook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Isn't Mackinnon sort of in the Stamkos mold?

TheWook is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
  #622
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Isn't Mackinnon sort of in the Stamkos mold?
Yes. The top 3 this year are all significant prospects.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 05:14 PM
  #623
hizzoner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Hall, Eberle and Yakupov and RNH and Schultz--all hailed as the next GREAT. Maybe some day a couple of them will be NHL stars, maybe all of them, but I think Oiler fans expected more from all the hype around those guys. Prospects are fine--proven first line players are usually better. The grass is not always greener and all that glitters is not gold?

hizzoner is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
  #624
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Hall, Eberle and Yakupov and RNH and Schultz--all hailed as the next GREAT. Maybe some day a couple of them will be NHL stars, maybe all of them, but I think Oiler fans expected more from all the hype around those guys. Prospects are fine--proven first line players are usually better. The grass is not always greener and all that glitters is not gold?
None of those guys were considered the next great. They didn't have anywhere near the hype of Crosby or Tavares. MacKinnon is a better prospect than any of those players were when they were entering the draft and Drouin looks to be as well.

thefifagod is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
  #625
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Isn't Mackinnon sort of in the Stamkos mold?
yes

best top prospects since Stamkos/Doughty

Jame is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.