HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

vCash: 500
Don't really follow prospects as closely but how is McIlrath doing? Have there been improvements in his skating? Has he improved at all?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Skjei is a freshman, Schmidt is a junior.
Would love for the Rangers to sign Schmidt though, he is going to be good.
I was responding to his declaration that Skjei is better than Schmidt defensively.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Clearly? Lucia took him out of the lineup all together, are you not keeping up?

Schmidt is getting praise for his defensive game, think I'm making this stuff up!?

Lucia acknowledged that Schmidt became the defensive key

m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6174

I just thought he was good in all situations and in any role you asked him to play, Guentzel said.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/12/12/sc...top-defenseman
Don't look at what the coach says; look at what he does. Lucia has an undrafted junior who is smallish who is putting up great offensive numbers so he praises his defensive game for public consumption. And I didn't say Brady is better defensively at this point, you stated Schmidt is Norris quality compared to him which is ridiculous. Regarding the healthy scratch, the night after getting shut out he went with his most offensive set of D-men and so Brady had a night off. You think Mike Reilly is a better defender than Brady too? He was in the lineup.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Don't look at what the coach says; look at what he does. Lucia has an undrafted junior who is smallish who is putting up great offensive numbers so he praises his defensive game for public consumption. And I didn't say Brady is better defensively at this point, you stated Schmidt is Norris quality compared to him which is ridiculous. Regarding the healthy scratch, the night after getting shut out he went with his most offensive set of D-men and so Brady had a night off. You think Mike Reilly is a better defender than Brady too? He was in the lineup.
Look what he does? He took Skjei out of the lineup. Mike Reilly stayed in ! He's all offense. But Reilly's offense more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings. He's been on the ice for a good amount of goals but he's a weapon on offense. And he's still very raw, just 9 months older than Skjei.

Again, this is all in response to 'reports' that he's been playing 'great'. After watching a half dozen games I don't see great, I see a young Dman who still does not play his position to his potential. So far its all slick and very little substance. And its ok, that's most young players, still acclimating to their surroundings, no need to get so damn upset about one of your teams prospects not being 'great' his first year of College.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove
Oil Kings F and @NYRangers prospect Michael St. Croix named WHL player of the week. He had 2 goals and 9 points in 3 games.
Great news for MSC

Old
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
Look what he does? He took Skjei out of the lineup. Mike Reilly stayed in ! He's all offense. But Reilly's offense more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings. He's been on the ice for a good amount of goals but he's a weapon on offense. And he's still very raw, just 9 months older than Skjei.

Again, this is all in response to 'reports' that he's been playing 'great'. After watching a half dozen games I don't see great, I see a young Dman who still does not play his position to his potential. So far its all slick and very little substance. And its ok, that's most young players, still acclimating to their surroundings, no need to get so damn upset about one of your teams prospects not being 'great' his first year of College.
Am I upset? No. Lucia over the course of the year has put alot of trust in Brady and I think it is warranted. I see his play as being alot better than you are giving credit for. It's playoff time. We'll see who Lucia chooses to trust with ice time. If he is not comfortable with Brady we will definitely know now.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Am I upset? No. Lucia over the course of the year has put alot of trust in Brady and I think it is warranted. I see his play as being alot better than you are giving credit for. It's playoff time. We'll see who Lucia chooses to trust with ice time. If he is not comfortable with Brady we will definitely know now.
What am I not giving him credit for? His great speed? His ok positioning?

Again, overall, he's been up and down from game to game. He plays on the PK, thats great, but he hasn't been perfect on the PK or even strength in the last month of games I've watched.

I have no idea what Lucia will do, I'm not gonna pretend to know what he thinks, just giving you my honest assessment of what I see from the kid as he plays.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
shinchanyo

Could one of you give some examples of actual good/bad plays that are leading you to make these determinations? Right now the only evidence I saw was Brady was used on the PK but that doesn't mean that much nor does that quote from the coach about Schmidt (If every coach was honest according to Rex Ryan a certain mexican would be a good NFL QB instead of a trash heap in cleats). In many ways the PK on D is almost simpler and Brady's speed may be seen as a very valuable asset there whereas during the entire rest of the game his mental mistakes may be more crippling. Im a little more inclined to believe Blue on this one but I'd like more info to go off of from guys who have watched him play.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Could one of you give some examples of actual good/bad plays that are leading you to make these determinations? Right now the only evidence I saw was Brady was used on the PK but that doesn't mean that much nor does that quote from the coach about Schmidt. In many ways the PK on D is almost simpler and Brady's speed may be seen as a very valuable asset there whereas during the entire rest of the game his mental mistakes may be more crippling.
Good points. Except, whats wrong with the coach saying he's the key to our defense?

I see his mistakes away from the PK. On the rush, he overcompensates towards his partners side. Again, he's a great skater, maybe used to covering so much where he came from or thinks his speed will close the gap, cause he does this frequently leaving opposing players open with too much room on his side, it's noticeable. With experience comes maturity and then we hope to see him not force the play.

Minny's PK has been good. Skjei does his job, having a more experienced partner definitely helps. He's all about the skating, everything else needs work. That's no slight, he's a freshman. Minny is trying to develop their players over time, that way they stay for more than 2 years, which has been a problem for them.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
Could one of you give some examples of actual good/bad plays that are leading you to make these determinations? Right now the only evidence I saw was Brady was used on the PK but that doesn't mean that much nor does that quote from the coach about Schmidt (If every coach was honest according to Rex Ryan a certain mexican would be a good NFL QB instead of a trash heap in cleats). In many ways the PK on D is almost simpler and Brady's speed may be seen as a very valuable asset there whereas during the entire rest of the game his mental mistakes may be more crippling. Im a little more inclined to believe Blue on this one but I'd like more info to go off of from guys who have watched him play.
I am impressed with his speed, his gap control, his stickwork and his board work. His outlet passes are very good and he has been joining the play more often. Now, does he make mental mistakes and get caught behind the net more than I would like? Sure. But he wins alot more battles than he loses and he knows how to use his frame and reach to take guys out of the play and to interrupt passing plays in the D zone. As he builds confidence I expect him to try and finish some of the rushes he is now starting. You can tell he's very aware of getting back at all times. I like him.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
I am impressed with his speed, his gap control, his stickwork and his board work. His outlet passes are very good and he has been joining the play more often. Now, does he make mental mistakes and get caught behind the net more than I would like? Sure. But he wins alot more battles than he loses and he knows how to use his frame and reach to take guys out of the play and to interrupt passing plays in the D zone. As he builds confidence I expect him to try and finish some of the rushes he is now starting. You can tell he's very aware of getting back at all times. I like him.
Caught behind the net, what do you mean? This is the only negative thing you've had to say so I wonder what does that say?

Old
03-04-2013, 02:50 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Good points. Except, whats wrong with the coach saying he's the key to our defense?

I see his mistakes away from the PK. On the rush, he overcompensates towards his partners side. Again, he's a great skater, maybe used to covering so much where he came from or thinks his speed will close the gap, cause he does this frequently leaving opposing players open with too much room on his side, it's noticeable. With experience comes maturity and then we hope to see him not force the play.

Minny's PK has been good. Skjei does his job, having a more experienced partner definitely helps. He's all about the skating, everything else needs work. That's no slight, he's a freshman. Minny is trying to develop their players over time, that way they stay for more than 2 years, which has been a problem for them.
Nothing wrong with it just pointing out its not necassarily the most solid evidence. Hopefully his brain matches his speed and athleticism sooner or later. According to many he has shown quite a bit of promise throughout this year which I suppose is all I could ask for while expecting major holes. I have zero time to watch (I have to DVR almos every ranger game as it is.) so I'm just very reliant upon the notes others post here

Old
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it just pointing out its not necassarily the most solid evidence. Hopefully his brain matches his speed and athleticism sooner or later. According to many he has shown quite a bit of promise throughout this year which I suppose is all I could ask for while expecting major holes. I have zero time to watch (I have to DVR almos every ranger game as it is.) so I'm just very reliant upon the notes others post here
I've been around here a long time, you gotta pick and chose who you listen to

Old
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Caught behind the net, what do you mean? This is the only negative thing you've had to say so I wonder what does that say?
Exactly what it sounds like.

03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
It says that he's not as positionally sound right now as I'd like and where in the past he was probably able to leave his position and make a play, now sometimes he leaves his position and gets caught out of position by a speedy forward. He makes mistakes like all defenseman but you can see the pedigree and skill set.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Great news for MSC
And to let Ranger fans know he will finish season with over 90 points and leading team in scoring again while playing 2nd line C all season with less talented wingers as they played with Samuelsson all year (Wruck and Lazar) He would of hit over 100 points agin this season if he played first line. Also leads League with pp goals 19 and the pp will be his ticket to nhl.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:03 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And to let Ranger fans know he will finish season with over 90 points and leading team in scoring again while playing 2nd line C all season with less talented wingers as they played with Samuelsson all year (Wruck and Lazar) He would of hit over 100 points agin this season if he played first line. Also leads League with pp goals 19 and the pp will be his ticket to nhl.

What's your scouting report on him:

1. Skating (speed, balance, small step skating for defense)
2. Physical maturity
3. Emotional maturity
4. Seeing the ice (not passing the puck randomly causing turn overs)
5. Taking hits
6. Landing hits
7. Board work
8. Garbage goals
9. Sniper goals
10. Passing
11. Defensive awareness
12. Being in the right position
13. Leadership
14. Coachability
15. Odds of making the NHL

Old
03-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
What's your scouting report on him:

1. Skating (speed, balance, small step skating for defense)not slow but choppy stride very shifty good in tight spot2. Physical maturity Not fully matured will level out 6'1 195lbs
3. Emotional maturity Has mean srteak at times
4. Seeing the ice (not passing the puck randomly causing turn overs)Very good vision prone to turnovers at times5. Taking hits
6. Landing hits He hits better than he receives them
7. Board work ok8. Garbage goals Some9. Sniper goals Many very good accurate shot and deceptive
10. Passing
11. Defensive awareness Average but better as he has matured
12. Being in the right position Excellent on offense knows where to go13. Leadership Not captain material goes about doing his job
14. Coachability Does what is asked of him
15. Odds of making the NHL
I say very good will start out slow in minors by second season above ppg on farm leading pp # 15

Old
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Any updates on the boxscores from games played by Fasth and Lindberg? Seems like it's been a few days since anyone has commented on them.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Any updates on the boxscores from games played by Fasth and Lindberg? Seems like it's been a few days since anyone has commented on them.
Skelleftea is tied 1-1 after 1 period and HV71 is down 1-0 after 1 period. Neither of our prospects has a point.

FYI - you can very easily access this info by clicking on the name of either player in the chart that nyr2k2 so kindly provided on the first page of this thread. (I recommend using Chrome to view it, so you can get the benefit of the auto-translate feature.)

Old
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Seems like fans of The Oil Kings are much more hopeful about St. Croix making the NHL than are Ranger fans.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Seems like fans of The Oil Kings are much more hopeful about St. Croix making the NHL than are Ranger fans.
Plenty of fanboy reports around here from people who root for them on the regular.

That's why I like to curb the enthusiasm so much. It's easily the biggest problem around here. Immaturity usually, right?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Plenty of fanboy reports around here from people who root for them on the regular.

That's why I like to curb the enthusiasm so much. It's easily the biggest problem around here. Immaturity usually, right?
Serious question: which of our prospects are you excited about, BN?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:19 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I don't get why Michael St. Croix is so underrated around here. The kid is not big but he's been tearing it up the last 2 years and no one takes him seriously. Is he not a Danny Briere type if he reaches potential?

Old
03-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
I don't get why Michael St. Croix is so underrated around here. The kid is not big but he's been tearing it up the last 2 years and no one takes him seriously. Is he not a Danny Briere type if he reaches potential?
His numbers are great. It's the Nigel Dawes syndrome that we're afraid of therefore not willing to commit to him just based on his junior numbers. If he does well next year with the Whale you will see people jump on board. And btw, he's much taller than Dawes but yet he has been labeled as a perimeter small guy who isn't good away from the puck. We'll see.

Closed Thread